Hot Streak

• The Habs are hot at the right time, five wins in their last six games has got them tied for the 8th and final playoff spot in the East.

Tonight is another great opportunity to climb higher by beating the struggling Capitals. The Caps have suffered 6 straight losses, and bring their horrendous road record to the Bell Centre tonight.

Meanwhile the Hurricanes have the Sharks to deal with and the Leafs have another date with Buffalo.

With the gap to 6th place being only 4 points, the Tampa Bay Lightning are far from safe, tonight they play the Sens.

It’s not going to get any easier than this and anything but 2 points tonight will be a huge disappointment.

1. If we want the Habs to win more in 2007-2008, here’s what I think Gainey has to do:

1) Fire Carbonneau
    2) Trade Higgins
    3) Trade Koivu
    4) Bring a descent goalie (no no-names)
    5) Give contracts to the young players
    6) Keep Souray
    7) Bring a descent or “aggressive” coach

2. #2 fan4066 says:
    March 26, 2007 at 7:27 am

51 Name,

Thats a great wish list you’ve got there, but most of these things will not happen. Carbonneau has done a formidable job in this first tenure on the job…you have to look at what Gainey has given him to work with, it’s not his fault they have faltered in the second half.

The only thing we can hope for is a strong finish, and hope it gets us in, thats it

3. #3 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 8:12 am

Well boys and girls all of us Habs Fans hate to do this BUT we all have to hope the Leafs beat the Canes on Tuesday night. We need them to in order for us to climb up. We are not getting help which we need so desprately. We probbally not win all of our remaining games (God, I wish that we would) so we need help now.

Isn’t it sad that we need Toronto’s help. A team we dislike with every fibre of our being.

Don’t get me wrong. I will never Cheer for the Laffs. NEVER.

Is hopeing that they win same as cheering for them??????????

4. #4 Lucky says:
    March 26, 2007 at 8:17 am

hey 51 NAME….did you say trade Higgins, are you on crack?
    give it 2 more years and he will have the “C” on his chest.

5. #5 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 8:24 am

NAME, I agree with your #6.

6. #6 fan4066 says:
    March 26, 2007 at 8:25 am

I’m hearing that even if we were to win 5/7, we still may not make it in. The dammn Rangers won’t quit winning. We didn’t get the help we needed from SJ Saturday night either. Cross our fingers and pray to Christ this all works out. The way were playing right now, which is HOT…..we could beat the swordsmen right now!

7. Name:

re. Post #51 – Who wants to bet that none of those things on your list will actually happen (except #5)– nor should they. With Carey Price in the system, it might be dumb to acquire another franchise goaltender at this point. Also, Souray is going to do what Souray is going to do.

Trade Higgins???? Why!

Carbonneau has also done a “decent” job as a rookie and will be back for next season. A “descent” coach would actually hurt the team — That would be Mario Tremblay.

Now, back to the playoff race… Here’s my theory. There are six teams left for three spots. 92 points will likely get you in. There are two contenders from each division in those six teams. With the play becoming mostly inter-divisional now, the chances are that one representative of the two from each division will make the post season.

Carolina-Tampa Bay: face each other twice — If there is a clear winner of these two games, they are in and the other is likely out.

NYI-NYR: face each other twice — clear winner of those two should advance while a clear loser is likely out

Montreal-Toronto: April 7 — this game might be very important for the post-season.

However, the Habs will need to win almost all of their remaining four point games to advance to the post-season. (NYR X 2, Toronto X 1)

I still believe that they can do it.

8. #8 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 9:00 am

Where there is Life there is hope. I have hope, but not much. The odds are overwhelming stacked against us. IF we do manage to make it to the post season, will we have anything left to give?

I get so disapointed with my Habs, compassion I guess.

WOOF, WOOF, GO HABS GO, WOOF, WOOF…….

9. #9 fan4066 says:
    March 26, 2007 at 9:05 am

the second half collape is now starting to take affect on this situation. If we had just won even 4 more of those games, this would not even be a discussed issue

10. #10 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 9:13 am

We need for The Canes & NYI’s to loose their next games. If they do, then all we have to do is keep pace with them. Win when they win, if loose when they loose we will be in, cause with a tie for 8th we have more wins.

I know, “IF: is the key word.

11. fan4066, in order to win those 4 extra or more games during the mid season was ,if you remember not possible with the play of Huet”backup”, Abby”bush league backup”,Samsonov”egotistical midget puck hawg with crossed eye’s”, Kovalev”a shark that only feeds at the very end of the season”,Niinimaa,”???????!!!”,Dandy and Boullion”NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR THE D ,to bad so sad”,Koivu” where my team go,man I’m beatup!”and Garth Murray-Downey”Go ahead ,punch me out first!” Even The Canadian Institute For The Blind saw that coming!

12. #12 Snake says:
    March 26, 2007 at 9:45 am

Top ten misconceptions in the NHL:

10)Brad Richards is worth over 6 million
    9)Calgary is dangerous team this year
    8)Vancouver has a good cast to support Luongo
    7)Holmqvist is a number one goalie
    6)Ryan smyth would guarantee a playoff spot
    5)Souray is seriously considering LA in the offseason
    4)Justin WIlliams is an all-star
    3)Keith Tkachuk is a team player
    2)Matt Stajan is a NHL caliber player
    1)Alex kovalev is the habs biggest problem

13. #13 Gui-Unit says:
    March 26, 2007 at 9:47 am

I have a feeling Tampas not going to make it.

14. #14 fan4066 says:
    March 26, 2007 at 10:00 am

that’s why I said “if” we had won, 8th would be a shoe-in right now, and there would be no reason to bit our nails

15. Snake, there’s no doubt in my mind ,that if Ryan Smyth was a Hab at the start of the year till now instead of Kovalev,we would have as many points as the Sabres! Don’t forget the fact that the Habs tried to build a productive 1st or 2nd line with Kovalev,”Fools Gold” idea, while Smyth can play great with anybody and is an inspiration to all he plays with!Just look at what happened to the Oilers after he was traded!lol…..

16. #16 fan4066 says:
    March 26, 2007 at 10:21 am

I was really hoping Gainey would go after him, man would he have really helped us, but, there is still this summer, maybe. Better do better than Samsonov this time around….stay away from the europeans and go good ol’ Canadania this time around

17. This just in — because I just made it up.

According to my latest calculations which factor in both a team’s last 10 games and their current records, here are the final standings at the end of the season:

#6) New York Rangers — 96.6 points
    #7) Carolina Hurricanes — 91.8 points
    #8) Montreal Canadiens — 91.2 points

The also rans:

#9) Tampa Bay Lightning — 90.8 points
    #10) New York Islanders — 90.3 points
    #11) Toronto Maple Leafs — 89.7 points

I hope that these calculations which are accurate to within 1.0 point 19 times out of 20 will help to alleviate any feelings of tension that might be starting to be felt by some Habs fans out there.

18. #18 fan4066 says:
    March 26, 2007 at 11:39 am

Boy, I hope this “calculation” turns out to be the gospel come seasons end. I really like where those f’in Laffs sit in all this…thumbs up!

19. #19 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 11:43 am

Rob, I hope you are right. What are you, a Mathematician or some thing ??? LOL…..

20. #20 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 11:47 am

Don’t laugh at the LEAFS just yet. We still need there help.

21. #21 fan4066 says:
    March 26, 2007 at 11:50 am

it would be nice to meet them in that final game of the year, and drive that last nail in their coffin

22. Dawg:

We should ALWAYS laugh at the Leafs! Every single chance that we get.

Also, forget about the Leafs beating Carolina — I think that we should still be hoping that Carolina destroys the Leafs tomorrow night — If Toronto wins, they could be tied with us. Our divisional team to beat for the post-season is Toronto. Hopefully, Carolina can also later take Tampa Bay out of the playoff picture for us.

23. #23 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 12:09 pm

I didn’t look at it that way.

But, if Tampa should beat the Canes ?????

24. Rob,I must correct you on the also rans category,#9 New York Islander-90.8 points ,#10 Tampa Bay Lightning-90.3. Please use more caution when displaying less than points and do you do Tax’s? Wow getting beat out by .2,freeking brutal,if that happens to the HABS….I’M JUMPING !LOL

25. #25 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 26, 2007 at 12:23 pm

Some interesting notes on the recent habs success.

Souray is even on the +/- scale in the last 6 Wins.
    Saku has not taken a penalty in the last 4 Wins.
    Halak playing like a #1 NHL goalie since his return from the Atlanta exit.

It’s great to see for a team’s key players stepping it up in this Playoff hunt.
    And the young guns with specail thanks coming from the insertion of Kostitsyn.

I hope these games have been a real confidence builder because the real test comes now with the remainder of the schedule is with the majority of the matches are with playoff caliber teams.

Notes;
    ~Last team we beat currently in the Playoffs: Feb. 22 Predators
    ~Last Eastern Playoff contender, currently in the Playoff standings: Feb. 2 against Pitt.
    ~We have had success with bubble teams TB, NYI and TOR… not so good against NYR which we have yet to beat this season in the previous 2 meetings and will face 2 more times.

Our fate is not soley dependant on how we react but how other teams react to this photo-finish eastern battle. Only 1 of our remaining battles is against a team not fighting for a playoff spot or home ice supremacy or Presidents trophy. Even Boston game will be tough after the embarrassment we dished out last week in their building. This back and forth jumping favors teams with a game in hand but if we can continue to play Habs hockey those games against us eliminates games in Hand!

It should be a Fight to the bitter end…

Go Habs Go

26. #26 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 12:36 pm

Oh boys !!! I thought that I knew a bit about hockey. But, you guys make me sound stupid….LOL….

But I bet that I konw more about Dawg food though…LOL….

WOOF, WOOF, WOOF

27. #27 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 26, 2007 at 12:39 pm

CANADIENS-DAWG – Hopefully not that tanted rat poisoned stuff going around????

28. coutNY_HabsFan:

You are correct, sir!

Bottom line:

The simpler calculation…

If the Habs can somehow eke out four wins in their next six games, they should be in the playoffs with 92 points. The indications from the hockey gods are looking more favorable right now. It seems a stronger possibility now.

As that guy, Izzy, used to say in his trade speculations, I will let you know for sure whether the Habs have made the playoffs on April 8.

29. #29 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 12:47 pm

Hey I’m a CANADIENS-DAWG. That crap can’t hurt me. I ‘m tough errrrrrrrrrrr.

I eat Lightening and crap Thunder……. Although I did eat a few Leafs one time, it gave me an upset belly. Dem buggers are the worst…

30. #30 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 12:54 pm

Rob. #78. How do you figure that?

31. #31 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 26, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Not sure on what your calculations are derived Rob, but I would gladly use them everyday life if your predictions come true.

Side note we need to change the overtime points system. Teams with fewer wins should not benefit from losing! Playing for ties has chnged the strategy of the game.

2 pts for a straight out wins and OT wins, with the exception of a 1 pt shoot-out victory! This will makes teams want to play every minute of the game…
    0 pts for losing!

32. #32 R habs 4 real says:
    March 26, 2007 at 1:02 pm

here’s the playoff problem. If we finish the season tied with the same number of points, as say TB or Carolina, then it comes down to wins. If we have more wins, we’re in. But Carolina has 1 game in hand, and TB has won 2 more games than us. Even tho NYR are 3 points ahead of us, we play them twice, and they don’t have any games in hand. Carolina has by far 1 of the easiest schedules, and 1 game in hand. They would have to lose 2 more games than us, because ending up tied with them, we won’t get in. They have 4 fewer losses. TB has 2 more wins than us, so they would need to lose 2 more games than us. Since TB plays Carolina twice, we need 1 team to dominate the other and beat them twice. My guess is Carolina, since TB seems to have less than reliable goaltending. NYI are only tied with us, not actually in 8th place, but still have 1 game in hand. I don’t think they can beat the NYR.(rangers have won the last 3 against them). I still believe that the team we need to beat, are the NYR. We play them twice. So unless Carolina or TB screws up , we will NOT mAKE THE PLAYOFFS! We must win every single game,period! Beating Ottawa or Toronto,and NYR twice, will be very difficult! Too bad Abbyshit lost so many games for us! Looking back, that game in PITT, we would have won(with Halak in nets). And how about those 2 losses in January(with the flu), we gave away points, and I could go on and on, but what’s the point? We have nobody else to blame but ourselves, and now it’s just too late, and we’re running out of games! Let’s hope next season is better, if 1 or 2 UFA’s or trades, and we don’t have to go thru this again!
    Oh, BTW, I hope we DON’T RESIGN SOURAY! THAT WOULD BE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE! HE’S HORRIBLE DEFENSIVELY, AND CASE YOU HAVEN’T NOTICED IT, HIS GOAL PRODUCTION HAS GONE WAY DOWN IN THE 2ND HALF,(because other teams have taken away his shot from the point), and he’s not worth 5 million. You’ll see, next season his goal production will be around 12(same as McCabe), and he will still be HORRIBLE DEFENSIVELY, and cost us games, because of his giveaways! There’s no way he will duplicate his goal production, and it would be better for GAINEY to spend that money on a UFA, PROVEN GOAL SCORER!
    That’s all. I trust Gainey will NOT offer him over 4.5 million, because of his bad defence. GAINEY DOESN’T WANT TO MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE TWICE!

33. #33 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 1:12 pm

NO!!! None of this Hog Wash.

WIN, LOSS OR TIE. THAT’S IT.

There will be teams that make the post season and teams that will not because of this silly points system.

34. #34 R habs 4 real says:
    March 26, 2007 at 1:29 pm

I do hope that they change the point system for next season. If you win, either in regulation, OT, or in a shootout, you get 2 points. The loser , in regulation , OT, or shootout, gets NOTHING! That’s the fair way. It would force teams to play harder in OT.
    Another issue, bothering me, is the point system for determining the playoffs!
    If a team finishes in 1st place in their own division, division leaders are ranked ahead of any other teams! Now, if a team in another division finishes with more points than a division leader, it’s unfair for them to be below them for a playoff position. I think teams should be ranked according to points, not where they finish, and it shouldn’t be separated, eastern and western conference. Put all the team together,ie, Detroit, then Buffalo, and so on. Nobody cares about east, west matchup for the finals. It should be the best 2 finishers in all the playoffs. We used to use that crisscross system about 20 years ago, and then they changed. Why? It sure would be more interesting and exciting to open the 1st round against Calgary, instead of Buffalo, right? The NHL definitely needs to a) change the playoff format,b) the point system,c) make the schedule more balanced, so we can see more teams from the western conference.

35. #35 nigelski says:
    March 26, 2007 at 1:33 pm

Nice posts by Rob(57) and county(75). Might as well throw in my own 2 cents. I can’t bring myself to root for TO, so I gotta go with the canes tuesday. I think it would be a shame if both finalists missed the playoffs this year, but I don’t care either way. Rangers are riding some gems by Lundqvist, who looked dead a few weeks ago, but we play them twice, so I got hope there. Carolina has a sked that looks pretty easy, it’s true, but one never knows which Tampa team shows up. Is it the one with a sieve in net, or the one that has big nights from Lecav, STL, et al? I wouldn’t write off Tampa just yet, if only because of those dangerous frwrds. Plus, they are only a couple out of first in their division.

In the end, like so many of you have already said, we just gotta play our own games, and hope for the best in terms of help from other teams. As the nature of that help seems to change on a daily basis, we’ll likely have new wish lists to send off to udo-voodoo by Friday.

36. #36 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 26, 2007 at 1:42 pm

*”Habs_INSIDE OUT By Yeats on March 25, 2007 11:45 AM”
    “Hey, maybe there is a future for Andrew Raycroft after April 7th?”

I had to share this with my fellow posters… Check out the short film in the right hand corner!

Abby might be in this boat…

37. #37 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 1:52 pm

Is it me, cause I can’t see it anywhere.

38. #38 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 26, 2007 at 2:00 pm

87 CANADIENS-DAWG… IT says click to play. Not sure on the Bandwidth requirements… May have to be patent? Or have Broadband? Sorry Not sure…

39. coutNY_HabsFan, I think Clark the canadian goalie is better than Abishit!lol

40. coutNY_HabsFan:

That video on “Clark, the Canadian Hockey Goalie” (post #86) was fricken’ hilarious! However, I think that Raycroft would be charged with too many errors at shortstop. Abby might also be better trying the soccer version of this video.

41. #41 fan4066 says:
    March 26, 2007 at 2:59 pm

84 R habs 4 real

If I understand correctly about your playoff system, your talking about the 79-80 season where they played 1-16? I really liked that playoff format as well, but the leaguee didn’t. so that is when they started using divisional playoff formats. It was used to cut way dwon on the travel and time zones for TV scheduling. So they sort have met half way on doing it with the current scheme. It’s still way better than watching Montreal- Boston every round 1 of the playoffs…..remember that shit in the 80′s….Montreal/Boston…..Montreal/Boston….boring!!!

42. #42 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 3:05 pm

What’s boring about Kickin Bear Ass.

Get it. Bear Ass………

Thank you I’m here all week.

43. The three point games are hurting teams like the Canadiens but I disagree with a couple of points here where some people are saying that no points should be awarded to teams who lose in overtime or a shootout. If we go to that system, then why bother going to overtime? We can just go back to the the 40 years from 1943-44 to 1982-83 where there was no sudden-death overtime and if you were tied after regulation, it ended in a tie. I think they should maybe award 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an overtime or shootout win and 1 for an overtime or shootout loss. The system we have right now has increased parity across the NHL and made the NHL much more exciting to watch. I hope they continue this because parity is what I want!

Ziman

44. #44 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 26, 2007 at 4:01 pm

The game of Hockey is going right down the Shitter. They are ruining the game with all these rule changes and stuff.

WIN, LOSS & TIE. THAT’S IT. DAMNIT.

45. #45 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 26, 2007 at 4:21 pm

ziman 93 – I agree and like that system, but it was out-of-favor with the league and most of the GM’s because it was feared too complicated and discourage new fans from following the point race.

Not sure it is correct that the current system has increase parity among the NHL. How does lightening up play or taking less chances toward the game to ensure a point add excitement? And if you take away, “what I call the Cheap point” take away from the game. I my system teams would play harder in regulation and overtime because the shootout would be a less desirable win. Teams should be rewarded for beating teams not for holding on during regulation. The system would still have the odd 1 pt for separated out for as a WIN/TIE which is not much more complicated than current system. We already iknowledge the Shootout victory is less because it does not count for or against the individual players stats, why should it count against the other teams. I do not think we should make the shootout such an important focus on the game. And definately not to focus for the losers gaining points.

Why should teams such as NYI or TOR who have 3 less Wins current, be tied with the same amount of points? NYR are 3 points ahead 6th place with same amount of wins?

Reward winning not for lasting long enough to pick-up the ‘Al-Cheap-O point is what I say.

46. #46 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 26, 2007 at 4:26 pm

#95 post – 3rd Paragraph was a caomparison to the Habs points FYI

47. #47 T-RUM says:
    March 26, 2007 at 5:51 pm

ROB….

Izzy still reads here….

he still reads.

he will be delighted that you remembered. ( still see him often)

Habs will win 4 of the last 6…..hope thats enough.

48. #48 HABMAN says:
    March 26, 2007 at 7:15 pm

Guy’s:

Kind of off topic,but I’m sure that everybody on here has heard the CBC has signed a new 6 year contract extension. Not really great news if you are a Hab fan but better than if CTV/TSN had the rights to saturday night hockey because they are TOTALLY infatuated with the Leafs. So it will probably be more of the same Leaf garbage every saturday, but they will doing live streaming of games on the internet as well I also heard that CBC will not have the rights to as many Leaf games as they used to (TSN wants more Leaf games,they can have em)so maybe those morons at the CBC will in the future, show more Hab games.

Anybody want a good laugh, go to globesports.com and read the comments about the CBC HNIC story. People are tearing a HUGE strip of Ron, Don et al, even the people of Toronto no less. HNIC needs a complete makeover NOW!!!

GO HABS GO!!!

49. Thanks HABMAN, I just gave them my two cents too ,I basically told them to give me back my tax dollars if all they are going to showcase is a team that has not won a cup in 40 years called the LAFF’S!LOL

50. #50 joburg says:
    March 26, 2007 at 10:43 pm

Kovalev is still a piece of shit !!!
    I hear ya when you say this is the time when he comes alive….well my feeling is, that if that is the case-why has he not come alive already…TO GET THE HABS INTO THE PLAYOFFS.. yeah I know 2 goals the other night..but you know what??? Kovalev is still a piece of shit !!!!!
    As much as I love the Habs, if they miss the playoffs and Kovalev is gone for next year..it’s worth the sacrifice….. I’ll just look at my Habs tatoo
    all summer and look forward to the next season.
    We def need some help from the other teams if we are going to make it, problem
    is those other teams we need the help from are also winning..Bummer !!