Playoff Bound

• …for the moment.

The Canadiens played their best period of the season last night against the Rangers scoring 5 unanswered goals in less than 12 minutes.

Unfortunately, they weren’t that consistent for the whole 60 minutes forcing them to come from behind 2-0 and then stifle a 3rd period Ranger onslaught.

Alex Kovalev…what can you say about him that hasn’t been said? Love him or hate him, this is the time of year that he shines and he is certainly doing so lately for the Habs.

Kovalev thrives on pressure, he doesn’t even wake up until St-Patrick’s day has come and gone. Kovalev has never lost a Game 7 in his career, and with every game these days being like a seventh game – he’s been leading the way.

When a player with his talent cares and is involved in the game, he is a lot for opponents to deal with and a huge asset down the final stretch.

Jaroslav Halak is getting the job done. The 4 goals he allowed yesterday are deceiving, he made crucial saves time and time again and kept the Rangers from running away with it early as well as climbing back in it late. Finally the Canadiens get consistent in nets and 5 consecutive wins follow.

Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Higgins. This dynamic line continues to do damage and looks better each game. Tomas Plekanec is playing with confidence that he lacked in the first half of the season and is proving to be a quality hockey player. Ribeiro who…?

Maxim Lapierre, the official Sean Avery or Darcy Tucker of the Canadiens. He is a pest and he is very effective in that role. He seems to relish in it and enjoys disturbing anyone he can.

In addition to my excellent blogging skills, I’m quite proficient at reading lips and Maxim Lapierre had an exchange at the face off dot that went something like this:

Lapierre to Avery: “What’s your name? …..Oh? I never heard of you….”

It seemed to get under his skin as Avery would soon after prove his toughness by trying to fight Andrei Markov.

Lapierre gets props for going after everyone and anyone and calling out tough guys in his broken English. The type of guy everyone on the other team wants to pound and will sometimes take penalties in doing so.

The Habs finally got a bit of luck and gained 2 points on every team in the race except the Leafs who kept pace with a win of their own.

Next up the Senators and Sabres who are never easy. Considering they are back to back games Cristobal Huet might get a start.

1. #1 DC In YOW says:
    March 28, 2007 at 3:51 pm

DAWG, we are Waiting for the NHL team to ARRIVE!!!!1™ You can go back to watching La Fureur .

2. #2 Saku Koivu says:
    March 28, 2007 at 4:58 pm

Sorry DAWG. It’s not a win when the other team buries you under comments and leaves because you aren’t replying. It’s the opposite actually.

P.s. I know you were one of the ones criticizing me. How did you like the four assists? Eat it punk.

3. #3 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 5:17 pm

What do you mean? They stoped replying to me. They could give it but they could not take it.

Who ever you are, grow up dude. Using Habs players as nick names. Really.

4. Sorry Dawg, had to do a estimate. So, lets not forget one thing about idiot Sens fans,they have no idea of what it feels like to win anything with the word Stanley in it.They are soooooo jealous ,it drive’s them crazy,poor fools,all they are is a bunch of corporate welfare bureaucrats and thiefs. Their only profession is lying ,cheating and stealing ,then believing in their own bull-shit. So feel embarrassed for them, cause after friday night they will go back under the rock that boar them the stinky losers they are.lol

5. #5 R habs 4 real says:
    March 28, 2007 at 6:16 pm

I bet Ottawa fans are angry with management for not getting Gary Roberts at trade deadline. He would have sealed the deal for them. They have NO TOUGHNESS, and that’s why they NEVER advance!Poor fans, always a bridesmaid, and never a bride! Well, don’t worry Ottawa fans. When we win the cup in 2009, we’ll let you take a gander at it! Guess your management just doesn’t want to win that cup! Well, at least your close, in distance to Montreal, the home of 24 stanley cups!

6. #6 nigelski says:
    March 28, 2007 at 7:07 pm

Sad to see a bunch of non hab fans here. They should go away. Seems the senator fans plan a parade every season, only to find a road block at the parade starting point. This road block is also known as any team in the east. So go to a sens fan site, if there is such a thing, and whine some more about Muckler. Cry about the idea of playing Pittsburgh in the first round. Cringe at the thought of maybe having to play Toronto. And pray hard, cause we’re going to whup you punks this weekend. See ya!

Love the way Halak is playing now. Huet should be back soon, and if he returns to early season form, we’re laughing. Go habs!

7. #7 R habs 4 real says:
    March 28, 2007 at 7:20 pm

I read on “HABS INSIDER” that Huet will in fact be the backup on the weekend, and start on Saturday against the sabres. But I wonder if his playing, is contingent on how Halak does vs Ottawa. But he is NOW READY TO PLAY!

8. hey nigelski

At least we can cry about playing in the playoffs.

9. I think it’s a mistake to press Huet into action. Halak is on fire at the moment and I see no need to “rest” him. Carbo can do that if he’s actually tired. The last thing we need is for Huet to re-injure himself and be out for the playoffs (if the Habs make it we need him healthy) or to ruin his career (I think the team is much stronger next year).
    Make no mistake, Abby’s sadly awful, so we can’t count on him, but we gotta ride the winning horse and that’s Halak — Huet or no Huet.
    MAXIMUM: Huet can be the back-up, but, Guy, don’t start him if you don’t need to.

10. Huet who ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

11. #11 OncEaHaB says:
    March 28, 2007 at 9:18 pm

I absolutely agree Jack… you have to stick with Halak. He’s hot, let him shine. Besides, if Huet is ready, giving him more of a rest won’t hurt him. Even if we forget how he was playing before he was injured, he could come out rusty. Best to stick with Halak. If Halak falters or has a bad game (or doesn’t get any help from the team) then Huet can come in and show he’s ready. IF IT AIN’T BROKE, DON’T FIX IT!

GO HABS GO!

12. #12 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 9:52 pm

I’m quite proud of myself. I was out numbered about 4 or 5 to one. Those Ottawa Jokers were all around me like a pack of wolves stalking a deer.
    This Ole Dawg stood his ground and did not back down. What ever they gave me I gave twice as much back to them. Those Bastards ran away with thier tails between thier legs.

Why in the hell did I get no help from my fellow Hab Fans? You guys left me to get eaten by those Ottawa wolves Bastards………

13. #13 OncEaHaB says:
    March 28, 2007 at 9:59 pm

Sorry dude, I was at work… Gotta pay the bills…

Oh, and if the Sens fans come back, just direct them to some remedial reading…. Note that the Sens record against the leafs is four series lost and none won… wow, these guys are real troopers…

Enjoy!

14. I got there when I could DAWG,hope you still got all your digits ? Plus you know what happens when a DAWG runs with wolves….puppies.lol

15. #15 OncEaHaB says:
    March 28, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Besides DAWG… it normally only takes one Habs fan to take care of a whole team of Senators…

More help from Carolina… Philly Destroyed them 5-1… Maybe the Canes are into S&M… first they let the leafs spank them, then the Flyers… must be!

GO HABS GO!

16. #16 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 10:24 pm

If one Hab can kick 5 Ottawa jokers asses, imagine what a whole team of will do to them..LOL

Yes, we got some help again tonite. It seems like those bottom feeders

17. #17 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 10:27 pm

Yes, we got some help again tonite. Thank you Flyers. It seems like those bottom feeders really screw it up for the teams fighting for a playoff birth eh.

March 28, 2007 at 10:28 pm

And Atlanta only got one point in there SO loss …. man things are starting to shape up just right, Our man #27 with another 2 goals … gotta love the way this season is so close..

19. #19 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 28, 2007 at 10:28 pm

If one Hab can kick 5 Ottawa jokers asses, imagine what a whole team of Habs will do to them..LOL

20. #20 Joseph says:
    March 28, 2007 at 11:10 pm

I thought the Canes would fade – they haven’t been a very good team all year, and were likely playing over their heads a bit recently to get into the top eight.

Regardless of what other teams are doing, or failing to do, the Habs have to take matters into their own hands. They have now put themselves in a position where their fate is entirely in their own hands. Just win at least three of the five remaining games. I think that’ll do it.

21. #21 Joseph says:
    March 28, 2007 at 11:13 pm

Also, the Leafs are quite obviously on a mission. If Tampa continues to faulter, perhaps they’ll both (Habs and Leafs) be in at season’s end.

22. #22 OncEaHaB says:
    March 28, 2007 at 11:19 pm

I agree, we have to keep winning if we want to make the playoffs. I think we’ll need more than three wins though. The race is so tight that points may be tied and it could come down to who has more wins for the season, and even who won their series’ this year…

I hope the Laffs don’t make the playoffs… If they do, I’d love to see the Habs shatter their dreams in the conference final though, a la ’93… That would be sweet!

GO HABS GO!

23. #23 Joseph says:
    March 28, 2007 at 11:27 pm

The nice thing is that the Habs have more wins than the Leafs, Canes and Islanders do. And that’s the first tie breaker.

As an aside, this overtime loss point bs better be revisited in the off season. What a load of rubbish it is. It’s just wrong that a team with more WINS would be struggling to overtake several teams with less wins (and more overtime LOSSES) just to make the postseason.

24. #24 Joseph says:
    March 28, 2007 at 11:29 pm

P.S. The only time I cheered for the Leafs in my lifetime was during their last game against Carolina. Well done!

They can lose all they like now. ;-)

25. #25 OncEaHaB says:
    March 29, 2007 at 1:25 am

That’s fine with me too! Here’s too a Leafs loosing streak that doesn’t end til next season!!! I totally agree about the LOSER POINT. It is absurd. why in the world should you be rewarded for losing. 2 pts for a W in regulation or OT and 1 pt for a W in the shoot out. If there was no loser point, we’d be in 7th, behind Tampa. All the other teams in the race have less wins than the Habs.

They won’t change it though. To the league, its created an exciting race for the last playoff spots. Its keeping people watching. But it should go!

26. #26 R habs 4 real says:
    March 29, 2007 at 1:25 am

there’s no way NYI will make the playoffs. their goaltending without Dipietro, is horrible. TB has bad goaltending too, so I don’t like their chances either.
    I think NYR, habs, and leafs are going to get 6th, 7th, and 8th respectively.
    I think NYR will finish in 6th, we’ll take 7th, and leafs 8th.
    If we win both games on the weekend, we’re on our way. I don’t see TB or Carolina winning more than 3 of their remaining games, and NYI won’t win more than 2 games. So, at least 1 point vs Ottawa, + wins vs Buffalo, Boston, and NYR, should assure us a playoff position. Carolina and TB play twice, and NYR plays both leafs and us.Florida is playing well too, so they are playing the spoiler role; they play Carolina twice, and TB once. Things are looking up for us.If we win all games, 6th place is ours.

27. #27 fan4066 says:
    March 29, 2007 at 7:51 am

Right now Carolina will be lucky to win anymore, real big punch in the stomach from Philly last night. TB has no goaltending to make it.

Like I said before the landscape of the positions are about to change in the final week. We are seeing Jersey bow the the Penguins for the Atlantic top spot,which would puch Jersey to 5th. The Pens have made no bones about wanting the Atlantic title either. Therefore the Habs could possibily end up playing the PEns in the 1st round….that would be some series!! 7 games

28. #28 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 29, 2007 at 8:29 am

The Flyers beat the Canes last night. That was a huge bonus for us. The Canes lost two in a row and had their asses kicked, both games. I think that will eliminate them from the playoffs. Hopefully.

Tonight. Atlanta has to punish and humiliate the Laffs. We cannot afford the Laffs to win tonight.

The Habs record in Friday night games is horrific. They are 0-5-1. Ottawa has lost their last game BUT has not lost back to back games all year at home. SO we have to snap that streak Boys………

GO HABS GO………………

29. #29 fan4066 says:
    March 29, 2007 at 8:37 am

Well, we have to hope for the lesser of 2 evils…Atlanta to beat the Laffs. Thats actually the bigger help of the two at this point anyway

30. #30 higgy21 says:
    March 29, 2007 at 9:01 am

Top 3 overated teams in the NHL:

1) Tampa Bay Lightning
    2) Toronto Maple Leafs
    3) Calgary Flames

31. #31 fan4066 says:
    March 29, 2007 at 9:09 am

32. #32 Joshtm says:
    March 29, 2007 at 9:41 am

Something that Huet didn’t have was Gorges, he played well under the rookies early in the year. Having Chippy and Grabby, made Huet shine. Unfortunately he is injury prone now, a muscle tear like that, means you are toast, not to crap on Huet, but he is now damaged goods. Look at Orr, I mean tearing a muscle from the bone…even with modern medicine, that is a death knell for any athlete regardless of which sport….

I can’t see why Carbo would play him during a playoff run, honestly, especially when Huet was hot, that is what did Abby in early in the year, Abby lost his confidence when Carbo kept changing the goalies. Its like a vote of no confidence, Carbo might as well stick his middle finger ala Trudeau style!

33. Man ,It’s times like this that I wish one of my personality traits wasn’t being a neurotic .This is dam hard on my nerves Hab fans as I’m sure it’s been for all fans.The Habs are handling it well though,thanks to the never say die and take no prisoners attitude of the rookies.In some way ,it’s comforting to notice that coach Carbo’s line juggling doesn’t hurt the team any more for the fact everybody on the team can now play with whomever in comfort,while opposing coaches are having a hard time with the freestyle system.Thank-you hockey Gods for the rookies,thank-you!Watch for the fights tomorrow, know NEIL is going to instigate and that coach Murray is a real piece of work!

34. #34 Joshtm says:
    March 29, 2007 at 9:55 am

Gainey is not making any moves to protect any of his goalies. Avery almost tore Halak’s head off, the same with Shanahan. Honestly, if Montreal is to stand a chance of keeping their win streak, they need to bench either Dandenault or Bouilly. When the duo is not playing then Montreal protects its goalie, but as soon as they get on the ice, its the same old same old and Montreal breaks into a cycle of playing like they are short handed all throughout the rest of the game. Honestly.

35. #35 Henri Richard says:
    March 29, 2007 at 9:58 am

‘I wouldn’t really over rate the Flames, they just pulled off 3 major wins this past week….Detroit, Nashville and Minnesota. I don’t call that over rated, I call that determination’

And the Leafs just beat the Devils and Sabres (almost twice, thank god for that collapse!). We can’t afford to overrate anyone or else the work rate falls and we’ll get destroyed.

40% of our goals are on the powerplay. we have to play hard and disciplined the rest of the way.

36. #36 Joshtm says:
    March 29, 2007 at 10:03 am

If I were Carbo, I would play Halak to the end. That is what Bowman did with Dryden.

37. #37 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 29, 2007 at 10:08 am

Well boys it has gone from bad to worse for me.

My wife not only kicked me out of our bed BUT out of the house as well now. I am now in the garage. What’s next the “Dawg house”. I crack me up. Thank you I’m here all week…LOL…

My work has moved me to the boiler room. No where else to move me there.

At least the weather is warming up. All I need is to get me a couch, microwave, Tv and run the satalite cable to the garage and I am set for the playoffs right.

GO HABS GO…..

38. #38 Joshtm says:
    March 29, 2007 at 10:15 am

The comment about Carbo switching the line, hey it shows that in spite of working hard, none of the players really complement each other’s style. Its a mix and match. Only the rookies are good at basically knocking the other team outta their groove. If you ask me, Montreal is a team of opportunist, if they were in the animal kingdom, Kovalev, Koivu and Johnson would be vultures instead of tigers or lions!

39. #39 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 29, 2007 at 10:40 am

That’s what makes us a good kingdom… too many lions and tigers would disrupt the ecological system. All the teams ‘Lions and Tigers’ would be spending there time fighting each other for the prey, while other teams ‘vultures’ would be feeding on our scraps to make their meal… LOL

Nature always finds equilibrium!

40. #40 Joshtm says:
    March 29, 2007 at 11:00 am

Its kinda makes you wonder why we pay vultures like Kovalev and Koivu with an entire carcass that belongs to a lion or tiger, come the trade deadline when the tigers and lions are ready to be added, hey we don’t have the cash to buy these predators! Hmmm…..geeze, that makes Gainey and Carbo the king of vultures, that would explain Sammy and Johnson, hey the if the beak fits wear it I always say….HAHAHAAA!!!! and we know Carbo and Gainey got vulture noses!

41. #41 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 29, 2007 at 11:01 am

Hickey expects Halak to start in Ottawa Friday night and Huet to start against Buffalo at the Bell Centre on Saturday. Huet, who tore his hamstring in a Feb. 14 game vs. the Devils in New Jersey, has played five games against the Sabres this season and has three wins and two overtime losses.

There was some talk about this being the time of year when every game is important and Kovalev trying to to help the team make the playoffs. He said he believes that two or three wins in the club’s final six games are all the Canadiens need.

Does this mean that Kovalev will only try to win 2 or 3 more and slack off.

We need to try to winn all remaining games not just 2 or 3.

His comments are scarey

42. #42 smiler2729 says:
    March 29, 2007 at 11:07 am

Why would anyone have a problem with Mike Johnson? Josh??? What’s your beef with Mikey? I’d take him over Zednik any day!
    Also, anybody read how Brendan Shanahan was almost a Hab last summer? He was leaning towards signing with Montreal, had the school and neighborhood picked out when the day he was coming up to sign on the dotted line he ran into Canadian Visa problems and the Rangers came out of nowhere with the sweetest one year deal. Thank our fucking immigration dept.

43. #43 smiler2729 says:
    March 29, 2007 at 11:10 am

MONTREAL (CP) – Brendan Shanahan says he was very close to joining the Montreal Canadiens last summer.

Ready for a change after nine seasons and three Stanley Cups in Detroit, the 38-year-old scoring star was about to sign as an unrestricted free agent with Montreal until a late offer came in from New York Rangers boss Glen Sather.

The Mimico, Ont., native opted to sign for one year with the Rangers.

”We had the neighbourhood and the school, we were ready to go,” he recalled Tuesday at the Bell Centre of his courting by Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey and owner George Gillett.

”I had offers from teams on the West Coast and teams in my old division, but I really focused on Montreal. I really thought it would be Montreal, and then New York got into the picture.”

Shanahan said there is something ”special” about playing for an Original Six team and he was also attracted to the Canadiens by the presence of the respected Gainey, by Gillett’s hospitality and by the presence of old teammates Guy Carbonneau and Kirk Muller on the coaching staff.

Gainey even took Shanahan and his family on a helicopter ride over the city.

But it may have been an omen that when the Shanahans were due to visit, they encountered passport problems at the airport and were unable to get into Canada. Once those problems were fixed, they couldn’t get tickets for the next flight, so they elected to visit New York first and ended up signing with the Rangers.

”I was in a really fortunate position to chose between two great organizations, plus Detroit, and I had to pick one,” he said. ”It was a tough decision.

”I love playing in New York, but I knew the experience of playing in Montreal is fantastic as well. There was nothing ever said bad about Montreal by me to anyone. I just had to make a decision.”

44. #44 Joshtm says:
    March 29, 2007 at 11:29 am

If we only had Shanahan, he would be able to repel someone like Straka, or Antropov. And we didn’t get Laraques either. A helicopter ride over the city is not good enough.

The Shanahans probably can thank the war on terror, the Americans for the passport problems…

But getting back to the discussion of paying vultures a kings ransom, I think it is time Montreal relook at just what it considers good or bad.

45. #45 smiler2729 says:
    March 29, 2007 at 12:12 pm

josh? Dude? Why the complaining now? We’re on a winning streak! With rookies!! Enjoy this shit while it lasts and quit whining about the little things right now? And quit playing with your junk.

46. #46 Joshtm says:
    March 29, 2007 at 1:12 pm

Hey dude, I only want the habs to win a cup again man. Like take a pill or something, go to Florida with your nana is you have to. Get with the program, maybe ask Gainey if he can take you on a chopper ride. Chill.

47. #47 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 29, 2007 at 2:48 pm

Where are all of those Blood Sucking Ottawa Vampire Jokers at?

They were here at this time yesterday.

They got childish, took their ball and ran home to mommy.

They are no match for us Habs.

48. #48 nigelski says:
    March 29, 2007 at 2:51 pm

I don’t understand why Shanny had passport problems. He IS canadian, right? Gotta be the wife and kids I guess. They must be the americans. Probably took one look at all the french only signs and threatened to cut shanny off the nookie. And dawg, I got there as soon as I could…

Sam (post 58), you shouldn’t be so happy about being able to cry during playoffs. Having been around for 8 cups, 6 of which I was old enough to see the way through, I am tearless myself. My cups runneth over…Talk to me when Emery-board morphs into Roy. Because your baby food backup (Gerber) won’t get you there. Maybe if all razor had to do was scrap, you’d be OK, but I wouldn’t put too much faith in a guy who lists Mike Tyson as one of his heroes…

49. #49 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 29, 2007 at 3:00 pm

All is Quiet on the home front.

No sign of intruders.

50. #50 Joshtm says:
    March 29, 2007 at 3:06 pm

This is disconcerting. You just know the Sens are preparing to ambush the habs tonite. And with Carbo benching Gorges, what is next, we play Dandenault all game long? Or hey watch Carbo will start Abby…