Patrick Roy #33 Jersey Retired

• The Montreal Canadiens welcomed back Patrick Roy with open arms on Thursday, announcing that his No. 33 will be raised to the rafters of the Bell Centre in a special pre-game ceremony on Nov. 22 when they host the Boston Bruins.

With all the History surrounding Patrick Roy, does he or does he not deserve his number retired?

1. Yes. This is awesome.

The situation that caused him to leave should not impact what he accomplished in Montreal.

September 12, 2008 at 10:10 am

I dont think patrick quit on the team, i think he was pissed at how he was hung out to dry that night. Whouldnt you be? Tremblay and Houle are the big reasons why we went from champs to chumps. We are just recovering now from it. In my eyes he is still the greatest goalie of all time and i am glad to see him get the respect he deserves. There will never be another patrick. GO #33 GO

3. #3 hab faithful says:
    September 12, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I doubt Roy was the only player in the history of the NHL, to be left in while his team was being bombed.
    But he is: THE ONLY PLAYER IN THE HISTORY OF THE NHL TO DISGRACE HIS ORGANIZATION IN FRONT OF 18,000 FANS, AND ACT LIKE THE IMMATURE BABY HE IS!
    It is, without doubt, disgraceful that his nimber is being retired, especially that it’s being done befrore LOYAL players like Shutt and Lapointe!
    No wonder nobody wants to play in this city.
    They honor players who are DISLOYAL, and don’t honor players who were totally loyal!
    If his last name wasn’t french, this would never ever happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. hab faithful…do u agree with anything? The greatest goalie of all-time deserves to be honoured by the greatest franchise of all time where he earned most of his accolades

September 12, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Habs get lang for a second round pick in 2010

6. #6 jack hab says:
    September 12, 2008 at 6:50 pm

Brace yourselves boys… Breezer is back. I know he had a decent season
    last year but expecting the same this year may be a tall order.

7. #7 groundworking says:
    September 12, 2008 at 6:57 pm

Congratulations Roy.

It was Patrick Roy in 1986 who turned me onto hockey and onto the Montreal Canadiens. I was 7. I started playing hockey that year, watching hockey that year, and have been a die-hard Canadiens fan ever since.

Retiring Roy’s number is great for me!

8. Brodeur even agrees. Called Roy a pioneer who perfected the butterfly and insisted it’s important to distinguish his behaviour from his skills

9. #9 Dancan81 says:
    September 12, 2008 at 7:28 pm

The only reason why we won our last 2 cups, deserving imo.

10. Robert Lang? Better than nothing, great job Gainey! lets get that cup, and we have Brisebois back!:)

11. I think there was more to Roy leaving than that particular night when Trembley hung him out to dry. Roy and Trembley did not see eye to eye on a lot of issues rounding the team and since this personality conflict was there Roy simply could not play for Trembley any more. The greatest goalie with the bests goalie record who played and won the cup for the Canadiens needs to be recognized and his number needs to be retired.

12. The pick we gave was toronto’s pick we acquired recently, so when you look at it the trade actually looked like this:

Grabovski for Lang & Pateryn

Gainey….you….are….a genius!

13. This is an interessting trade in that it gives us a bigger centreman who scored 20+ goals last year with Chicago. If he brings the same game to Montreal that he had last year he could score 30 goals for us. He has played with Kovalev in Pittsburg so there is a potential for him to centre Kovy and move someone else on Plekanec line. We could have three offensive lines with Koivu centring the third line. Lang had as many points as koivu scored more goals and had a better plus/minus so to me he could be moved into our #1 centre position. What do the rest of you think?

14. So here is how I see our lines:
    Tanguay, Lang, Kovalev
    A. Kost, Plekanec, S. Kost. (this line may need more muscle at times)
    Higgins, Koivu, Latendress (Chipchura)
    Begin, Lappierre, Laraque (Kostopoulos)

Chipchura and Kostopoulos can sub in at right or left wing if we need more muscle or in case of injury. It does not look like there is much room for any rookies this year unless we send Latendresse down to Hamilton like we talked about a month ago. Give him the wake up call they he may need.

Looks like a pretty good offense to me.

15. Our defence seems to be set although I think if we have a weakness this is it.

Markov – Komisarek
    Hamrlik – OByrne
    Gorges – Bouillon
    Brisebois – Dandenault

Only six of these will play and they may bring OBryne on slowly to let him develop over the season. Play him against the more physical teams while Brisebois and Dandenault will play against the less physical teams. Dandy will probably see some icetime on the fourth line as well.

I still think Gainey will shore up the defence if the right player comes along.

16. I would also like to add that with Lang’s signing, Gainey must have gotten a read from Sundin that he was either retiring or not coming to Montreal unless he comes later in the season when Montreal would have the cap space to still sign him.

17. I gotta say, on paper this is starting to look pretty excting…

You notice there’s not a single Andreas Dackell, Bill Lindsay, Chad Kilger, Nicklas Sundstrom, Pierre Dagenais, Patrick Traverse etc etc filling regular roster spots…

In other words, no more mediocre starters…still feels like that changed over night…

18. senet 1….i think kostopolous gets a spot over begin and dandenault is all but done as a Hab.

19. for Lats, the wake up call he needs is Big Georges. He’ll see some ice time with Laraque to show him how to be a true force in front of the net.

20. Alias you could be right on both accounts, one thing that keeps Begin in the lineup especially on the fourth line is he is a nature centreman and they need that for faceoffs in their own end especially when facing the Number #1 line on the other team.

One thing we talked about a month ago is that Gainey has 8 games to consider whether to send Latendresse down to the minors, once he plays 8 more games then he has to clear waivers. So to me I send the message early before those 8 games run out.

21. Habs Blog, I agree, there is not much in the way of weakness in our forward positions we technically could put three first lines on the ice and our fourth line is pretty good too. As well we have some quality players to fill the holes due to injury or to act as competition for those extra spaces. I am still concerned about our defence. I was looking at some experience defenseman who are free agents, someone like a Hedican or Karney might be helpful. They are both solid plus minus players with decent size. I would like to see Gainey add a good defensive defenseman. To me we showed our weakness in this area last year in the playoffs especially against Philly.

22. I’m happy the 33 is being retired. I don’t hate him for wanting to leave the habs. I hated the organization for treating him like they did. I’m still a habs fan and I still think Patrick was the best goaltender to play the game. I’m glad the two have kissed and made up.

23. Another view on Lang’s impact….

24. Latendresse-Lang-Kovalev
    Higgins- Koivu-Tanguay
    Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
    Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Laraque

Markov-Komisarek
    Hamrlik-O’Byrne
    Gorges-Boullion

Price
    M.Denis

25. We have to use Brisebois i the playoffs though. He was our best defencemen last year, and with this being his last hockey season of hs life he will play his best. They should have signed Brisebois to a two-way contract lol.

26. #26 hab faithful says:
    September 14, 2008 at 10:49 am

what kind of lousy blog is this, when they dob’t even acknowledge the acquisition of Lang? If you’re not going to report important news, you’re useless!

27. Our defence is going to be just fine this year…I really don’t see a major weakness there. And we a lot of good young defencemen coming up in a few years in case someone leaves or gets injured this year.

28. I hope you are right but our defence has not improved from the playoffs last year and with the exception of being a little healtier that is about lal the improvement you are going to see. If you watched the playoffs last year against philly when we were pressured with did not perform well in front of our goalie, so I do not buy the argument that our defence is fine. We still need a steadying force back there in my opion.

29. Brisebois will probably play 50 plus games ike last year. He had something to prove in the playoffs last year and I agree he played far better than anyone could amagine.

30. Well if Lang proves me right then he will be our Number 1 centre and Koivu will be relegated to the third line centre. You have to give your first line 20 plus minute a game and therefore you do not want Tanguay on the third line. Give me a third ine that can score though when it received 15 to 18 minutes

31. If Koivu proves me wrong and I hope he does, then he will deserve more ice time but you cannot give a centreman that only gets 15 goals a season the type of icetime that a 20-30 goal centre should have and you have to have your best wingers on that first line with him.

32. Alias, that article is quite interessting in that it calls Lang a third line centre, I wish we had a third line centre that scored 20 goals last year.

33. So the big question to me is do you reunite Lang with Kovalev or do you leave Kovalev with Plekanec and A.K. and Put Lang and Tanguay together. There is a third problem (nice to have) Higgins was our third leading goal scorer last year, do you relegate him to the third line or move him over to right wing with Lang and Tanguay.
    Personally I like my original line combinations, because you have a youth line, a experience line and a fall back line with Koivu centering it. My only problem with that is having Higgins playing third line icetime.

34. I guess I am the only guy on the blog today??????????????

35. #35 Dancan81 says:
    September 14, 2008 at 4:22 pm

hab faithful
    September 14th, 2008 at 10:49 am

Why do you keep coming back then? Another year of reading your complaints and negativity is gonna be such a joy!

36. I agree Cancan81! Tired of the complaining?

37. Besides it would be sort of anti climatic since we all know about the trade and we have already talked about it. One thing about the blog, one we leave one most of us seems to go to the next one and not come back to the original, so the Patrick Roy storey has had it time and most of us moved on.

38. Dancan81 thank-god you said something about habs faithful…I get so tired of his comments that make no sense

I love this blog and I think Craig has done a great job on the new design.

anyways I love the move for Lang, I think he is a cheaper version of Sundin but I`m not sure if we have all our peices in place to take a shot at the title…does anyone feel we need to make one more move

39. #39 jack hab says:
    September 14, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Gentlemen, haven’t you figured out hab UN faithful is a Laff fan.

I see his name and laugh… remember josh tm? Same prick.

40. Thanks Jack Hab for filling us in.

41. #41 habknot says:
    September 14, 2008 at 8:20 pm

I think Roy should be honoured, but they are retiring too many numbers. Put the name and number on a wall of fame. The only retired numbers should be 1, 2 , 4, 7, 9, 10. . One per dynasty/era whatever [except Harvey, Plante, Rocket; each the best at their position]. The others honoured and taken out of circulation for 5 or 10 years

This is the way I see Carbo’s lines
    A.Kots Pleks Kovalev
    Tanguay Koivu S. Kots
    Lats Lang Higgins
    Begin Lapierre Laraque
    after Kovalev, those RW can move up or down based on performance/chemistry. That leaves a small second line, but I don’t think there’s much concern about matching them up against most lines.
    I’d love to see Lats, Lang and Laraque; but I think it unbalances the team. If Lats is as out of shape as I’ve heard then Stewart, Dandenault, Kotsopolous are in the mix . Breezeby might be the next D turned winger by Carbo, that way he’ll be available for the point on PP. anyway that’s my 2 cents.

[this from Habs IN/OUt:

Guilaume Latendresse will be coming to camp with wings on his skates.

OK, that might be a slight exaggeration.

But his stride looks fluid in that souvenir photo, and Gui! spent time this summer at skating school. Paul Lawson, a friend of Trevor Timmins who coached at the Canadiens development camp, worked with Latendresse and his brother Olivier, as well as Pavel Valentenko and Cody Hodgson,who was Vancouver's first round draft choice.

Latendresse, who's been a father for eight weeks, also did some off-season work on diet and nutrition.

so maybe my source saw a look-a-like?]

42. Lucky, I think I offense is in place, but not our defense.

43. Well if Lang brings his game to Montreal then I think we should consider him in our top two lines. After all he did score more goals than Koivu last year and had the same number of points and he was supposely a third line centre. Besides He had good chemistry with Kovalev in Pittsburg so I would like to see him reunited at least for a while to see if the chemistry develops again. I see Koivu as our third line centre. I cannot see giving him number one centre icetime if we are only going to get 15 goals and 50 points out of him. I hope he proves me wrong but that is how I see it.

44. Regarding Latendresse, I hope you are right and he comes out smokin this fall. If he does not show up in the first five games then I would send him to the minor while we still can, he has 8 games left before he has to clear waivers.

45. …that Craig Ludwig comment was meant as a joke btw, didn’t think it would be taken seriously….

46. #46 Dancan81 says:
    September 14, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Haha.

47. #47 hab faithful says:
    September 15, 2008 at 2:44 pm

prick!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. hey guys i think hab faithful IS that old josh tm guy :)

49. …that Craig Ludwig comment was meant as a joke btw, didn’t think it would be taken seriously….

Where is that comment about Ludwig, I can’t find it.

50. I’ve said it before….you can’t look at it like lines 1, 2, 3. These are 3 lines that could be a #1 line. The 3 lines will get similar ice time, with Kovy’s line geting slightly more.

Heres how the lines should play out (with my point projections) and why….

Line 1a
    AK47(70) – Pleks(75) – AK27(85)
    this was our best line last year, why would you break it up? Pleks & AK47 should continue to improve.

Line 1b
    Tanguay(75) – Koivu(65) – Higgins(70)
    Koivu and Higgins have good chemistry already, Tanguay fits their style of play best. This line could match Kovy’s line in points

Line 1c
    Lats(50) – Lang(55) – S. Kost(60)
    Only problem I see is S. Kost might be too quick for this line, but Lang & Lats can clear some room for him to dangle.

Line 4
    Kostopolous(15) – LaPierre(20) – Laraque(15)
    One very scary line….won’t get many points tho

PP1
    AK47 – Pleks – AK27
    Markov – S. Kost
    S. Kost is the perfect player to take Streit’s spot, he can stick handle very well, is strong on the puck, can take a hit, he is quick, and makes great passes.

PP2