Home Boys

• The Canadiens are at the beginning of a stretch of 7 consecutive home games. The Habs will play 9 of the next 10 games at home.

The Canadiens are 6-2-2 at home so far. Okay, but not great.

With so many home upcoming home games there is bound to be some tough road stretches ahead. Time to bank some points.

A good start is crucial, lose 2 or 3 in a row at home and the fans will make the Bell Centre feel like the most brutal road building.

1. Kovalev, for one, has got to pick his game up. There is so much offensive talent on this team, they should be lighting the lamp 5 and 6 times a night. Why are these guys having such trouble scoring?

2. #2 Mats Naslund says:
    December 2, 2008 at 7:10 pm

Well, the “not so” secret has been confirmed for tonight. Sergei Kostitsyn, Guillaume Latendresse and Ryan O’Byrne will sit out tonight as healthy scratches. I’m glad to see Tanguay back in the lineup, as well as Laraque. I guess we’ll have to wait and see about the young guys. It is concerning to me, however, that much of the touted future of the organization is watching from the press box. If ever there was a game that could spark new offensive life it would be vs Atlanta, so I hope those guys take the hint and get back into form.

3. #3 Joseph says:
    December 2, 2008 at 8:10 pm

Would it premature at this point to suggest that it’s time for a coaching change? I don’t see any method to Carbonneau’s madness these days. His decisions leave me scratcing my head more often than not. But then who am I to cast judgement? Could I do better? Likely not.

December 2, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Seeing how that gainey and carbo are buddies i think carbo will be here for a long long time.

5. #5 Mats Naslund says:
    December 2, 2008 at 9:20 pm

Carbo is a good coach. As much as he’s killing me right now, I have full confidence in him. He’s a leader who won by grinding, and that is a good skill for these players to pick up. He’s not going anywhere, anytime soon. I just wish he would reward the hard work these guys are doing by letting them play with players they’re used to! Congrats to Matt D’Agostini on his first NHL goal!

6. Carbo is doing almost exactly what Bowman did a few years ago and Bowman was the most successful coach in the NHL, I would suggest that we all get behind him rather than the opposite. I think benching the kids now is the best thing to do. It sends a message to them that if they want to play they need to start to play Carbo’s system. As for Kovalev, I wondered if he would have another good year or not, to me all this talent just goes to waste night after night. He just does not seem to want to commit to Carbo’s game. I said it last spring and I will say it again, if the right player became available I would include Kovalev in a trade to get him. For example, Kovalchuk could be had for the right package. I am afraid that a trade is needed before too long and Tampa could also be interested based on how they are playing.

7. Let’s look at it this way, this team has struggled for the past two weeks. It would appear to me that we are starting to turn the corner. There are a number of players that are playing better due primarily to the moves that Carbo has made in the last two weeks. Yes we had a mental breakdown for one minute in the game but overall we played a good game. So we take a look at who played well and who did not and those will be sitting the next game. The message is working and some of the players are starting to get Carbo’s message. Even Kovalev played better tonight and worked hard on the fourth goal.

For me I would be sitting Begin and Brisebois next game and that is for starters. Seige comes back in on the fourth line and if he works hard he will get promoted. Latendresse unfortunately it is too late to send him down now without waivers. So he will have to sit another game or two. We play NYR next so muscle is not needed but we will have to play good defense to beat them. I see this win as a positive, yes we can dwelling on the negative one or two minutes that we played but I am sure the the Coaching staff will address that one minute. So lets take the 2 PTS and move on.

8. If anyone understands what is happening to this team it is Carbo. He has been through it before as a player and he knows how a very good coach (Bowman) handled this situation. So let the man do his job, it would appear to me that his methods are starting to work.

9. #9 Mats Naslund says:
    December 2, 2008 at 11:51 pm

I agree that this team is turning the corner. I also agree that you need to send messages as a coach. You also need to recognize when guys are elevating their game and put them in the right position to be successful. Its not always the heavy hand that works. Anyone can see that apart Kovalev, Kostitsyn and Plex are working hard. A shift or two together right now might allow them to really get it going. All in all, take the win and get ready for NY.

10. #10 Mats Naslund says:
    December 3, 2008 at 1:34 am

Also congrats to Saku Koivu with two assists tonight tied Mats Naslund (!) for 11th place on the all-time points list in Montreal franchise history (612).

11. #11 Habs 4 life says:
    December 3, 2008 at 11:08 am

Frankly I couldn’t be happier to see O’Byrne and Latendresse sitting for a change. Seems like a no brainer to sit our 2 slowest/ softest guys when we need speed and more grit to win games. This is one move I can get on board with, good for Carbo. Maguire made a good point last night that Kovalev has only had 38 shots on net! Ovechkin has something like 120, Kovalev should have twice that many at least.

12. #12 Donnie says:
    December 3, 2008 at 11:58 am

We keep eking out these games, but tell me, are any of you truley happy with this? Cudos to Carbs for benching Lanten. and Sergi…they both need it badly…Sergi needs to find his game and his head again, and Laten. can stay out…big lummox brings nothing to the game that we need.
    Kovy still not looking like he’s interested in hockey right now…Tanguay playing like a scared little girl….Pleks is trying but I think it’s eveident he needs Kovy.
    Good points last night….I like Lang (or anyone who’s gonna throw pucks at the net) on the PP blueline…seems like he’s the only one willing to shoot, so keep him there. Kostitsyn wants to play better and win…3 pts and 2 the night before….atta boy Andrei. And thank you Guy, finally got Higgins the hell away from Koivu, as soon as you did, 2 pts from our captain…..just wanna say also guys, remember the 8-1-1 start? And remember how Koivu and Tanguay were tearing it up in this stretch? All before Higgy came back and got injected onto this line like a smartly placed computer virus…just saying.
    All in all, still not a good win. When the last placed team in the league comes back from a 3rd period 3 goal deficet, its not good…without Price right now, most of these slim victories would have went the other way.
    Still need a wheelman on the PP desparately…letting Streit goes still sickens me. But guys, Brisbois is NOT it.
    And I like that big George was in the lineup…but I think he needs to add another element to his game…crushing bodies on the boards. Boogard has played somewhat the same role in Min as George plays here, but now he’s added hitting…HARD… into his game…makes it hard for Lemaire to bench him now. Adds another facet to the game that other teams will be weary about…everytime you touch the puck along the boards, wondering if 250lbs of meat will be slamming into you….causes mistakes and turnovers…come on George, wanna see you in every game.

13. You are so right that “If anyone understands what is happening to this team it is Carbo.” He he knows how a very good coach (Bowman) handled this situation and has been a player.

14. #14 Joseph says:
    December 3, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Good insight, and thanks for the feedback. And I guess we’ll find out soon enough whether or not Carbonneau knows how to turn this team around as the season is moving along quickly, or so it seems.

As to the idea that the Habs are turning the corner, I’m not sure I agree that they’re in the process of doing so just yet. I, for one, witnessed a number of incidents in last night’s game which left me wanting to curse at the television. The chronically dismal powerplay, the persisting reluctance to shoot the puck when given a grand opportunity to do so, the blown 3-0 lead in the third and the subsequent 1-goal victory against a subpar team that followed, etc. But perhaps my newly created ‘inner pessimist is simply getting the best of me’ right now and I’m looking for negatives. Perhaps not. Either way, my Habs glass is still in need of a refill. Watching and waiting…

On a more general note, NHL hockey has quite evidently become a full blown metrosexual sport and it sickens me. It’s getting (or has gotten to) the point where the players will soon lose their pads and replace them with little velcro flags which opposing players can pull off in place of a good, solid check, which is often grounds for penalization these days. Whatever happened to this sport? And (a great deal of) its fans for that matter? I recall talking to some Sharks fans friends during the Oilers’ run two years ago and they were persisting on the idea that the Oilers were a dirty team which took dirty shots and made dirty plays at every opportunity. Meanwhile, the play that they were referring to was clearly ‘hockey’ in its purest sense as far as I wa concerned. Honestly, did the NHL need to be shaped into an absurd form of wholesome family entertainment in order to be successful? Of course it did. And if things continue as they are, it will eventually become populated by figure skaters who couldn’t quite pull off a quadruple jump as well as their colleagues. (No offense to figure skaters, but this is hockey.)

15. #15 Habs 4 life says:
    December 3, 2008 at 6:47 pm

You took the words right out of my mouth Donnie. The Canadians have nothing to be proud of after last nights game. To win with an empty net goal is BS and if the Thrashers had had another minute, I bet they would have tied it.

That being said, there were a bunch of bright spots, like Andrei, and d’agostini, but our big guns are still having a hard time. I’m a big Higgins fan but that guy simply cannot finish, he does everything but put the puck in the net, at this point I’d hate to see him go but there doesn’t seem to be a place for him anymore.

16. Definitely a meltdown last night, but at least it was entertaining to watch. I can tell you I don’t miss the days when a 3-0 lead going into the 3rd meant turning off the TV and finding something else to do. It is tougher when it is your team blowing the lead, but I bet everyone here was on the edge of their seat.

It was nice to see Kostitsyn get it going. If he can get rockin’ and Kovalev and Koivu get back to form the Habs should be able to get back to the top of the Eastern conference where they belong.

17. #17 Joseph says:
    December 3, 2008 at 10:10 pm

It’s refreshing to know that others saw fault in last night’s game as well.

Boooo!

18. #18 Mats Naslund says:
    December 4, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Certainly we can find lots of examples to suggest the Habs have underachieved to this point in the season, but I definitely need to remind everyone that with 24 games played the Canadiens trail Boston by 4 points for the division lead, and the Rangers by 6 (with 4 GAMES in hand) for the Conference lead. If this is the worst case scenario I have to admit I don’t mind it at all.

I think we need to be careful in assessing last season’s success. Many games last year were ugly wins. There were few times when the team “dominated” the competition comfortably (and the same could be said about any team in the league). While I would be very pleased if Montreal had had the type of November that Boston has had, the team is still in incredible shape, with all kinds of time to work out the kinks. In the meantime, they need to keep grinding out wins and points to slowly build their game for the end of the season. 2 points every night needs to be the goal, and as long as they get the points, it really doesn’t matter how convincing the victory is. I’m really looking forward to tonight’s game with the Rangers. Gotta love the Original 6 match ups.

19. #19 Habs 4 life says:
    December 4, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Good points made by Mats on this, but it’s not our record that I’m not happy with with, it’s the fact that we’re not winning as a team, it just seems that we can’t seem to string together more than 2 consecutive passes and most of our goals seem to come from individual efforts from 2nd or 3rd liners. If you need any proof of this, just look at our PP record this year.

But at the end of the day, we still have a respectable record and as long as we keep the points rolling, who am I to complain.

20. #20 Senet1 says:
    December 4, 2008 at 9:16 pm

It is exactly those bright spots that are helping us turn the corner on this bad stretch of games. No one is saying that we did not have some bad parts of our game that need to be improved on but Like Mats Naslund said, we have to look at the positive part of the game that we played. The bright spots as Habs 4 Life pointed out. Joseph, the glass is half full not half empty.

21. The boys were looking good for the first half of the game, and now it is looking like the Atlanta game all over again. Hopefully they can hang on in the third and get the W

22. #22 Mats Naslund says:
    December 4, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Wow, the first-ahem fourth line played fantastic tonight! A great and convincing win against the conference leaders to keep a successful home-stand rolling. I’ll say it- the offense is definitely back, Markov, Andrei Kostitsyn are on fire and how much does Montreal love Matt D’Agostini right now? The kid looked amazing out there, and I’ll readily admit that I was a doubter when they called him up. Latendresse and Sergei had better work on their game in practice because it may be a while before they see games thanks to #36. Key of the night: Montreal has been sooooo good at moving the puck from their own end the past few games. So much so that you actually take notice of other team’s fore-checks because they so rarely happen. Great work in the neutral zone and great first passes created countless chances thanks to speed. I’m really noticing that what was disjointed passing early in the year has turned into a fantastic transition game for the Habs. Next up, the Devils on Saturday.

23. #23 Joseph says:
    December 4, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Well, well, well…

That’s a hell of a lot more like it! That’s a lot more of what one would expect of a team which houses this much talent and speed. What an entertaining game! :-) Hopefully they’ll build on that performance and keep rolling for a while.

And my Habs glass is looking much more thirst quenching from this angle.

By the way, D’Agostini shoots the puck. That’s what he does. It doesn’t have to be something worthy of an artist’s rendition all the time, it just has to go in the damned net.

24. #24 Senet1 says:
    December 5, 2008 at 12:18 am

I could not watch the game but I listened to it on the radio. I would say overall they played a good game from the commentary I heard. Every team is going to have some lapes in a game, so I would suggest that just because NY scores a goal does not mean they are playing any differently in the second half of the game as they did in the first half. Sometimes you have to give the other team credit for good play too. Bottom line another win, a strong game and the lessons being sent are working. Carbo’s plan is working, to the nay sayings, give him some credit.

25. #25 Joseph says:
    December 5, 2008 at 1:21 am

They played better than I’ve seen them play in quite a while. I even kept my red marker in its drawer. :-)

Relentless attack fueled by passion and conviction, which is all a fan can ask for.

On another note, Sean Avery is getting far too much attention in the media. Simply remove him from the game entirely and allow people to forget about him. That would probably be the best thing that could happen to him.

26. #26 Joseph says:
    December 5, 2008 at 1:28 am

ESPN highlights: “Maxim Laperierre finding Steve Bejohn.” Cooky.

27. #27 Donnie says:
    December 5, 2008 at 11:45 am

Wow, is this team bipolar or what. All of a sudden they get there game back and play like they did at the start of the season. Great skating, swift accurate passing, lots of scoring chances and exciting hockey.
    They did what they pleased last night…made the NYR’s there bi*ch. Big George finally got some ice time and did well with it. The third and 4th liners played better than the top 2 lines. Kostitsyn is playing like a man posessed…6 or 7 points in his last 3 games.
    Everything seems to be coming around except for Kovy…anyone notice him on the bench last night, staring aimlessly into the rafters, no emotion, like he’s not even there. Even after than beautiful pass to Markov which led to a goal, he still didnt seem happy. Kovy’s one fault is, that he needs to be scoring, the center of attention so to speak, and he’s been far from that lately, and its so hard to get this guys game back when he’s sulking over his poor productivity. Don’t get me wrong guys, Im a big Kovy fan, just telling it like it is, and I pray he can get his game back, and the rest of the boys keep putting forth the efoort they did last night. THEN, fellow Hab fans, we got a contender again. Just a word to the wise though, sticking Kovy with Higgins inst gonna help him…sems Higgy is doing the same he did with Koivu…drag him down. Higgins should be a defensive player, let him check…..Kovy is our main dude for scoring…please help him score. But sadly, it has to start with Kovy, and you cant help the guy until he decides that enough is enough…no more whining or pouting…show up to play every game and find your game again yourself….then you’ll be handed the right tools from Guy to keep on scoring.
    All in all…great game boys, fun to watch again…keep up the good work. GO HABS GO !!!

28. #28 Donnie says:
    December 5, 2008 at 11:48 am

P.S Guys….this is why I like coming to this site, you guys all watch and disect each game the way I do. We can be unhappy over a win and happy over a loss depending on how our boys played. You all have a great deal of hockey knowledge and its a pleasure sharing thought and comments with you all. Keep it up. :o )

December 5, 2008 at 12:57 pm

6 games for avery………

30. #30 Habs 4 life says:
    December 5, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Whhoooohoooo! that’s what I’m talking about. Great speed and determination out there, nothing pretty, (except that begin play) just hammer the puck on net and finish checks. And as good as that game was, just imagine if we had all our lines firing.

Great win. Latendresse might as well send his resume to Tim Hortons.

31. #31 Joseph says:
    December 5, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Donnie, welcome to the Habs Lab, where dissections and microscopic examinations and evaluations are performed regularly. :-)

Avery. Anger management. Uh-huh. Although I’m a product of it, civilized culture amuses me.

32. #32 Donnie says:
    December 7, 2008 at 11:33 pm

So what’s gonna become of Kovalev….any ideas anyone?
    5,6 games with no goals is a slump….15 or 16 is dead in the water..thats 20% of the season.
    3 options, the way I see it…..1) just let him stay there, taking up a spot, and keep concentrating on the rest of the team…2) maybe, if anyone is interested, would Gainey use him as trade bait? or 3) if you’re gonna keep trying to get him to come around, give him back Andrei…get Higgins away from him…Koivu looks renewed and seems to be flourishing since Higgins left the line..throw him up in the box with Latendresse…any other ideas ?

But kudos the rest of the boys…they seem to be rallying around the stagnet Kovalev and doin it themselves. 2 years ago the whole team died with Kovy…seems like this year they took the reins and said”we’ll be playing, scoring, and winning without ya Kovy, when you’re ready, why don’t ya join us”…so thumbs up for the recent benchings by Guy, thums up to D’Agostni…if this guy gets sent back down, Habs mngmt are retarded…and thums up to Price who’s winning games for us and keeping us in the ones where we dont wanna skate. Kovy buddy, better get goin soon, cuz as much as Hab-nation loves ya, the monster can also turn on you just as quick. Let’s go Habs !!!

33. #33 Mats Naslund says:
    December 8, 2008 at 2:46 pm

With the exception of Saturday’s game against the Devils, I though that Kovalev was slowly turning it around. I seriously can’t believe how many times I’ve seen him fan on shots at open nets, or wiff on scoring chances. The slump clearly is affecting his play though. I or oe would love to see the Kostitsyn, Plex, Kovy line back together to see if they can get back to some chemistry. I’ve said it before, but I really think the reason they were successfull last year was because Kovalev had Andrei and Thomas to skate while he could play his slow and controlled game. Watching Lang out there with him is just painful, there is no speed and the result is turnovers which lead to odd man rushes. I’m happy we came away with a point, but I think this may be an opportunity for Sergei Kostitsyn to get back in the lineup. If Laraque is going to get benched in close games, I’d rather have Sergei in the lineup than watch Kostopoulos get double shifted all the time. But that depends on if he’s doing the work that Carbo wants in practice.

As far as dealing with Kovalev, there aren’t many options as I see it. You’re not going to get anything for him considering he’s a free agent and old, not to mention his value has never been lower and we would all be pissed if he turned it around after being traded for a bag of pucks. I think that with Kovalev, you need to forget about stats and try to get things moving in the right direction so that when all of the stats are re-set in the playoffs, he is a confident and contributing leader of the team.

34. #34 Habs 4 life says:
    December 8, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Kovalev is a tough call, I agree that he’s best when he’s got some speed with him so why not throw him with Kostitsyn, and Plex it’s not like he could be doing worse. Last year he did so well is because I think he saw himself as a leader for the younger guys on the bench and his line, but now he doesn’t seem to have that leadership quality this year which hurts his hustle and drive. I think it’s too early to talk about trading him, I think he needs to sit for a while to get his bearings.

I’m sorry, I just can’t defend Higgins anymore, the guy looks completely lost out there, if he’s not falling down, he’s losing the puck. I’d love to see chippchura (spelling??) take his place.

35. #35 Joseph says:
    December 8, 2008 at 8:47 pm

I find it highly frustrating watching Kovalev struggle like this and for such an extended period of time. After all, we all know what he’s capable of whewn he’s going. And truth be told, I like him as a Habs player, and he’s made it no secret that he wants to be in Montreal.

That being said, he doesn’t appear to be overly concerned about his current slump (slightly dated but current enough to be relevant): Kovalev’s drought a head scratcher

Turn it around, Alex.

36. #36 Donnie says:
    December 8, 2008 at 10:35 pm

I think for the most part that Kovy is just playing lazy. He’s not skating MOST of the time, and since the rest of the team started skating and working hard this last 3 games or so, it REALLY stands out that Kovy is not.
    The guy can stick handle in a phone booth, but is anyone noticing what I have been…..he gets the puck, maneuvers inside the blue line, and then just glides….he slows down dramatically and yet still tries to stick handle around opposing players. If he just kept skating hard while making all those moves, he’d get more chances, be harder to control. Really all he’s doing by slowing to a glide is letting the opposition get back and play defense. Now instead of dealing with maybe 2 guys, the whole team is back there. Keep skating Kovy…go hard…remember the 2 beauts against Bos(I think) in the playoffs last year… Kovy was skating full stride on them both.

37. #37 Joseph says:
    December 8, 2008 at 10:47 pm

I find it interesting how ‘getting a monkey off your back’ can change your fortunes. For instance, the Boston Bruins. Not to deny them credit for being a good team for the past month or so, but I find it difficult to believe that they’d be where they are in the standings had they not defeated Montreal for the first time in umteen games earlier this season.

38. #38 Mats Naslund says:
    December 8, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Very true Joseph. Confidence is a very funny and apparently fleeting thing. The other day when Kovalev had the puck on the side board with the goalie pulled, and threw it at the net, I can remember thinking immediately: “finally.” I wonder how things might have turned out in the days since if that puck hadn’t gone in off of Lang’s stick. Its all conjecture at this point, but your example of Boston is a good one considering at first they were winning all of their games by close margins and recently have been blowing teams out. When you have skill, and also have the confidence that you will score and win, you have a very scary combo at the NHL level. I would never admit that Savard, Lucic and Kessel have more cobined skill than our top forwards, but they keep winning and we keep scratching our heads. I’m excited for tomorrow (its kinda pathetic since its only been two days off) hopefully we can pull out another win to keep the consecutive points run going.

39. #39 Joseph says:
    December 9, 2008 at 2:03 am

Well said, MN, and I was honestly thinking the same thing about the empty net goal when it happened. That’s the way things are going for him now however. He’ll have to work hard to push through and make things happen, and hopefully he’ll do so tomrrow night against some stiff competition in Calgary.

40. Kovalev has the skill and talent to play well, we all know that, and he’s putting up points, unfortunately those points are assists. Not that that’s bad, but he’s supposed to be the goal scorer not the playmaker, he needs to play with more confidence as you guys said and the rest will follow.

41. #41 Joseph says:
    December 9, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Go Habs!

42. #42 Mats Naslund says:
    December 10, 2008 at 12:20 am

A solid game tonight by the home team. A good break in the first and solid goaltending by Jaroslav Halak allowed the Habs weather Calgary’s early attack. From that point on Montreal had great speed and solid neutral zone play which allowed them to take advantage of the Cowtown defenders. A perfect example of this was Matt D’Agostini’s goal. The kid is playing some extremely confident hockey these days which is great to see. Kovy had two assists tonight, and while the gods are still ignoring his prayers (see Markov’s goal), he is doing the kind of work that will soon bringhi out of his slump. Looks like both Latendresse and O’Byrne will see some ice time unless the injuries to Dandenault and Higgins turn out to be bumps or bruises. 2 points in the bank.

43. #43 Mats Naslund says:
    December 10, 2008 at 12:25 am

I just saw that Dandenault broke his arm which is unfortunate as he had been playing pretty solid on D. This makes O’Byrne’s return all the more important since Komisarek is still about a week from seeing ice time by most accounts.

44. #44 habknot says:
    December 10, 2008 at 8:32 am

Hey guys, great comments as usual. Kovy is getting by on size talent, and desire [yes, I believe he is trying as hard as he can] alone right now. His timing and luck are awful. Did you see him double clutch on that great Markov pass last night. Last year, that’s buried. I saw the pre-game skate, Kovy brushes against Tanguay and Kovy almost falls! It’s a long season, and I think a matter of time before AK27 returns to form.
    I said it at the start of the year, Higgins is a third or fourth liner on this team; but an awfully important player. He is fast, defensively sound, a big body who actually hits, a very smart offensive player, good at the cycle. A guy who will shine in the playoffs, even if he doesn’t score.
    Matt D is like Higgins with hands. I think Valentenkov would have been called up if he hadn’t bolted. If Carbo has no confidence in O’Byrne, who will get the call? Whomever it is, I hope he performs well enough to sit Breeze when Komi gets back. As long as Dandy is back healthy by March, this can only be good long term for the team. Even last year it was the proven NHLers in the pressbox that was one of our team strengths.
    It seems Andrei has added hitting to his game, I thought he played amazingly last night. Koivu, Lang, Hamrlik, MD, Halak – all had big games.
    Go, Habs, GO!

December 10, 2008 at 10:49 am

I would let latalentless ride the pine for a few more games and bring up pacioretty and see what he can bring. Lats days are numbered i hope.

46. #46 habknot says:
    December 10, 2008 at 11:07 am

P.S. just remember John Leclair, that’s who Lats reminds me of. I’ve said it before, I just wish he’d been down in Hamilton the past 3 yrs. Then he’d be one of the hungry, talented players we’d be able to call up.

47. #47 Mats Naslund says:
    December 10, 2008 at 11:39 am

His game may not inspire, but Latendresse is the best option if Higgins is injured. Pacieoretti has future promise but currently is: 3g 13a -5 for the Bulldogs after 25 games. He is still a ways out from being NHL ready. Chipchura may be closer at 9g 11a +14 after 23. All around Latendresse SHOULD provide enough experience to take up a spot on the third or fourth line.

Tanguay-Lang-Kovy
    A.Kostitsyn-Koivu-D’Agostini
    Kostopoulos-Plex-S.Kostitsyn
    Begin-Lapierre-Latendresse

I’d also like to throw a stat out there that through 27 games we are 7 points AHEAD of last years pace. For all the turblence, this is still a great team.

48. Habknot I agree with you about Lats, I only wish we would have sent him down to Hamilton before he had his 8 games in so he did not have to go through waivers. I just will not give up on a big man at that young of age a la LeClaire. Anyone who does is just being foolish. Higgins to be should be traded for a good defenseman. There were a number of teams wanting him last year and I am sure he would fit into their plans again this year. I believe that Kovy will come out of his slump eventually, right now we do not seem to need his scoring and he is setting up plays so that is a positive. One thing I disagree though is someone mentioned about his leadership last year in the playoffs. It seems to be that is want we lacked from him last year and is the reason we lost in the playoffs. Kovy, disappeared against Philly when we needed him the most. He does not like the heavy going.

49. #49 Joseph says:
    December 10, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Well, if Kovalev shies away from physical play, then I fear that his usefulness in the playoffs will be limited as there’s always going to be at least one opponent in the East that brings the ‘heavy play’.

As to last night’s game, I was impressed with the effort and it appears that the Habs are once again playing to their capabilities. I will say however that that was the third time this season I’ve watched a Habs player take an unneccesary cheap shot at an opposing player and it really pisses me off. Markov, with his team up 4-1 very late in the third, somehow decided that he should go knee-on-knee with Dion Phaneuf. Why? What’s the point? And was it worth taking the risk of getting his head caved in by Phaneuf if the opportunity had presented itself? Stupidity. Plain and simple.

December 10, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Ummmmmm guys….please dont compare lats to leclair. First off leclair was a better skater and used his size to his advantage, he also drove to the net which we have yet to see from lats. Although lats MAY be a full time NHL player some day, there is no way in hell he will ever be a leclair. Other than his size i do not see how lats could remind anyone of leclair. So do you honestly think if we lost lats through waivers or trade he would magicly score 50 goals??? Dont kid yourselves boys. Leclair you say???? I think not