Playoff Bound

• …for the moment.

The Canadiens played their best period of the season last night against the Rangers scoring 5 unanswered goals in less than 12 minutes.

Unfortunately, they weren’t that consistent for the whole 60 minutes forcing them to come from behind 2-0 and then stifle a 3rd period Ranger onslaught.

Alex Kovalev…what can you say about him that hasn’t been said? Love him or hate him, this is the time of year that he shines and he is certainly doing so lately for the Habs.

Kovalev thrives on pressure, he doesn’t even wake up until St-Patrick’s day has come and gone. Kovalev has never lost a Game 7 in his career, and with every game these days being like a seventh game – he’s been leading the way.

When a player with his talent cares and is involved in the game, he is a lot for opponents to deal with and a huge asset down the final stretch.

Jaroslav Halak is getting the job done. The 4 goals he allowed yesterday are deceiving, he made crucial saves time and time again and kept the Rangers from running away with it early as well as climbing back in it late. Finally the Canadiens get consistent in nets and 5 consecutive wins follow.

Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Higgins. This dynamic line continues to do damage and looks better each game. Tomas Plekanec is playing with confidence that he lacked in the first half of the season and is proving to be a quality hockey player. Ribeiro who…?

Maxim Lapierre, the official Sean Avery or Darcy Tucker of the Canadiens. He is a pest and he is very effective in that role. He seems to relish in it and enjoys disturbing anyone he can.

In addition to my excellent blogging skills, I’m quite proficient at reading lips and Maxim Lapierre had an exchange at the face off dot that went something like this:

Lapierre to Avery: “What’s your name? …..Oh? I never heard of you….”

It seemed to get under his skin as Avery would soon after prove his toughness by trying to fight Andrei Markov.

Lapierre gets props for going after everyone and anyone and calling out tough guys in his broken English. The type of guy everyone on the other team wants to pound and will sometimes take penalties in doing so.

The Habs finally got a bit of luck and gained 2 points on every team in the race except the Leafs who kept pace with a win of their own.

Next up the Senators and Sabres who are never easy. Considering they are back to back games Cristobal Huet might get a start.

1. #1 The Truth says:
    March 28, 2007 at 11:53 am

There are still a lot of tough games coming up! Let’s keep focus!

Oh and where are the Kovalev and Koivu bashers now?

2. #2 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 12:03 pm

No more unneeded bashing. Except for the D-men. They gave NY. 4 goals last night and goals every other night.

BUT……….

Lets pull together and make the playoffs.

If there is any bashing to do, lets bash the other teams.

3. Well,I slept with a smile last nite ,but looking at fri and sat all I can say is the Sens and Sabers…fu@k-me ! So ,I’LL MAKE YOU ALL THIS PREDICTION ,if we beat those two powerhouses not only do we make the playoffs,but we GO TO THE FINALS !!!!In life I have found that by turning the tables ,ie. if some-one’s going to try and use intimidation tactics ,I’ll put them in back their places! So as to the Sens ,coach Murray and the cheep shot artist Cris Neil,the Habs must step on there heads ,take them out in the boards and skate circles round them.And stick up for each other big time !!! It’s going to be hard but keep the penalties down as well.And Hab bloggers are all so instore for a visit from that blogging bitch from Ottawa,THM.So wear gloves when replying to her, cause she will give you stinky fingers,and God knows what else.lol

4. #4 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 12:35 pm

Well I am a “STINKY-DAWG” now. So a stinky finger would not make much of a differnce..LOL..

5. #5 Higgy21 says:
    March 28, 2007 at 12:55 pm

KOV – A – LEV !!!

6. #6 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 1:30 pm

NICE ARTICLE. this guy cracks me up…………

If you don’t get the playoffs, you at least have this: A month-long race to the wire. A half-dozen teams involved in a knockdown battle for the final two or even three playoff spots in the Eastern Conference, clubs bouncing up and down in the standings like Tigger on greenies.

And the team upon whose fortunes the mood of this city shifts like the tide, that team came back not once but twice in one week with five goals for improbable victories, including last night’s 6-4 spanking of the New York Rangers. That’s what Glen Sather gets for not making it to town in time to take Red Fisher to dinner.

Playoffs? How do you top this? Pass me the heart pills, Ethel.

One period in, the Canadiens are down two and gasping for air like a beached trout. Then, in less time than it takes to say playoff race, Alex Kovalev and Steve Begin score and a 2-0 deficit is 2-2 and the noise in the Bell Centre is otherworldly, like the big barn is going to levitate, fly a dozen blocks and set down atop the old Forum.

Hello, ghosts. How ya been?

The Rangers went up in the first place because the Canadiens were short two men. Michael Nylander scored and it was 1-0. No problem. But then Paul Mara got one with 45 seconds left in the first period and it looked like the Canadiens were destined for some early April tee times.

Not this bunch. They might have hibernated from Christmas to early March, but Guy Carbonneau’s team has woken up with a vengeance: Five straight wins, seven straight at home, seven of their last eight overall. When the smoke cleared last night, the Canadiens were sitting in eighth place in the Eastern Conference, one point behind the sixth-place Rangers.

And rookie coach Guy Carbonneau is looking as cool as the Chicoutimi Cucumber.

“That 5-on-3 kind of took us out of the game,” Carbonneau said, “put us behind the eight-ball. But we regrouped after the first period. They like to control the puck, but it makes it harder when we’re not moving our feet. In the second period, we decided to go after them a little bit more and it worked.

“It’s a big challenge. The mountain was very high after the first period. It was high before the game, but after the first period, it was really high.”

So what had Carbonneau said to turn the Drummondville Doohickies of the first period into the Mighty Habs of the second?

“The only thing I said was what I saw. We were not moving our feet and looking at what they were doing. Sometimes you try to prepare a game plan, but sometimes you have to play on instinct and emotion, and tonight was one of those nights. You can’t teach that, you have to do it. I said: ‘let’s go out and play like you can play,’ and they did it.”

For reasons best known to the broadcast types who do the choosing, Kovalev did not get one of the game’s three stars last night. Jaroslav Halak did despite the four goals he allowed, as did Andrei Markov, and Saku Koivu. In Koivu’s case, four assists will do that.

They don’t let columnists anywhere near les trois etoiles. If they did, the honour would have gone to Kovalev, who can take over a game the way Paris Hilton takes over a party.

7. #7 nigelski says:
    March 28, 2007 at 1:31 pm

As a Kovalev basher, and proud of it, I’m here. 4 goals in two games is nice, true. There is no questioning Kovalev’s skills, only his drive. He has looked like he has been trying since he returned from his bout of vertigo, only he wasn’t getting results until recently. If he made this kind of effort season-long, maybe I wouldn’t bash quite so much. He’s working now, which is good, but when next season starts, he’ll no doubt go back to his self-indulgent and lazy playing style. So enjoy the effort while you can, because it won’t last forever…

8. #8 HAB-DAB-A-DO says:
    March 28, 2007 at 1:31 pm

Anyone see Kovalev’s interview on MSG last nite between the 2nd and 3rd periods? He regreted his slow start to the season and looked and sounded like a team player to me

9. #9 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 28, 2007 at 1:54 pm

The team needs to keep playing one game… one period… one shift… one rush… at a time! I am proud of the turn-around HABS we able to achieve!

Beating a good team at home can be construed as a ‘fluke’ or ‘stroke of luck’… Beating playoff contenders in back to back games is an Act of power, Focus, and determination!

We need this Win against the Sens to prove again our readiness for the playoffs. On many levels this game could establish the Habs as a true Contender.

Thursday’s OBSTICALES:
    ~ 2 Road Wins in 2007 over current Playoff bound teams and only 1 in the Eastern Conference.
    ~ Habs haven’t won more than 5 in a row since the Playoff run 2006.
    ~ Last 2 Games vs Sens were Losses
    ~ Senators last game was a loss to Boston @ Home (and the Senators have not lost Back to Back home games since December)
    ~ Montreal has not won a Friday Night game since November and are (1-5-0) for the season.

With that said,

OUR ADVANTAGE:
    “We are the “F@#@-N” Habs and nobody is feared more right now than a Hab fighting for a playoff berth!â€?

Great teams are not considered GREAT until they beat other Great teams.

GO HABS GO

10. #10 Joseph says:
    March 28, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Oh, my.

‘advance reading’? Didn’t you mean to write ‘advanced reading’? Or perhaps you didn’t mean anything at all.

What is it with the internet being a showcase for insecurities far more than being a medium anything useful… ?

Far more importantly, I’ll be thrilled to eat my words if the Habs place in the top eight after their second half season meltdown. I never would hae expected this late season surge from this team, but I guess I should know better than to role hockey’s most storied franchise out of any season’s playoffs.

Nice job, Halak. You’ve instilled confidence in the team in front of you, and as a result, they’ve manged to win five in a row, and six of their last seven. Not bad.

Kovalev’s late season play is no surprise at all. I’ve always supported him, despite his inconsistency – he always shows up when it matters the most.

Guy is a good young coach. Shame on anyone who was quick to send him to the gallows.

And shame on me for stating that the Habs’ season was finished two weeks ago.

11. Well,do that not remind you of that Elton John song,” The bitch is back!” I’m not sure if THM is female or male or genderless”mostlikely”lol,but no difference ,cause a BITCH is a BITCH,eh !!!

12. #12 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 2:05 pm

Hey THM !!!

Yes, we will see you soon. Friday I do believe.

Tell your Goalie to get ready to be pulled out of the net. We do have that effect on Goaltenders as of late. Your Goalie is just a slasher.

All I can say is “BRING IT”.

There is one thing that you people have that we don’t is PM. Harper & you can keep him..

13. Hab fans,here’s a tip when replying to THM, ALWAYS LEAVE THE CAP LOCK ON,DRIVE’S IT CRAZY,HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ……

14. #14 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 2:16 pm

coutNY_HabsFan:

You said “Senators have not lost Back to Back home games since December
    & Montreal has not won a Friday Night game since November and are (1-5-0) for the season”.

THAT WILL ALL CHANGE ON FRIDAY MY FRIEND.

WE ARE THE ALMIGHTY HABS OF MONTREAL. WE WILL NOT GO DOWN WITH OUT A FIGHT. WE WILL NOT BE DENIED……….

15. #15 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 2:27 pm

THM.

SO THAT IS YOUR EXCUSE – pick-up hockey- WHEN WE KICK YOUR ASS FRIDAY. IT SEEMS THAT YOU ARE IN PICK UP HOCKEY MODE IN THE PLAYOFFS CAUSE EVERY FREAKIN YEAR YOU CHOKE…SOME ONE CALL A DOCTOR THEY ARE CHOKING AGAIN

16. #16 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 2:42 pm

So THM. What’s your point? Oh I get it. You are a stinky He-she that smells like fish.

17. THM

Mais Oui. The Habs are a hockey team that is good no? They have 2 goalies side by 2 and yet are in 8th place.

;-) I came here to see if you needed a hand, but I think you are doing just fine.

18. #18 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 2:46 pm

THM I see that your side kick, PAV is here. The fearless dual “Dumb & Dumber”.

19. CANADIENS-DAWG …. err are you in grade 3 or something? You act and type like it. Try to act like you don’t have a 3rd grade education eh?

20. CANADIENS-DAWG – you are why most people think that Montreal fans are idiots. You are proving the point here. So please, keep it up.

21. #21 GeeIWonder says:
    March 28, 2007 at 2:52 pm

Try to act like you don’t have a 3rd grade education eh?

Actually, he kind of is.

Zee English, yours good is, no?

22. #22 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 2:53 pm

THM, fish is good. It is brain food. That is why all of us Hab Fans are very smart.

Sure I will have a some fish, only if you Douche though.

23. #23 PasV says:
    March 28, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Gee
    Mais Oui Tabernac, the english that I parlez is very complex no?

24. #24 DC In YOW says:
    March 28, 2007 at 2:59 pm

For those of you who are making the roadie Fri night, are you blowing another week’s worth of welfare on hiring a stripper to act as your girlfriend?

25. #25 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Three on one eh. I like that. I can kick all three of your scanky asses at once. Anymore of you Sen. fans want an ass kickin?

26. #26 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:04 pm

It won’t cost much. I heard that your momma comes pretty cheap………

27. #27 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:05 pm

It won’t cost much DC In YOW. I heard that your momma comes pretty cheap………

28. #28 Conrad says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Oh man, Gee is here, DC in YOW, THM, Pav…the BoO takes over Habslog. It’s like when I was in high school and we’d cross the bridge into Hull and go to skeezy bars because they served underage people.

29. It won’t cost much. I heard that your momma comes pretty cheap………

*clap … clap*

nice come back – and an ass kicking from a Habs fan – there is a oxymoron right there. Do you come armed with a Pepsi and a poutine?

30. #30 GeeIWonder says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Allo? Zee post, she does not work! Au secours!?!

Oh merde, now zhere are two. I have posted my ‘momma’ blague twice. And it wasn’t even funny zee first time.

Someone will ask if zhere ease an echo ian hear. My killer blague, she will not be herd. Zut alors. I feel like a tete-a-claques.

31. #31 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:11 pm

Who in the blue hell let The Trailer Trash Ottawa Scank Groupies in here?

No problemo. Nothing a Habs Fan can’t handle.

32. #32 DC In YOW says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:13 pm

Habs Fan are USEDto handling THEMSELVES!!!!1™

33. Who in the blue hell let The Trailer Trash Ottawa Scank Groupies in here

34. #34 GeeIWonder says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:15 pm

No problemo.

Slow down there buddy. Let’s try and get a handle on two languages (or, come to think of it one) before we tackle three, ok sunshine? Good.

Now go suck on a phallus– er, I mean Pogo.

35. #35 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:17 pm

Hey DC In YOW, take out your Dentures and Douche that pie hole of yours. I have something for you to handle….

36. #36 Kovalev says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:18 pm

CANADIENS-DAWG – Can I? I also take it in other places too. I work welll under pressure.

37. #37 Frank says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Something little I would assume.

38. #38 Huet says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Something very very tiny I assume

39. #39 Jaroslav Halak says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:19 pm

This feels like a precursor to Friday night. The Habs are getting over run by the sens! Au secours!

40. #40 Sergei Samsonov says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:20 pm

I’d rather be in Edmonton.

41. #41 Sergei Samsonov says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:22 pm

I only stay in Montreal cause I hear the girls are easy.

42. #42 DC In YOW says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:23 pm

Why does a DAWG lick himself? BECAUSE HE CAN!!!!1™

Do you NEED to be Rolled in in Flour to FIND the wet spot DAWG?

43. #43 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:23 pm

Where in the hell is my back up ????? That’s Ok. I can handle these Montreal Canadien want-a-be’s

44. #44 Radek Bonk says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:25 pm

Your back-up? They are in some church somewhere praying to some god for some sort of a miracle on Friday. :)

45. #45 Sheldon Souray says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:27 pm

Montreal fans in abandoning team in times of trouble shocker! Who knew that Habs’ fans abandoned their team when the going got tough? Actually, everyone. Don’t break your ankles jumping off the bandwagon when we lose to the sens and sabres.

46. #46 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:29 pm

Come back Fiday night around 9:00 pm. When the Habs are kickin your Candy Asses all over the Scotiabank Place…………….. Oh. Don’t forget your cryin towels………..

47. #47 Sheldon Souray says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:37 pm

We already have ours ready though right? 14 years of this crap so we must be prepared to fail right? Where do I get my towel?

Screw it, when I am making $5M because I have a hard shot I’ll buy a store of crying towels and sell them to the fans that think I can play defence.

48. #48 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Why don’t you Ottawa Pansies team up with the Leaf Sissies. Maybe you will make up enough morons to compete against a team of Montreal’s calibre….

49. #49 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:42 pm

See, I told you that these Ottawa pussies are no match for a Hab’s Fan.

When they seen that I was winning this verbal battle, they all scattered like the Dirty Rats that they are….

50. #50 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:47 pm

I won the battle today.

The Hab’s will win the war Friday………GO HABS GO………