Montreal Canadiens 2007 Entry Draft

• Who will the Canadiens be picking up this Friday at the draft? A future star? …Or stars? Or future duds? Late round sleeper picks? Or an average crop of average players?

Will the Canadiens go with local boy Angelo Esposito who almost everyone is pegging them to take? Will he even be available? Will the Canadiens trade up? Trade down?

McGuire Says:
    Montreal is upset about McDonagh coming off the board. That being said, Montreal is dying for a local person to stimulate the fans and the team. The Canadiens are not going to miss this time like they did by passing on Denis Savard years ago. Esposito has some maturing to do, but the Habs think he can do it. Cuthbert scooped me on Couture, and MacLean took McDonagh, so Esposito is next.

Bob Gainey shocked everyone by picking Carey Price. Nobody saw it coming and there was lots of doubt and negativity surrounding it at the time. Fast forward 2 years and it appears to be a pretty smart move and potentially a brilliant one.

So…what’s in store for the Canadiens at this draft?

June 22, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Sioux City • USHL
    6’2″, 203 lbs. Left wing, shoots left
    Born: November 20, 1988 in New Canaan, Connecticut
    Final Ranking: 16 • Mid-Term Ranking: 23 • North American Skater

Central Scouting Report: A competitive power forward with a good physical presence … has a very good wrist shot with a quick release … is a good skater with excellent first step quickness … strong in the faceoff circle and does what it takes to help his team win … needs to improve his consistency around the net … effective on the penalty kill, but needs to improve his defensive anticipation.

Hockey Profile: Selected to the 2007 USHL Prospects/All-Star game … will attend University of Michigan in 2007 … played his first season in the USHL in 2006-07, recording 21 goals, 42 assists in 60 games played … prior to the USHL, played for The Taft School in Watertown Connecticut.

If we go by what Josh says he is another small fry and will be crushed because he is too small for the NHL ..

June 22, 2007 at 10:19 pm

Joshtm loves big burly men in more ways than one hahhahahahahaha

June 22, 2007 at 10:21 pm

Anyways back on topic i think gainey did a good job in the first round but only time will tell how it all ends up.GO HABS GO

4. Guy’s ,stop your bickering’s embarrassing! You know Kovalev is going to save the day! He said”I want be best hockey player!”.WE ARE SO SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 22, 2007 at 10:24 pm

Thats right there is no way to really know untill we see them in the NHL if ever they get there.. But your not allowed to say Bob did a good job here … no one is allowed to praise the Habs here this is the Habs bashing site not a fan site !!!

June 22, 2007 at 10:27 pm

lol oh sorry don my bad i almost forgot hahahaha.

7. #7 MadmanPaddy says:
    June 22, 2007 at 10:41 pm

I said in another blog…..mark my words, if they don’t take Esposito it will bite them in the butt worse than Savard…..proved right tonite. Crosby, Esposito……..he could be as bad as you all say but doesn’t matter playing with Crosby..he is now a star!!!!

Now, I hate Bob Gainey…..this guy is screwing his own hockey team….no trades, not signing Souray, bad picks…..time to fire him and hire McGuire!

That’s one train of thought……..Price??????not Brule????? Looks like a good pick now……who knows, maybe these were the right choices…..now we need to see some moves…..I say get Tanguay or Marleau or trade some of the prospects for Vinnie……….Bob needs to make some moves…..I am getting scared!!!

8. #8 Habs#1 says:
    June 22, 2007 at 11:40 pm

Wow, a GM running one of the most offensively challenged teams in the NHL, and Bob passes over the local kid who will be boom or bust in Espo and a can’t miss Russian in Cherepanov who is going to be a 50 goal guy.

Instead they go with, for the second year in a row, Mr.Hockey from the Minnesota high school league again in McDonagh and I guy who looks like a guy the Habs could use in Max Pacioretty. But both of these guys are going to take a while. And they are American! No offense intended to Americans, but didn’t we learn our lesson with LeClair, Schneider and Chelios? The minute these guys turn UFA they’re going back to the States if they turn into star players.

Gainey is really sticking with the build threw the draft philosophy and this won’t appease the natives or Koivu! If the Habs are struggling to make the playoffs again this year I have a feeling that Koivu will asked to be traded to a contender, and since he has a NTC, he holds the cards on who the Habs can trade him to.

RDS is reporting however that all the major deals will go down tommorow, so we’ll see.

June 23, 2007 at 12:27 am

Right Habs one of the most challenged ? Look at the list of teams with less goals and assists you have no clue

They are 15th thats bang in the middle no where near the bottom … more bull from the habs bashers

June 23, 2007 at 12:31 am

And Paddy care to explain why no one took Esposito in the top 10? No wait top 15? I guess its just Bob that will get bitten right ??

You guys are unreal … 11 teams had a shot at that guy no one went for him and worse no one after Montreal was in a hurry for him either… But you guys know better thats why you are in the NHL … no wait your not ! I dont pretend to know but at least , I dont bash the Habs to high hell every post …

June 23, 2007 at 12:45 am

I mean hello the Wings only had 13 goals more over 82 games , do you guys know what 13 goals is over 82 games ? Right the habs cant score yeah ok boys.

12. Mr Carnage,I admire your passion and dedication concerning our Habs team; that being said ,there is no comparing the Habs with Detroit. While it’s true the Habs scored 13 fewer,as a team there +\- was totaly horrific,add Detroit as a perennial play-off contender and the fact the Wings were not in the finals last time,the point is useless. The reality Don is all fans on this Blog site love the Habs and most of the fans are AT WITTS END AND WANT CHANGES NOW.Enough with the rebuilding,the loosing,the horrible play-off results”if we even get in them”:and enough with the excuses already…..FIX THE FUCKING TEAM!!!!!

13. #13 BarrieHabFan says:
    June 23, 2007 at 2:18 am

Too much over-analyzing of every single detail of hockey operations. You won’t know for years who did well or not at this draft.
    Seriously, some of you really have a problem (Josh). Don’t you have anything else to do other than complain non-stop? And if you have to complain all the time can you find something new to complain about?
    The draft in recent years is far from a problem with the habs. And I suspect this draft will follow that pattern.
    So chill out, relax, wait for free agency to start.
    And take solace in this thought:
    Thank God I’m not a Leafs fan!

14. #14 MadManPaddy says:
    June 23, 2007 at 2:53 am

Don Carnage….sorry…..I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. I sincerely hope you can forgive my negativity..it’s just that I am so upset that my beloved Montreal Canadiens are struggling. I so desperately wish I could do something to assist them. I am just so broken up here…I was really counting on Mr. Gainey to make some imrpovements and I feel that he did not do that. I am very disappointed. I hope that he is able to improve the team through free agency. I believe with every fibre of my body that Montreal can be restored to its prior glory. I have faith that Mr. Gaineys expertise in hockey matters will guide us to the cup again soon. What can we do to be contructive here? Do you have any ideas. I would like to share them with each other and then maybe we can write them down and send them to Mr. Gainey for his review. I believe that this will have a positive effect and maybe then Mr. gainey will be able to guide the Habs back to the playoffs. Hey…here’s an idea….what if we sent a bouquet of flowers everday to the Habs with a note wishing them all the best. What do you think? Would this help Mr. Gainey realize that there are some positive fans out there who really care about the Montreal Canadiens? let me know what your thoughts are.

Gratefully yours,

MadManPaddy

15. #15 MadManPaddy says:
    June 23, 2007 at 3:11 am

GET REAL! The reality is Montreal sucks!! I am a life long fan of the habs, born and bred on them since I was in diapers….I have a freakin’ picture of the Rocket in my study and a little stand-up figurine of Saku. I eat, breathe, drink, and sleep the HABS. I spend my money on their merchandise. I watch all of their games..hell, I even have a huge hockey card selection of Montreal dating back to the 60′s. Don’t tell me that I can’t blast them when they deserve to be blasted!!! The fact is Montreal has been a lack-lustre team since 1993. That organization is living off the incredulous passion of their fans. They know damn well that even if they suck, the fans will always go to the games, buy the merchandise, etc, etc. They don’t have to get better as long as the owner is making money….haven’t you figured that out yet. When they stop having consecutive sell-outs then, and only then, will they feel the need to improve the team immediately, not “build for the future” as Mr. Gainey and Mr. Timmins always talk about. The future is now….the fans are mad as hell and rightfully so…..this team can be much better than they are if the management would stop making bad decisions like Kovy, Sammy, Cerzkawski, Perrault, etc…..this list goes on…..they also need to quit being all about defence…”defence wins games”….like hell…does anybody really think Montreal won all those cups because of defence?????? NO….it was offence….plain and simple….goals win games, not defence! Did ya notice how their first pick was another defenceman?????? Montreal will wallow in this hole of mediocrity until they start to get and allow their offensive players to play! I will always support the HABS but this is $%#@~! ridiculous!!

There, take that!! LOL

16. #16 Sam says:
    June 23, 2007 at 5:36 am

Actually a well balanced team with both Offense and Defense is the best team. Add in a superior goalie and you have a great chance to win the Stanley Cup.

Now, as far as some missed players…specifically Esposito….I’m thinking this may be the grounds for a trade between the Habs & Pittsburgh. If the discussions were such that Montreal wanted Esposito and perhaps Kovalev was in Pittsburgh’s plans well then who knows how things will end up.

I’m still hopeful for a trade with Tampa for Lecavalier. I’m not sold on Tanguay and what the cost might be. Now Iginla is the better way. I prefer Smith if I had a choice and welcome Marleau and see if he can work with Kovalev if he’s still there after everything settles.

Lots of work still left to be done….Let’s go Bob

17. #17 habs4ever says:
    June 23, 2007 at 6:31 am

Wow you guys are so full of s-h-i-t. I had my fingers crossed we wouldn’t pick Daigle, oops i mean Espo.

Hockey experts and analysts are saying we got the sleeper of the draft.
    McDonough is arguably the best defencemen in the entire draft, for once I liike a Gainey move, solidify the back end. You habs fans are fickle and embarassing. This kid is gonna be awesome, another soft small skilled forward is NOT what we need. Espo will likely thrive in Pitts with sid, malkin and staal, here he wouldn’t.

Bravo Bob great pickup

18. #18 Jaker1 says:
    June 23, 2007 at 6:44 am

I had a chance to watch Esposito play a few times during his junior tenure in Quebec. Had someone not told me who he was,I wouild not have noticed him. Anybody can look good on a great team,but its the player who can look great on a bad team that should garner a 1st round pick. Esposito was not that and thats why his stock dropped. As for going to Pittsburgh,they will be able to put the puck in the net but they are going to have a heck of a job keeping it out.I have also watched Fleurey during his Junior career (what you saw last year is what you get). Good picks by Gainey but definately needs some UFA shakeup and not Yashin,Lang or Bertuzzi.

June 23, 2007 at 8:16 am

This kid was ranked at #11.He would have never made to #20 imo.Great pick up bob could be the steal of the draft http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11069&hubname=

20. #20 nigelski says:
    June 23, 2007 at 9:03 am

To read what I think of Gainey, go here: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=170480834

Cherapanov? I watched the combine, and if there’s anything to be grateful about this draft, it’s that we didn’t draft that weakling. His conditioning was brutal, and he couldn’t benchpress 100 lbs more than once. For Christ’s sake, and Satan’s too, for that matter, I could bench press more than that in grade nine! Even now, I can bench more than that, and the only weight I’ve lifted in the past 16 years has been my lazy, fat a_s_s.

Bob says that ‘They liked Esposito, but didn’t have him at #12,’ or something similar.

I guess Max Pacioretty @22 was just too hard to pass up. When he’s still languishing in the AHL in 3 years, and Esposito is racking up 80 – 100 point seasons on Crosby’s wing, we’ll all appreciate Bob and Trevor’s fine eye for talent.

As far as I’m concerned, Gainey’s tenure as Habs GM has been a resounding failure. He gets proper cred for picking Price, and getting rid of Theodore, but what else has he done? Nothing.

21. #21 habs4ever says:
    June 23, 2007 at 11:18 am

We had no shot at Espo at 22 he was gone to pitts at 20. Comparing a pick with a player who already gone. Pretty lame

22. The Sharks have the rite idea in picking Nick Petrecki,he was exactly what the Habs needed ! Now we can get blown -up playing The Pens or BEAT-UP playing the Sharks ! I SHAKE MY HEAD IN DISBELIEF !!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. #23 MadmanPaddy says:
    June 23, 2007 at 11:52 am

Just checked the TSN draft tracker……guess what everybody…2nd round…another defenceman!! Oh Yay! And its a name I’ve never heard before!!!! Oh…this keeps getting better!!! WTF???????

June 23, 2007 at 12:39 pm

Well a great goalie and a solid D sounds like the Ducks huh ? Guess we looking at getting some solid D built in the next few years … sounds fine to me I see we have some fine young forwards all ready.. D men take longer to produce never a bad idea seeing as every one is crying about our +/- well that can only improve with a great net minder and some solid D.

25. #25 Pepto says:
    June 23, 2007 at 12:43 pm

WE picked a big player with 22. That should shut up this broken down player shiet for awhile. MsDOnough can move the puck, exactly what we need. Shut up everyone! IF you dont know shiet shut your mouths.

26. #26 Snake says:
    June 23, 2007 at 12:47 pm

Joshtm has finally reached rock bottom. He no longer knows what he is talking about. HE changes one subject to another and so on. What is he mumbling about?????? WHaT are you mumnling about JOsht,??? What is worng with you??? Where are my cigerettes???? Last time Josh came to visit me at Stoney he was a big time fan favourite. HE received alot of whistling and pinching. Where are you sweet cheeks?

27. #27 habsfan_for_life1212 says:
    June 23, 2007 at 12:56 pm

The only reason that most of you are pissed is because the guy Montreal picked wasnt a name player. Does that really matter? Just because a lot of people dont know who this kid doesnt mean Jack. Nobody on this site is a scout and has seen this kid play so I’d take a breather i were you. Most analysts had him ranked as the #1 defenseman in the draft. Do u not see the direction montreal is taking? remeber last off-season when toront said they were going to build from the net out? Montreal is doing exactly what Toront o said they were going to do but in much smarter way. Toronto did their usual dumb things and went for the big signings and/or trades. They got Raycroft and overpayed for Kubina and Gill. Not to mention they signed McCabe to way too muhc money. Tnat didnt work out too well for them did it? Now they had to give up their pick to get Vesa Toskala from San Jose because Raycroft wasn’t what they expected. I’m liking Montreal’s plan a lot more. Were doing the same thing as toront but the smart way…through the draft. Carey Price is a bonafide number 1 goaltender. W have our goalie, good now on to DEFENSE. IMagine this D-corps in a couple of years.
    Markov – Carle
    Komisarek – Valentenko
    Mcdonagh – FIshcher
    Obyrne
    Thats a very envious defense. Better than the sad excuse for one that we have now right? Forwards are coming. We’ve already got a hell of a lot of them. the kostitsyns, grabovski, Maxwell,White, Latendresse, higgins, D’Agostini, Ryder, pacioretty, Lapierre
    Prospects-wise, after LA of cours, we are the envy of the league. Wait a second? didn’t L.A take a no name player too? Thomas Hickey? Wow these two teams who were rated 1,2 in prsopect depth by hokceys future must be out of their respective minds by not taking a player that everyone knew.

28. The problem is a lot of us Fans are really tired of our record when rolling the dice. Seriously,we have not amounted to a hill of beans since 1993 and I for one would like too see more sure fire guaranteed moves now ,like the sighing of Ryan Smyth! Is that really to much to ask for; after all those years of dedication ,from all of us ?????AND DON’T WE PAY THE BILLS AND HAVE THAT RITE ??????????? NOW GET ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #&*@@^%$

June 23, 2007 at 2:58 pm

Gainey is building from the net out like most great gm’s do.Good job bob.I keep hearing how how esposito will come back to haunt us so joshtm says but remember one thing he has to get the puck pass price baby.GO HABS GO

June 23, 2007 at 4:52 pm

Thats if he is not crippled by a thundering body check by one of Montreals D corps…. I like what I am seeing for the next few years to come … keep on that direction we are on the road to the cup.

31. #31 Fizz says:
    June 23, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Hey fellow Hab fans! I’m new to this forum, so I’ll keep this brief. I must say that getting rid of Samsonov was a very happy moment for me, as I’m sure it was for a lot of you, however I’ve heard all the Kovy pros and cons, and I will be sad if we let him go. I know he’s not the most motivated guy, but with the right cast he’ll be fine! I’m pretty certain that we will lose Shelly, so I think that when July 1st rolls around, we need a legite d man. Anyone interested in Danny Markov? I watched him closely in the playoffs and he is rock solid! With him and Andrei back there, we’d be all right. We also need a proven scoring threat whenever he’s on the ice. Briere of course would be great, but I just don’t see it happening. I would be extatici if Smitty joined the fold. Again, I know it’s a long shot, but we’ll have to wait and see. I look forward to being a part of this forum, and for the upcoming events… mainly July 1st. Take Care all of you!

32. #32 habs4ever says:
    June 23, 2007 at 5:21 pm

I’m sick of these french Canadians whining about the lack of quebecois drafted. What freaking difference does the language make, best player avaiable. This drafting french prospects to please these fools is what got us trouble in the 1st place.
    Management and Gainey have gone against it, and I commend him for it.
    I couldn’t care a less if we have 1 french Canadian on ths team. If your not the right fit or don’t have the skill you will not be picked. Good job Bob
    Bring back the Nordiques so these knuckle heads can ruin theyre own team.
    Bob has drafted extremely well this draft. If you can’t see it, toobad.
    If Regean Houle was here, he would of drafted all french bums, these guys trying to prove something and don’t give a s-h-i-t about this hockey club.

33. #33 Pepto says:
    June 23, 2007 at 5:30 pm

I was unhappy with losing both Espo and Charapenov….but the rest of the moves have made me wish for tomorrow even more….I can’t wait until we see the likes of Ninnima, Dandenault and Bouillon’s backs leave and the newer players come on line. Petrecks most of all, and man I can’t wait to see Subban duke them out…and the rest, thank God at least now we have a balance in the future and when this present bunch of rookies get better, like Lapierre, Grabby and the rest, this new bunch will even things out. But no one of real size, or weight, we have a bunch of tall skinnies to look forward to. The sad fact though is the Ducks have thrown the glove down and big and fast rule the world. All Montreal has are fast, too bad. But hey you never know, maybe Price can make up for our lack of size at least…

34. #34 habsfan_for_life1212 says:
    June 23, 2007 at 6:17 pm

wow! four positive comments ni a row!! what’s happening to habsblog. I thought that all we were supposed to do on this site was complain about the habs. Better get Josh in here quick and rain on our happy thoughts

p.s: Right now our prospects are small but look at the size of the players we just drafted. McDonagh is 6ft1 200 pounds and pacioretty is 6ft1 203 pounds. Thats a lot biger than most of the skinny prospects we saw at the draft. Gaineys just addressed another need.

35. #35 scottnb says:
    June 23, 2007 at 7:12 pm

Esposito will be the next Ribeiro and we can do without that. Lots of talent, nit not the stength or will to go after the puck. That said, he will probably excel in Pitt with the team he will have aound him. I wouldn’t worry about him next year, no way he makes the big club, he’ll be back in Quebec.

36. P.K. Subban is a confident player.
    I saw him playing this playoff again Ottawa 67′s. I was there watching Ottawa’s home game which was defeated by Belleville Bulls.

If was asked what I remembered about that tame, the only thing was that P.K. Subban impressed me much more than anything else. That’s a good PICK!

37. #37 LJ55 says:
    June 24, 2007 at 3:01 am

# 81 habs4ever
    Posted on June 23rd, 2007 at 5:21 pm. About ‘Montreal Canadiens 2007 Entry Draft’.

Management and Gainey have gone against it, and I commend him for it.
    Bring back the Nordiques so these knuckle heads can ruin theyre own team.
    Bob has drafted extremely well this draft. If you can’t see it, toobad.

strange i didn’t see language issue brought up once until you brought it up.

38. #38 habs4ever says:
    June 24, 2007 at 9:42 am

Language is always an issue with the habs. I heard several fans on 2 or 3 different site’s moaning about the quebecois.
    They need to stfu and get a ife. Language should not be a factor and until Gainey took over. It always was.
    I was just pointing out that it was great of Gainey not folding to the pressures of the fan’s and media. Well done Bob.

June 24, 2007 at 11:39 am

Yes I have heard comments in real life from people about how the Habs did nto pick Quebecois players and one comment about the fact they picked a colored guy …

40. Habs4ever,If you want the Habs to win a cup soon are chances will be a lot better with french canadiens than with russians or anyone else! There is an X factor throughout the history of the Habs that when loaded with enough hometown lads and the odds are against them playing powerful opponents”Bobby Orrs Boston,Bobb Clarks Fliers” ,insures success.Its a heart thing and we’re going to need it playing the Pens and Sens in the years to come. I’M ALL FOR IT!VIVE LES HABATANTS.

June 24, 2007 at 12:53 pm

That history is from the past way back when they used to be six teams …. in todays NHL there are good players from all over the planet, You will always see a good number of Canadian players and that wont change anytime soon, but as time goes by and we see more and more teams added to the NHL we see more and more players from other places pop up , normal the well runs dry after a certain number of teams the talent pool of good young canadian players will run dry. As for french speaking players same deal they are and will be spread out over the NHL, there are only so many to start with, and the same rule applies , we cant corner the market on french speaking players and we should not want to either, we only want one or two of the better ones thats all ..

Other than that its just more of the same like the PQ with their we need more white frenching speaking children born in quebec.. wonder why huh …

June 24, 2007 at 1:28 pm

I am not french but my best friend is french and i have alot of other french speaking friends and they also agree that its not about loading the habs with all french players.Just because you were born in quebec it does not mean you will play harder for the habs or should play for them.I have also read on other sites people saying that players or fans that were born outside of quebec do not understand what it means to play or cheer for the habs.Well my parents came over from europe in their mid 20′s and my dad knew nothing of the sport hockey, he didnt even know there was such a sport but when he got here he fell in love with hockey and the habs.Intill this day he is still a huge hab fan and still has poor english lol.I grew up loving the habs just as much as ANY other fan who lives in quebec and i also played junior hockey in the ohl and would have loved to play for them also.So it bugs me to hear this crap about we need more french players on the habs because they know what it takes to play for them.Well i hate to tell some people in quebec but there are fans and players across canada and the planet that bleed red white and blue just as much as you guys if not more.

43. Don,if history wasn’t relevant ,they wouldn’t be teaching it in our school systems and I dare say ,forgetting the lessons of our past makes for redundancy in its worst form.

44. #44 orilliaborn says:
    June 24, 2007 at 2:23 pm

I might be the oldest guy on this blog near retirement) and having just read all this stuff, it seems to me that several guys are morons and several are really bright astute hockey fans. I kind of wish the morons would go back to their holes and let the good guys say their opinions without all the trash talking. The bottom line in this draft is nobody knows how any of it will pan out. All I know is Bertuzzi and Yashin don’t belong with the Montreal Canadiens.

45. #45 Borg9 says:
    June 24, 2007 at 4:42 pm

I’d still like to believe the scouting department is doing a good job. Price is the key for the team going forward. Looks like Bob is trying to build a solid wall around him by the time Price starts to hit his prime.

Hope there is a big centerman in the offing come free agency time, but please please don’t let it be Count Chokeula Yashin. That has “Samsonov: The Sequel” written all over it.

And I also have a problem with someone actually on the team. As much respect I have for Koivu and what he’s been through, if he doesn’t want to be around during “constant rebuilding” then by all means I’m for dealing Hookvu and his contract at the next trade deadline for more picks.

Maybe give Ferguson a call, see if he has any first round picks in 2008 left.

I was very unhappy with Koivu after his play went into the toilet the last 40 games (albiet after a stellar first half of the season) and his constant, selfish parade to the penalty box in key times for the laziest of penalties: hooking.

Hey buddy, did you get the memo about this new-fangled NHL where they actually call hooking and holding? Do us all a favour before Oct. 1, 2007 and speed read it.

Then, after submarining the team with dumb penalty call after dumb penalty call – usually in the third period of close games – he ultimately ended up failing as Captain to drag his slovenly teammates into the playoffs kicking and screaming, he slams the front office for their policies.

Not impressive.

And I consider myself a fan of Koivu’s. I think he’s probably a great human being and a good role model – but that stuff really pissed me off.

I can’t see Jean Beliveau pulling a selfish move like that after he had failed to make the playoffs. You should be looking in the mirror, not pointing fingers – ESPECIALLY AS CAPTAIN OF THE MONTREAL CANADIENS.

As we will no doubt see over the next 10 years, the only real way to guarantee wins and playoff trips consistently in a Salary Cap structure is to draft well, indoctrinate them into your teams philosophy and plug them into the NHL a few years down the road. So, even though I really want to see them get a big centreman to anchor that first line, I also like the fact that the front office is sticking to their guns about building through the draft.

Basically the team is not listening to me, a dedicated fan, and what I want them to do – go out and throw away picks for some centerman. That’s probably a good thing..

46. #46 structure says:
    June 24, 2007 at 8:07 pm

the team is being built player by player in the draft through defense in the types of defense size defensive offensive and the forwards skilled tough leaders defensive so when the time comes we have a selections of players that can fit into every position according to the needs of team

June 24, 2007 at 8:50 pm

93 Xhabsfan
    Posted on June 24th, 2007 at 1:48 pm. About ‘Montreal Canadiens 2007 Entry Draft’.

You dont just sign a guy cause he is from Quebec get a clue.. you try and find the best player no matter what his name is or where he comes from, I think the Habs got a coupkle of good picks and I hope to see them in the NHL sometime soon.

48. #48 MadManPaddy says:
    June 24, 2007 at 10:33 pm

Hi all!….I’m back….miss me? I have not dropped a note because I have been stewing over the events(or lack thereof)of the draft weekend. Still blows my mind that Montreals’ only move was to trade Michael Let-em-in. But I guess if the pretty girls don’t want to dance then what can you do eh?

First things first……I agree that you don’t draft someone because they have a french name…..no issues here….but for all you nay sayers….take all the french-canadian players in the league currently, place them all on the Habs and I think that you may see a Montreal stanley cup almost every year!! I know, I know, not realistic but it does prove the point that if Montreal had all french-canadian players we would probably see a overall better hockey team.

Besides, ask yourself this…..Russians like Kovy/Sammy or frenchman like Lecavalier/Tanguay? Easy answer.

I am all for building for tommorrow through the draft but lets not forget about today. It seems that is what has been happening the last 2-3 years. The Habs definitely need some marquis french players to settle the natives like Briere(although too small), Lecavalier, Tanguay, Marleau(I know…not french but sounds like it..LOL).

As for Koivu…..I have always compared him with Mats Naslund….would’ve been a star on any other team but got stuck on the “defence-first” Canadiens. I feel for the guy…he wants a chance(minimum)at the cup and management doesn’t seem to want the same thing right now.(hey, actions speak louder than words!)
    I hope he gets one!

Anyhow….heres hopin. that this coming year sees a much improved Montreal squad!

GO HABS GO!

49. Don,You say any french player ,not I.Madman Pattie’s got the point ,plus there is 5 million hockey nuts Quebec francaphones,and to deny them French Superstars with a big C.H. is to colonially British for me ,CAUSE I AM CANADIEN !!!!