NHL 2008 Trade Deadline

1. #1 patrick says:
    February 26, 2008 at 1:00 pm

deep draft this year, good trade Bob

2. #2 MrBigTime says:
    February 26, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Jeff Hackett = Christobal Huet

Here and Gone… we should got more, but Gainey has to pull the trigger now on Hossa… come on Bob!

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!

GO HABS GO!

3. #3 thunder63 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Why would they not have seen if they ould have gotten more they need a tough playing forward so they could protect their stars

4. Thank-you and see you Huet,here comes the great tandum oh Halak and Price ,the king is dead,god bless the king!

February 26, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Its a 09 draft pick , not 08 pick

6. #6 jack hab says:
    February 26, 2008 at 1:50 pm

I don’t know what to make of the Huet trade just yet. I’ll refrain from
    comment until the end of the deadline. Price has proved that in time
    he will emerge into a force – but that time is not just yet. I think the
    present pressure will kill him. In my opinion it is Halak who can step
    right in there on a consistent basis and get the job done.

Wow!!…I hope I’m right.

7. #7 patrick says:
    February 26, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Huet must have been moved for a pick to clear up cap room for someone big!

8. #8 Stanley says:
    February 26, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Patrick sound dead on. Huet for a second round draft pick sounds like a horrible trade. Huet is worth at least a 1st round draft pick. The Canadiens must have dumped his 2+ million dollar salary, and don’t have to sign him for 6+ million next several years. I’m surprised that he wasn’t included in the Hossa trade! I curious what comes next. Maybe the Canadiens recalled Grabovski for the Hossa trade.

9. in addition to Hossa, habs should try to get Peca, plays center, great at faceoffs and good defensive forward.

10. Not sure I’m a big fan of the “rent a body for the playoffs” school of thought. Sure, having Hossa would be fun, I suppose, but most analysts agree that he would be a short-ter rental, and unlikely to sign with the team this summer. We have a team that is playing well and winning as a team. I can’t imagine that throwing a journeyman in there–no matter how talented–would be a good thing.

I agreed with Sundin’s justification for staying in Toronto. For winning the cup to mean anything, you have to have gone through the entire season with the team. The other great thing about him staying there is that he makes the Leafs too competitive to end up in the basement and have a shot at Stamkos/Doughty. Ha! Stupid Leaves …

11. #11 MrBigTime says:
    February 26, 2008 at 2:57 pm

I wanna hear about Hossa soon… time is ticking away…

12. #12 Ice Man says:
    February 26, 2008 at 3:20 pm

HOT OF THE PRESS ……………

Montreal got:

HOSSA in return for Higgins, Lapierre, Grabovski & Ryder

&

OLAF KOLZIG & 2 round pick in 2009 In return for HUET

13. #13 MrBigTime says:
    February 26, 2008 at 3:21 pm

where you getting that… not true

14. #14 jack hab says:
    February 26, 2008 at 3:26 pm

I realize that cap space has been cleared, but as it stands at the moment
    we’ve lost out on the Huet trade.

I haven’t heard any more news out of Montreal… Still some time left, however.

15. #15 eastcoast says:
    February 26, 2008 at 3:56 pm

ummm. only about 5 mins left now… cuttin it pretty close if something else is in the works

16. #16 CH2009 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 3:58 pm

WE DIDN’T GET HOSSA! PITT DID! DAMN YOU GAINEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. #17 eastcoast says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Hossa to Pits….. hmmm Lacavier? theres still time… theres still time… lol

18. #18 CH2009 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:02 pm

leave it up to Gainey to do NOTHING! as USUAL! last year did squat, and again this year NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    so, again we only have 1 line! NO PLAYOFFS GUYS!

19. #19 patrick says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!1

20. Pittsburg gave up a bunch of players for him…..who cares he chokes in the playoffs.

21. WTF GAINEY?!

22. #22 groundworking says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I’m happy, in a way. Look what Pitsburgh had to give up. We’d have had to give up Higgins, a bunch of prospects, and a first round pick for a rental. Not a good deal for Pittsburgh. It wouldn’t have been a good deal for Montreal.

Gaigney didn’t give up on the players in the room. Pitsburgh lost some good talent for this year only. They won’t be able to sign Hossa once Crosby and Malkin’s rookie contracts expire.

23. #23 orangeman says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:08 pm

The Habs are fighting for first in the East, putting together a great year and Gainey’s only move on deadline day is to give away his starting goalie for nothing. Pathetic. They probably wouldn’t have made the finals, but at least go far to give the young guys some experience. No, they’ve given up already, like every other year. It’s hard to root for a team that obviously cares less about their success than their fans do.

24. #24 groundworking says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:09 pm

And don’t underestimate that second round pick in 2009. He or she could win the playoffs for us in 2015. LOL. Omg we’re screwed.

25. Calm down, kids! You all bought the hype, but the fact is you all know Hossa was NEVER a good fit for the Habs. I’d even surmise that Gainey never even made an offer for his services. That said, I’m pretty sure Tanguay or Campbell would have been a good fit, and Gainey probably made some moves in that direction, but credit him for having the restraint not to succumb to deadline fever.

For better or worse, we now have our team for the rest of the season. And make no mistake, it IS a playoff team.

Go Habs!

26. #26 Ice Man says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:09 pm

What do you mean “Gainey didn’t give up on the players in the room” He gave up Huet for a bag of pucks.

February 26, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Ok so looks like we will not make any big move , not sure I understand the Huet idea here … just dont know

28. #28 patrick says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Pitt definitely overpaid!

29. #29 CH2009 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:18 pm

when they win the cup, who will care what they gave up! Hossa, Crosby , Malkin, Staal. they’re loaded with talent! and we have 1 line!

30. #30 orangeman says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:18 pm

I just don’t understand. Has this team made any good trades in the last 10-15 years? The way this organization treats it’s goaltenders…even if Price is the next Roy, he’ll be gone in two seasons after he loses three games in a row. I’m just glad Montreal didn’t have the chance to draft Crosby. He would have been dealt for a funny looking mascot and a left skate four months later. Unbelievable.

31. #31 Ice Man says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:19 pm

They have so many stars just call them “The Milky Way”

32. #32 CH2009 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:20 pm

Gainey is all talk and no action! I will never believe him again! and he kkeps Ryder and gets nothing for him! real smart move Bib!

33. #33 jack hab says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:20 pm

I wonder if I’m going to hear all about how we tried to get players, but they just didn’t
    want to play in Montreal… or is that song reserved for July 1st.
    Drafting and scouting are definite strong points to this organization, but, trading has not been
    particularly gratifying for this team in recent years.

34. #34 CH2009 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:20 pm

sorry for the typo errors.

35. I think all in all,it’s all good.i’ve been asking for Huet to move on for some time now,can’t wait for Halak,right on Bob!

36. #36 Ice Man says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Not getting Hossa was like a kick in the Nuts.

37. #37 CH2009 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:23 pm

If Gainey is still the GM next year, I’m skipping trade deadline day, because Gainey NEVER does anything anyways! can’t sign any UFA’a and can’t make any deals! sooooooooooooooo angry with Gainey!

38. #38 jack hab says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:26 pm

Xtrahabsfan
    I know you’re not the biggest Huet fan – but I just refuse to believe that basically
    throwing him away for next to nothing was the right thing to do. To be honest
    I’m a little disappointed right now.

39. #39 habsofthefuture says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Is this it guys, or can there be a deal still going down?

40. lol, we actually did worst than last year lol. At least we got Gorges last year. Go Bob Go lol

41. hey CH2009 if gainey is stil the GM next year….are you on crack????
    watch the boys play well tonight now that the trade deadline is over.

look what Pittsburg gave up for Hossa…….way too much for a rental player

The Atlanta Thrashers have traded sniper Marian Hossa and winger Pascal Dupuis to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for prospect Angelo Esposito, forwards Colby Armstrong and Erik Christensen and a first-round pick.

February 26, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Not angry here, sometimes the price is too high, we will see how Pittsburgh does with him.

43. #43 orangeman says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:32 pm

And it isn’t even Washington’s 2nd round pick in 2009. According to TSN, it’s actually Anaheim’s. Not getting Hossa, or anyone, I can live with. But that in conjuction with throwing your #1 goalie away? After you make it known that you’re interested in doing something big? I need someone to explain this to me. Now, do I watch Montreal get beat by Atlanta tonight, or just take a break from the madness?

44. I think the issue with Huet is rather simple. Gainey didn’t believe he could win with Huet. With this mentality, you might as well let him go and get SOMETHING for him. He’s a UFA, so they would have lost him.

So how come he only got a 2nd round draft pick? I think it’s really comes down to confidence. Huet is a lot like Theodore.. When he’s on his game, he’s very very good. When he’s not, he stinks up the place worse than a skunk run over by a transport on a highway – he stinks. Lately, Huet hasn’t given Gainey and I believe most GMs in the league that he’s currently worth his salary.

Sure it’s unfortunate, but at least we got a 2nd round pick instead of losing him, because I’m definitely sure Gainey would NOT have signed Huet this year.

45. #45 CH2009 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:34 pm

hey lucky: yoou’re on F#$%ing crack man! tell me what wonderful trades Gainey has made in the last 2 years?????????????????????????????
    He never does anything! He makes promises and gets nobody! and Hossa wasn’t the only player out there? he could have picked up a another winger.
    you don’t win with 1 small line.

46. Ah come on, everything was on our side going into the trade deadlines and now we come out of it worse then before, we dont get the star we should of got, HOSSA, and on top of that we loose a not so bad goalie for nothing. Price is not ready, i bet halak will out perform him, and why the hell did we call up Grabovski, hes just an ugly midget on skates. We seriously got FCk over. We will have to wait for the next season to see anything big to happen to the Habs.

47. #47 Jaker1 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:38 pm

Why trade Huet and not Ryder. They could have gotten Huet for another year.You will definately lose Ryder after this year. Pittsburgh got better,philadelphia got better, Ottawa got better, Montreal got worse. Why would Gainey let Huet go for a second round pick. This makes no sense. Rest in Peace Price.

48. #48 jack hab says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:38 pm

JR
    You’re thoughts are interesting. Whispers in the media say that Ryder is unhappy
    with his ice time – he is also gone at the end of the year.
    I have been thinking for a while that Huet and Ryder could have been shopped
    as a package. I’m no expert here, but I see far too many missed opportunities
    come this time of year.

49. #49 orangeman says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:39 pm

I agree that Gainey didn’t think the Habs could win with Huet. But is Huet + Price worse than Price alone? I mean for this year. I didn’t expect them to sweep their way to the finals, but win a series or two, give the young players the experience. This move, and the lack of anything (ANYTHING!) else, tells the players, “Let’s just try again in three years.” I think this will totally bring the team down.

50. #50 jack hab says: