Hot Streak

• The Habs are hot at the right time, five wins in their last six games has got them tied for the 8th and final playoff spot in the East.

Tonight is another great opportunity to climb higher by beating the struggling Capitals. The Caps have suffered 6 straight losses, and bring their horrendous road record to the Bell Centre tonight.

Meanwhile the Hurricanes have the Sharks to deal with and the Leafs have another date with Buffalo.

With the gap to 6th place being only 4 points, the Tampa Bay Lightning are far from safe, tonight they play the Sens.

It’s not going to get any easier than this and anything but 2 points tonight will be a huge disappointment.

1. #1 CalgaryHabsFan says:
    March 24, 2007 at 2:06 pm

Not to mention the Rangers and Islanders are playing right now, we need both NY clubs to lose. BTW who’s starting tonight?

March 24, 2007 at 2:57 pm

Go Habs Go !!!

This game really gives a good chance to make up some ground… going to be intense !!!

3. #3 habsfan_for_life1212 says:
    March 24, 2007 at 3:21 pm

I hope the leafs lose so we wont have to worry about them anymore. This buffalo home $ Home is like the one with us last year. Gorges should play tonight, he played well with Niinimaa,(or was it Bouillon?)

4. NEW YORK RANGERS TIED THE GAME. 1:28 TO GO…………. no one seems to help us. fcuk boston.

5. THEY’VE WON IT. TOO BAD BOSTON SUCK! lol…We vanished their last playoff hopes. Huys trust me, they will nver forget about those two losses we danded them, just like the ones we handed to Toronto last year. I hear talking about those 2 games everywhere. Radio, internet, tv…Yeee baby! That’s how WE do it.

6. #6 Habs#1 says:
    March 24, 2007 at 4:00 pm

The Rangers and the Isles won! No one is going to help the Habs. They waited far to long to go on this streak. I just don’t see them making it. I look at these next few games as a chance for the young guys to show that some of the older guys are expendable.

7. #7 R habs 4 real says:
    March 24, 2007 at 4:10 pm

There is no help coming. Unless NYR or NYI lose at least 2 of their remaining games. it’s over. Even if we win both games vs NYR, I doubt it will be enough. Rangers and Islanders play each other twice more, and if NYR wins tomorrow, we could be 3 back of NYR. better for NYI to win tomorrow. Then we need to beat NYR on tuesday and hope they lose 1 of their home games. Either way, it looks very bleak for us. we’re just running out of games. Unfortunately, we screwed up too many games, with no effort,and by not showing up, and it’s costing us big time!

8. Rhabs 4 real,we screwd up relying on veterans rite from the getgo,so if we don’t make it ,you can blame :Huet,Abby ,Boullion,Dandy,Niimiaa,Kovalev and Samsonov! Of course Downey and Murray were not going to save the day either.There you go ,9 players to replace and 9 area’s for size,talent,heart and youth.That will free up moneys and if Johnson and Bonk want more money,well they can fu@k-off too!!!Iwould happily replace all of them with Ryan Smyth and Lecavaire,with more Bullbogs and Price.

9. #9 R habs 4 real says:
    March 24, 2007 at 5:38 pm

Hey TRICOLOR: I agree with you. I especially feel that Abbyshit lost games, allowing so many soft goals. Dandenault, Ninnimaa, and Bouillon also were brutal on D. Kovalev has been invisible almost every game, and Samsonov’s only claim to fame, is whining to the media in an attempt to get recognition. Maybe he didn’t get enough love from his mommy. who knows?
    We definitely should not be in this position. It is inexcusable. They only have themselves to blame for this mess. To little, too late. It will be a long summer without playoffs, and longer if Gainey doesn’t get any DECENT UFA’s, and make moves to rid us of all the NO SHOW players from this underachieving roster. That’s it! I’ve vented, and you know where I stand.

10. Well there’s something I have not seen yet this year ,Kovalev on fire, holy shit bout time,lol

11. #11 Dan Im Fed UP says:
    March 24, 2007 at 7:33 pm

2-0 carolina

12. #12 Gui-Unit says:
    March 24, 2007 at 8:28 pm

Wow Kovalev is on fire, if he keeps this up, he’ll get a hat trick.

13. #13 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 24, 2007 at 8:39 pm

With regards to #9 R habs 4 real.

Kovalev is not invisable tonight. Go Kovey Go. Yeah Baby, Yeah.

14. #14 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 24, 2007 at 8:46 pm

You guys make me laugh. You really do. You guys have all the anwsers don’t you.

You guys should set up a meeting with Gainey, tell him your ideas and maybe, just maybe he will listen to your ideas. Better yet, he may offer a select few of you a position in management.

15. DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN, I’ve been watching the Habs for 45 fu2kin years and if you think I haven’t learned a thing or two through all that History,well sorry to say it, but your being a sarcastic moron who’s trying too pick a fight. Do I got that right junior???

16. #16 nigelski says:
    March 24, 2007 at 9:19 pm

Been watchin’ the game, but haven’t wanted to post out of superstitious instinct. But my cat Sam told me it was OK as we are winning 3-1 and limiting their chances pretty well. Down, Sam. The Leaf fan went, right after he delivered the beer. No, Sam, he won’t be back. That’s right Sam. I left him outside the door because of his Leaf hat, and that’s why I didn’t tip him. Quit purring, Sam. Sam, it’s wrong to take pleasure in the misery of others…

17. #17 nigelski says:
    March 24, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Yes, set up the meeting. I do have all the answers. But if you get me the job and I screw up, DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN, you will have no one but yourself to blame. Habs are 4-1 victors, by the way. Too bad we gained no ground, but we won 3 “must-win” games in a row; Halak got it done. Another series of games we can’t afford to lose just ahead, but a tad more difficult.

GO HABS!!!

18. #18 R habs 4 real says:
    March 24, 2007 at 9:48 pm

Nice win, but against a team we were supposed to beat. The problem is, the leafs won too. I’m surprised leafs won, because after last night’s loss, I thought they were done. Well, in fact if we beat NYR on Tuesday, we could use their help to beat Carolina. I have a bad feeling that it’s going to come down to our last game at Toronto, to try and get in, and that would scare me. But because of all those games in hand by other teams, I think we’ll be done by then. I hope I’m wrong. We have to win 5 of 6 remaining games, and get 1 point in the other game, and get help elsewhere. Tough task, and odds aren’t good.
    But, life is strange, and anything can happen. BTW, TB is losing big to Ottawa, so we’ll be 2 points back of TB.

19. R habs 4 real,don’t worry dude ,were firing on all 12 cylinders,and beating everyone we face,it won’t be us that’s going too choke and I’ll say we have a 70/30 chance of making her ,so hang on there buds.

20. #20 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 24, 2007 at 10:06 pm

Tricolour. I am not trying to pick a fight Senior. I don’t care if you have been watching the habs for 65 f_ucking years. A few ppeole talk alot of bullshit. I have played competitive hockey for a few years. Blew out my knee. I played goal. That is why I make some comments on goalie matters. I know alot about hockey I’ve played it at a professional level. You guys talk about the same shit post after post. Untill you have played hockey like I have played it. Shut the F_ck up. Wacthing hockey from a couch does not make you a pro at it ok. it is a lot diferent than being out there on the ice.

21. #21 TaLoN says:
    March 24, 2007 at 10:24 pm

Awsome game tonight, boys got it back together, I feel that cohesiveness that we lacked after the break. Samsenov seems to have been the bad Mojo, now that he has been removed Kovy is able to be Kovy again and the rookies are adding that spark we needed to get the seniors playing well. As long as the guys keep stepping up then we have a huge chance, I was really hoping for some losses with the other contenders but hey what can ya do.

22. Guys, Tampa Bay is 100% out of the playoff. THEY HAVE NO PROFESSIONAL GOALIE. Denis????…..Ramo????? No way they can make the playoff. Carolina is well positioned to make the playoff since their roster is complete. New York Rangers might make it by 1 point or may as well completely lose their confidence and step back. The only reason I still believe they have a chance to make to the playoff is ———->JAGR. that’s it! Their team is sh*t. Toronto, eventhough if they make they will be eliminated by the 5th game. MONTREAL is the best team fighting for a playoff spot right now. There are many reasons that can support my oppinion:

1. Before the break we proved we were a top 5 team in the league
    2. Our team is full and complete
    3. We have young blood in the lineup
    4. we have a young and hot goalie
    5. We have two great leaders that are finally stepping their game:KOIVU,KOVALEV
    6. Huet is back on ice. That will boost up Halak to give even better performances( allowing -2 goals a games lol???)
    7. OUR FANS. THE FANS IN MONTREAL ARE GREAT. WE HAVE THE BEST FANS AND WE(THEY- ARE SUPORTING OUR TEAM. THEY GOT THE MESSAGE 5-6 STARIGHT WINS IN MONTREAL.

*BTW..Joshtm, why aren’t you posting anything lately, especially when we win a game by alot. man, you must also support the team. Say great stuff about the team when they’re doing well.

GUYS, I HAVE ALREADY JUMPED INT THE BANDWAGON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. So, you think you the only player ,die hard habs fan,first of all, shut your punk ass hole stupid. Secondly, it’s a good thing I don’t get to see you on the ice asshole,cause after I score 20 goals on ya ,I would take your punk , no nothing ass out!We are the Fans of the Canadiens ON THIS SITE,WHICH IS A BLOG SITE,for opinions and info and if you don’t like it dial out and go to the Laff’s site,I don’t think they have any more room for assholes there,but for you ,they mite make a exception!!Oh ,by the way GOOOO Habs

24. ONE MORE THING ,DIE SOFT FOR LAFFS,WITHOUT FANS,THE ONLY NET TIME YOU WOULD OF HAD,WAS IN YOUR BACKYARD FOOL!!! fU2K YOUR STUPID!!!

25. I would also guess that Tampa Bay (TB) might be a team to catch. Their goaltending is definitely suspect. However, the interesting thing is that TB is only 2 points away from leading the South-East Division as well as 2 points of being out of a playoff position.

Carolina and Tampa Bay play twice in TB’s last 6 games so one of those two teams could potentially get hurt before the season is out. However, TB also has 3 games left against both Florida and Washington.

There is no question that the South East Division is the weakest division in hockey this year; also interesting since the last two Stanley Cup winners came from this division. Hopefully, Florida and Washington can help the Habs out by playing the spoilers and beating their divisional rivals (TB).

The Habs cannot afford to lose any of the four point games that they have left in their schedule (2 against NYR and 1 against Toronto)

Go Habs Go.

26. I am guessing that 92 will be the number of points required to make the playoffs in the Eastern conference.

27. #27 nigelski says:
    March 25, 2007 at 11:14 am

Agreed, Rob. Though Detroit and Nashville are still benefitting from 24 games vs Chicago, STL, and the straight jackets.

28. #28 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 25, 2007 at 11:32 am

Hey Tricolour ! Did I hit a nerve “Old Man”? Talking shit to me. Score 20 goals on me. You could not find your jock strap “Old Man”..LOL, yet alone the net. In my day I could lay down across the net and you still could not score. Anyway, you have a nice day. We all talk Smack right.

Have a nice day, Ok.

We are all Passionate Habs fans right. It has been a very hard second half for us and in the heat of the losses we all make comments that may not make sense all of the time. We vent our fustrations in here and sometimes against fellow Hab fans.

We are grasping at straws at this point. We want to make the playoffs.

No hard feeling Ok. We are men right. We say our peace and we move on.

March 25, 2007 at 12:09 pm

140 Don Carnage
    Posted on March 22nd, 2007 at 7:18 pm. About ‘The Boston 3′.

I am waiting to see our good old #27 put on another great show … GO HABS GO!

Yes you saw it first here , good Old #27 playing like a champ!!!

Odds are against us , but it all depends on how the other teams play , hate to be in that postion where we need the others to loose to make the playoffs but that is not new , nice to see Bob’s future team starting to shine now, funny how no one wants him fired all of a sudden , I said it all along Bob has a long term plan and the future Habs are starting to show there stuff now, giving us a ray of hope for the future.

30. #30 Habs4life says:
    March 25, 2007 at 1:10 pm

habs need to winn there last 6 games if they want to make the playoffs, they might beable to afford one loss…most likely to Ottawa, but the rest we need to win agaist boston, NY, toronto, and buffalo, which will be hard but i think we can beat them at home.

March 25, 2007 at 1:23 pm

Well we have Die Hard he is a Pro but he blew out his knee … on the interent we are all Pro’s with blown out knee’s I say its more like Punk with a blow out wanna bee

32. #32 T-RUM says:
    March 25, 2007 at 1:40 pm

Die Hard…

I too played professional hockey.

The boys got together and chipped in a fin each for me because I brought the beer…after all was said and done I was up $2.29. Imagine….me being paid to play hockey. I only wish my agent would have been as good as Samsonovs ( could’a netted at least $5.75.)

and if you could lay down and we couldn’t score on you, only means you’re as wide as you are tall.

we really need the Rangers and Isles to kick the shit outta each other today….heres hoping.

33. #33 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 25, 2007 at 1:41 pm

Good luck guys for the rest of the season.

Helo & good riddins to you Don and the rest of you “KNOW IT ALLS”

34. #34 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 25, 2007 at 2:01 pm

Hello Habs fans.

35. #35 R habs 4 real says:
    March 25, 2007 at 3:57 pm

I’ve gone over all the other contending team’s schedule, and unless 1 of them lose 1 home game, IT IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR US TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!
    WE WOULD HAVE TO WIN EVERY SINGLE REMAINING GAME, AND HOPE FOR HELP FROM PHILLY. There’s just no other way! It was a nice try, but it’s O V E R !
    When NYR and NYI each gained at least 1 point as a result of the overtime win by NYR, it became apparent that we have NO chance! Face it, it’s not in the cards, and that should be evidenced by the fact that we’re not getting any help from other teams. We needed that to happen yesterday, and luck is not on our side! Even if we win both games vs NYR, they will still find a way to get in, and keep us out. NYI aren’t able to beat NYR, and lost a 3rd straight game to them today. the almight ‘GAME IN HAND” is the KILLER!
    Nice day for golf today. in 2 weeks, the temperature should definitely be warm enough!

36. #36 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 25, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Listen. Do you hear the Silence? You can hear a pin drop. No one is Bashing Kovalev at this moment. No rants to get rid of him. No bounty on his head. Everything is still and calm at this moment. All is calm on the home front. Is this the calm before the storm.

If Kovalev should fail to contibute to the cause on Tuesday night, will the ranting, raving, bashing resume again?

Stay tuned. Loyal Hab Fans to the next chapter of “Kovalev must go” after Tuesday’s game.

37. #37 smiler2729 says:
    March 25, 2007 at 5:36 pm

Hey, I likw Alexei Kovalev, always have, never bashed him. Would I cry if he were traded or left the Habs? No. I just know the type of guy he is and don’t expect 50 goals from him, I put up with his ‘disappearances’ because I know he more than makes up for it in playoffs or when the heat is on (like now).

I like all the players we have (even that sieve Aebischer but I like him as the number 3 goalie now) but I do not see any upside in Whatshisname Perezhogin.

Just a thought eh.

38. #38 Habs#1 says:
    March 25, 2007 at 6:22 pm

I will never like Kovalev. I still don’t want him to be part of the team. ‘Oh, it’s close to playoff time and this is were players look good so I’ll start trying to make myself look good now. I didn’t earn my 4.5 million dollar contract but maybe I can earn the last 500,000 dollars so everyone will love me!’

Odds are the Habs don’t make the playoffs and I’m resigned to that fate now, but hopefully Kovy isn’t on the team next year so they can out that 4.5 mil towards a player who brings it from October all the way to June, not just for a month per season.

March 25, 2007 at 6:24 pm

Know it alls yeah that would be you in a nutshell die hard … I am a pro wanna bee with a blwo out knee whatever !

I have said all along that Bob had a long term plan and we see the real future habs right now the way they are playing …we might not make the playoffs ..but in the end I never bashed the hell out of our GM , Coach or even a single player … I am a die hard Habs fan not a wanna be with a big mouth like some we see around here know it alls for sure !

40. #40 R habs 4 real says:
    March 25, 2007 at 7:47 pm

Hey Don Carnage: Understand this: This is a blog for ALL HABS FANS!
    We are entitled to typing our remarks, good or bad, whether you agree or not. What gives you the right to criticize other fellow bloggers for expressing their opinions. This is an open forum for discussion.
    And for one, I agree that Kovalev has not acted like a member of this team, nor has he been visible on most nights. he has contributed very little in scoring or leadership, nor he worth 4.75 million/year. For him to accept this money, with so little scoring, is highway robbery. He is a disgrace to this organization, and the CH on his chest. So you can put my comments in a pipe, and smoke it!
    I’ll be damned, if someone like you. is going to come on this blog, and insult others for simply expressing their views! Shame on you!

41. #41 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 25, 2007 at 8:08 pm

I hope that I did not start anything. That was my first reply after observing this blog for a while.

March 25, 2007 at 8:43 pm

Get a life hoser someone like me? What do you know about me? nothing at all not a single thing, I get a laugh with you fair weather fans your not habs fans your cry babies , all you do is cry, so he did not have a stella season not the first time a player does not play to his abilities , what would you know about leadership and what he says and does not say to others? You know nothing at all you just presume that you do, so stfu and stop crying .

43. CANADIENS-DAWG, NO WORRY’S BRO,you didn’t do nothing wrong and please keep posting,U-2 DIE_HARD,JUST REMEMBER WE FANS HAVE BEEN ROLLER COASTED ALL YEAR,IT’S THE STRESS OF IT ALL!We need positive vibes from every one,GO HABS GOoooo!!!!

44. #44 R habs 4 real says:
    March 25, 2007 at 10:09 pm

Hey fellow hab fans: Please excuse DON CARNAGE: He is not, I repeat, is NOT A HABS FAN! HE IS A L A F F S FAN!
    He has come on our blog to cause trouble and insult and disrespect us.
    I think from now on, we should ignore his illiterate and obnoxious comments. But, it’s not his fault. He just didn’t get enough love from his mommy, and she probably fed him on cow’s milk instead of breast feeding him.
    Poor, lost soul, who knows absolute nothing about being a true hab’s fan, otherwise he wouldn’t leave such nonsensical statements.
    HABS BLOG: Please disallow DON CARNAGE(or whatever his alias is) from leaving nasty remarks and insults to other true habs fans. He is a LAFFS FAN!

March 25, 2007 at 10:16 pm

Right so someone who never insults the GM the coach or a player is a LAFFS fan, right away you need to attack my mother , it shows who is attacking who, I have never posted and attacked a player or the coach a LAFFS fan would be you. I have watched the HABS float in the 7th to 8th place for too long, thank god we now have a GM that can draft and will get this team back to where it should be, it will take 3-5 years but it will happen. in the meantime we will have to deal with Josh and Die hard bashing players and GM’s and coaches till we get there ….

I wont even bother bashing the leafs I dont need to bash other teams to make myself feel better, unlike others

46. #46 steven greenslack says:
    March 25, 2007 at 10:47 pm

It’s okay, guys.

We’re winning. Now’s the time to bond.

Drinks all around.

47. #47 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 25, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Drink, Yeah, I’ll give Ole Donny Boy a drink all right with his Geritol. Then a drink of Prune Juice.

48. #48 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 25, 2007 at 11:05 pm

I think that this site needs a Psychologist….LOL…..

49. #49 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 25, 2007 at 11:23 pm

This the best Goalie of all time. No doubt.

Sorry it is so long but I thought that it was a great story.

In NHL annuals, there seems to be an anomaly. There is one player who won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the Stanley Cup Playoffs’ top performer and then won the Calder Trophy as the League’s top rookie the following season.

That player was Ken Dryden who led the Montreal Canadiens to an upset victory over the defending champion Boston Bruins in the opening round of the 1971 playoffs and the Canadiens went on to beat Chicago to win the Cup. The next season, Dryden was the League’s top rookie.

Dryden was called up to the Canadiens in March and played in six games at the end of the ’71 season. Montreal won all six games with Dryden, allowing just 1.65 goals against per game. He was coach Al MacNeil’s surprise choice to start the playoff series against Boston.

The Bruins had Phil Esposito, Bobby Orr, Johnny Bucyk, Ken Hodge, Wayne Cashman and Fred Stanfield. They were a scoring machine. The Bruins also had home ice advantage.

Little of that mattered to Dryden, who in 1964 was drafted by the Bruins. Dryden decided to go to Cornell University and the Bruins traded his rights to Montreal with Alex Campbell for Guy Allen and Paul Reid on June 28, 1964. Almost seven years later, Dryden almost single-handedly beat the team that originally drafted him.

“You top a Conn Smythe with a Stanley Cup,” said Dryden about winning a Conn Smythe Trophy, then the Calder Trophy. “A Stanley Cup trumps everything. But that was great.

“The Stanley Cup is a showcase for goaltending. It is the best occasion that any goaltender can have to play goal in because it is in a Stanley Cup when all energy, all attention is there. And when it isn’t quite there, then the defense suffers.

â€?You can always play offense. In a midseason game, the offense is always there. It’s the defense that suffers. When the playoffs begin, that’s what picks up. So, the goaltender, instead of having the obstructed shot, gets the unobstructed shot. Instead of getting the rebound or the second rebound, he gets the first shot. Instead of getting a shot in front of the net, he has a shot from an angle.

“It is the goaltender’s chance to shine and, happily for me, I had a chance to do it.”

Dryden had a huge opportunity in Game 7 against the Bruins and came up big.

“Sure,” he said before starting his next thought. “The goalie is the most visible guy on the ice. When things are going well, you get more than your share of attention. When they go badly, you get more than your share of abuse. That’s the way it goes.”

Dryden played in all 20 playoff games that spring, including two seventh games — against Boston and in Chicago. Two tough rinks, and he survived both.

The Canadiens were knocked out of the 1972 playoffs by the New York Rangers in six games in the opening round. In 1972-73, Montreal finished first in the East with a 52-10-16 record and beat Buffalo, Philadelphia and Chicago to win the Cup.

Dryden sat out the 1973-74 season in a contract dispute with Montreal management and spent his time as a law clerk in Toronto. He returned the next year and the Canadiens finished 14 points better than the team did without Dryden. Yet, Buffalo beat Montreal in the semifinals.

Dryden would play four more seasons and was part of the last great Montreal Stanley Cup run of four-straight titles between 1976-79.

Oddly enough, Dryden never viewed the 1971 Bruins series or beating Minnesota and Chicago to win the Stanley Cup or the Conn Smythe as his career highlight.

The 1972 Canada-Soviet Summit Series was far more important to him, followed by the 1976 Stanley Cup championship.

“In fact, there was one Stanley Cup, the first of our four that really meant more to me I think than any of them,” he said. “We had not won for a couple of years, the Flyers had and we just decided that we were going to find a way of winning that year.

Dryden never viewed either the Conn Smythe or the Calder Trophy as his career highlight.
    â€?We chased (Philadelphia) all year and chased them into the playoffs and beat them four straight and that’s my favorite of all of our Stanley Cups.”

The Canadiens were 58-11-11 that year. The following season, Montreal won 60, lost eight and tied 12. Dryden joked; “We lost 10 or 11 that year, it was a bad year.”

Dryden was a five-time Vezina Trophy winner as the League’s top goaltender, was a first-team All-Star five times and made it once as a second-team All-Star. He rang up some incredible numbers during his career. He won 258, lost 57 and tied 74. He had 46 shutouts and a 2.23 goals-against average. In the playoffs, he won 80 and lost just 32, had 10 shutouts and a 2.40 GAA. In all, he was part of six Cup championship teams.

The 1971 playoff performance and the 1972 season lead to an invite to Team Canada in 1972.

“Really my fondest, most memorable time — the thing that sticks the most — is the 1972 series. That leaves everything else in its dust easily,” said the Hall of Fame goaltender. “You never know that in the context, but as time passes, all of those things became a lot clearer to you. Some memories fade and others don’t. That’s the way 1972 is for me.â€?

Dryden had a mediocre series against the Soviets. He was in goal for Game 8 in Team Canada’s 6-5 victory which gave Canada the Summit Series victory. He played in four games and allowed 19 goals.

Dryden and Soviet goaltender Vladislav Tretiak have been linked for nearly 35 years because of that series, which is probably more responsible for the international growth of North American sports than any other event. It opened the door for the NHL and other sports leagues to bring their game to other parts of the world.

“It’s a nice link,� said Dryden. “It was a tough link at the time. He was a great goalie and was very frustrating to us more often than we would have liked. But that’s one thing that happens over time is that you realize it is those good opponents like Tretiak, like the Soviets, for me on the Canadiens, like those who played on the Bruins.

Those were the good opponents. Those were the people that forced you to be as good as you can be, that brought about your best and worst and most memorable moments. Once a career is over, most of those other moments disappear and it is those that you are left with and you are grateful for having them.�

Dryden’s No. 29 was retired by the Canadiens on Jan. 29, 2007. Of all of his achievements, there is one that will most likely never be topped: Winning the Conn Smythe Trophy and then the Calder Trophy.

Teams rarely call up a rookie in March who becomes so prominent in a Stanley Cup run. But Al MacNeil rolled the dice with a rookie in goal and won a Cup.

Dryden went onto a Hall of Fame career; MacNeil, on the other hand, did not parlay his Stanley Cup into a long coaching career.

MacNeil, who took over from Claude Ruel in the middle of the 1970-71 season, had a falling out with Canadiens star Henri Richard in the finals after he benched Richard. MacNeil resigned after winning the Cup.

He would later coach the Flames to some success, but his biggest contribution to the Canadiens came long after he was gone. Ken Dryden won five more Cups after MacNeil quit as coach.

50. Dam…DAWG,that brought a tear to me eye’s, good one!