Michael Ryder signs 1 year deal

• The Canadiens have signed last seasons goal scoring leader Michael Ryder to a one year deal worth $2.2 Million.

$2.2 is roughly what was to be expected after earning $1 Million last season and leading the Canadiens in many offensive categories.

Ryder is sometimes criticized for being a 1 dimensional player but the truth is Ryder is a crucial component in the Habs offence.

The 6’0″, 198-pound right-winger led the team in goals (30), power play goals (18), game-winning goals (6) and shots on goal (243).

The Canadiens supply of goal scoring talent is not exactly among the best in the league. One dimensional or not, Ryder does his job and for $1M he did it very well. The pressure will be on now to be at least as good if not better than last year.

1. #1 chernevog says:
    July 23, 2006 at 6:00 pm

I was hoping for a longer term deal. But This will make for a good roster next season…. They still need a defenseman like Souray with a better +/- and a bonefide goal scoreing line.

2. #2 whotfru says:
    July 23, 2006 at 7:17 pm

Payrop is now 43.379. There is not too much contingency here. Hopefully we wont get into injury problems

3. #3 Borg9 says:
    July 23, 2006 at 7:31 pm

Does anyone know of a reliable Canadiens salary cap site? I didn’t realize they were so close to the cap – which isn’t a big deal, but it would be nice to have a reliable site to go to. TSN updates their salary cap numbers once a month, it seems..

I like the one year deals, it puts the pressure on the players – but chernevog is right, I was hoping they’d sign him to a three year deal w/o going to arbitration.

4. #4 CH tattooed on the heart says:
    July 23, 2006 at 7:56 pm

Well whotfru, you have to keep in mind that Côté and Danis will probably play with Hamilton. So you can take off a bout a million from their salry cap. I also think that when a player gets injured, the salary doesn’t count on the salary cap, like Elias with the Devils. I think, I’m not entirely sure.

Eventhough Ryder had fewer points this past year than his rookie year, he has scored more goals. But the most important thing is the fact that he scores huge goals. He led the Habs in game-winning goals, power play goals, produced in the playoffs(especially in Game 2, OT GWG).

5. #5 Jack says:
    July 23, 2006 at 9:10 pm

Disappointed about the one year deal as well, but it’s better than the alternative and the team seems quite set to start the year. There must be a few changes to ensure a strong playoff run, but I like what I see at this point in the summer!

6. #6 Habs#1 says:
    July 23, 2006 at 10:08 pm

This was a great re-signing by the Habs. He won’t get a long term deal before next year.

I don’t say this very often but I think the Habs would have a legitimate chance at landing danny Briere if they were willing to pay the price. Ribeiro, a first round pick and a prospect.

7. Brieres 5 mill would push the habs well over the cap

8. Briere has,I think priced himself out of the market. Whom out there can afford him now.Especially since many teams have used up their roster signings and cap.Probably why Ryder was signed before his hearing on Tuesday.There will be a trade as a result.I believe Briere will be moving for someone with some other team.

9. #9 Sly Vester says:
    July 24, 2006 at 8:08 pm

I hear Pittsburg and washington are well under the cap space. Perhaps they would be interested. But if he Briere becomes unrestricted that doesn’t mean he will HAVE to get 5 mill. He will take the best offer that can be arranged. Does the arbitration mean that a team MUST pay him 5 mill? Or is that just what buffalo would need to pay to keep him…. im not too sure how it works does anyone know?

10. When a team opts out of an awarded arbitration contract the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. He can sign for more or for less. Briere’s 5 million would be off the table and the Sabres would get nothing in return. This won’t happen too often, teams want sonething/anything back.