Montreal….

1. #1 Mats Naslund says:
    February 20, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I’ve spent most of my morning thus far trying to find real answers in the mountains of garbage that are being heaped on the Canadiens since last night. The truth will come out eventually, and if any of the players have done something wrong then so be it. My only thought here is this: I’m not so far removed from my “young days” that I don’t remember some crazy things happening around me. I’ve been present at a shooting, I’ve been around drugs and “gangsters”. People that I went to highschool with, and could easily be connected to have gone to prison for reprehensible crimes. I’ve spent enough time in bars to know that organized crime is rampant, and that regardless of who you are – trouble can and will find you. I don’t know the Kostitsyns, but I do know a whole lot of good people that have been drawn into bad circumstances because of poor choices (either made themselves or by associates). There literally is not enough information to make an informed opinion about this latest story from La Presse. I only hope that if the Kostitsyn bros have been caught up in a mess like so many other people I’ve known, that the Habs organization supports them.

2. #2 Mats Naslund says:
    February 20, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Re: actual hockey matters.

I’ll admit I do scour the rumor boards for the latest info on possible trades. Even though only 1 in 20 ever seems to hit the nail on the head, there have been mounting rumors from many sources that MON-TAMPA Vinny talks are very close to an actual deal. The crazyest thing I’ve heard is that the pieces rumored to be leaving are Higgins, Gorges and Subban. I think there would probably need to be one more piece to make this possible for money, but if this is the case I sincerely hope that Gainey isn’t sitting on his hands for this one. Only time will tell if the recent developments surrounding the Kostitsyns, Kovalev and Hamrlik have affected anything.

3. #3 groundworking says:
    February 20, 2009 at 4:17 pm

I was thinking the other day that the Canadiens may be willing to offer Higgins, Gorges, S. Kostitsyn and…wait for it…Markov. I believe Tampa had demanded Markov.

4. #4 Mats Naslund says:
    February 20, 2009 at 4:29 pm

It seems unlikely that Gainey would give up 3 defensemen, which is why when I saw the list that Gainey mentioned in the Globe and Mail article (Higgins, Gorges and Subban) it seemed weird unless Tampa was going to send one back our way. Tampa IS banged up on defense right now as I’m pretty sure both Mezaros and Ranger are out with shoulder injuries requiring surgery, but I don’t think that Montreal’s defensive depth could withstand losing 3 potential impact defensemen. That being said, I don’t know there is a reasonable deal out there that I wouldn’t make for Lecavalier. The only player I really want them to hang on to is Andrei because I think him and Lecavalier together would be incredible. If I’m Gainey I make the deal and then focus on the free agents for next season.

5. As I’ve stated, I would fully support the parting of Markov and several others to bring back in return the centreman that this team desperately needs. After all, this current team isn’t going to win anything anyway, so might as well begin shaping a championship team. Acquiring Lecavalier alone would be something worthy of a centennial season celebration.

6. #6 groundworking says:
    February 20, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Good point, Joseph. The return of the prodigal son. I agree. Lecavalier and no cup is better than no Lecavalier and not cup, which is the direction that this team is absolutely 100% on this year.

In NHL09 I trade Lang and a first round pick for Lecavalier…

7. #7 Mats Naslund says:
    February 20, 2009 at 6:56 pm

haha.. I somehow worked Lecavalier, Nash and Ed Jovonovski into the lineup without doing too much damage. Of course, in my season Price’s save percentage is higher than .750.

8. Ahh, NHL09. If only those ridiculous trades were somehow doable in reality. :-)

But yes. Whatever it takes to get Lecavalier. We can then reminisce how the Habs brought Vinnie home in 2009, their centennial year. And of course we couldn’t necessarily count them out this season if Gainey manages it with minimal damage.

9. #9 Mats Naslund says:
    February 20, 2009 at 8:05 pm

If in fact those players were the ones who were traded (Markov, Higgins, Gorges, Subban + draft picks – I’m assuming) our lineup would look pretty good on forward. Who wouldn’t want to see a line of Lecavalier with Andre and Kovy? The only problem would be our lack of depth on the blueline. You never know though, a deal could be made (ala the Schneider deal) to pick up another FA. At some point we would need a young defensemen to move in to fill the void cheaply as Cap problems would be upon us big time.

10. #10 Senet1 says:
    February 21, 2009 at 1:36 pm

While I am like the rest of you I would like to see us pick up Vinny, I hate to see your defence depleted. So we definitely would have to go out and get another defenceman. Personally I have not given up on this season. We have the team to still go far into the playoffs they just have to start playing like we know they can. That starts in the nets and goes all the way out. This team is just needs to turn the corner and start playing better hockey. We have the personel to do that and as I said earlier in the week there had to be somethng going on behind the scenes that we were not aware of and maybe it came out this week. If kovy comes back ready to play and it sounds like he is very positive and if we can pick up Vinny without totally destroying our defence the we still have a shot. Maybe not the cup but at least one or two rounds. I believe the next 10 games will tell the story.

11. hmmm……habsblog.com NHL09 league?