NHL 2008 Trade Deadline

1. Guys think about what the Penguins gave up for a rental player! If Gainey had to beat that he would trade Higgins,Halak,RyanMcDonough,MaxPacioretty and a first rounder. and would you guys rather have that happen? Gainey might have been smart. there’s no doubt that he tried his hardest.

2. #2 orangeman says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Btw, I think Price is a good goaltender and will possibly be a great one in the future. I hope this huge amount of pressure and attention doesn’t destroy him. Too much too soon for a 20 year old.

3. Montreal had hossa in their pockets, and then pittsburg comes out of no where. Although pittsburg did give alot, but in return they now have one of the top 3 best iffense in the leagues if not the best, shame on u bob.

4. #4 Brainwash79 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:46 pm

I can’t believe I listened to this for 3 hours for nothing…and I mean nothing. Granted we would’ve had to deal Huet eventually anyway, but dear god! what the hell is Gainey up to?? are best team and years and he decides not to build..even a little. I shouldn’t even be surprised.

5. #5 jack hab says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:46 pm

STUO11
    No doubt that BG didn’t try. I don’t doubt that for a second. What I don’t understand is how
    a team that I thought was a buyer ended up being a seller. And I will always feel that
    we could have gotten a better return for Huet (packaged with another player or on his own).

6. I don’t have a problem with losing Hossa. I don’t think he is all that but I think Gainey let Waddell keep him on a string when there were probably other deals that could have been done. Federov,Peca and others. I think Bob has Reibero and Iginla Itis.

7. WTF!!!! I can;t believe NOTHING was done!!!
    Watch the complete and utter BREAKDOWN of our team tonight!
    I can hear him now! “Oh we felt that the chemistry shouldn’t be messed with! And ummmmmm Oh they were asking too much!!!”
    WHY DIDN’T YOU HAVE OTHER DEALS READY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FUC*** THAT’S GM 101!!

SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD DAY!

8. #8 jrsy5oh says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Well, that was a worst case scenario for the Habs. They gave up goaltending depth and never followed it up with a reliable backup just in case Price can’t handle the load. They then added absolutely no forwards to a team that needed depth and size at the position. They had tons of depth at defense and had guys like Ryder with expiring contracts and they managed to do absolutely nothing with it. Between last year, this offseason and now this and I think Gainey has shown how bad he is dealing with contracts and players. Almost every team around them (including Pitt, NJ, Wash, Ott, Phi, and Car) got better while they stayed the same and left a HUGE question mark with their goaltending. If all this guy can do is draft and then let players like Robidas, Ribiero, Ryder, and Huet go, what is the frigging point.

The Penguins transformed that drafting depth into one of the most lethal lists of forwards now. He sat around and waited for another team to swoop in, just like all the free agents.

Maybe him suiting up the other night was a preview for his grand solution to bring them back to the cup.

If all he can do is draft, he should be a scout and leave the GM duties to someone with a pair.

9. #9 jack hab says:
    February 26, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Even the Leafs got a 2nd rounder AND a 5th for Hal Gill!!??
    Wow, is this even true?? A rental gm does better than BG.
    Yikes!!

10. #10 jrsy5oh says:
    February 26, 2008 at 5:04 pm

I don’t care how well “the system” has worked out this year. He has set them up for failure. I can already see the offseason now.

No major UFA will sign with Montreal….that is a given.
    Kovalev gets a shiny new contract and does absolutely nothing based on one good year of service this year.
    Ryder leaves and returns to his 30 goal form with another team next season.
    Price, coming off a complete collapse this year, will have no veteran backup to ensure that the Canadiens can even make the playoffs the following year.

Hossa made so much sense in that it was the winger they needed to pair with Koivu and have 2 legit scoring lines. It also gives him 3 months to negotiate a new contract since everyone knows he can’t do that during UFA season. He could have dumped Ryder for something and possibly brought in the veteran backup goalie at the same time in the form of Hedberg if he was going to have to part with good prospects.

That comeback win against the Rangers showed how incredible Montreal fans are and that it is the greatest NHL city and all Bob did was piss on that legacy by skating around an dhaving his jersey retired one day and then sitting his hands and trying to explain how the most hisotric franchise in the league couldn’t swing any deals to improve themselves.

He is a disgrace and deserves to be fired before the team even hits the ice tonight.

11. #11 habsfanforlife says:
    February 26, 2008 at 5:06 pm

WTF!!!!!! Nothing done. We now may miss the playoffs. We could have at least tried to pick up a goaltender to help Price down the stretch. Maybe Gainey has a deal worked out for the draft in June. Lets hope! Anyways, about tonight. Price records his second shutout. The Habs will all be thinking clearly now, no worries about who will be leaving.

12. I agree with one thing. We could have got a 1st rounder for Huet. Or at least a player!!! Bob could have got a little guy, but I think he really tried for Hossa but the Penguins were gay with him. I’m glad Pittsburhg got Hossa because they traded away soooo much! Montreal can walk out of this having a chance to win the cup for the next 5 years. Yes I’m really depressed that Montreal didn’t get someone, and I already had Hossa on the habs roster in NHL 08. but montreal is still 5th in the east and 3rd best offence!And Bob Gainey did try!

13. Gainey is a bum.. they need someone who has a decent command of the english language negotiating or your going to see this year after year.

14. #14 Brainwash79 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Higgins, Ryder and a pick and the deal would’ve been made. But things happen and maybe Gainey was smart for saying no, but why not get somebody, anybody. You give our number #1 goalie away right before the playoffs for nothing, and we hand the wheel over to Price who’s been playing ok, at best.

The writing is on the wall for yet another nose dive.

15. #15 CH2009 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 5:15 pm

trying is for losers! doing something is for winners! WE NEVER do anything!. Why didn’t GAiney have other trades in the mix? You can’t put all your eggs in 1 basket? unbelievable! this team will go nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Every team got better, and we got worse!

16. So that CAPS are 11 points behind us and they somehow get our Number 1 goalie, Cooke, and Federov.. What did Gainey bring us.. a bag of pucks and a draft pick for 2000 fking 9. Gainey is either missing the balls or the abilty (probably the later) to make trades on the clock. Very disapointed.. we are now worse off than we were yesteday.. BRAVO GAINEY!

17. #17 CH2009 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 5:24 pm

we went thru this same scenario last year, with the same results. If Gainey couldn’t get Hossa, how about having other trades in place? I saw other potential players available for simply draft picks. As well, we’re now losing Ryder for nothing. Didn’t Gainey learn anything from the Souray situation last year? Ans I think he should have gotten an older experienced goalie to mentor Price.
    How can this team expect to challenge with only 1 scoring line and 2 rookie goalis? I’m so very disappointed.

18. #18 jack hab says:
    February 26, 2008 at 5:29 pm

CHRIS
    In my books, it’s not about the impact player coming to habland. It’s more about
    not getting fair value for our goalie. I’m sorry folks, like him or hate him, Huet is
    worth more than just a 2nd rounder. Heck Chad Kilger even garnered a 3rd from
    Florida.
    That’s it for me folks, enjoy the game tonight!

19. Lol guys, I love the Habs, but you should all get down to earth and realize that Washington got better, Pitsburgh, Atlanta lol, Ranger… Phily, Ottawa. Toronto aren’t to far from a spot. And Montreal, Lost a a good player for nothing this year…. Nothing next year….lol but a second round pick in 2 years with what whomever might get drafted, probably won’t play before another 5 years. Woohoo. Grabowski is back up, My good friend Ryder, we love you, but guess what ??? Tonight… your on the press box. Anyhow, I’m done and with all teams getting better, I ain’t sure that even next year. the Habs will be able to give a gift of a Cup to their fan’s…

20. #20 habsfanforlife says:
    February 26, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Just because everyone else made moves, it doesn’t mean that they are better. Look at the Rangers. They are stacked, they are good but not great. All these players that moved today still have to gel with their new teams. Now the Habs on the other hand have no new players to worry about. They have already gelled.

21. #21 Brainwash79 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 5:48 pm

First off, Habs fans know hockey so we should be pissed. How deep do you think we’ll go in the playoffs with 1 line, a good (but not great) goalie? True, I believe Gainey did his best but like CH2009 said, why not have a backup? why not try and build on the momentum we have and try to go deep in the playoffs?

It’s frustrating to not take advantage of trades and drafts year after year.

22. #22 habsnyc says:
    February 26, 2008 at 6:05 pm

it would have been nice to get another defenseman to protect Price. i have no problem with trading Huet. but if price suffers an injury, gainey will have learned a powerful lesson. Montreal’s offense is far more productive than Pittsburgh’s so montreal didn’t need hossa as badly.

but, the team did need a third line center and federov was available and certainly they could have found some responsible defensive specialist with playoff experience for depth.

teams are made in the draft and the off season, not at the deadline. gainey made the usual lowball offers and got pushed aside by motivated buyers. that’s his style. it’s the same reason he doesn’t get free agents.

i am baffled that ryder was not traded. gainey should have had a backup plan to trade ryder when the hossa deal fell apart.

23. Have to agree with Jack Hab’s comments. I can live without getting Hossa because I think we would have given up too much.

But for Gainey to trade Huet for a second round pick is not acceptable we could and should have done better.

We would have been better off hanging on to Huet even if it meant losing him to free agency at the end of the season.

Gainey has weakened the habs going into the final stretch for the playoffs.

I believe Price is the future of this team but to intentionally go into the playoffs without an experienced goaltender on your roster is just stupid.

February 26, 2008 at 6:13 pm

LOL I love reading comments, we got to where we are how? Was it because of Huet alone?

If the answer is no then where is the problem? If you think we are where we are because of Huet , then we are in deep doo doo. I think that this team has some great young players and they should play, let them play and just let things happen. No matter what happens we did not sell the farm, we have not added an unknown face and character to the room. One guy is gone, a guy that was not going to be here next year anyways. Where is the real problem with this?

Let the kids play and let’s see where we are in April , after that there is the free agent season and a draft , and back to Habs edition 2008 – 2009 our younger ones are older .. Sure maybe having Hossa’s 21 points in 50 playoff games was we needed for that cup!!!! MMMMM wait a sec 21 points in 50 games? At what cost?

peace out

25. #25 Jaker1 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Here’s what I think happened with Huet. I think Gainey had a proposed deal for Marian Hossa with Don Waddell that included goalie Hedbergh. He jumped the gun and traded Huet to free up cash for possible negotiations with Hossa. People why else was Garbovski called up. There is no way Gainey would feed Carey Price to the Lions for a second round pick. I think Gainey was out foxxed on this one by Waddell.

26. #26 Brainwash79 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 6:39 pm

I think you nailed it Jaker1, By the way, why is everyone so happy to just go into a trade deadline and not get completely screwed? “good job Gainey, you didn’t completely sink the ship, you just burned all the lifeboats, congrats!”

27. #27 h4life says:
    February 26, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Agreed to Jaker1 and most of you guys…

One point we have to face: Huet cannot handle games with pressure. If Habs enters playoff (mostly likely this season, :) ) he would be another Gerber.

Bob now should be prepared for playoffs. So Hossa is not worth of breaking the existing Habs team. And Huet cannot help Habs go further in the playoffs. Playoff is to Play “nerve”.

Huet is just a 4th year Leasing Luxury Cadilac, but we need to run faster and farther, better a new BMW…

28. Plain and simple……..we lost this one. Gainey tried…..and i am sure that he did….but the cost was too high. Loosing Huet will hurt us when the play-offs hit. I am sure a deal fell through on Gainey…..its the only logical explanation he would trade Huet and leave us with two un-experienced goaltenders for the play-offs….Anyways….time must go on….

Gainey messed up and we will pay for it….Mark my words!!!

29. #29 CH2009 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 7:01 pm

so who do we have on our 2nd line? NOBODY, SAME AS BEFORE! wasn’t our goal, to get a winger for KOIVU? it’s 12 years, and we still HAVEN’T GOTTEN HIM A WINGER! DISGUSTING! and those of you who think we’re going to sign in the offseason,a UFA scorer, dream on! it NEVER happens. players don’t want to come here. So next year at this same time, like a broken record, we’ll be in the same situation. some things about this team never change. as long as Gainey is our GM, don’t expect a cup contender!

30. #30 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 26, 2008 at 7:10 pm

I’m disappointed that the habs didn’t land anyone. But I am slightly pleased that Gainey passed on Hossa for the price that Atlanta eventually got. Hossa is a rental and without assurance that he will re-sign with the team Pittsburgh paid a huge price. And Pittsburgh likely can’t even afford to sign him for next year, so they better plan on winning the cup in ’08!
    As for Huet, I was shocked at first. Then I thought about it and the fact that he’s played very poorly of late, is a UFA at seasons end and likely won’t sign again with the habs. I think it must have come down to Gainey realizing over the last few weeks that this team may get in to the playoffs, but they are not a cup team. That being the case having Huet here makes no sense and as difficult as it is to see now, this type of deal to get a very good draft pick is the type of deal that eventually wins stanley cups. And for those of you who question what he got, Huet was not worth a 1st round pick in what is projected to be a strong draft in 2009.

31. #31 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 26, 2008 at 7:14 pm

The GM’s job is not to do what’s popular with the fans, but what’s right for the team. Time will tell (I hope) that Gainey has made the right moves. But chances are we won’t know until a year or two from now.
    There may have been problems with Huet and Price. I think it’s clear Huet struggled with the heir-apparent on the team. Hopefully the new tandem can at least play well enough to make the playoff round(s) we do see, exciting.

32. #32 h4life says:
    February 26, 2008 at 7:24 pm

BarrieHabFan
    “What’s most dissapointing to me is that Gainey was probably in on Hossa down to the last minute and passed on making other deals because of this. Nothing anyone can do about that.”….

I agree!!!! Bob was bidding on Hossa, but too costly. But besides Hossa either no players were so attractive to BG or they had no interests coming to Montreal. C’est la vie! that’s business.

I am sitll confident with Habs of ’08: No ALL-STAR forwards, but ALL FORWARDing.

33. #33 CH2009 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 7:27 pm

I don’t have a problem with trading Huet, or for what they got for him. I do have a problem with the fact that he wasn’t able to address any of the team’s deficiencies. We need help on the 2nd line scoring,help to make this a tougher team, and an experienced goalie to mentor Price(not Huet). So, in that respect, we are no better. Too bad he put all his eggs in 1 basket! and too bad he didn’t trade Ryder, because now, he’ll leave for NOTHING!

34. #34 jessef says:
    February 26, 2008 at 7:30 pm

i think if your going to trade huet you could atleast get a little more for him. wow they pretty much gave him away!

35. #35 groundworking says:
    February 26, 2008 at 7:34 pm

I agree with Barrie. I think Gaigney recognized that the team was a playoff team and not a cup team…yet. Thus, trading away prospects, picks and Higgins for a rental, no matter how good, just isn’t worth it. I’ll put my faith in Gaigney in this one; I think he saw something that some of you guys saw as well–Huet did well, except under pressure.

36. I think you don’t realize the fact that Hossa will be playing with Sidney Crosby… Hey may not have done great in the playoffs in the past but he is going to be playing on a line with thee best set up player in the league. Also, I’m pretty sure Pittsburgh is at least 10 million under the cap… and since Sidney is only getting 8.7 million, they can afford Hossa. The habs just got worse… we needed him.. Congrats Pittsburgh on winning the cup.. three top ten scorers on one team… Gainey needs to go

37. #37 Jaker1 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 7:48 pm

People are saying Huet struggled,what about Michael Ryder. He is walking at season,s end for nothing. Make no mistake,Gainey is trying to make Huet’s trade sound like a strategic move. He made a major blunder. Huet was the better goalie and a veteran influence for when Price stumbled. Montreal players will put up with rookie mistakes for so long, then they will give up.Gainey moved like a rookie GM himself.

38. #38 Mike Williamson says:
    February 26, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Well Bob I`m glad you did not sell the farm for a Rental player,but trading a proven #1 goalie for an empty cup of coffee in 2009 just as the playoff push begins in ernest is just a little mind boggling !!!!!!!!

39. I think the bottom line is that, whatever you may think of Huet, the Habs got less for him than the Leafs did for Hal Gill. That alone tells me that Gainey didn’t make a good deal.

40. #40 habs_flames says:
    February 26, 2008 at 8:08 pm

CM is right on the mark, there’s no way to spin this other than a huge loss… Hal F’ing Gill got more of a return than Huet, Unbelievable

41. #41 10Guy10 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 8:17 pm

I was told we had a deal done with Edmonton. Ryder,Lapierre & Halak for Stoll & Roloson. Made sense for both clubs; Habs need a experienced goalie Ryder UFA. But Edmonton backed out last minute. Hard to believe that Gainey would have dealt Huet without having a deal for Roloson secure, but maybe that’s
    what happened. Roloson requested a trade can’t understand why Edmonton would not go forward with this deal. Huet came out of nowhere and I don’t believe he was a true No. 1 pressure goalie but I would think that teams that are in more need of goaltending would have offered something better than a 2nd round pick. Sometimes it feels like Gainry doesn’t explore all his options before making his decision.

42. #42 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 26, 2008 at 8:22 pm

All of you who think Huet was worth more than a second round pick are either forgetful or conveniently ignoring the fact that he is an unrestriced free agent at seasons end.
    Even though Hal Gill got more of a return he is signed beyond 2008.

43. does anyone know another site for hab gams. I checked Sopcast/P2P and I didn’t see it on the schedule!

44. #44 patrick says:
    February 26, 2008 at 8:32 pm

that’s true, remember that Burke couldn’t give bryzliagov away for a seventh rounder,
    trading a golaie like Huet can’t be compared to a defenseman like Gill, those interested in Huet would be those heading into the playoffs (i beleive washington will be there) and those goalies aren’t looking at Huet as a number one because they already have an est. #1, hence them going into the playoffs, most of the shitty teams have bad goaltending,but Huet’s won’t bring them to the post season at this point in the year, so what would they want with a rental like Huet?

45. #45 CH2009 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Ryder is a UFA at the end of the season, and we got nothing for him?
    Anyways wouldn’t it be great if Hossa got injured, and missed the rest of the season and playoffs? I’d love it! Better still, let Malking get injured. love it more. justice for all! I heard Atlanta didn’t play fair with Gainey. Hope Atlanta gets screwed.

46. #46 habsalltheway says:
    February 26, 2008 at 8:33 pm

I guess we will now see what the Habs are made of… Higgins said he wanted the trade dead line to be over with so you know who you have and just be able to go forward with the team. WELL HIGGINS YOU NOW HAVE YOUR TEAM SO SHOW US WHAT YOU CAN DO…….. GO HABS GO

47. #47 patrick says:
    February 26, 2008 at 8:33 pm

sorry I am distracted…

48. #48 Senet 1 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 8:58 pm

I get a real charge out of some of you guys. You have a promising team being built with youth by one of the best hockey men in the game today. Yes everyone would like to see us win the cup this year but this team was not built for this year it was built for 2008-2009 our 100th anniversary. Will we be successful maybe, but I certainly would not have given up what Pittsburg gave up for Hossa unless they know they can sign him. Huet was out of here at the end of the year anyway. We had to get something for him and yes it would have been nice to get more, but if more was not there then we got another potential prospect to help in the future. I am disappointed that we did not get something for Ryder because I think he will be gone at the end of the season too. Those of you who like to bad mouth Gainey should take a look at what we had we he arrived and what we have now. Is the team better yes, is it going to improve my guess is yes. Did we do it with free agents No! we did it with mostly draft picks, and the last time I checked most teams that build with draft picks usually are successful. I said all along that it was not that important that we make a big deal this year. This summer maybe but a GM cannot have a gun to his head in order to make a trade. Sam Pollock wouldn’t do it and neither will Gainey and I think they are cut from the same mold, just a little different time now than back then with the cap an all.

49. #49 Senet 1 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Too bad Ryder did nbt get traded but you have to someone who wants him otherwise you cannot trade him. Come guys think about it, Ryder will probably not sign for next year here but maybe Gainey thinks he can sign him and then maybe trade him in the off season. Lets face it his market value is not that high that team are going to jump at him and pay 2.5M, if they do then they deserve him.

50. #50 habsalltheway says:
    February 26, 2008 at 9:11 pm

I think that BG was right in not trading the future for Hossa … as for Huet, a lot of you guys wanted him gone and in today’s market you do not get a lot for a goalie (anaheim) so you get what you wanted *HUET GONE PRICE IN* ….the trade deadline is over so let us get over it and cheer on the great young team we have and will have for a long time to come …GO HABS GO