NHL 2008 Trade Deadline

1. Montreal is going to pass Ottawa in the standings and are going to play Boston,Philly or the rangers.

2. I think tomorrow I’ll feel alittle better, but still a bit empty,because this morning Yahoo sports reported that Grabovski was recalled, and that habs had obtained Hossa. Shouldn’t there be some type of discipline for reporting something that didn’t happen? they got us sky high, and then despair. what a rollercoaster ride. I thought it was a done deal. If the habs get in the playoffs I’ll feel better.

3. #3 habsalltheway says:
    February 26, 2008 at 9:32 pm

The way OTT is playing The LAFFS will pass them… lol

4. lol montreal is now tied but I’m just saying. Ottawa is really bad. and they’e been like this since january, so It’s not a streak that they’re on, un less u can call 30 games a cold streak.

5. #5 Rubberman says:
    February 26, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Folks, the Habs aren’t winning the Cup this year. Everyone predicted they wouldn’t make the playoffs. Enjoy the year and the playoff run.

As for trades, do you think anybody wants Montreal to get better. NO. Think of all the anti-Hab fans. There are a lot and frankly most are idiots when it comes to MTL. I’m guessing the same goes for GMs. The Habs have won the Cup too often and NOONE WILL THROW THEM A BONE. That’s why MOntreal has to pay more than most teams. SCREw the rest of the league.

If I were Gillet I’d push a change in the revenue sharing plan (?)and try the keep the cash in MTL. Tell the other owners and player agents to play fair. See how the southern teams deal with free agency in a few yrs with MTL’s income!!!

Enjoy the year, it could be a good one.

6. #6 Rubberman says:
    February 26, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Sorry type o, “see how the southern teams deal with free agency in a few yers without MTL’s income”.

7. I’m so glad Higgins wasn’t traded lol. He’s been a huge habs fan his whole life and now he plays for the habs, It’s just a great story. I almost think Higgins is better than Hossa. (Hossa only on pace for 72 pts!) Higgins is 24 years old!

8. samsonov scores both goals for canes! who’duthunkit

9. way to go boys! what a statement, f*ck Hossa!

10. #10 Senet 1 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 10:45 pm

well I would not plan the Cup pirade just yet, we should make the playoff but we need to start playing better in our own end especially now that we are going to rely on two rookie goalies. I personally think this is the right move. Our kids get some experience in the playoffs, I think Gainey should start attempting to sign Ryder as long as it is not to high and then if he continues to improve his play this year we either keep him or trade him in the summer. If we get two rounds in the playoffs I will be happy. If we get three that would be great. As far as the southern teams income is concerned eventually they either will not be part of the league or they will have to find more owners with deep pockets looking for tax right offs. They cannot keep going the way they are and survive, we need to be ready for the sell offs and take advantage at that point.

11. don’t get over excited but wow nice job guys. EXPLOSION!

12. Could someone please tell me why this was reported by Yahoo sports:
    Hossa soon a Canadien: Yahoo report
    posted by Dave Stubbs at 6h49 EST on Feb 26
    Yahoo Sports, citing an unnamed NHL executive, is reporting this morning that Marian Hossa will today join the Canadiens in exchange for at least Michael Ryder
    They should be fined heavily! for doing that to hab fans!

13. #13 alexmullen4180 says:
    February 26, 2008 at 11:37 pm

Man give Gainey a break. He wasn’t willing to part with players who form the core of this team which is still only a few points out of 1st in the East. Higgins is developing into a solid top-six winger and everyone would have regretted dealing him for Hossa. And with the Huet move there is room to sign someone this summer. I know Gainey hasn’t made any significant FA signings but nothing attracts players like a winning team.

14. Honestly I am happy that BG didnt trade the whole farm for Hossa.

IMO Pittsburgh gave up alot for a rental player.
    For them they pretty much said lets win the cup now.
    Because in two years that team will break apart.
    Mark my words.

Had Hossa come to the habs the whole team chemistry would get thrown off.

We got rid of one Hossa why would we want another?
    Also, Hossa is not a playoff performer.

BTW whoever said we need to win with all-stars?
    I would much rather win with the team now because the team psyche is just too good to mess around with.

This year I predict we will make it to the 2nd round.
    (this will increase the confidence and experience of our young guys and will be valuable for next year)

The Cup is coming next year for centennial anniversary!

GO HABS GO!

15. #15 Here Come the Bruins says:
    February 27, 2008 at 1:28 am

Thanks for the playoff push guys.

13 CH2009 Posted
    Patrice Bergeron is practicing asgain with the bruins. Bad news for hab fans.
    I’m starting to get a sinking feeling

The Bruins look young and awesome and your crappy Habs are on the way to sucksville.

16. Fu*k the Bruins and the Sens ,we gots lots of heart in the Bullbogs,”Biron,etc”. Bring it on!!!!

17. #17 Ice Man says:
    February 27, 2008 at 9:00 am

Dats rite Fu_k e’m.

18. #18 Stanley08 says:
    February 27, 2008 at 10:20 am

Somehow I feel that we put too much energy into Hossa and dropped the ball on Brad Richards.

Personally I think Richards would have been the man to get. That superstar forward that can do it all.
    To think Dallas offered Mike Smith, Jussi Jokinen, Halpern and a first rounder.
    I would have even asked Saku Koivu to waive his no trade and been better prepared.
    My offer would have consisted of Halak, Koivu and you choice of Gabovski OR S. Kostistyn and a first rounder.

Sorry but for a playoff MVP and a young superstar like Richards we would be set for years to come.

I think the Habs might have dropped the ball!!

19. #19 Ice Man says:
    February 27, 2008 at 10:48 am

During the press conf. after the trade deadline yesterday, Gainey said that he could have easily moved Price & Halak. There was quite the demand for the two.

Gainey done well yesterday.

20. Patrice Bergeron is practicing again. hooooooo, Praticing with is balls of a shaky guy that will stay far from the corners for the next 2 years. With him or without. The habs will whip you again and again and again. Go chit chat on the Bruins blog and get lost.

Go Habs Go

21. #21 jack hab says:
    February 27, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Good morning fellow desktop GMs. I’d like to say that most of the opinions and comments
    on this site are pretty intelligent and entertaining. I got up this morning and read a bunch
    of blogs that I don’t agree with, but make a lot of sense.

In other news… The Sens are finishing this year like they started last year… The Leafs are a
    ship without a rudder… And Boston will always be a non-issue.

22. Apparently Atlanta wanted 4 players 3 of whom were playing in last nights game.

Too steep a price to pay for someone you might not be able to sign at the end of the season.

The team has started the Price era on the right foot so hopefully that continues this weekend against Buffalo and New Jersey.

23. #23 Donnie says:
    February 27, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Love it or hate it…….Gainey handed the torch to Price yesterday, and he’s gonna be our #1 for a long time. Best to get behind him now cuz he’s there and thats it.
    Was it a good move?…..The next 17-18 games will tell that story, period.

Big 5-1 win with nothing from Kovy’s line is a step in the right direction….not saying the secondary scoring problem is over, but last night was promising.

Price is our man now….we knew it was coming and theres no more speculating as to when it was going to happen now. We were all excited about him taking the reigns…well, he’s got them…..alot of us thought it was too early and Gainey thinks its not…..probably gonna have to go with Bob on this, you know, with all his hockey and GM knowledge. Bottom line, Price is at the helm now, we all wanted him there….so now its just a matter of rooting our team on like we have every game night for years past. Gotta trust Bob’s instincts, and like I said, the rest of this season will tell the story….GO HABS GO !!!

24. #24 habs2b says:
    February 27, 2008 at 3:06 pm

was anyone aware of the fact that Gainey focused solely on Hossa, with no other balls in the fire? So in other words, if you don’t get Hossa, which we didn’t, there’s nothing left. Is this the way a responsible GM should manage a team? Are you kidding? while other GM’s are working on multitude deals, Gainey has blinders on, only attempting to get 1 player. Did you people see what Gainey did in the off season? nothing! oh, yes all the UFA’s (except Hamrlik), sat in the pressbox last night(Breezer, Dandeneault, Smolinski).
    And last year’s deadline, did nothing. the year before at deadline, nothing.
    He is unable to make trades and sign free agents. So what the hell has he done?
    remember that he isn’t the one who does the drafting, it’s Timmons.
    We need help on our 2nd line, help on defence, need a faceoff centerman, need a 3rd defensive player, need an experienced goalie to mentor Price, a power forward, AND GAINEY DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING TO IMPROVE THIS TEAM!!!
    This guy is afraid to make deals, he’s frail mentally, no guts, not aggressive, way too conservative.
    And wait, until the offseason, because he’ll sign NOBODY AS USUAL!
    As long as he is our GM this team will do nothing, and NEVER WIN THE CUP! MARK MY WORDS! absolutely shameful. in 4 years, he makes 1 trade. Are you kidding me? It probable would be better for us to miss the playoffs, because that’s the only way he gets fired. Once he’s gone, we will imprve and win the cup, and ONLY THEN!

25. #25 hablifer says:
    February 27, 2008 at 3:15 pm

I’m worried about the upcoming games, in Buff on Friday and Saturday vs NJ. I wouldn’t be surprised if we lose both. WE never beat those teams even tho we did beat NJ last time( because NJ stopped playing in the 3rd period).
    so it’s crunch time. Which team will show up?

26. #26 Senet 1 says:
    February 27, 2008 at 3:37 pm

hab2b, I think you are away off base. Firstly it takes two teams to deal and other than Ryder which apparently know one wanted and Huet, we did not have much to trade without giving up the farm. Gainey is the guy that has the ultimate decision on draft day and every GM at least takes the advice of their scouting staff but the decision is still theirs to make. The three UFA signed players have all worked reasonably well for our team however, it has been said that know one expected our young players to develop as fast as they did. The bottom line is are we better today than we were last year at this time, well the answer is in the standings. I agree that we need a centreman who can win more faceoffs and a good stay at home defensemen, but I would not be willing to give up all the prospects that we have in order to achieve these items. I have said it before and I will say it again this team is being built for next year not this year, the fact that it has progressed faster than expected is good and says a lot for the management and coaches of the team. As far as trades made in the last four years it is always been a proven fact that you build a team through the draft and at the right time if the right player is available you either trade for him or sign a FA. Gainey approaches the trade process the same as Sam Pollick, Sam would never trade is youth only his veterans for youth and Sam did not have to deal with the Cap. I believe that this team is going in the right direction and I still believe if the right player is available Gainey will try to get him by next year or this summer. So I would suggest you stop your Gainey bashing and think back to when he was not hear and the team we had to live with before he took over the job.

27. #27 groundworking says:
    February 27, 2008 at 3:44 pm

I think Gaigney made all the right moves yesterday. And I think he’s made the right moves for a long time. This team is young, over-performing beyond everybody’s wildest expectations (including mine, CBC’s, TSN’s, Sportnet’s and just about everybody at the start of the year). Also, what happens to team chemistry when you bring in a 7 million dollar or more guy who is less valuable of a player than those (Kovalev and Markov) who make considerably less money?

And why trade, Ryder, Lapierre, Higgins and Grabovski for a guy who is unproven in the playoffs, and who thinks he’s Jaromir Jagr? Hossa isn’t that good.

Good for Pittsburgh for picking him up. And good luck to Pitsburgh when they have three players eating up 50% of their salary cap. They’ll have a brilliant first line, Crosby, Hossa and Malkin, and then it’ll be like men’s league:

Crosby: “Hey guys, can we play 4 on 4 because we don’t have any subs?”
    Carbonneau: “No. This is the NHL.”
    Crosby: “Ok then. Can a few of your guys come play on our team?”
    Carbonneau: “Brisebois, Gorges, put on a white jersey”
    Crosby: “What about your spare goalie?”
    Carbonneau: “Nope”
    Crosby: “Oh why not!? Stop being a dork. You have a goalie sitting there on your bench doing nothing, and you’re going to make us turn our net around backwards! That’s pretty tight!!”

28. #28 Senet 1 says:
    February 27, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Donnie I agree with your that we have to ge behind Price because he is our goalie. Unlike you though I do not think that the next 18 games will tell the story unless of course you are only thinking of this year. As I see it if we can make the playoffs and hopefully play a couple of rounds, the kids will get the need playoff experience and the team will be that much better for it including Price. If there is any change I would make right now it may be our goaltender coach Price needs some guidance and I am not sure he is getting it. He needs to bring the speed of his mental process up a notch to match the NHL speed of the game, he handles the puck as good as most top goalies which is a plus compared to Huet. I agree with Gainey’s move he got what he could get for Huet before he lost him as a UFA.

29. #29 Senet 1 says:
    February 27, 2008 at 3:51 pm

groundworking, good one, I agree with you 100%. Some of the guys were upset because we did not take a shot at Richards. Well Richards is a good player there is no doubt about that but 7.8 M for the next 2 years is far too high a salary. He is not worth that amount of money and unfortunately, when his contract comes due he is going to want more. How much is too much before you say NO. If I could sign him for 5M maybe but he is not going to stay around for less than he is getting now.

30. We need fans that stop cry. I’m ashamed. Come the f.. on. They win… Good Jod, but any bad move and we have the worst GM. Well honestly, as much as the habs have the best fans, that as as much the have the worst. Thank freaking god you aren’t leafs fans cuz most of you would hang yourselfs. If they would be in the same position as last year, I’d say ok, something is wrong, but dawm, we are 1 POINT behind first in the Division what f…ing more do you want ? The cup handed to us without winning ???

Lol

Go Habs Go.

31. #31 Ice Man says:
    February 27, 2008 at 3:55 pm

That would be a start.

32. #32 Donnie says:
    February 27, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Thats what I meant Senet…the next 18 games will tell the story for this year….meaning, was Bob to hastey in giving up Huet.
    I’m not only looking to this year….Price will be a brilliant goalie in this league, but this year is whats upon us right now, and I’m following the games closely to see what we can achieve this year. I think in the end we will do no worst then we’ve been all year (which isn’t that bad) and our forwards gotta keep scoring….even the greatest goalies lose games when their team doesn’t score…can’t take our foot off the brake now or spend 10 games mourning the loss of Huet…keep playing hard, score goals, and Price will work out in the cage.
    We can have a successful finish without Huet, as long as no one is expecting a spot in the finals. I think the Cup is going out west again anyways. But yeah, for now, I’m thinking about this year…let the future happen when it unfolds, but Price is gonna be the man, he’s just been handed the team earlier than expected….kudos to Bob. GO HABS GO !!!

33. #33 Ice Man says:
    February 27, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Hab2b. You are STUPID FU@K. Keep your lame Ass comments to yourself.

34. Has anyone seen my Huet vid on youtube? It’s pretty good. I’m not saying It was bad to lose Huet but they could have gotten more if they traded him to a team that needed goaltending.(L.A) Either than Samsonov I’m always sad to lose a hab. Good Luck Huet!

35. #35 hablifer says:
    February 27, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Hey ICE MAN: keep your profanity to yourself! just because you don’t agree.
    to be honest, alot of people are upset with Gainey, and not because we didn’t get Hossa. We wanted to get someone ,period! I for one, are really deflated, and I don’t know if this team has what it takes to makes the playoffs.

36. Hello ? Making the playoff ain’t going to be different from the past 64 games. Common on people. Have faith in yours habs, they are doing much better than last year so give them a chance. If they don’t make the playoff, than you can complain, but for now, they are in the playoff run and theres 18 games left.

Think big stie

lol Go habs Go

37. #37 hablifer says:
    February 27, 2008 at 5:23 pm

there’s alot of tough games coming up against the teams we never beat, Ottawa, Buff, NJ, plus a 4 game road trip. I don’t know. depends on if they put in 60 minute efforts.

38. If they play like they did last night… They probably won’t win them all but they have great odds of winning many.

39. #39 frank taylor says:
    February 27, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Team that is beginning to concern me is the Bruins. They have a very hot goalie that the team rallies around and they play good team defense. They keep getting better and can win the close 2 to 1, 3 to 2 games in the playoffs.
    Pittsburg can stack their offense with Hossa but their team D and goaltending is average.

40. #40 Senet 1 says:
    February 27, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Donnie, I see the point you are trying to make and it would be nice to go deep into the playoffs, hopefully the kids can be steady enough to do that this year and in the process gain valuable experience. Those of us who think we are arm chair GM’s, if we are truely trying to improve our team then we have to look long term not short term. Just ask the Toronto fans and the New York Fans. One organization does not know how to draft and the other spends money on free agents that do not pan out. Who would have thought that NY would be struggling to make the playoffs this year after their FA signings last year. Rome was not built in a day and neither is a Stanley Cup winner.

Stuo11, I agree it would have been nice to get more than a 2nd round pick, but you have to deal with the teams that want to deal with you. Apparently other teams did not want to deal with us, or who knows sometimes developing a relationship with another GM today will foster future deals as well. Just look at the way Montreal and St, Louis use to deal with each other. So sometimes everything does not seem the way it looks. Have faith.

February 27, 2008 at 7:51 pm

In Bob we trust !

Its the Price age …. let it begin

GO HABS GO !!! GO HABS GO !!! GO HABS GO !!!

42. #42 Jaker1 says:
    February 27, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Does anyone think Gainey will take a run at Hossa in July. He definately won’t be re-signing with Pittsburgh unless they explain to Sidney Crosby that thanks for giving us a break on your salary but we will be paying Mr. Hossa more than you. He will be demanding 9-10 million per season.

February 27, 2008 at 8:22 pm

44. #44 hablifer says:
    February 27, 2008 at 8:41 pm

we won’t get him. I hear he might go to Boston. His best friend Chara wants him there, and they live next door to each other.

February 27, 2008 at 8:56 pm

LOL all ready the rumors seriously get a grib will ya ….

46. frank taylor,don’t worry bout the Bruins,they can kiss are collective C.H. asses,lol.

47. #48 hablifer says:
    February 27, 2008 at 10:07 pm

we shouldn’t worry about other teams. We just need to play our style and put in the 60 minute effort.

48. #49 Ice Man says:
    February 27, 2008 at 11:47 pm

Hey Hablifer, was I talking to you. If I want anymore mouth from you I will pull down my Zipper………..

49. #50 Habs4ever says:
    February 28, 2008 at 12:56 am

iceman,
    so I see you have made disparaging remarks against two bloggers here,
    most of us are on here because we enjoy the Habs and want to see them do better.

If you cannot respect other peoples opinions, and think you are the only one who knows anything, quite obviously you are a maple leaf supporter
    not a Hab supporter. as such, I for one do not wish to read your trash
    anymore so leave your juvenile comments off the site and switch to the maple leaf blog instead. I am quite sure other Habs bloggers will agree.