Latendresse lifts Habs

• Guillaume Latendresse scored two powerplay markers to break the game open against the struggling Sens.

Gui seems to be getting more comfortable on the first line and the powerplay in particular, where he can get his big frame in front of the net and be difficult to move.

The game can be summed up in one line.

Cristobal Huet out played Martin Gerber.

Huet kept the Habs in it in the first where they were badly outshot.

Gerber has been brutal against the Canadiens dating back to last year’s playoff run. And despite a lot of very bad penalty calls and the Sens turning up the heat in the late third, Gerber folded like a cheap suit and made it that much easier for the Habs.

The officiating in the game really stood out for all the wrong reasons. Not for the sheer number of penalties or the weak calls. But particularly the ‘get even’ officiating style that creeps into every few games.

Bryan McGrattan gets knocked into the boards, busting his nose open. No penalty call on the play. It could have been a 2 minute against Komisarek or perhaps the officials thought McGrattan ‘turned’ and launched himself face first.

Regardless, no penalty was called. McGrattan then made an embarrassing display afterwards while he wrestled officials in attempt to get at Komisarek and found himself gone for 10 minutes.

Moments later, Dany Heatley falls on his own – 2 minutes to Andrei Markov for tripping. Ridiculous.

Miss the call on one play, so let’s invent a phantom penalty to get even for it. It’s embarrassing and a mockery. Whether or not it’s on the Habs or Sens. To quote Lindy Ruff, “That’s a joke.”

After the Canadiens scored two powerplay goals early in the third to take a commanding 4-1 lead. The game should have ended that way. But another 4 penalty calls to the Canadiens allowing the Sens (almost)back into the game.

Four very questionable penalty calls, to get even for the fact the Canadiens scored on their 2 powerplay chances earlier where they broke the game open.

The Habs continue their road trip in Sunny Florida where they’ll meet the Lightning and Panthers for the first time this year.

1. #1 fanatic1 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 10:47 am

what can we do about the officiating? can all the GN’s meet to discuss a plan of action to get some type of consistency?Maybe send a letter of protest, signed by all the GM’s to have an investigation into the type of calls that are being made. I too, saw the penalties last night. the habs were up 4-1, and were then called for 5 PENALTIES IN A ROW! were it not for Johnson’s goal(weak goal let in by Gerber)the habs could have been caught. I think the Sens were going to tie up the game otherwise, probably with another bogus penalty call. It is shameful. All the penalties are ruining the game, and taking away all the flow. Maybe the officials realized, hey the habs are one of the highest penalized teams in the NHL; we need to give them more penalties. I’m beginning to dislike all this trickery, and wondering if I should continue to watch these games. It’s now a mockery of what USED TO BE A GREAT GAME!

November 14, 2006 at 12:17 pm

Congrats to latendresse of the 2 goal game but one thing that showed how old he is was when he scored the second one and was pointing at himself saying “it was me it was me”)Reminds me of gilbert dionne back in 93.Still i love this kid and hope he can keep it up.On another note i really like the way samsonov has been playing as of late he is showing alot of hustle on the ice and it will be just a matter of time before it pays off for him.Great win guys. go habs go

3. #3 smiler2729 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 12:22 pm

I’m so tired of the Guillaume Latendresse thing on this blog. You all whined when didn’t make the team last year and now you pick on him this year cuz he’s not an instant superstar. I don’t care what any of you think, he made the team and he’s playing well for a 19 year old in the NHL so let’s just leave it at that. Let him grow into himself and let’s quit bringing him up cuz when you do (as with this thread actually praising his 2 goals vs. OTT) still some of you detractors will jump on him. ‘Nuff said.

November 14, 2006 at 12:36 pm

Smiler i meant no disrespect to latendresse it was just a point i made.I really want this kid to become a superstar for us and im pretty sure he will be.

5. “Get Higgy with it” don’t forget Mr. Higgins…

6. #6 fanatic1 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 12:40 pm

just let the kid play. How else will he gain experience?At least he helped his team win last night. Maybe he is on the right track, and he’s certainly a handful in front of the net, because of his size and strength. I think he will mature in time. playing with koivu and Ryder will help him, and scoring goals will lift his confidence.But guys, I really miss Higgins. i miss his spark and energy. Do you think there’s a chance for his return in 2 weeks?

November 14, 2006 at 12:47 pm

Lets cross our fingers and hope.So guys what happens when higgens does come back?I think carbo has some tough calls to make regarding higgens,latendresse,kostitsyne.I think murray has played himself right off this team.

8. Higgins will be back by mid-December at which point Kotstitsyn will be sent down and then the top line should be Higgins, Koivu, Latendresse. Ryder can play with the Russians.

And I wouldn’t be surprised and I’ve been hearing that when Dandenault and Bouillon come back that Gainey will make a substantial deal for a centre during mid-to late Decembre. Since nobody would want Ninnamaa(let’s face it were stuck with him), Rivet, Souray, and Markov are the likely trade baits. It probably won’t be Rivet and if Gainey thinks he can re-sign Markov it won’t be him cause he’s the best ALL-AROUND defenceman they have with the best first pass out of the zone.

That brings us back to Souray. The enigma that is his situation will continue to swirl till he get’s traded, leaves via UFA, or is re-signed. And if Gainey can unload Kovalev with a d-man for a centre he will.

Their options will be, for all the talent they’d be giving up:

Peter Forsberg(Philly, UFA at the end of the year):Dosen’t handle the pressure of being captain and being top dog very well there and dosen’t like the losing.Would probably be a rental.

Vinny Lecavelier(Tampa, signed to a long term deal):Tampa’s and one of the NHL’s best players right now so if Tampa’s in the playoffs this will never happen. But if they aren’t it becomes a possibility because they have no scoring depth beyond the big 3 and their defence is as thin as toilet paper.

Scott Gomez(New Jersey, UFA at the end of the year):Wants more money than Lou Lamerillo can give him so he’ll leave and he’s their 2nd MVP behind Brodeur. Has anyone noticed Gionta has no goals without Gomez? Lou will regret the deal he gave Elias after this. Oh yeah, he only has 2 goals this year, none without Gomez.

Daniel Brière/Chris Drury(Buffalo, both UFA at the end of the year):the only reason I through these names out their is cause their UFA at the end of the year but they’re probably not going anywhere cause this is Bufallo’s year to make a run.

Other not so big options that would probably include draft picks coming the Habs way:Craig Conroy, Mike Comrie, Bryan Smolinski, Sergei Federov, Doug Weight, Tyler Arnason, Mike Sillinger, Jozef Stumpel and our old buddy Dainius Zubrus.

Is it early to start speculating, absofreackinglutly. But it makes sense and it’s fun!

Oh Yah, I love the third line.

9. #9 kazmojo says:
    November 14, 2006 at 1:52 pm

Habs#1, I agree that Souray should be traded while we can still get something. He’ll be gone to sunny SoCal after this year, no matter where he ends up in between. But as habsboy4life posted a few days back, the Habs will reportedly begin shopping either Huet or Abby, making a package deal more likely.

But as far as Higgins coming back, with Latendresse playing so well and the lack of a true centre on the second line, I’m betting Higgins goes there and adds some much needed grit between his two Russian teammates.

And a word about Huet’s performance. Yvon Pedneault put it best last night when he said that Huet was “impeccable” for the first 40 mins. But I have some nits to pick with the last two goals: Eaves’ goal was a little too easy. Huet failed to get the paddle down in time — just bad form. And on the third goal he had one hand trying to shove away the melee in front of him instead of concentrating on the puck.

Still, Huet has been on a clear upward trend as the season progresses. Abby has been good, especially early on when Huet was struggling — but not as good as Huet.

10. #10 smiler2729 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 2:04 pm

I wasn’t taking a shot at you PACTUM over Latendresse, I was just speaking in general over the last month and I hadn’t seen your post when I posted mine.

November 14, 2006 at 2:14 pm

No worries smiler.You are right about latendresse though,just let him play and his game will come

12. #12 smiler2729 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 2:20 pm

Craig Conroy, Dainius Zubrus? Been there, done that. Mike Comrie, Bryan Smolinski, Sergei Fedorov, Doug Weight, Tyler Arnason, Mike Sillinger, Jozef Stumpel? Not a chance, either too old or not worth a shit. Forsberg? Injury prone and way too frustrating. Briere/Drury? I wish but the Sabres won’t let ‘em go yet. Gomez? Naw, never sold on him either. LECAVALIER!!! YES!!! Maybe even pick up St. Louis too for Souray/Markov, Kovalev/Ryder/Perezhogin and Aebischer (but I guess they’d want us to take Marc Denis, yuk.) Let’s hope Bob does something creative and perfect for the style of this team…

13. #13 smiler2729 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 2:30 pm

By the way my slashes between the players’ names are meant to signify the word ‘or’ as in Souray OR Markov and Kovalev OR Ryder OR Perezhogin… just to clarify.

14. #14 smiler2729 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 2:32 pm

But don’t you think if somebody was trading with Montreal they’d ask for Chris Higgins? I pretty much think he’d be off the table as I’d like to see the whole built in his mold. I love Ryder too but he’s so streaky.

15. I wouldn’t want the salary that comes with St. Louis… not worth it.. LeCavalier is a nice option though

16. #16 fanatic1 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 2:44 pm

It’s hard to say what the habs will do. I guess it depends on how the team is playing. If we’re winning, there’s no rush, and we can kind of name our price.But let’s be realistic; we do need more depth. We need quality forwards. I’m just not convinced that that we can go a long way with 1 line scoring. how many combinations have there been on the 2nd line? Nobody seems to be able to play with Kovalev. I know we’ve rehashed this issue a million times, but why doesn’t Kovalev(with all his God given talent), want to show off his prowess every night? Boy, could he score if only his head was in the right place. remember when he played for Pittsburgh? He was dynamite with Mario. What has changed with him, and why? By the way, we can forget about Lecavalier. he signed a long term deal in Tampa, and he wants to stay there. Better for us to deal with a team who are desperate.

17. #17 fanatic1 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 2:46 pm

Habs#1: where are you getting your trade info from?

18. Jesus of Montreal

Or perhaps he just knows the game?

Or TSN.com

19. #19 smiler2729 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 3:19 pm

Jesus Of Montreal. That’s funny. Good one. Seriously. I chuckled out loud when I read that.
    On the trade note, maybe Tampa Bay would take some salary if they want to move St.Louis or Lecavalier.
    Just a thought but hasn’t anyone ever wondered in the last couple of years whether the Habs should pluck Alexandre Daigle off the waiver wire or AHL team he’s on and see what happens when the CH is on his chest, I mean, Jacques Lemaire actually turned him into a responsible third liner in Minnesota… again just a thought.

20. I thought, from a retard view here (ie. English), that Daigle was one of the worst players to ever enter the league?

Ever ever?

BUT it would be nice to see some new-new faces around here. The new ones seem to be boiling peoples blood.

21. I think, bringing Daigle is really pushing the envelope of insanity. Or wait, is it conditional on him paying the Canadiens and only if he hits certain targets would he not have to pay. I mean just wearing the jersey would be a great achievement.

Now, back to reality. If ever the Canadiens considered such a position, give all the young guys a chance to prove and also get some experience at the NHL level. I guess we would also be at 500 or below and thankfully the Canadiens are no where near there yet.

However, the lousy performances vs Toronto sure gives me a jittery feeling that somehow the Habs lack a certain ingredient and not being able to put a handle on it leaves a sour taste to ones tongue. That is, over and obove the obvious…(too many already covered on the many posts). As to why so many wreckless penalties and so many giveaways…only the Big guy in the sky knows.

Let’s just see if they can improve. Time is still there to adjust and bond (chemistry) together. A blockbuster trade may eventually be required but only if quality players to build around are packaged together back to Montreal.

I would think Higgins, Ryder, Souray (if he signs long-term), one of the goalies and most of the Bulldogs are safe.

just the same let them play. So far so good. Go Habs Go!

22. Habs#1 has this intuition none of us have. HE said Souray will be traded, so I guess he will then. ENOUGH ALREADY. We all know the situation with our 4 UFA’s on defence. WE dont need to be reminded everyday. And trust me with teh way SOuray is playing at BOTH ends of the ice lately, Gainey will drive a very hard bargain. WE are not goin to trae our rock for prospects or draft picks.

23. Good news guys!
    The Mighty Ducks have offered to trade Scott Niedermeyer along with Chris Pronger to Montreal in return for Niinima and Streit. They will also pay us the difference in salary so we don’t go past the cap.
    The Capitals have also offered to trade Ovechkin to Montreal in return for Perezhogin. Following suit, the Penguins have decided to trade Crosby here in return for Murray.
    With these additions the team is sure to be a stanley cup contender.

November 14, 2006 at 8:00 pm

lol

25. #25 fanatic1 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 8:02 pm

best laugh I’ve had in a while, Razz. Now, on the serious side , my wish for Latendresse , is for him NOT to be another Gilbert Dionne. You remember him? 1993? Anytime he scored a goal, he would point to himself, like me..me..me..!I know he’s only 19, but please show some HUMILITY! We can figure out who scored, without him bringing attention to himself.But I guess that’s something that comes with maturity, or maybe not. Crosby never did that, and last year he was only 18. So, grow up Guy, and concentrate on your game, and not yourself!Just score, Baby!

26. #26 habs_fan_4_life says:
    November 14, 2006 at 8:13 pm

Great game…I’m so happy for Latendresse. The important thing is that we won. Too bad we couldn’t beat the maple laffs like this on Saturday. Oh well…we still play them like 6 times.

GO HABS GO!!

27. When it comes to humilty, look no further than Alexander Ovekchin

That little celebration. On one knee? Get over yourself.

28. #28 HaBs4EveR says:
    November 14, 2006 at 8:36 pm

Yeah guys leave Gui alone. So what if he’s really happy about scoring? Isn’t it what we are asking from him? Goals? Quebeckers (and habs fans in general) are putting so much pressure on him that he wants us to be sure we know he’s getting the job done. And don’t forget that the Montreal Canadiens has the largest fan base in the world (Yankees might be bigger, have to check on that), so the pressure is even bigger here that pretty much anywhere else.

Anyways, all of this to say I’m really impressed by his recent performances and I don’t think we should criticize on him being over-happy about this. Let’s just hope he keeps up the good work!

29. #29 Habs#1 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 8:42 pm

Hey Snake, it’s called fun! I know you probably go home, sit down with a nice glass of water and watch your grass grow, or during the winter watch the temperature on your thurmomiter go down one spot every two hours. And just because your complete and utter devotion, you know what no, your näiveté stops you from seeing the obvious problems with this team but if you want to slag others for their opinion and those who see a probalem than your just as bad as everyone who thought that the Habs should trade everything for Alexander Daigle in 1993.

And as for my info, things I pick up from Satellite Hotstove, Pierre LeBrun, Pierre McGuire, TSN, relatives in Montreal, Spectors nhl rumors, common sense, and good old intuition.

So if you want to continue to think that Kovalev is the answer at centre and that Souray will put his job befroe his family your absolutly nuts.

30. #30 fanatic1 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 9:23 pm

Guys, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. There’s nothing wrong with celebrating, after you score a goal, but try and have some humility, in other words be humble. It’s not hard to figure out who scored,it’s not necessary to point to yourself. I hope the kid scores 20 goals this season, and then he can celebrate all he wants.

31. #31 habs-all-the-way says:
    November 14, 2006 at 9:25 pm

the habs are doing well this season so far.it’s really killed us with higgins out but if anything, it will make latendresse a better player. we just need to wake up ryder! he started hot but i’ve wondered where he’s been. how about Bonk? he may not look like a standout but last time i checked the stats he was +6!

32. #32 Habs#1 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 9:46 pm

And another thing that I forgot to add, with Bouillon coming back and his PP ability and his shot from the point, he’s also an all around better defenceman, he makes Souray expendable before he becomes the next Bryan McCabe. Everone takes away his shot on 5-4 powarplays.

Come on. You’ll have 8 d-men, no one wants Streit or Ninnamaa, so Souray’s the logical explination.His value is sky high and you’ll never get more for him. Try thinking with your brain if you even have one left after watching re-runs of the 1970′s cup winning Habs for the other 14 hours of the day your not staring at your wall going ‘Wow, the team now is just as good as it was back then, absolutly no holes or flaws what so ever.’

Gainey is making this team better through the draft but he has a gaping hole at the #2 centre position and he will fill it. He won’t panic and make it right away, but once Bouillon and Dandenault are back, he will.

33. #33 fanatic1 says:
    November 14, 2006 at 9:54 pm

Habs#1: I hope you are right about us acquiring a 2nd line center. I’ve been lobbying for this for weeks, because we do have a gaping hole at 2nd line center. having 1 line scoring adds extra pressure to that 1 line, and permits the opponent to key on that #1 line. We need to spread out the talent. Also, your take on Souray is correct. The rest of the league knows he has a dynamite shot, so on the PP, they are now trying to takeaway his shot. So, they should try and go low, because the high point is no longer there. They are keying on Souray. So, if we don’t have a point shot, then we don’t need Souray, and once Bouillon comes back, Souray is expendible. Souray for a centerman?

34. What a waste of 230 million! You have other teams that can put together more talented players, okay Montreal can shop the goalies but as for the rest of the team, man honestly. Okay so Koivu plays like a little rocket, and Souray has a rocket shot, but hey, as a team most of the year they need to improve.

Definitely Montreal needs to rethink how it spends it money.

35. #35 HaBs4EveR says:
    November 14, 2006 at 11:52 pm

You guys are right, Souray will become expendable with Bouillon and Dandenault come back. But I’d also like to add that I find that Streit has come up alot since last year. It’s clear that he is a defense-oriented defenseman as in he isn’t the type of guy you pass to so that he makes point shots, but he plays really well in containing the other players and keeping the puck in the other teams end. Ninnamma is terrible if you ask me. He’s way too risky and me makes a whole bunch of mistakes. So I just wanted to say that once the other two defense come back from injury, I just hope that Streit will still be able to play, unlike last year where he played like 15 games and not more than 10 mins or something of the sort.

36. #36 Jack Tornton says:
    November 15, 2006 at 12:36 am

Did you guys see how quick/fast/EXTREME FAST Latendresse’s shot was after being passed the puck by Saku. The reporter could barely show the fans/audience the goal! That was wicked.

37. Let’s not worry about a second line centre that we already have.
    I love Saku but deep down we know he’s not a first line centre.

We need a Forsberg, Sundin, Marleau, Briere or a Lecavalier to be serious contenders.

We land one of these bad boys than let’s start planning a parade.

38. HAHA Habs1 quite the comedian.

Well I dont quite see the fun in contstantly repeating the fact that you think Souray will be traded. Okay, you have stated you beleive Souray is overated. You can have your humble opinion! BUt if your infamous Pierre Mac is relaible then there should be teams interested in RIVET. WOuld you seriously want to keep Rivet over SOuray??? But you also say that SOuray should go because he is valuable trade bait, well yes but we will not get a star center for him. At this point in time it is better to keep SOuray on the team, if that means losing him to free agency then oh well. Its a new era if you have cap room there will be someone valauble to replace him on the market. I understand you are just playnig games with your predictions but lets try not to get too repetitive here. Please dont state the obvious over and over again. WHy dont we just trade Souray to Conroy??? sarcasm.

Oh crap gotta go I think the thermometer just went down a degree,

39. The question should be, when Higgy gets back,, who can handle the “pressure” of playing on the first line with 30 seconds left in a game and Habs need a goal? Easy to play the first line when you are winning, the test is when you are down.. Higgy all the way!!! The basic rule of success, on a team, is that you never take your top guys to fill in weak spots, you use them to get stronger.

40. For the last flippin time, I’VE NEVER SAID THAT I WANT SOURAY GONE OR THAT HE’S OVERRATED. Just because I think he’s going to leave doesn’t mean that I want him to.

And hey, if we want to cut down on being repeditive here, why don’t you stop saying it’s time to trade Rivet. You must say that at least twice a day. And he’ll be back for a reduced price don’t you worry about that.

This team needs a #2 centre. Kovalev just dosen’t cut it.

41. #41 HaBs4EveR says:
    November 15, 2006 at 3:59 pm

Yeah I don’t see why Rivet would want to leave montreal. And I don’t see any possible trade with him that would be to our advantage. It would turn into the same type of trade as Ribeiro for Ninnamma. And Rivet likes it here so I say he will stay. So yeah the only possible trade I see is Souray. And you know what? I like the team the way it is. Of course we don’t have the incredible talent that say, pittsburg or Atlanta or the Rangers have, but the team has really good chemistry AND they work hard every game. Heck you see ottawa with all there talent and they can’t manage much (Gerber is part of problem, not the only one). We have heart, and thats what makes a good team.

I mean, everyone was saying we would be fighting for a place in the playoffs. Look at where we are now. That’s all I have to say.

42. #42 Jack Tornton says:
    November 15, 2006 at 4:52 pm

Why are you guys worry about the second line???

- In my opinion they played better than any first line in the league. Did you guys see the chemistry formed after the second period?

-Well, I guess not because they played , what I call a perfect game! Kostisyn was everywhere.

What a sickkkk game…

43. Hey, things are good!

Stay put with the team, trade talk is damaging at this point… no need to screw up the chemistry. Take advantage (of course) of the panic some teams will be in closer to trade deadline, perhaps. This is especially true with the Abby/Huet platoon — come playoffs it will be the biggest advantage along with timely scoring from Higgy and a resurgent Kovy (who usually shows up for the playoffs).

It’ll never be perfect, guys, but when they put in 100%, it seems the Habs are very tough to beat. Let’s just hope the Riddle of the Laffs can be solved soon!!

44. Riddle of the Laffs better be solved soon, as if 11 years is not long enough.
    If you can’t beat the Leafs without Ray-soft and Sundin and get blown out twice
    your crap.

Who cares we beat a struggling Ottawa team with a struggling power play.
    Look at all the crappy penalty’s they took AGAIN!

These penalty’s have carried over from pre-season.
    Either it’s bad coaching or these players are not good enough to keep up.
    It’s one of the two you be the judge but something has to change, and change soon.

45. I’m going to lauch a pre-emptive srike on certain people(Snakey boy), who will come out here and say that I hate Souray and that I want him gone, blah,blah, blah, bacause he see’s what he wants to. I don’t want Souray gone, I think he’s a great defenceman with a great shot.

46. #46 fanatic1 says:
    November 15, 2006 at 11:09 pm

Souray’s great shot won the game tonight for the habs. How about that wicked shot from Latendresse! the kid is started to come around. the only thing negative about this game is SAMSANOV. He’s always trying to pass the puck, instead of shooting. We signed him to score goals, but he’s constantly afraid to shoot. Why? He’s just not getting the job done. I think he’s the player to go.But we won, and that’s what counts. Huet played well, and deserved the win. Actually, special teams are what’s winning the games for us. Hats off to Muller(he coaches the penalty killing). As far as Souray leaving, it’s hard to part with a guy who has such a blistering shot, and can score like that on the PP. It makes up for his shortcomings on defence. Tomorrow we play against Panthers. I think we can take them, too.

47. We are one win away from me forgetting the disaster on Saturday. As much as I dispise teh Laffs if you told me we would win the next three after losing to To I would probably of taken that deal as much as it hurts to lose to those talentless grinders.

As for Habs1 I am tired of bickering with you back and forth. We are both obviously big Habs fans and should leave it at that. The team is winning and that is what matters. At this point the only aspect that would force a big trade from us would be injuries(knock on wood). Souray came through again tonight and I will stick with my opinion that we will need him to be successful. Ninimaa is starting to scare the crap outta me now. WHen and if Boullion returns the pairing should be Komi/Markov Boullion /Souray and Dany/Rivet or Streit.

Habs1: I look forward to talking some Habs hockey with you from now on and hopefully we can spare everyone else from our petty differences. DEAL?

48. YAY! Compromise!

49. Jesus it almost seems like the “BLACK CLOUD” in this room is starting to lift!
    Tonight a tired HABS team will take on a Rested but less talented Panthers team..Predictions : MTL 4 Florida 3 ~GOD IS A HABS FAN!

GO HABS GO !!!

50. Here,Here Snake. Lets’ just plain stop our bickering. I’m just going to stop mentioning Souray and trades for now because I’m tired of this and he’s playing so well right now. If Bob decides a trade in necesary than so be it.

So let’s divert our loathing, anger and hatred to the one place that openly deserves it. TORONTO.