Peter Forsberg in Montreal?

• The Peter Forsberg rumors are the strongest they’ve been all year. With Montreal apparently one of the top contenders for Forsberg should he leave Philadelphia.

Forsberg is meeting with Flyers Management today to discuss his future.

Forsberg in Montreal? Is it worth it? At what price? What will it take and will the price be too high for what is essentially a rent-a-player? No one honestly thinks Forsberg is going to come and have a mini career in Montreal do they?

Who or what would you give up for Forsberg?

February 11, 2007 at 3:32 pm

perezhogin and a 3rd rounder

2. #2 smiler2729 says:
    February 11, 2007 at 4:14 pm

Perezhogin…

3. #3 Kazmojo says:
    February 11, 2007 at 4:20 pm

How does this work with the cap? Do the Habs pay the rest of his salary? If so, wouldn’t they have to give up players with comparable cap hits? The Aucoin/Smolinksi for Samsonov/Rivet rumours work out better in terms of salary, and is probably a better fit for the Habs regardless. Forsberg is too much of an injury risk, is another lefty on a team lousy with lefties, and where would he play? I don’t see him displacing either Koivu, Plekanec or Bonk up the middle.

4. Rivet,Niinimaa,Huet or Abby , Ryder and Perezhogin for GAGNE AND Forsberg

5. #5 Brent T. says:
    February 11, 2007 at 4:25 pm

I’d insist on keeping Markov, Plekanec, Higgins, Bégin, Johnson, Komisarek, Latendresse, Streit, and prospects Halak, Price, the Kostitsyns, Grabovski, and Chipchura. I’m reluctantly leaving Koivu off of my untouchable list – never thought I’d do it. I’d offer only one of of most of the rest (Souray, Rivet, Kovalev, etc.) combined with picks and lighter prospects, but would agree to package them in two’s or three’s if one or two of them was Samsonov, Niinimaa, Downey, or Murray.

I’d also insist in a clause that would return picks or cash to us from Philly if Forsberg didn’t play a decent number of games due to health.

I’d even go bigger (ie. blockbuster) if Philly wanted to include Gagné and maybe Eager (for grit).

Clearly, we’ve got to do something to jump-start this team and build for the future at the same time by clinging to our best young players.

I’m not sure a one-off for Forsberg would do the trick at this stage. One guy cannot carry this bunch on his back – especially with a bad foot. I’d still do the deal, though, out of spite and frustration.

Clearly, I would suck as a GM :-)

6. #6 doggone R habs says:
    February 11, 2007 at 4:44 pm

There’s no way habs will get Forsberg. He’s going back to Colorado, or else where. When have we ever land a high scorer? NEVER! We always end up with the rejects that no other team wants! Samsonov is an example of that.
    It doesn’t matter how many rumors you hear involving the habs, because Gainey never does anything anyways! He’s just going to let this team rot, until they’re out of playoff contention, then he’s going to be a seller! watch, you’ll see. Other teams that are better than us,( including the leafs), will make sure they get the top players they want, BUT IT WIL NEVER NEVER NEVER BE THE HABS!!!!!!! So you’ll just have to be content with the B players here(never A), and a lifetime of mediocrity!! Sad that this once mighty franchise will end up like Chicago,(and how many years since they have had a respected decent team?)
    The habs will always be in the #2 tier, never in the top echilon, because nobody wants to play here, and I can’t honestly blame them. Toronto has taken over as the desirable place to play, and Toronto IS a better team than us!!
    I’m now convinced of that! They will always get the players we want!
    I think I’m going to find another team that’s willing to do whatever necessary to make the playoffs. Maybe Vancouver? At least players want to go there.

7. #7 WICKSTER says:
    February 11, 2007 at 4:51 pm

Would’nt give more than Perezogin for Forsberg. Forsberg will not solve the problem’s of this team. They need wholsale change’s, RESTRUCTURE!

8. Frankly I don’t want Forsberg here. At this point what would he do for this team? And we have little chance of getting Gagne in the deal too. Let’s face it. We have very few players any other team would be interested in. (Souray, Higgins,Latendresse, Markov are the exceptions) Doggone R Habs hit it on the head. We only get the players other teams don’t want. So as far a pulling off any big blockbuster trades it’s not going to happen. You have to HAVE something before you can GET something. Besides, the way Samsonov has been treated why would anyone want to come play here?

9. #9 Rubberman says:
    February 11, 2007 at 5:23 pm

I wouldn’t go for Forsberg. I would have in early January when he could have made a difference.

10. #10 stevejur says:
    February 11, 2007 at 5:32 pm

Why would he not come? Never, never, never SHUT UP what do you know anything is possible.
    Forsberg could suit up for Montreal why not? If Gretzky, Thorton and Roy can get traded anyone can.

I would prefer Gainey to go after Berard, Bertuzzi and Nagy, 2 proven goalscorers.
    Bert would add size and touch while Nagy’s goalscoring would be a blessing.
    Berard would add some insurance if we can’t resign Souray.
    These 3 moves would make us Stanley Cup Heavyweights and add some insurance.

As much as I’d love Forsberg we don’t need another playmaker.

11. #11 Rubberman says:
    February 11, 2007 at 5:34 pm

Here’s something different. What if?

Back before the new CBA, the Habs could have spent money like the Red wings to build a big, powerhouse team. They didn’t. Why? This team was financially successful and didn’t bother getting the best. The management team went with okay players and not go after a Lemieux, Gretzky type player, etc… They owed it to the fans, but they didn’t move on anything.

So now, they can only spend so much under the CBA. The more I dwell on this, the more it upsets me that we could have contenders if money was spent more freely, instead of sucking the last 13 yrs…

So, Bob, target future free agents. Don’t bother trading our future, let go the players that arent’t producing (buy out or just firing them), and go after players like Thorton, Lecavalier, St Louis, Brodeur, etc…

12. #12 Habs4life says:
    February 11, 2007 at 5:53 pm

Habs are not getting forsberg because he wants to go to the west. As much as I want to see him come to Montreal, It’s not going to happen. Plus I dont think the trade for a rentel player is fai for us, maybe if we were getting him for more than 2 months. Also habs probably aren’t making the playoffs anyways so it doesn’t matter and everyone should drop the subject!

Habs 4 Life

13. Please, Gainey get Forsberg, anything to get out of this slump we have been in the last 2 months. I hope we can make a blockbuster at the deadline to try and get him. We need to act desperate here because the Laffs are only 3 points behind now. I don’t want my worst nightmare to come true. I hope the Canadiens can finally wake up and do something about this slump. They have to beat Florida on Tuesday and then try and somehow, somehow beat the Devils iun New Jersey, which is about as rare as the Laffs ever winning a Stanley Cup!!!! Ouch!! I hate to say this, but our team SUCKS!! I have been a lifelong fan but this team absolutely sucks!

Ziman

14. #14 smiler2729 says:
    February 11, 2007 at 5:56 pm

I don’t really want Peter Forsberg, he’s a china doll…

15. #15 fuzz16@work says:
    February 11, 2007 at 6:19 pm

Abby & niinima and maybe a 3rd rounder for Forsberg….and thats a lot….we ould only have ot pay him like 1.3 mil so we would save money…go habs go!!!…cup baby

16. #16 HABMAN says:
    February 11, 2007 at 6:46 pm

I heard that Forsberg only wants to go to a Western Conference team, unless something has changed. Rumors are rumors I guess, he could end up just about anywhere.

17. Take another rumor for what it’s worth but I’ve heard this:

Halak/Fischer/Samsonov for Foppa.

I figure it’s Fischer instead of a 1st in 2007.

I’d only do the deal if Forsberg was going to be healthy and wanted to sign an extension as Kovalev did to stay in Montreal for at least another season.

Otherwise I’d still much rather have Gary Roberts in uniform.

18. isnt it just like new jersey to get their hats handed to them by tampa today?…………figures….now they’ll be even ornerier ( word? ) by wednesday.

think that puts habs officially in 7th?

19. #19 stevejur says:
    February 11, 2007 at 7:06 pm

Halak?? Sorry man deals off the table.
    We can’t afford to lose another Vokoun, didn’t we learn already?
    Halak will be insurance in case Price is not ready.

20. #20 doggone R habs says:
    February 11, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Boston just made a deal. They sent Stuart and Primeau to Calgary for Ference and Kobasew. How come they’re able to make trades, and we, (who despeately need to make trades), do NOTHING!
    I told you guys, Gainey ia LAME DUCK GM WHO DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
    He will run this franchise into the ground! He only wants us to finish in last place! Gainey needs to go! Gillette get a GM with balls, and courage, and one who wants this franchise to succeed, and willing to do what’s necessary.
    I lost all respect for Gainey!

21. #21 doggone R habs says:
    February 11, 2007 at 8:28 pm

Oh, BTW, we have now dropped to 7th place. were 1 point out of 8th place. Happy, Gainey? It’s what you wanted.

22. #22 heatedspezz says:
    February 11, 2007 at 8:30 pm

all the habs bar huet and latendresse

23. Do you people believe the crap you all put on this “BLOG”? You have the nerve to call yourselfs “HABS FANS”? All I read on this site is the talk of spoiled little “knowitalls” that are never satified with anything. Also do you really believe that your little rants go unnoticed? Well think again .

24. #24 stevejur says:
    February 11, 2007 at 10:14 pm

doggone R habs stop with the Gainey bashing man.
    Did you forget that he just lost his daughter not too long ago, take it easy.
    Would it make you feel better if he got fired?
    I think he’s been through enough.
    He’ll make a move within the next couple of days relax, it’s coming.

25. #25 doggone R habs says:
    February 11, 2007 at 10:24 pm

Business is business! I’m sorry for his loss but he needs to concentrate on his job, and if his head is not in the right spot, then he should relinauish his job to someone who is more capable! He was a great defensive player, but a lousy GM. everyone on this site knows exactly what I’m talking about.
    We’ve been sliding for more than 2 months, and NOTHING has been done by him to help this team. It’s as though he doesn’t care, at the fans expense.
    Remember, we’ve been down this road before, and NOTHING was done in the offseason either! We need a new coach and GM, then changes will take place.
    As long as Gainey is GM, expect a lousy, non playoff team!!

26. #26 R habs 4 real says:
    February 11, 2007 at 10:31 pm

I hear that Bertuzzi probably won’t play again this year. That doesn’t help us.
    The best rumour going, is Horcoff for Sammy and Rivet. I’ll drink to that.
    Confirmed, Souray is leaving at the end of the season and going to LA.
    How about Eric Brewer as a rental, then signing here to a contract?

27. It’s life sucks,time to get a helmet time for Habs Fans,thanks Bob and Guy, thanks for nothing….wait…. one more thing Bob,your boy Niinimaa,played not even 2 fu2king mins in the 1st when two goals were scored.You say the fans made you get Samsonov,who in the hell do you blame for Nemo Niinimaa? Youpie?And Niinimaa,try not to take this personal,HIT THE ROAD JACK AND NEVER COME BACK NO MORE!!!

28. #28 R habs 4 real says:
    February 11, 2007 at 11:09 pm

How come other teams make trades, and we never do? what’s up.
    Even tho the Bell centre is sol out every game, I’ve noticed lately alot of empty seats. Guess Gillett doesn’t care, as long as every game is sold out.
    But look out next season; if we don’t have a good team, the fans won’t buy tickets, and won’t come.
    Obviously, Gainey has not learned that. A bad product= no shows!

29. That’s what killed the EXPO’S ,a Fans Strike. HUMMMM???

30. #30 R habs 4 real says:
    February 11, 2007 at 11:46 pm

I’d really like to see more players from Hamilton. I think Danis and Halak are better collectively than Aebischer(makes me want to vomit) and Huet(weakling and allows soft goals). Also, the Ninny probably could make a better living as a nanny, and Rivet, should become a stand up comic, because he’s a total joke, and we laugh at him! Carbo should have stayed in Dallas, because he can’t take the pressure here. You know what they say: “if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen”! Bye bye !

31. #31 lorenzo says:
    February 12, 2007 at 12:44 am

I cant believe the comment from some of these so-called Habs fans, especially this disrespectful doggone r habs. Let me remind you of something, 1)Bob Gainey is probably the ONLY reason why our team was in the playoffs the last 2 years, he guaranteed it, and he followed through. 2)Bob is also a Stanley Cup Champion,not only as a player, but also as a GM. 3)Not to make excuses for him, but he lost his wife and his daughter,and is raising his kids by himself,and at the same time, he IS doing his job. Have a little respect for a man who was part of a few stanley cups on our team and also a great hall of famer.To make comments like you did about a guy like Bob,shows utter disrespect for a man who has poured his heart out for this team, and he is doing the best he can to bring the habs back to the glory days. It takes time to build. And for some of the other comments,remember, coaches and gm’s dont play, its up to the players to dig deep down and change this thing around, yeah,we could bring in all kinds of big superstars like the rangers or tampa,but look at where they are? Are they guaranteed a playoff spot? Give your heads a shake.Patience people, PATIENCE. And Dog, have another 12 pack and rant when you have an idea of what it takes to build a team you idiot.

32. Once again, please explane to me how this is the fault of disgruntled fans of the Habs for all this,cause honestly, that is the stupidest ,most scape goat- theory I’ve heard in a long time! lol,in fact that derserves to go in a scape- goat hall o fame display,with other mind numbing statements like:It was the Jews that took down the twin towers, or Detroit puts out the worlds best cars or there is no global warming, etc. Please,please,please, SHUT UP. Fans OF THE MONTREAL CANADIENS ARE WORLD RENOWN AS THE BEST, MOST PASSIONATE,HOCKEY SMARTEST,DEDICATED FANS IN PRO SPORTS.So if you come to the Montreal Canadiens to manage or play, you best be bringing your A GAME, CAUSE THAT IS WHAT IS EXPECTED, IF NOT ,YOUR FIRED. What’s so new about that,doesn’t it apply to everone?

33. #33 Habz4EveR says:
    February 12, 2007 at 2:23 am

guys, lets just face it. We can’t get a good team, no matter how hard we try. Why? Heres a few reasons:

Since the expansion of NHL teams, there are too little really good players and too many teams, so when it comes to going to… say, Tampa Bay wheres its hot and sunny all year round where nobody criticizes you ever time you underperform or going to cold, heavily taxed salary montreal – Where its cold and ppl out of montreal talk pretty much only french AND the media is always on your back – Where do you think all the Lecavaliers prefer playing? Haven’t you all seen the Brodeur interview (on RDS) where he clearly states that he doesn’t want to come to montreal because of the unneeded pressure from the fans and media?

Also don’t forget that the glory days when Montreal had dibs on Quebec-born players is over. So we can’t take all them Brières or St-Louis’ when we want to.

And don’t forget that Bettman has done pretty much everything he can against Canadian teams. His goal is to promote hockey in the USA, so don’t you find it suspiscious that since he has been Commissioner in 1993, montreal is the last canadian team to win a cup, also in 1993?

Too many factors are against montreal. We will never again be the powerhouses we used to be. Our only chance at a cup will be as underdogs like the Oilers were last year. WE have been promised a cup for our 100 years anniversary. I say the only chances we have of getting it is if Gainey manages to convince all 29 other teams to let us win it to make us happy.

OUR LONGEST CUP WINNING DRAUGHT is now. And the end doesn’t seem to be near. We can blame the team or coaching or GM as much as we want. It won’t get us anywhere but its always fun to point fingers, isn’t it?

34. Habz4EveR, With all do respect if that’s the case, then maybe it’s time to shut her down ,put her in the History books; and start something new.It wouldn’t be the first time for that,so since it’s so fuckin pointless , mite as well , rite? I AM NOW CURIOUS AS TO WHAT THE OTHER FANS OF THE BEST HOCKEY TEAM EVER HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT?

35. #35 Habz4EveR says:
    February 12, 2007 at 2:56 am

look man, ive got great respect for our team. Our team history is the best in the sports world. But thats it. History only. I don’t see any futur, not any time soon anyways. I love this team and I’ll still be with them no matter what happens. But I support them the way parents support kids that have trouble with their schoolwork or whatever. Even though they won’t get the best grades in the class, atleast they can get decent ones. All i want is to see them in the playoffs, what happens next will be up to the team. If they have caracter and depth, then maybe even without the big talents they have a chance. But like I said, don’t have your expectations too high.

Ask anyone other then habs fans, they will all agree that montreal isn’t what it used to be and never will be. And they don’t say it out of jealousy

36. #36 joshtm says:
    February 12, 2007 at 3:13 am

What is pitiful is the only reported trade prospect on the entire Habs organization is Samsonov. Yet TSN reports Gainey is looking at trying to get Nagy or Aucoin. Sending Samsonov down to the dogs will free up cap room but handicap Gainey for next year. The odds are no trades will occur this year or the next. Instead the Habs will be forced to resign the other underachievers on the team. It is too bad the flyers don’t want any of our deadbeats, but they do want and are looking at the west where the prospects for last place finishes and solid first round drafts could pay off.

Unless Gainey gives away all of our talented rookie pool for Forsberg.

At least if anything all this controversy has attracted the diehard habs fans.

But it is still sad that we are still blaming fans for the actions of Gainey and Gauthier. Or saying because Gainey got the habs into the playoffs two years in a row, hey, you have to win the race, it is not good enough to get to the start line, which if the habs play the same way they have been doing in the slump, the habs will get to the starting line yet one more year only to be shot down in four games in the first round….

I think once Gillett has recovered from his hangover of acquiring the Liverpool team, and once again has to watch the stanley cup playoffs not as an owner but as a bystander, he’ll ask some difficult questios in the summer. Why did we not get Forsberg, why did we keep Rivet, Ninnima, Streit and Abby or Dandy or Boullion when teams who are struggling would gladly take any of them, or the rookies even. Or ask why did we even get Johnson, and why are we not paying Plekanec his due?

At this rate our hot rookies will have learnt to play as underachievers under Koivu and Kovalev and pick up their nasty hooking penalty habits. All Montreal has to do is not get penalties and they could probably win a few games.

Finally I want to say sorry to the anyone who may be offended by this. Please don’t do the dirty thing of posting replies under my name, you know who you are.

One more thing, other teams manage to find talent without paying through the nose, all Gainey has to do is stop wasting money on the likes of Samsonov and Ninnima and resigning has beens like Rivet with horrible expensive contracts…

37. Well, all I can say to that is ,who ever you may be ,if your not a Habs fan and you think they are not the team they used to be then, HOPE U GET SCREWED,..RED AND BLUED,.. AND C .H. TATOOED.

38. #38 Habz4EveR says:
    February 12, 2007 at 3:18 am

i am a habs fan but i dont think they are what they used to be… even Guy Lafleur and Jean Beliveau say so. U can call what i say shit. But u can’t dis what they say

39. Nobody’s calling what you say is shit Habz4EveR,BUT WHAT IT DOES MEAN IS IF YOU WANT TO BE A PART OF THE HABS ORGANIZATION YOU BETTER HAVE THE RITE STUFF, PERIOD.I mean ,look at the Pens, THEY DON’T EVEN HAVE A HOME,DUDE,and look what there doing. So a good start would be ,no more excuses.

40. #40 Habz4EveR says:
    February 12, 2007 at 3:52 am

haha your right. lets use the pens example. You know how they got where they are? becuz they sucked for like 10 years. U want us to do that too? be crap and get 1rst round pickers? then fine. It’s not the worst of ideas. It takes time but hey, atleast we get a huge team at the end of it…

41. One more thing before I hit the hay,in the Blog”Time for change”, fans from the habs blog were visited by a Sens goon by the minion T H M. post83. PLEASE KEEP YOUR EYE’S OPEN FOR THE INSULTING PRICK and put it in it’s place. I vote for joshtm to take care of him.

42. #42 smiler2729 says:
    February 12, 2007 at 4:23 am

Who’s Foppa?

43. Will Forsberg win us the stanley Cup? Well no but anyone who says they dont want him here are crazy. HE will help out the team in many ways and finally give us a legitimate first center. Is Koivu still playing? I honestly have not seen him on the ice. I see this number 11 floating around and taking lazy hooking penalties and no backchecking but that couldn’t be him, right? Get FOrsberg if the deal is right, if not Nagy and DOan should be next on the list.

44. #44 Dodger says:
    February 12, 2007 at 8:52 am

The bottom line is this…WHO on the current roster is any better than a healthy Forsberg?? Give up a Perozogin and a draft pick..give up SOMETHING to get something better than the usual Todd Simpson pickups
    Dodger

45. #45 stevejur says:
    February 12, 2007 at 9:27 am

Ok guys. Next game I will show up as a real habs fan. I already spent 3 hours making white and red pompoms and have perfected a sing and dance pattern. Watch out for me now! Ill be the one cheering and singing, zigzagging my pompoms with both arms like there´s no tomorrow.

46. #46 I am Canadien says:
    February 12, 2007 at 9:58 am

Okay; bear with me for a moment:

My neighbour (who is a big habs fan like myself); his son was a Physical Therapist for the Toronto Rock a few years back and knew many of the professional in his industry (including an ex-hab Physical Therapist). Anyway; my neighbours son was talking with the xhab therapist and…

…this fella indicated that the Norwalk virus had struck the Team. Remember way back when there was a mass cleansing of their dressing room. They just don’t do that for the 24 bug. Apparently; most of the Team has been infected with this virus. Some worse than others.

…I know a few people who have had the “real” flu. I kicks the living hell out of you. Meaning it takes weeks and even up to 2 months to recover. And this is for us folk who don’t travel and live out of hotels and burn large energy attempting to play pro hockey. Imagine not having your own bed during this!!
    Remember all of those “scratches” from games and practices. Apparently it is an attempt to give rest where needed.

Not looking for excuses but geez man. Knowing this kinda changes my tune on this team.

But the timing really sucks though!

47. Nothing! Montreal needs to get younger blood than Forsberg. His ankles just can’t take much and he is injury prone.

48. He won’t bring a cup to Montreal but he’ll definitely help the team make the playoffs (which is looking more in danger with every passing game).

49. Anyone remember when Forsberg’s jackass dad started saying stuff like ‘Gretzky was great but he should get out of the way, players like my son are the future’? Yep, A-1 top-shelf classy stuff.

What goes around, comes around..

Future Forsberg is done. He should retire and give all that stolen money back to the Flyers. He’s done zip for them. If anyone disagrees, look at the standings. The Flyers stink. Forsberg plays for the Flyers. I know he’s injured, but when isn’t he? The Flyers made a huge mistake signing him, they know it, and now they’re trying to get anything they can for him before he leaves hockey this spring. Don’t fall for this Gainey. Deal with your blueline issues ASAP before chasing this fraud. He was great about 5-6 years ago, but he should get out of the way RIGHT NOW, players like Crosby are the future.

50. Too much speculation and “what-if” going on here. Really, what your team needs is for you to bring in someone who has some sort of fluid skill; an ability to move and good on the feet. BUT what is MOST important at this point in time, is to bring in someone who will contribute to the chemistry of the team which appears to be lacking of late. Someone who has very similar characteristics to the current roster and also someone who will be readily accepted and understood by the fans. I’ve compiled a list. I think it should be
    one of these.