Playoff Preview?

• The trade deadline has come and gone and the criticism about the Canadiens lack of activity was harsh.

The bottom line is it has passed and the Canadiens still have 16 games remaining and a playoff birth on the line.

If the playoffs started today, the Habs and Sabres would be squaring off in Buffalo and that just so happens to be exactly what’s on schedule for tonight.

Earlier in the year a Habs and Sabres game was always exciting and entertaining as two of the quickest teams in the East kept a fierce pace for 60 minutes or more.

These days the Sabres have been hit hard by injuries and the Canadiens are playing their best version of Jekyll and Hyde hockey.

If the Canadiens play the way they did against the Leafs, skating, forechecking and finishing every single hit – they look like they can compete with any team in the league.

If they play the way they did in New York, they’d have trouble beating some Pee Wee teams.

Consistency is lacking. Big time.

The Habs usually ‘get up’ for a game against the Sabres and they will have to be ready to play every remaining game if they hope to not squander their season and finish 9th or worst.

1. #1 smiler2729 says:
    March 2, 2007 at 10:49 am

42 R habs 4 real “Name me another defenseman that has scored 20 or more goals, 2 YEARS IN A ROW? Savard didn’t, neither did Robinson or Lapointe, or for that matter Orr.�

Orr??? Are you people hockey fans or morons????
    Bobby Orr scored 20+ goals in a season 7 times in a row including 30+ 4 times and a 46 goal season before injuries took him from us forever! And Guy Lapointe scored 20+ goals in a season 3 times in a row!!!

Why do I even bother with some of you?

ANYWAYS!!!!!!!!

Habs take Buffalo tonight in a tight one and beat Boston tomorrow in another close one… shit, aren’t all Montreal’s games ‘close ones’?

When’s the last time this team had an good ol’ fashioned blow-out in their favour? Okay Monday against Toronto but Abby let them back in the game in the 3rd period.

Who plays goal in these back-to-back games? Does Abby get Buffalo and Jaroslav “the Czech Steve Penney� Halak get Boston? Or vice-versa?

Also, like Rob, I’m looking for Kovalev, Higgins and Ryder to catch fire going into the playoffs! Dark horse is always Sergei Samsonov, hopefully, he also explodes into a force for this stretch run.

Watch, if the Habs do make the post-season, they’ll steal a round unless some asshole goes and sticks his Sher-Wood into someone’s eye again.

2. #2 Jack Tornton says:
    March 2, 2007 at 11:29 am

55 smiler2729
    Posted on March 2nd, 2007 at 10:26 am. About ‘Eastern Playoff Race’.

What about both games by Halak????

3. #3 R habs 4 real says:
    March 2, 2007 at 11:55 am

Are you guys parrots, or what?
    In answer to your repetitive reply, (4 times), remember that Orr was unlike any other defenceman you woud ever see. There will NEVER be another Orr. He was truly magnificant. My point is, his +- ratings, were also EXCELLENT, unlike piss poor SOURAY’s DEFENSIVE STATS! As far as Lapointe is considered, his +- ratings, were EXCELLENT as well! And Souray(with his great shot), didn’t score 20 goals last year. How come? I’m telling you guys, NEXT YEAR HE WILL NOT SCORE 20 GOALS! Just like McCabe couldn’t either. It’s a huge mistake to resign him. How are you going to feel when players again, go around him to score goals that affect the game? He’s too slow, and a MAJOR DEFICIT TO OUR DEFENCE. Anyways that’s only my opinion. But I would take a stay at home defenceman, who will protect you, instead of allowing the opposition to score.
    I bet we find a D man with a good shot. Here’s your choice: a D man who has a great shot, but will take stupid penalties and cause your team to lose, and NEVER PROTECT YOU, or one who has an average shot, but WON’T TAKE STUPID PENALTIES, AND WILL ALWAYS PROTECT YOU?
    Besides, CHARA has a harder shot than Souray, and is a much better defenceman!
    AS far as the games this weekend, I predict the habs will play hard tonight, (considering they didn’t show up on Tuesday), and win the game in OT or a shootout. But we all know they never win the 2nd of back to back games, so I predict they will lose to Boston on Saturday. For some reason, they never have energy in the 2nd of back to back games. Don’t know why. Other teams seem to play well. Guess because Kovalev sets the example, and the rest of the team follows, like sheep. And no, I don’t think Kovalev will turn it on.He’s had 3 years to turn it on,and no improvement. Face it guys, we are a 1 line team, so better hope Higgins and Ryder score in bunches.

4. #4 smiler2729 says:
    March 2, 2007 at 12:04 pm

R Habs 4 Real, I betcha a pint of whatever beer you want Sheldon Souray scores 20+ goals again next season (in Montreal).

Ugh, you know how the Sabres have their uniform numbers on the front of their right shoulder on their jerseys? Next year, ALL TEAMS as per Gary Buttman will be sporting that… so we can be more like the NBA. Somebody stop this guy.

5. #5 R habs 4 real says:
    March 2, 2007 at 12:27 pm

Hey Smiler: I don’t drink beer, but I drink good wine, kind of pricey. But in order for Souray to score all those goals, he first has to still be here, right? After reading other blogs, Ganey is NOT going to give him more than
    5 mil/ season, and that just won’t cut it. Look at their cap. Read “Canadiens trade rumours”, and then you’ll see the financial problems. That’s one of the reasons why I said we should get rid of him. Unfortunately, McCabe killed it ,(or maybe Fergie JR did) for signing him for so much over his value. Sure, Souray will talk with Gainey, but will want more than Gainey can afford. Gainey will probably offer about 4.75/season, and Souray will say, “Thanks, but no thanks”. Remember we still need cap room to go and get a center, and maybe another goal scorer. They’re talking about maybe bringing Zubrus back again. I don’t know about that, but Ryan Smyth would be awesome. But we never get the great players, so I’m not holding my breath. Besides maybe Smyth will resign with NYI. I know 4 players for sure who will leave us: Ninny, Murray, Downey and Aebishit, thank god. We should also send Bamsonov to the AHL, and trade Kovalev. Bonk, Johnson, and Pleks stay,as a checking line. Hope they also get rid of Dandy, and maybe trade Bouillon?

6. #7 smiler2729 says:
    March 2, 2007 at 12:51 pm

I’d take Souray over McCabe any day so $5 million+ sounds like a wise investment for the power play cannon, the leader in dressing room and the good ol’ Canadian grit that Sheldon brings…

Zubrus would be alright if he’s better than the Zubrus that left here 5 years ago but I’m kinda tired of soft, skilled Euro types.

I don’t have a problem with Mathieu Dandenault but I never saw anything special in little Frankie Bouillon so I’m with you on that one as well as shipping out the rest of the deadwood that can’t perform up to their standards…

I wonder if Gainey will pull a blockbuster to land Lecavalier or someone of his ilk (preferrably North American) to alter the core of this team like speculation says he wants to. Been a long while since we had a French Canadian superstar (Pierre Turgeon, and then Houle trades him for Corson, WTF!)

7. #8 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 12:56 pm

And we did not trade Souray, Kovalev, Dandy, Bouillon, Ninny,…… so quit whining because this is the team we have going to the playoffs and it not going to change until the season is over…. Resume after the season when something can actully happen… We all know you are dissatisfied with lack of movement at the trade deadline but we have some high picks, salary room, and UFA’s to for moment at year end. You can make reference to all the blog posts to remind us of the distaste for their decisions…

8. #9 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 1:01 pm

The article in Post #6 also refers to a Josh Gorges debute… Moving Striet up to forward. Scary thing Souray with the newbie????

9. #10 smiler2729 says:
    March 2, 2007 at 1:07 pm

I’m not whining. I like the guys we have, don’t love them but like. I never wanted Souray traded and thought getting Gorges and a 1st rounder for tired old Rivet was genius so you ain’t talking to me.

Maybe Josh Gorges can cover Souray’s defensive liabilities…

Montreal 4, Buffalo 3

10. #11 R habs 4 real says:
    March 2, 2007 at 1:14 pm

1 thing we can do during the off season, is to follow the steps of Detroit for signing contracts. For every contract a player signs with their organization, they put in a performance clause, and incentives. So, in other words, a player gets a base salary, and any additional amount of $$$ based on how they performs, ie. how many goals they score, +- rating, etc. Imagine if Kovalev’s contract was set up that way. That’s the way it should be, for him, or any other player on our team. You would see, a completely different desire and attitude from key players. No wonder Detroit does so well every year. what a classy and smart franchise. Kudos to them, and if I had to pick 2 teams to win the cup this year, NJ and Detroit would be my picks, with Dallas as a dark horse.

11. #12 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 1:20 pm

I was not referencing anyone in particular and do not want to discourage any interesting hockey talk, but I think it is time to move on from trade and waivers(would of, could of, never will be’s) and focus on the playoffs, which are just around the corner.

12. #13 smiler2729 says:
    March 2, 2007 at 1:33 pm

I like Detroit too to win it all but they seem to be getting injuries now (Hasek, Zetterberg, Bertuzzi) and both Datsyuk and Zetts have yet to even show they are the player in the playoffs that they are in the regular season…

I like New Jersey too because they’ll just bore the shit out of any opposition by standing 5 guys across the blue line after they pot their one goal of the game… Only team I know that skates 4 checking lines consisting of 3 stay-at-home forwards on each, BORING! Dallas has become the same way…

Darkhorses: Gotta like Vancouver, Pittsburgh and Buffalo…

Coincidence or voodoo? The Habs last three coaches are all leading their teams to the top of the standings (Vigneault – VAN, Therrien – PGH and Julien – NJ)… Again, proof that Montreal eats its own.

13. #14 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 1:36 pm

I like the R habs 4 real suggetion of performance based salaries but it may be a hard sell to the players with other quick and easy money offers. I say flat $4.5 for Sheldon to start with a $500k bonus for 20 goals increasing increments of $250k for every 10 goals over 20, and $500k for a positive +/-.

14. #15 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 2:32 pm

RDS saying Abby will be in Net, while TSN “ice chips” saying Jaro most likely to get the start???!?!

15. #16 Rob says:
    March 2, 2007 at 2:58 pm

I think that Habs fans may also need to face the fact that until Huet recovers. Aebischer is likely the starter for the majority of the next 16! Halak won some games, and did well in a fe3w starts, but Aebischer has to become the go to guy in nets now.

It’s high drama time. Watch the prima donnas start to shine and enjoy the show.

Smiler, we already know that Montreal eats their own. You probably don’t need to convince the rest of us anymore.

Montreal 5 Buffalo 3

16. Jaro Halak week on the stick side and Abby can’t catch a beach ball lately,put Abby on left side and Halak on right side.This is another important game for fans of the Habs ,too bad the flu bug still plagues the team,what timing! But don’t worry ,KOVALEV will save the day …Russian roulette anyone??? I’m thinking its the Sens that are going to take it all at this point,which don’t tickle me fancy ,but it does show-cast how Canadian style hockey is the only style,its superior to the Euro gay style that’s being forced on all the fans!OLAY OLAYOGAYOGAY

17. #18 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 4:16 pm

I would bet on Abby in the Net for the remander unless he shows a solid game. Halak even in his losses has shown more confidence than Abby who will most likely not be a Hab come July…

18. #19 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 4:21 pm

correction blog post 18 – I would NOT bet on Abby…

19. #20 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Senators have a lot of Euro’s and Russians with a Swedish capton??? There best player is Heatley from West Germany.

20. #21 R habs 4 real says:
    March 2, 2007 at 4:32 pm

If we put Aebishit in nets, we are doomed! The guy has no confidence, and can’t catch anything. With him, it’s a painful death! Anyone in nets, but him!

21. #22 Markey says:
    March 2, 2007 at 6:19 pm

It’s ‘Berth’ not ‘Birth.’

Sheesh.

March 2, 2007 at 7:41 pm

lol

March 2, 2007 at 7:44 pm

I think that was a shot at you HabsBlog lol

24. #25 R habs 4 real says:
    March 2, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Aebischer is in nets. Oh Damn! forget this game! Can’t win with Aebishit in nets!

25. don’t worry we have KOVALEV?

26. #27 R habs 4 real says:
    March 2, 2007 at 8:13 pm

I told you people. AEBISHIT ALREADY LET IN 2 GOALS! ONLY 2 MINUTES GONE BY IN GAME! HE’S A DEATH WISH ! IF HE PLAYS AGAIN, I HAVE ZERO RESPECT FOR CARBO!!!!

27. Rhabs4real ,come on Buds,I’m not a Abby fan but its like he’s the only Hab on the ice!

March 2, 2007 at 8:20 pm

It was not his fault alone but there is no point in telling some people anything because they are always right .

29. OUR NEW D MAN IS ALLREADY -2,LOL

March 2, 2007 at 8:28 pm

Yeah poor guy getting stuck with that in his first game, he was a +5 and plays around 18 minutes a game and he is young, too bad for him.

31. #32 R habs 4 real says:
    March 2, 2007 at 8:32 pm

What do you expect? He’s playing on a team with players who don’t care,and it shows! Carbo was forced to take a timeout only 2 minutes into the game. They weren’t ready. How many times have we heard that before?

32. #33 habs phan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 8:33 pm

Fukin smarten up, are we Gonna get rolled by buffalo, faggots!!! Come on

33. #34 Joseph says:
    March 2, 2007 at 8:38 pm

The Habs were in a position to be a legitimate contender this season, but they fell apart. The essential need for a goaltender wasn’t addressed at the deadline, which also sends a negative message to the players.

They’re finished this season, folks. Shit. If this isn’t clear now, it will be several games from now.

I hate to be negative but they aren’t showing much at all that’s positive.

34. The Habs have to control the play and the puck in there end ,you could cinder block the front of the goal and they would still score,WE NEED MORE SIZE ON THE DEFENCE…….

35. #36 R habs 4 real says:
    March 2, 2007 at 8:49 pm

There is absolutely NO EMOTION from these players. If these were boys, Carbo should take his belt off and whip their asses! That’s what they deserve. Knock some emotion and desire into them, because THEY’RE TOTALLY LIFELESS!
    They’re playing like they don’t give a damn and aren’t interested in making the playoffs. I feel sorry for Gainey! He really has his work cut out for him!

36. #37 R habs 4 real says:
    March 2, 2007 at 8:56 pm

I read somewhere that Pat Burns might be interested in coaching again. Bring him on! Carbo doesn’t know how to handle these prima donnas. Carbo will be fired if habs don’t make the playoffs. It’s his job to get his players motivated, and he failed miserably!

37. Burns never won a cup as coach of the Habs and the one he got in N.J. was handed to him. Carbo needs players like Ryan Smyth not Kovalev

38. Nice goal by KOMASARIK,hell of a tip in,yikes!!!

March 2, 2007 at 9:08 pm

yeahyeah always about Kovalev or some other guy , you guys are like broken records

40. #41 R habs 4 real says:
    March 2, 2007 at 9:11 pm

Maybe the players are angry because Gainey didn’t make any trades. It makes sense, because they played great on Monday, but next game, right after draft day, there was no effort. All the years I’ve watched this team, I have never seen such lack of intensity or desire. It’s a really sad situation, because we’re being embarrassed every game now. Oh my God!

41. see the difference Don, Souray =leader =goals

42. lapierre,best player on the ice

43. flood gate is open

44. Ok,nice interview KOVALEV,NOW START POTING IN THE FREEKING GOALS MAN!

45. #46 R habs 4 real says:
    March 2, 2007 at 9:52 pm

the penalties are killing us. all those penalties because we’re too lazy to knock the puck off their sticks. The need to move their feet.

46. #47 Gui-Unit says:
    March 2, 2007 at 10:02 pm

shit!!, Carolina won…If they Habs don’t win, they’ll be at the 9th spot..

47. I am feeling sorry for Abby,poor bastard doesn’t know if he’s coming or going,lol

48. A h,Carbo,maybe goalie changing time!

49. #50 Joseph says:
    March 2, 2007 at 10:22 pm

I was going to say that the Habs have to score 6 to win hockey games these days, but it appears that that number is rising. Maybe they should put Souray in net. No, that would hurt their offence.