Montreal Canadiens 2007 Entry Draft

• Who will the Canadiens be picking up this Friday at the draft? A future star? …Or stars? Or future duds? Late round sleeper picks? Or an average crop of average players?

Will the Canadiens go with local boy Angelo Esposito who almost everyone is pegging them to take? Will he even be available? Will the Canadiens trade up? Trade down?

McGuire Says:
    Montreal is upset about McDonagh coming off the board. That being said, Montreal is dying for a local person to stimulate the fans and the team. The Canadiens are not going to miss this time like they did by passing on Denis Savard years ago. Esposito has some maturing to do, but the Habs think he can do it. Cuthbert scooped me on Couture, and MacLean took McDonagh, so Esposito is next.

Bob Gainey shocked everyone by picking Carey Price. Nobody saw it coming and there was lots of doubt and negativity surrounding it at the time. Fast forward 2 years and it appears to be a pretty smart move and potentially a brilliant one.

So…what’s in store for the Canadiens at this draft?

1. #1 Jaker1 says:
    June 21, 2007 at 5:03 am

I hope the habs sit tight at the draft. If Esposito is available at 12 then take him. My personal pick would be Sutter. With the grit in those blood lines how could you go wrong.

2. #2 nigelski says:
    June 21, 2007 at 5:32 am

I, for one, am not adverse to picking Esposito if he’s available. That said, I figure we’d have to trade up to get him. The truth is, the Habs never seem to pick the guy I think they will. I’ll be watching anyways.

3. #3 smiler2729 says:
    June 21, 2007 at 9:12 am

The draft is a crap shoot anyways so with two 1st round picks I’m pretty the Habs will trade one to move up and take a chance on Esposito. I’m also looking for Gainey to do a major trade, there are always Marleau and Lecavalier rumours but who knows cuz his trades seem to come out of nowhere and surprize us. As for UFA rumours, I hear Bertuzzi’s on his radar, hope not but I guess Big Bert’s better than having more of those Samsonov/Kovalev types. And I’m pretty much resigned to the fact that Sheldon Souray will move on, not that big a loss considering his defensive liabilities, I will miss that slap shot and his leadership though those were invaluable. Should be an exciting next couple of weeks for the Habs with the draft, possible trades and the UFA shopping day… God I love hockey.

4. #4 Habs#1 says:
    June 21, 2007 at 10:34 am

If Espo is available or the Habs don’t have to give up to much to trade up a couple of spots to get him, then do it. I want Brandon Sutter to be drafted by the Habs cause he has everything the Habs need in a player. He’s tough, he’s big, he’s got grit, and he’s got plenty of skill and a hockey pedigree that not many can claim to have. He’s Ryan Getzlaf with better hockey bloodlines.

But many seem to have a feeling that the Habs will make a deal today, Thursday June 21rst. Stay tuned.

5. #5 joburg says:
    June 21, 2007 at 11:20 am

NOT BERTUZZI>>>>>>>>>>> Please Please Please
    he is just another Samsonov or Kovalev, a big laze slug
    and on top of that a gutless hit from behind puke !!!

6. Yo Joberg, a good morning to you from Vancouver Island.I think we could do a player swap with Detroit ,Kovalev for BIG Burt and I’m all for it! In fact I pray for that one.You know Big Burt kinda impressed me the end of last year,at the start of last season he has to learn to play with a new team”Panthers”;then ,bad news career ending back injury the experts said he couldn’t come back from.So does he quit,HELL NO,he rebuilds himself and gets traded to another Team “Wings” and pulls it off.I for one will welcome BIG BURT to the C.H. and the sweet part of the deal….N O M O R E K O V A L E V !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. #7 chitownhabsfan says:
    June 21, 2007 at 2:39 pm

Getting Bertuzzi, in my opinion is a stop gap move for the upcoming season, definitely not for the future. So, I say let someone else have him.

Time to be thinking about the future seasons and who would have the most value!

I read that Espo’s motivation is in question for some scouts, if true, then he shouldn’t be on the Habs list.

8. #8 Borg9 says:
    June 21, 2007 at 3:32 pm

What the hell is all this about Bertuzzi? Hope none of it is true, I can’t believe I once thought he was Cam Neely’s illegitimate son. He hasn’t looked good since breaking that guy in two.

I’m sure he’s a very nice guy and all, but I don’t want to watch him on the Habs injury list all next season. You are screwed in the NHL if you have a bad back – just ask Wendy Clark.

Does anyone know where I can find a good website that has an accurate salary cap figure for the Habs (and other teams)? I’ve looked and can’t find one that isn’t stuck back in 2005, or that even got 2005 correct for that matter. I need a reliable website to go to on this – or I swear I’m going to freakin’ create one!

Thanks in advance for any help!

June 21, 2007 at 4:17 pm

Petrecki better be a hab after this draft is over.

10. #11 Borg9 says:
    June 21, 2007 at 4:50 pm

Thank you Habs8!

I really hope the Habs do SOMETHING to fix the centre depth this offseason. Getting nothing for Souray was a big mistake, and Gainey has got to know by now that fans are getting restless. He’s got to make something happen. If UFAs don’t want to come here, he’s got to make a deal to bring a big center in to put up some numbers. Koivu, although I love the guy, is a second line center at this point in his career – you can’t expect him to be the #1 guy anymore. Even though he gets paid like one.

I was a big supporter of Gainey going into last year, and even bought the company line about Samsonov – even though Bruins fans told me he has one good game and takes the next five off. As much as I like the development of the farm kids and see potential for a great lineup soon, I don’t like his recent record of UFA deals. Or lack thereof.

We need offense badly. We need a big center to anchor the first line. Worst in the league 5-on-5 isn’t sitting well with me right now, that’s a stat they have to improve on next season or it’s out the door with both Coach and GM in my mind – because if they are worst in the NHL 5-on-5 next season you can kiss the playoffs goodbye as well.

I’m hoping for two good picks in the draft – ahh, screw it and send them all + a few bodies to TB for Vinnie and let’s rock!

Yeah right – keep dreaming Borg9!

11. #12 Joshtm says:
    June 21, 2007 at 6:14 pm

I say keep building around Sakku, even though I don’t agree with the continual downsizing and midget habs we have now, only to be backed up by big softies kinda like the little bully and his big retard friend, the only problem is usually the big retard friend actually fights, in Montreals’ case the big retards get the bejesus kicked outta them though, so all we have are little friggen tykes who rile up the other team only to have them basically shut down Montreal….we all seen that just afta Christmas with Sakku and company….but hey if we are gonna keep Captain Hook, let’s build around him at least…..

Esposito would be a natural to Captain Hook’s hooks, another small tyke to get knocked around, should make for fast exciting hockey up to when Charra, Straka and other big types knock down our little fast skating habs….I can’t wait to see Salamander sprawled out next to Sakku come December….

But hey, the other beauty of a good entry draft is you can trade the little farts for guess what…other broken down Rookies ala Salamander style or broken down vets ala Cullimore style, or hey or just trade for Finnish players who skate fast but can’t pass or shoot good..oh wait that’s Sakku and Salamander, add Cappucino Lahte there, great…sounds like we are going to Tim Hortons…yes we’ll have a Koivu Kookie, a Salamander Salad and A Lahti double decaffe!

12. #13 Habs#1 says:
    June 21, 2007 at 7:17 pm

Which Straka are you talking about? The only Straka in the NHL plays for the Rangers and he’s smaller then Saku.

13. #14 MadManPaddy says:
    June 21, 2007 at 9:37 pm

Hey all……I just read on TFP that Montreal is in the mix for Tanguay…supposedly Calgary is looking at Ryan Smyth and would need to clear some cap room(wouldn’t that be a punch to the head of the oilers!) There is also rumour that a trade tommorrow will be announced that Marleau is a HAB. No details on that but ?????? I think we will see the habs stay with the 1st rounder they have and trade the sharks 1st rounder back to them for Marleau. We may see a Kovy and Ryder deal to the Flames for Tanguay. Possible!!

Thoughts anyone…….

14. #15 Signings says:
    June 21, 2007 at 9:47 pm

It has been speculated that the habs have offered Iginla a new 3 year deal worth about 20 million dollars. Word is he wants 21 or so.

In other news, the leafs have just signed Danny De Vito to a one year deal to replace Tie Domi as the team pimp. They hope that the tough demeaner and looks get through other teams confidence.

15. #16 MadManPaddy says:
    June 21, 2007 at 11:11 pm

Per the Habs site…..appears as though they are leaning towards keeping their picks…..obviously Bob will listen to offers but I get the feeling they will be drafting instead of trading…..man…Bob sure seems commited to this whole rebuilding thing…..it may come back and bite him in the you-know-what!!!

WE NEED SOME GOOD PLAYERS NOW DAMN IT!!!!! GET MOVIN BOB YOU #@$#@!!!

16. #17 bossdj420 says:
    June 22, 2007 at 2:47 am

Wow! I miss hockey… I wish it was year round. Anyway, the Habs pick at the draft:
    12- Angelo Esposito 6’1, 180lbs, C, L
    22- TJ Brennan 6’0, 204lbs, D, L
    43- Maxime Tanguay 5’11, 175lbs, C, L
    65- Joonas Jarvinen 6’3, 211lbs, D, L
    73- Vili Sopanen, 6’4, 209lbs, RW, R

Hopefully Esposito will be available. But you can pretty much guarantee Tanguay’s coming to Montreal.

As for the free agents, Kariya, Briere and Hamrlik would be great additions. Replacements for Kovi, Bonk and Niinimaa. Ah, to be a GM…

17. #18 Habs#1 says:
    June 22, 2007 at 9:33 am

Why do I have a feeling that after yesterday that the price’s Gainey would need to pay in potential trades are too rich for his blood?

I’m not as confident as I was yesterday that something will happen now.

18. I think the Canadiens will make a trade tomorrow … kovalev to pittsburgh for draft pick + Malone

If this goes thru, then expect Surrey to be sign the following week, as there will be some cap space avaialble ..

Also, I see Gainey trading one of his #1 picks + Ryder for a player who can help them now … Not sure who ??? Marleau, Lecavalier ??? for Lacavalier they will obviously have to give more …

19. #20 HIggy21 says:
    June 22, 2007 at 12:09 pm

Big Burt??? SOunds like a broken down player to me!

20. #21 Signings says:
    June 22, 2007 at 12:39 pm

Yeah, lets trade all our overpaid russians for weak players nobodys ever heard about

21. Well Higgy21, Big Burt next season might have a question or two,but Kovalev’s next year should be played far away from Montreal;like Siberia ! It will be imposable to rebuilt the Habs with that cancer even just sitting on the bench,lol. Kovalev is a lier and a scammer and a big time game player,as well probably the softest player in the league,you know,a real role model for young fans and young players,deep six the useless tit!!! So once again if the trade could be done,by all means Bob ,getherdone!And I’ll tell you another thing while we’re on the subject,all you idiots are knocking the resigning of Sourey,yet stay kinda silent about Kovalev?You are a messed up bunch of fans ,get real !!!

22. #23 smiler2729 says:
    June 22, 2007 at 1:04 pm

I hope our depth next season comes from the Calder Cup champs Bulldogs…

23. #24 joshtm says:
    June 22, 2007 at 1:57 pm

As usual Crazy Bob is asleep at the wheel scheming in his mind’s eye how to buy the cheapest player he can find and how to dump his expensive mistakes! While other teams make trades today, as usual cobwebs and dust coat the Habs spreadsheet today, no saviours for the habs today, another lacklustre season upcoming next year…..

24. Joshtm, shut your fucking mouth, cocksucker. If you say anything negative about the Canadiens again, I will kick your candy-ass, biatch!! You have no idea what you are talking about and you ARE NOT a Habs fan. Wasn’t it just a few months ago that you admitted you were a Laffs fan and loved them to death, you moron! Why don’t you go back to those 1967 pieces of shit, asshole. I hate your guts Josh. You don’t deserve to be a Habs fan. The Laffs got Toskala and again gave away pieces of their future. That is why they will never win a cup again. They don’t know the meaning of the word rebuild. They are losers and always will be. I hate them and I hate you too, Josh. Go home, loser!

Ziman

25. #26 big al says:
    June 22, 2007 at 6:13 pm

ya!!!! what he said joshtm

26. #27 Habs#1 says:
    June 22, 2007 at 6:48 pm

The Laffs drastically overpay for a shaky goalie who won, then lost the Sharks #1 gig and an overpaid, underacheiving big body in Mark Bell.

The Panthers got a #1 goalie……who disappears come playoff time.

But, when push comes to shove they improved themselves. If Gainey sits tight this weekend he’ll be sending the message that that Habs are looking 3-4 years down the line and I wouldn’t be suprised if the Habs are not very good next season and that Koivu demands a trade at the deadline next season.

27. #28 Joshtm says:
    June 22, 2007 at 8:48 pm

It’s sad when McDonough is the same height as the Rat Bettman! Heck I bet Bettman can bodycheck McDonough without even trying!

Crazy Bob looked like some escaped goon from a mental asylum in his TSN interview! Heck there are bigger more tough defensemen.

And then there is all this friggen “new NHL” what a pile of crap. It’s Bettman’s sure scam to ensure some teams don’t go big and are guaranteed to lose. So what’s the bribe that NHL Governors have to pay Bettman to not be part of the New NHL and have a large team like the Ducks? Gee…

I mean even Straka who is small like Koivu can knock over our big softies fool!

And then we pass up Esposito? Now he’s gonna be picked second or third for habs and come with an attitude now! Way to go Crazy Bob!

Once again the cobwebs swirl around the Habs spreadsheet, while Crazy Bob gets to hog all the coins for his helicopter rides around Montreal! Oh gee! Crazy Bob didn’t make any great moves cause he has to protect his Helicopter Charter budget! Heck let’s all chip in and buy Crazy Bob a helicopter so he can for once buy a real NHL player instead of all the cheap friggen crap no one wants! And to think he was willing to give away the shop to select a loser like McDonough, another small defenseman! Way to go Crazy BoB!

June 22, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Ahhh the draft … always a cra(p) shoot for sure …. Espo is still not gone yet … figure that huh

June 22, 2007 at 9:04 pm

NHL Central Scouting Rank: No. 11 North American Skater

Born: 6-13-1989
    Height: 6’1″
    Weight: 200 lbs
    Position: Defense
    Shoots: Left
    Last Team: Cretin-Derham (US High School – MN)
    Nickname: McD

Central Scouting Report: A skilled offensive defenseman with the skill to rush the puck… has good first step quickness and makes quick accurate passes in the defense zone… has a good shot from the point… strong along the boards as well as one-on-one in the corners… has the ability to dominate a game, but needs to play to his level every night… his offensive style sometimes leads to risky decisions.

2006-07 Season: Had 10-23-33 in 23 games this past season with Cretin-Derham… named Minnesota’s “Mr. Hockey” in 2007, becoming the first Dretin-Derham Hall player to win the award… selected to participate in the Under-18 World Championships with the U.S. U-18 Team in 2007.

What they’re saying: “No. 1, he has great skating ability and great balance. He was the best skater on the ice in every game we played this year. He covers a lot ground with good lateral movement. And he has an offensive touch to him. A pretty well-rounded defenseman.” – Jim O’Neill – Cretin-Derham Head Coach (Dean Spiros – StarTribune.com from 6-19-07)

Ryan McDonagh Scouting Video 300K l 700K

30. #31 Joshtm says:
    June 22, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Geeze, now we don’t get Cherepanov! Watch Esposito will go next. Way to go Crazy Bob! Not using the draft, not using the trade deadline, going cheap! And you jerks think he’s great! All Crazy Bob is doing is destroying Hockey in Montreal. And this crap of planning three years, what, so we can have a small team like Washington and get the crap beaten outta us? What’s so great about that eh? Oh ya, I can just hear Cherry say “look at Montreal, they skate fast but hey they get checked into the boards all that must faster and they fall down harder and faster AHAHAHAAA!!!!small Europeans with wimpy Canadians and Americans!!!” what a shame!

June 22, 2007 at 9:14 pm

I think Josh is stuck in stupid mode , Josh cant you say anything different for one time? No one is picking Esposito in a hurry I wonder why ?

32. #33 Joshtm says:
    June 22, 2007 at 9:19 pm

It’s the blind leading the blind, and Don Carnage is so blind and now irreparably blind cause hey his head is so far up Crazy Bob’s rear! The strong smell of putrid brain damage permeates today as everyone praises Crazy Bob today for going small again, while the rest of the draft goes big! Bejesus boys! If your rookies are being picked based on the Ducks template, guess what, its another season of your small rookies, and your small broken down players being outmuscled, outskated…another season of Koivu in the penalty box, competing with Lahti for hooking penalties! The Scandinavian league is a nasty league full of hooks and nasty wimpy penalties! Only problem is, this is the old NHL where your bigger, faster players grind down your small habs defense and outscore and beat Montreal time after time. One more season of watching the habs lose!

Now Esposito is now going to Pittsburgh where his natural stick handling skills will be used against Montreal!

June 22, 2007 at 9:24 pm

Esposito is small and soft and does not go into corners … he will be a good player but not what the habs need… they got a good solid D man with very good skills … and he is not a small guy either , get a life Josh your a real hoser .

34. Gee ,do ya think Pittburg has enough young talent? Why do I think were going to get blown up playing the Pens this year.This depresses me .

35. #36 Joshtm says:
    June 22, 2007 at 9:28 pm

I can’t wait to wipe Carnage’s feces in his own face come December when Esposito goes out of his way to prove Gainey and Gainey’s midget-minded recruiters wrong! HAHAHAHAAA!!!!! another Lecavalier, another Ovechkin, another Crosby who relishes scoring against what they know is a sick hockey organization like Montreal has become. Obviously no one seems to realize that at the helm is a brain dead has been named Crazy Bob who doesn’t care and only wants to go cheap and small so he won’t have to worry about winning! LOSER!!!!!

June 22, 2007 at 9:28 pm

I dont think we will get blown up by Pittsburgh … we will see how things play out, Pittsburgh has some great young players, but so does Montreal and I hope we see a few more real soon.

June 22, 2007 at 9:30 pm

Right and we have Carey Price … a goalie that can stop tons of shots and is a proven winner , Calder, MVP , World Juniors … winners are winners and he has proven he is a natural winner ………… Josh get a life seriously .

38. #39 Joshtm says:
    June 22, 2007 at 9:31 pm

Actually McDonough is criticized for not going into the corners, he is criticized for taking chances cause of his small size in comparision to the larger more able players. Get your facts straight! 200 pounds and 6.1 inches is a midget in the NHL, heck that puts McDonough at a disadvantage, another softie defenseman to add to our roster of already too soft defensemen!

June 22, 2007 at 9:33 pm

shut the fudge up of course a D man that leads a rush can leave something open but he is skilled and can learn … he is STRONG ALONG THE BOARDS AND AS WELL AS ONE ON ONE IN THE CORNERS …cant you read loser ?

40. #41 Joshtm says:
    June 22, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Thank God! Finally, a decent offensive two way forward with some decent skill! Pachioretti could save us from the small minded, small forwards and defense path Crazy Bob has gone. Unfortunately, Pach is only one player, on one line, that means Crazy Bob has not solved a solid two or three lines that can both provide offense or solid defense…..there is at least the summer to help with clawing outta the bad moves of today. But knowing Crazy Bob, he’ll trade Pach for another broken down Finnish rookie or defense….and Pach and Esposito will come back and remind Montreal of just how bad it has become….now I know why no one in the league wants to come to Montreal. Who wants to play with really crappy players, join a GM who has the midas touch? It’s not the media, its not the fans, good hockey players don’t wanna come to Montreal cause hey, there are no good hockey players left in Montreal!

June 22, 2007 at 9:38 pm

espo is 6’1 same size as mcdonagh.Why do you think so many teams passed on espo.Joshtm maybe you should get a gm job since you seem to no more than brian burke your buddy who also passed on espo hahahahahahaha loser

42. #43 Joshtm says:
    June 22, 2007 at 9:43 pm

Do you realize how funny you sound Pactum? Espo is the same size as mcdonagh…AHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!! Mcnuggets is supposed to play defense! Another small defenseman! Espo is a forward! YOU FOOL!!!!! One more person to remember when Espo knocks Mcnuggets down on the way to the net, I can’t wait to rub this in your face next December when the supposedly small Espo also knocks down Markov, Johnson, heck anyone on the habs organization even Youpie! Heck Montreal doesn’t know how to stand up for itself anymore!

June 22, 2007 at 9:47 pm

So all defensmen need to be 7 foot tall you stupid teabagger hahahahah.I know mcdonagh is a d-man too you idiot.You must be upset because your leafs screwed themselves again hahahahahahahahah

June 22, 2007 at 9:50 pm

Oh and by the way espo will NOT be knocking anything over except your picture on your moms nightstand when he leaves at night hahahaha.We all know how much your mom loves italian guys so i heard

June 22, 2007 at 9:52 pm

Espo weighs 185. all wet that is

46. #47 Joshtm says:
    June 22, 2007 at 9:54 pm

Oh geeze Pactum….its not size, its drafting skeleton players you fool! Look at ragdoll Ninny! Or look at Knockdown Koivu….or wobbly Johnson…..or that other beanbag of a defenseman Markov who morphs into nothing at the sight of the puck or a check, and conveniently falls on his own goalie and blames the scoring on the goalie as opposed to actually defending against being scored on….its called playing defense. In the new Old New NHL its a physical game fool! What you need a history lesson? This year Montreal was shut down, because it did not have strength and no offense and the defense just sucked! And bigger faster teams won! Hello???? Where were you Pactum? Oh wait, I forgot, up Crazy Bob’s rear, no wonder you missed an entire year!!! HAHAHAHAAA!!!!!

June 22, 2007 at 9:54 pm

NHL Central Scouting Rank: No. 8 North American Skater

Born: 2-20-1989
    Height: 6’1″
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Position: Center
    Shoots: Left
    Last Team: Quebec Remparts (QMJHL)
    Nickname: Espo

Central Scouting Report: A skilled forward with excellent skating ability… his top-end speed and mobility backs off defenders… sees the ice well and has the ability to make pin-point passes… not afraid to go to the net… needs to improve his physical presence and his play in traffic… needs to show more consistency.

2006-07 Season: Had 27-52-79 in 60 games with Quebec this season… participated in the 2007 CHL Top Prospects game… was the QMJHL Player of the Week on Nov. 16, after he had 4-7-11 in three games of the previous week.

What they’re saying: “Instead of looking at what he does right, (scouts) look hard for flaws. He’s under a microscope and that’s not always fair. A lot of clubs would love to bring Angelo Esposito into the fold – That hasn’t changed.” – NHL Scout (Columbus Dispatch – 6-10-07)

June 22, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Boo hoo souray is leaving boo hoo we didnt get espo hahahahahaha you are a joke joshtm.Your not even a fan of the habs dorkwad.

49. #50 habsfan_for_life1212 says:
    June 22, 2007 at 10:17 pm

hey josh, do you mind if we talk about prospects instead of your constant koivu bashing. dont you think we get it enough.