Injury Bug

• The Canadiens went through the majority of the season with little to no injury problems.

On the brink of clinching their Division and in a good spot to clinch their Conference, the injuries flood in.

Time to panic? Can the Canadiens play the way they’ve played missing these key players? Will it cost them the Conference and home ice advantage?

More importantly, when push comes to shove and the playoffs begin, will the Habs be ready?

1. #1 Joseph says:
    March 31, 2008 at 3:20 pm

I only wish I knew the extent of the more concerning injuries, such as Koivu’s, Komisarek’s and Steit’s. As much character as this team has shown at times, I think it’s safe to assume that this pleasantly surprising season will be have a bitter ending if these guys aren’t back in time for the playoffs. Koivu’s injury alone is enough to cause concern. Everyone witnessed what ensued after he took a stick in the eye against an all but defeated Carolina team two years ago. Can they win without him? I’m not so sure.

2. #2 Ice Man says:
    March 31, 2008 at 3:22 pm

It is reported that Koivu has a broken foot!

3. #3 Ice Man says:
    March 31, 2008 at 3:26 pm

TSN.ca

The Montreal Canadiens are going into the playoffs with plenty of question marks as captain Saku Koivu is out for the regular season with a fractured bone in his left foot. Koivu, who has 16 goals and 56 points this season, was seen was using crutches and a foot brace as he left the Bell Centre on Monday.

Carbo was talking on CKAC. He says:

Patrice Brisebois once played with two broken bones in his foot. Koivu’s return might well depend on his pain threshold.

Streit and Latendresse are sure bets for tomorrow.

Komisarek will definitely not play again in the regular season.

Bouillon’s case cannot be determined because of swelling.

Carbo was not satisfied with Grabovski at center on Saturday, may give SK a look at center.

4. #4 Joseph says:
    March 31, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Perfect. So the first round is out of the question, maybe even the second. That’s not too promising.

Time to shine, Alt-Captain Kovalev!

5. #5 Joseph says:
    March 31, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Thanks for the updates, Ice Man.

I wish I could translate what the Komisarek bit means with regard to the playoffs. So he’s out for the regular season. No biggie, really. They should still be able to secure 2nd overall. But is that an implication that he may be out a lot longer? If it is, then I might have to join the naysayers.

6. #6 Ice Man says:
    March 31, 2008 at 3:42 pm

I think that everyone will start the playoffs except for Captain K.

But these reports can’t be taken at face value. We will know more by the weekend. I hope.

7. #7 Senet 1 says:
    March 31, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Is SK a natural centre? anyone know?

8. #8 Senet 1 says:
    March 31, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Personally, I would move Lappierre to the second line and bring up chipchura.

March 31, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Higgins is a natural center no?

I think calling up Chip might help but I wonder if the team we traded him too will let us call ?

LOLOLOL

10. #10 Joseph says:
    March 31, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Maybe habman traded him and forgot to let Carbonneau know.

11. #11 Senet 1 says:
    March 31, 2008 at 5:22 pm

The key to the PP is Streit, that was very noticeable in the TO game.

I would keep all of the injuried out of the lineup until the last game. No need to rush them now. Let’s hope that Ottawa loses at least one game and we have second.

12. #12 Senet 1 says:
    March 31, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Don are you kidding because I am sure he is playing in Hamilton

13. #13 Senet 1 says:
    March 31, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Yea Higgins is a natural Centre, and I said the other night that if might be better to try him out on the last few games. On the other hand Lappiere has been playing that position all season and I think he would work good with two of the three, Ryder, Higgins or Sergie K.

14. #14 Joseph says:
    March 31, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Ottawa is probably hoping that they’ll win at least one more game the way they’ve been playing.

Ideally, everyone but Koivu will be back, healthy, in time for the first round. And then it’s up to Kovalev to lead them to the second. He certainly can, but will he?

As to the idea of inserting a younger player or two into the line-up ti give the team a much needed boost (in my opinion), it’s worked before.

March 31, 2008 at 5:28 pm

You need to look back at the thread before this one .. seems some expert claims that we traded Chip .. of course I was kidding

I think we need to rest the players that are hurting also.. who gives a crap about 1st overall if we need to kill ourselves to get there its not worth it, we need one point, or Ottawa to drop a point … good enough for 2nd overall and gives us home ice advantage

16. #16 Senet 1 says:
    March 31, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Well Chipchura was up for quite a few games in the fall, not sure when he got sent down but of all the players brought up and sent back down he is the one I would keep. He plays a good two way game and he likes to hit, something we will need more of in the playoffs.

17. #17 Senet 1 says:
    March 31, 2008 at 5:32 pm

Don I thought you were and I agree about resting the injuried guys, give them a little ice time in the last game so they are not coming into the playoffs cold turkey.

18. #18 Senet 1 says:
    March 31, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Sorry Don I missed all the talk from about #50 to #126 on the previous blog, now I see where you wre coming from.

19. #19 Senet 1 says:
    March 31, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Defenceman Mike Komisarek, who suffered a hip injury last week, skated on his own on Monday but is not expected back before the playoffs. http://www.globesports.com/

March 31, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Good we need the Komisaurusrex back !!!

21. #21 Senet 1 says:
    March 31, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Left winger Guillaume Latendresse is out with neck spasms, although he could play tomorrow night when the Canadiens meet the Ottawa Senators.

Defenceman Mark Streit, who also sat out in Toronto with a sore foot, was expected to return to the lineup.

22. #22 Senet 1 says:
    March 31, 2008 at 6:59 pm

And Komisarek will, he guarantees, be in the lineup for Game 1 of the playoffs, the same rugged, crashing player he was before he was shelved – but one who’s stronger, fitter and better rested. He still leads all NHL defencemen in hits and blocked shots.

“I’m ahead of the game and I’m going to be ready,” Komisarek said. “I’m doing everything I can treatment-wise.”

DAVE STUBBS, The Gazette
    Published: Monday, March 31, 2008

23. #23 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 7:18 pm

88 Habman
    Posted on March 30th, 2008 at 2:30 pm. About ‘Toronto Failures’.
    Last time Koivu got hurt was against a “no call” when he injured his eye, up 3 games and lose , Carolina goes on to win the Stanley Cup!

Joseph
    Posted on March 31st, 2008 at 3:20 pm. About ‘Injury Bug’.

“hey JOSEPH”
    Before you open your big mouth and personally attack me..try to come up with some “originality ‘ and not “plagiarize” my quotes!

Theres plenty to talk about…shows you need use peoples comments!

24. #24 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 7:21 pm

My original one…Like I said last blog, Koivu will be in for playoffs, quoted march 30 th….he will get freezing done and play in playoffs, he will retire after this year!

Carbo says he will be out for rest of season, then he said “who knows”, he may be in for 1st round!
    Jus-like da Habman says!

25. #25 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 7:29 pm

You want to get smart?…who said Price would be in for Playoffs?, during your trade mongering debuts…I said Huet would be traded, I could go on and on, about my solid predictions and knowledge, and you guys have come up with nothing! ABSOLULETY NOTHING!
    Who said Gorges would be a valued defense men, and the Kostitsyn brothers would be regulars, as well as Lapierre would and will be the next Guy lafluer!
    He will score 40 goals next year!
    I ready for more attacks,bringem on, Then you will get it first game of playoffs when Koivu steps on the ice!
    I told you guyz..I have connections!

26. #26 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 7:30 pm

I said the Habs would lose to T.O and they got wasted!

27. #27 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 7:31 pm

They will lose tomorrow and to Buffalo and win their last game…..then you gonna get it again!

28. #28 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Most Important of all.boyzzzzz..I said and was the FIRST to say it!,,HEALTH is the most important factor concerning this team, while all you “favorites” here were whining about how to beat Jersey, and crying about how Ottawa has our number, and of course(you know who you are)the whining about getting first and who we are going to play in the first round,

29. #29 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 7:50 pm

yOU WANT SOME joseph…i GOT PLENTY..ASK THE BOYZ ON HERE,,YOU SHUT UP ABOUT ME..ILL DO THE SAME TO YOU, ANY REGULARS GET PERSONAL,(NAME CALLING ECT) WITHOUT DO JUSTICE, IM ON YOU!

30. #30 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 7:51 pm

wE WILL SEE YOU APRIL “FOOLS” DAY…oTTAWA 5 HABS 3

31. #31 Ice Man says:
    March 31, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Can someone give “FudgePackerman”aka Habman some batteries for his vibrator so he can amuse himself.

March 31, 2008 at 8:38 pm

He amuses us thats for sure… !!!!

33. #33 Senet 1 says:
    March 31, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Lapierre may score forty goals, I think he has the potential, but he will never be a Guy LaFleur!

March 31, 2008 at 8:51 pm

40? We need to write that down and next year pull it out!!! But by that time who knows where our superham man will be >>> yes thats Super HAM-MAN its not a typo

Noday can ham it up better !!!

35. #35 Joseph says:
    March 31, 2008 at 8:52 pm

habman, if I ever had a need to plagiarize you, I’d f**king shoot myself. That’s a fact.

FYI, the Habs were up 2-0 over Carolina when Koivu went down with that injury.

Lighten up, Nancy.

March 31, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Thats NOBODY can HAM it up better …. CAPS LOCK !!!! MAKES ME LOOK TOUGH!!!!

lol no it dont little man ….

37. #37 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 8:57 pm

nO..cAPS iN …WIN EASTERN CONFERENCE!

38. #38 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 9:00 pm

Yes, im not going anywhere, and I really hope you guyz like it!
    Ohhh, I love it,Hablifier going to see it all, babies are babies, bring it on!

Oh , by the way, who’s gonna win the lottery?…Me I am going to say Calgary for the west
    T.O for the East, ant wiener head comments or guesses?

March 31, 2008 at 9:01 pm

LOL Huet never won nothing in his life , I dont think he will this year either, The team with the best chance Pens , But that dont mean they will, I want the Habs to win of course … but I wont be bothered if they dont

40. #40 Joseph says:
    March 31, 2008 at 9:01 pm

habman, in all honesty, you’re my hero. I’m flabbergasted by your unlimited knowledge. Please, Sensei, show me the way to Habland.

41. #41 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 9:02 pm

Cranage, what team did you play for again, I dlike to see if you ever even had “ladies” skates on!!..lol

youd get a boner wearing them!

42. #42 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 9:03 pm

No JOSEPH..you follow me and tell all your friends what you learned, but oh, never let them see this site, theyd BUST you and call you a PHONY!

43. #43 Joseph says:
    March 31, 2008 at 9:04 pm

habman is a bonified retard, folks.

March 31, 2008 at 9:05 pm

word

45. #45 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Oh yes Carnage, you will cry if the habs lose, because you didnt think about the TEAM, only yourself!..even fans are selfish!, you never cared about the HEALTH of the team like I did 2 months ago, you only cared about wearing your jersey to school so you could brag to the kids you pick on…because you only play “floor hockey!”..and your weak in the “mind”

46. #46 Joseph says:
    March 31, 2008 at 9:05 pm

My apologies, Ice Man. I called you on that earlier, but now I understand.

47. #47 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 9:07 pm

No..Joseph is a “copy cat kid’.come up with sometin original, !

Ill give you a pointer, the”C” will play Round 1..go with it!

48. #48 Joseph says:
    March 31, 2008 at 9:08 pm

habman, do you live in Montreal?

49. #49 Habman says:
    March 31, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Ice man, hes ok, he never did go to that “dojo” and ask that guy(instructor0 for that “spar’
    Sp..i could phone him and ask how you did…
    I guess he kicks around “children’…tisk tisk…

March 31, 2008 at 9:10 pm

School ? Work more like … my Kids go to school fool !