NHL 2008 Trade Deadline

1. #1 Habs4ever says:
    February 28, 2008 at 1:03 am

I don’t think hossa was the big name in trade deadline day
    I believe Richards was a bigger name
    what has Hossa done in the playoffs compared to Richards?

2. #2 habsfanforlife says:
    February 28, 2008 at 1:31 am

What has Richards done in the playoffs since 04?

3. Let’s all take a chill-pill ,shall we .we all have the C.H. branded on our asses ,lol.

4. #4 Ice Man says:
    February 28, 2008 at 8:56 am

Look here Habs4ever.

Have you heard me bash the Habs in here. Probally not.

I am and are probally more of a Habs Fan than you or anyone on this blog. I have spent tons of money in Habs stuff over the years proudly displayed in my rec. room.

DON’T DARE TO CALL ME A LEAF FAN.

5. Pittsburgh wont be able to resign Hossa in the offseason for 9 to 10 million a year. They don’t have the money, they are going for the cup and I feel like the habs would stop them.

Go habs Go

6. #6 Habs4ever says:
    February 28, 2008 at 10:49 am

ice man,
    I appreciate you are a habs fan, I’m not sure any bigger than I am, I even have a Canadiens logo tatoo, plus my rec room is also total Habs.
    Regardless I still don’t think anyone on the site should be trashed because
    of different opinions.
    so lets carry on and cheer on our Habs, I do believe there is a difference
    between trashing a team and commenting on deficiencies, but still loving
    the team and cheering for them.
    All said and done, lets cheer on the Canadiens.

7. Ok Habs4ever. Agreed.

My Apologies to whom ever I offened.

8. We are now all friends lol

Go Habs fans Go and Go Haba Go

9. #9 MrBigTime says:
    February 28, 2008 at 1:00 pm

ICE MAN:

I get pissed at stupid comments all of the time on this site too, and it’s great to see us all fired up, sometimes even moreso than our CH are :) … no sweat~

PS – Bruins?? Who’s worried about the Bruins? Unless Andy Moog is back playing nets for them, and Cam Neely becomes a half robot, we’ll be ok against the Bruins… Bergeron?? seriously guys, this guy gets nervous going into a corner store theses days.. he will never be the same. Bad for him, good for all other teams~

10. #10 MrBigTime says:
    February 28, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Ty Conklin made 50 saves the other night in the Pittsburgh win…and is 17-4-5 since Fleury went down… now the Penguins are something to be scared of!!

But who knows who we will meet in the first round with where things stand now… we should just worry about winning and getting into the playoffs for now, no one has clinched yet. It would be pretty funny to see the Sens move to the 7th-8th spot in the conference though… anything can happen when points are this close…

11. Boston actualy is 6th, but I think Montreal will be 2nd soon. They just have to win one of our next two! Probably against the Sabres.lol If we beat the devils, I’ll be sooo happy!

12. #12 rgillis says:
    February 28, 2008 at 5:35 pm

I am so very happy that Gainey did not give up for Hossa, he is not worth the players that we would loose and definately not worth the contract that he would want as well.

As for Huet, it is a huge chance, but it is going to work out in the end, Price is going to be just fine, it is going to be up to Markov and Kommie and the rest of the defense to really help out with offensive opportunities.

One more thing, i heard about 10 times about us only having 1 line, 1 line, 1 line nothing else. That is not really true. If you are to look at the stats for Montreal, you would notice that out of the top 7 scorers for Montreal, they are on the second line. The Koivu line just has to get going, they have been doing fine lately and that is a great sign for things to come, but we have enough offense, more than 97% of the league actually this year, just have to concentrate on defense.

My 2 cents.

13. FOR SALE…….ONE PAIR never used red, white and blue hockey gloves ( short….obviously designed for a goal scorer), delivered to Bell Centre by accident…..owner not found.

$20.00

all proceeds to go to the >>Lets find a Goal Scorer for Montreal Foundation<<<

14. #14 patrick says:
    February 28, 2008 at 9:55 pm

1) goal scoring not a problem

2) everyone in the east is beatable, EVERYONE!

15. Everyone, specially Pittsburgh that departed with 2 good players and at his first game, Hossa ACL injury and I he’ll probably be out for at least 2 weeks lmao. Way too funny.

People Habs are going to finish first in division and I wouldn’t be surprised if they finished in 1st of conference.

Go Habs Go

16. Both Ottawa and Pittsburgh lost tonight!!!

We can move past Ottawa with a win tommorrow night.

Lets go Habs!

17. #17 Habs4ever says:
    February 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm

Habsfanforlife # 202
    Agreed, but Richards can perform in the playoffs, he has proven that.
    Hossa disappears in the playoffs, they go in different directions,
    Tampa was a flash in the pan that hit gold, now reality has set in,
    where is Hossa tonight ?? where is Richards tonight ?? I don’t think there is
    much doubt about who the better player is. Dallas has improved their
    lineup considerably-however so has the Penguins.
    It’s going to be a crap shoot in the playoffs and anyone can up a winner,
    I just hope it’s the Habs who do it best.

February 28, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Hossa was hurt in his first game with the Pens sat out the 3rd … a knee

See how things are people, no one this planet knows whats gonna happen next.

GO HABS GO !! GO HABS GO !! GO HABS GO !!

19. sens lose! now mtl is 1 point behind them and 1 more game left.

20. #20 Christopher says:
    February 29, 2008 at 12:18 pm

I find it quite laughable that all of you so called “die-hard” fans come out here and blog away negatively and rip apart the very team you claim to love. Part of being a die hard fan is riding with the team through all of the highs and lows. Granted there have been many low points in the organization in the last 10 years….currently we are experiencing a great high! We should be celebrating and feel pround of what our boys are accomplishing. We all know the HABS have not been this high in the standing since they won the cup in 1993. However we must also think in realistic terms. This is a young team that is overachieving this year because of the rapid development of two key players (Koistisyn and Plekanec) as well as the turn-around play of a suddenly motivated Kovalev. There is still development to be done and experience to be had. This is the perfect time to trade away unecessary assets ie. Huet)

Give the full reigns to Carey Price and Jaro Halak….if they fail so be it, gives them valuable experience and pressure they will need to be successful long term in this city. I give Bob Gianey a great deal of credit for making this kind of move now. It shows he has the balls to do what it takes to bring this team to its former glory. He is a proven leader both as a Player(show with retiring his number) and a front office man (leading Minnesota North Stars to the Stanley cup finals in the early Nineties, and then building a cup winner in Dallas as their GM in the late Ninties.) I think we should all put a little more trust into this man, as he has proven he knows what he is doing both off and on the ice. Lets all show him the respect he deserves.

Regarding the trade deadline…..I have never been a fan of signing rental players. Really what is the point? It takes a lot longer to gel with a team then 8 weeks before the playoffs. And what if the palyer does not mix well with the team? Look what happened when we brought in Samsinov two years ago! There is no guarantee with name talent. Hossa is over-rated bottom line. The media hypes up trades like a firestrom, and close to none of them ever help a team win the cup in the end. Why would we give up proven talent and main ingridients in our team of Higgins, Ryder, and top prospects for a rental? Makes no sense to me and i am glad Gainey was not able to pull the trigger on the deal. We now have more than enough room under the cap to take a hard look and evaluate in LENGTHIER time span what we need additionally in the off season. Pulling the trigger on a deal at the last minute never works, and i suspect Pittsburg will realize this when they again lose in the first round and Hossa signs with someone else in the off season. They gave up way too much to get him, and their GM will be hearing about it to the effect of possibly losing his job. He will alresdy be losing either Malkin or crosby in the nest 2-3 years as well because both of them will be demanding upwards of $9mill + in the market then.

Lets evaluate Michael Ryder as well, seeing as he is another favorite to get picked on. Lets compare him to say Kovalev. What did Alexi do for us last year? Nothing…underachieved to great porportion. But in a year later they guy is an all-star again. The same will and can be said about Ryder. He is having an off year, but is a natural goal scorer in this league as he has proven. In recent last two weeks he has shown signs of turing it around, and i suspect Gianey has witnessed this and decided to hold on to him. Even if he walks at the end of the year, he gives us second line of scoring that has made us successful already this year. I predict he will have a strong presence in the playoffs and will again sign with the team for at least one more year in the off season. We dont want to see another Ribeiro situation here where we trade a proven goal scorer away, only to see him have amazing year with another club (look what he is doing in Dallas with less pressure).

Finally this audascious statement that we only have one scoring line, again just laughable. We are sitting in fourth overall in total number of goals scored. Behind only the almight Red Wings and Senators. We have more than proven to all the nay sayers (even within our own fans) that we can score on multiple lines, 5-on-5 and held on to our top powerplay line, even with the loss of baby Souray (whom by the way is having quite the year with the lowly Oilers lol)….I guess Souray didnt want to be a part of something special that is about to happen in Montreal….just in time for the 100 year Centennial Celebration happening next year. Coincidence? You decide…..Gainey has many surprises in his sleeve yet to come.

21. I like Price more but I think that Price should start saturday not friday. And DEFFINETELY NOT BOTH!!! Halak should play tonight.

22. Cristopher,your post was great till ya got to Ryder and tried to compare him to Kovalev,lol,apples and oranges man.As for Ryder ,if he is to be a Hab next year,he better stay on his goal scoring horse and ryder if he want to be a Hab next year,”notice NO other teams wanted him”

23. #23 Ice Man says:
    February 29, 2008 at 3:18 pm

I agree with you Christopher.

Xtrahabsfan, read his post again. He is not comparing talent. Just the way both had off seasons.

Do people in here find it hard to read posts or what. They read what they want to see.

24. #24 Senet 1 says:
    February 29, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Did any of you guys consider that no body wanted Huet, think about it, he cannot handle the puck, he is inconsistent in goal and we were probably lucky at the last minute to get Washington to take him for a second rounded especially since he is a UFA.

If Gainey had traded Higgins, Ryder a roster defenceman and a 1st rounder and Hossa got injured like last night and say he was put out for the season. Now consider he decided not to sign with the Habs for next year. Now how do you like this trade?

25. #25 rgillis says:
    February 29, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Well said Christopher

26. #26 datara says:
    March 1, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Ditto, Well put Christopher, I remember the year Koivu was sidelined with
    cancer, I believe Linden was with the team, League high # of man games lost to
    injury and (if I remember the right) Theodore on his way to MVP.

I had no dillusions of a Stanley cup, but (at least prior to this year, or in the previous 10 years or so )never had I been a more proud habs fan.

This years team is the best in a long time, I didn’t at the beginning of the
    year and still do not have high hopes for a cup this year, but I’m a believer
    in Bob Gainey, and the NEAR future.

I always felt that Huet reminded me of Kirk McLean, he was brilliant in spurts
    couldn’t (contrary to what was said) handle the puck. I never believed that McLean was a great goalie, and was never sold on Huet.
    If my take on Price is right (and I could be on glue)then he wants the spotlight, he was made the go to guy in the WJ’s guess what, he was the starter
    out of nowhere in the playoffs for the Bulldog’s, guess what.

To paraphrase a scene with Gene Hackman and Keannu Reeves from the “Replacements” – Winners always want the ball, when the game is on the line.

And I think Price is a winner.

Finally to all the complaining HABS FANS?????, whatever happened to real hockey
    teams, you know the ones that were built not bought. Back in the day when trades to build your team were the exception not the rule. I DON”T WANT A RENTAL PLAYER!!!!!! I didn’t like the Kovalev trade (I can live with it now because he is still a hab)then, and I don’t want another one.

I want to identify with the team from start to finnish for the season, win or lose.

This is the best product we have seen in years, they are young, talented, mostly products of our own system, if you want a window shopped team go follow the Laughs or Rangers.

MY TAG NAME IS DATARA and I AM A HABS FAN!!!

27. #27 Christopher says:
    March 5, 2008 at 11:50 am

Glad to see that there are some positive intelligent HABS fans out in this blog. DATARA you make some very valid points and i def agree with what your saying about buolding a team from the ground up they way the HABS have. Granted there have been a couple trades/signings (Kovalev, Smolinski) but for the most part this team has been built.

We should all been extremely excited about the up-coming playoffs as well as future seasons to come. Can you believe the hockey new predicted us to finish 14th in the conference???