Playoff Scenarios

• With only two games remaining you’d like to be able to say the Canadiens have or can clinch a spot with a win tonight. Not necessarily the case.

If the Canadiens manage to extend their lead over the Leafs to two or more points, they will be eliminated. Simply because even with a win on Saturday and a situation where both teams are tied, the Canadiens will advance on more wins.

For that to be the case, the Islanders would have to win tonight. That would give the Islanders two points with 2 more games remaining. One against the cellar dwelling Flyers. Still within reach.

You could break your head in half calculating all the potential situations and outcomes. The one thing everyone knows is, if the Habs win their last two games – they are in.

Hopefully that’s all they are focused on.

1. #1 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    April 5, 2007 at 10:14 am

I feel good about a Laff loss tonight.

The NYI’s will come out tonight on fire. They have a good record at home.
    25-13 or something like that.

The Laff’s have used up all of their 9 lives. They have no more lives left. They can pull no more rabbits out of that magic hat of their’s. They have been clinging to life support for weeks now & the plug will finally be pulled by the NYI’s tonight.

REST IN PEACE LAFFS. REST IN PEACE…………..

2. #2 GO HABS says:
    April 5, 2007 at 10:27 am

Best case scenario: We win. Toronto loses.
    Worst case scenario: We lose. Toronto wins.

3. Tell you what should happen, If Ryan Smyth takes out the Laff’s tonite,then in the off season ,the Habs should sign him to a multi year contract as a reward. Just rewards,one of the best get to play with the Habs;”simply, the best”!!!!

4. #4 La Verite says:
    April 5, 2007 at 10:50 am

The Islanders are 21-13-6 but only 3-3-2 in their last 8.
    The Rangers are 6-1-1 with only 11GA in their last 8 at home.

Tough tough game tonight. Saku will have to keep showing up his detractors as will Kovalev if the team will have a chance. Halak will have to keep pulling the horseshoes out of his rear and maintain his solid play. It can be done!

5. #5 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    April 5, 2007 at 10:55 am

Yes Tri. I agree. The NYI’s have to get the job done for us tonight. So we can send the Bulldogs to Toronto Saturday.

If the Laffs get put out tonight. Do you think that the Laffs Assholes like Mother-Tucker etc. Will take cheap shots at our good players Sturday night.?

6. No worries Dawg, if they act up ,we’ll send the young guys after em!GO HABSssssss!!!!

7. Rumor has it that PM Stephen Harper cheers for the Laffs.

8. #8 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    April 5, 2007 at 1:00 pm

Of course he does. Harper is an ASS-WIPE, SHIT LICKER like the Laffs.

9. #9 AK27 says:
    April 5, 2007 at 1:05 pm

Big ass game tonight!! I’m so pumped!! Hopefully the habs no also how important this is… Also GO ISLANDERS!!! A win tonight and an Islander win means we can start Huet vs. the blokes and rest Halak for the playoffs. Living in New Jersey means theres a lot of Ranger fans around me and I cant stand them all!! GO HABS GO I’ll be singing the OLE OLE OLE OLE tonight… Prediction 4-2 Latendresse gets the game winner!!

10. #10 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    April 5, 2007 at 1:27 pm

End it tonight Habs…. Make a statement! Go Habs Go

11. #11 fan4066 says:
    April 5, 2007 at 1:57 pm

8 CANADIENS-DAWG

Of course he does. Harper is an ASS-WIPE, SHIT LICKER like the Laffs.

Hey brother, you must be…..I hate the Laffs and Harper too!!

12. #12 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    April 5, 2007 at 2:06 pm

Hey Fan. How are you doing Bro?

13. #13 fan4066 says:
    April 5, 2007 at 2:19 pm

Hey DAWG, good man, good….huge game tonight!!!

This is the nite be eliminate the Laffs

Heres the way I see tonight. If the Caps can walk into Atlanta and beat the Thrashers, we should be able to walk into NY and beat the Rangers

14. #14 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    April 5, 2007 at 2:25 pm

I have a good feeling tonight. The Laffs are due for a loss. My 1st post above says it all.

I can feel it in my “BONE”………….LOL………..

After this weekend I don’t have to lick my balls anymore. I will a some
    “LAFF BITCHES” to do it for me.

15. #15 fan4066 says:
    April 5, 2007 at 2:33 pm

I think we will win too, and I just feel the NYI will WHIP THE LAFFS ASS, BRO!!!!! WHIP THERE ASS! and Satursay night will not matter

16. #16 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    April 5, 2007 at 2:42 pm

The NYI’s will whip their Candy Asses all over New York City. Maybe the Habs will see a few Laffs blow by Madison Square Gardens………LOL…….

NYI’s will whip the Laffs and the Habs will put salt on the wounds on Saturday……….

17. #17 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    April 5, 2007 at 2:47 pm

WE CAN’T LOSE NOW. WE HAVE PLAYED WAY TOO HARD TO GIVE IT ALL UP.

HALAK DESERVES A PLAYOFF START…………….

18. #18 fan4066 says:
    April 5, 2007 at 2:50 pm

With Atl losing last night. they might finish 6th. We win tonight, we jump to 7th…1 point behind Atl for 6th…we could still POSSIBLY finish 6th

19. #19 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    April 5, 2007 at 2:53 pm

Fan we will talk again tonight Ok. I will be back during the Games.

20. #20 nigelski says:
    April 5, 2007 at 3:35 pm

I just hope we settle it tonight, with a win coupled with a leaf loss. That way, when I watch the game at the bar on Saturday, I’ll be the one doing all the taunting. It’s days like the one I’m hoping for that make being a Habs fan in Toronto even more worthwhile. Were we to finish them off on Saturday night, that would be gold. Gold, I say.

That game makes me worry though. So I’m wantin’ it to be over tonight. Doobie has to get the start and win for the isles. Dunham would lose for sure…And of course we have to win on the road, which hasn’t been that easy for us this season. The plus is that we could lose tonight, and still get in (or at least make sure the leafs don’t) with a victory Saturday.

I’ve read all kind of posts on varied other sites saying that they want both teams to make the playoffs. Not me. My best case scenario is that the leafs NEVER, ever make the playoffs again. GOLF LEAFS GOLF!!!

21. Guys, we will be rooting for you to win and hopefully for the Leafs to lose. Come on Habs, please win tonight and hope for a Toronto loss. I hope we can win tonight!

Ziman

22. #22 Rob says:
    April 5, 2007 at 4:26 pm

DAWG:

I agree with you on both counts. When the Habs beat the Laffs out for the last spot in the East, hopefully it won’t be the last disappointment in the near future for PM Harper.

23. #23 WestCoastHabs says:
    April 5, 2007 at 5:22 pm

Tonight is going to be tough – really tough.

We have to stop thinking about the Leafs and focus on what we need to do. We control our own destiny. 2 more wins and we’re in.

Let’s focus on the task at hand, boys. Get’er done!!

24. #24 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    April 5, 2007 at 7:06 pm

ARE WE READY TO RUMBLE ???????????

WE ARE READY TO TALK SMACK & KICK ASS BOYS……….

GO HABS GO………

YEAH BABY YEAH……….

When the Laffs lose maybe the Habs can dart over to Long Island to throw a little salt on dem there wounds……………..

25. #25 La Verite says:
    April 5, 2007 at 7:28 pm

DAWG, you’re getting ahead of us! We need to comeback from this deficit first!

26. #26 Dan Im Fed UP says:
    April 5, 2007 at 7:32 pm

they look like shit!

27. #27 R habs 4 real says:
    April 5, 2007 at 7:51 pm

Well, if we play the rest of the game like we played the 1st period, WE’RE FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What will it take for this team to SHOW UP in the 1st period?
    THEY NEVER DO! THE RANGERS CONTROLLED THE ENTIRE 1st period! WE GOT INTO THE RANGERS ZONE, ONCE ONLY THE ENTIRE PERIOD! There is no checking, no skating, and no hitting. The rangers are being allowed to come out of their zone with ease! You can’t win this game playing this way! How can they not skate in such an important game? And the 1st goal was a SOFT goal! This could be 1-0 game. You can’t allow a soft goal! Huet should have started!
    I fear we will NOT make the playoffs, because we NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER
    show up in the 1st period!

28. #28 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    April 5, 2007 at 7:52 pm

The same first period every night. Come on boys suck it up. Lets go. You can do it.

29. #29 R habs 4 real says:
    April 5, 2007 at 7:59 pm

I think the RANGERS have absolutely nothing to worry about!
    The habs look so scared and tentative. This is a prepared hockey team?

30. #30 R habs 4 real says:
    April 5, 2007 at 8:26 pm

WE CAN’T WIN ON THE ROAD! LEAFS WILL WIN SATURDAY!! GOODBYE HABS!

31. #31 R habs 4 real says:
    April 5, 2007 at 8:29 pm

We aren’t in the same league as the rangers! They are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better! There is no competition for Ny tonight!
    Men vs boys!

32. #32 R habs 4 real says:
    April 5, 2007 at 8:37 pm

I GUESS WE SAVE OUR WORST GAME OF THE SEASON WHEN IT COUNTS THE MOST!!
    I told you HUET SHOULD BE PLAYING! Halak is SHIT! Take him out! NOW! PLEASE!PLEASE!PLEASE!PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THE HABS CAN”t WIN ON THE ROAD! CARBO DID NOT PREPARE THEM!
    THIS TEAM IS PATHETIC!
    HABS DON’T DESERVE TO BE IN THE PLAYOFFS! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WE’re FIinished! finished! finished! GET THE GOLF CLUBS OUT!

33. #33 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    April 5, 2007 at 9:05 pm

I can’t believe what Carbo is doing to Halak. Halak carried the Habs to where they are now. Tonight is not Halak’s fault. And to throw him out like yesterday’s trash. I am so disapointed in this team right now, the coach mostly

I truly pray to my God that Montreal get their Asses kicked by the Leafs when Huet plays Saturday……………..

34. #34 R habs 4 real says:
    April 5, 2007 at 9:16 pm

THIS TEAM HAS THE LEAST HEART

35. #35 West Coast Habs Fan says:
    April 5, 2007 at 9:26 pm

Nice goal for Sourey. Hope they can capitalize on the second powerplay. Come on Habs!

36. #36 Habs#1 says:
    April 5, 2007 at 9:27 pm

How can you be dissapointed with Carbo for pulling Halak? He did the smart thing! Or he could leave him in net with a team that didn’t show up, the Rangers score more on him and he has even less confidence after words. It doesn’t matter if it’s the goalies fault or not.

And the Leafs are losing, the Habs have a chance to clinch, and they don’t even show up. Losing is one thing, but not showing up for a game of this magnitude is unacceptable. Plain and Simple.

And it is true that the Habs mostly suck on the road. They haven’t won in T.O. since the second game of the season. They are fighting a major up hill battle. Especailly mentally. If the Leafs lose in regualation to the Isles, how much you wanna bet half if not more of the players will be thinking ‘Man all we have to do is get it to O.T. and we’re going to the playoffs! Whoopi freaking dooo! We don’t even need to win!’ I have a very bad feeling that a lot of the Habs are going to go into that game thinking that.

Although on a bad night, congrats to Sheldon Souray for setting the new NHL record for defenceman for most PP goals in a season.

37. #37 R habs 4 real says:
    April 5, 2007 at 9:50 pm

The Isles just scored, and now leading 4-2. But everyone forgot 1 thing. 1 point is no longer enough to get the habs in the playoffs. they have to win!
    Because if the Isles win their remaining 2 games, THEY’RE IN, and the LEAFS and HABS are out! the habs must win, but they won’t , because they are simply NOT ABLE to WIN ON THE ROAD!!!! The only team we beat on the road recently, are the Bruins, and we had to come back from a 2 goal deficit to do that!
    When was the last time the HABS SHOWED UP IN THE 1ST PERIOD THIS SEASON? Try NEVER! Like I said, there is something very very wrong witb this team!
    This loss is unacceptable! NOT SHOWING UP IS UNACCEPTABLE AND UNFORGIVABLE!
    IF CArbo can’t motivate his players for such an important game, he should be fired! And for those fans who think the habs played so well lately, who exactly did they beat? The great Boston Bruins and the great Washington Caps?
    Ok, once the Rangers(fluke)! They haven’t won on the road, and they haven’t beaten 1 great time. THE HABS ARE PRETENDERS, CERTAINLY NOT CUP CONTENDERS,AND DON’T DESERVE TO BE IN THE PLAYOFFS!

38. #38 R habs 4 real says:
    April 5, 2007 at 10:02 pm

Tonight,I am embarrassed to be a habs fan! Truly embarrassed! To NOT SHOW UP? I SIMPLY CAN’T BELIEVE THEY DECIDED NOT SKATE! Where is the heart? where is the desire? where is the effort? WHY DOES THIS TEAM CARE SO LITTLE?
    If they pull this stunt repeatedly next year, I will be finished being a habs fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. R habs 4 real:

Is that you, Stephen Harper?

Relax, please. I think it was you that was saying that the Habs would end up in 13th place two weeks ago!

So, the Habs have to beat Toronto to make the playoffs. They have won the last two games against Toronto, and are a better team overall.

Take a couple of deep breaths — it’s going to be OK.

40. #40 tbayfan says:
    April 5, 2007 at 10:13 pm

R Habs 4 Real you are the MOST NEGATIVE PESSIMISTIC FAN ever…..finish being a Habs fan today !!! Your negativity is NOT HELPING… Habs fans are all disappointed I’m sure but your venting incessantly only rubs salt in the wounds…….it’s not over yet!!!!!!

41. Before tonight, the Habs were 8-2 in their last 10 games. The Laffs were 5-3-2 in their last ten.

Two weeks ago, I predicted 92 points would get the Habs in the playoffs, and I also predicted the Habs would knock the Laffs out of a playoff position on April 7.

I will stand by those predictions, and I really don’t want to hear anymore talk of anyone hoping the Leafs beat the Habs on Saturday.

I further predict that Michael Ryder should have the game of his life on Saturday to support Newfoundland Premier, Danny Williams, in his dispute against Stephen Harper, a Leafs fan.

42. #42 R habs 4 real says:
    April 5, 2007 at 10:23 pm

This team is definitely NOT OK! They can’t win on the road, and they play without passion, desire, or heart! Carbo will start HUET on Saturday. 2 of the 3 goals allowed were soft goals, starting with the 1st goal, which ANY major league goalie,MUST STOP!
    But, most of all, I blame CARBO. He had no game plan in this game. The Rangers sure did. Carbo has NO IDEA how to win! This team will not make the playoffs next season, if Carbo is coaching! For a coach to not be able to motivate his players, in soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many important games? Something, internally, is wrong with this team. If you ask any commentator or reporter, they will tell you the same thing.
    Honestly, I hope the Islanders get in, instead of us! WE DON’T DESERVE IT! WE’RE THE WORST ROAD TEAM AMONGST ALL THE CONTENDING TEAMS! Everyone knows that, and their play proves that. The habs have ZERO confidence on the road!
    Pathetic, pathetic team! And BTW, they’re going to lose on Saturday. Do you know why? BECAUSE IT’S A ROAD GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

43. #43 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    April 5, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Fairwell Guys. Have a safe and happy summer.

I can’t do this to myself anymore. Hockey is all about the money now. NOt HEART.

Fan4066, take care my friend.

It will be the same thing next year at this time for you guys. It’s time to let go…………….

April 5, 2007 at 10:35 pm

GO HABS GO

45. #45 Rubberman says:
    April 5, 2007 at 10:55 pm

Man oh man!

The only thing right now is that in February, no one thought the Habs would make a run a playoff spot.

Hope for the best.

But, if the Habs win on Sat, all the fans that gave up on them this winter and tonight: GO SCREW YOURSELVES. IT’S JUST A FREAKING GAME.

46. #46 Habs#1 says:
    April 6, 2007 at 12:09 am

Actually R habs 4 real, the Habs don’t need to win on Saturday to beat out the Isles. They will hold the tie breaker over them as well as the Leafs. All they need is one point. My fear is that one point may be too much for this team.

47. #47 R habs 4 real says:
    April 6, 2007 at 12:35 am

Actually Habs#1: YOU’RE WRONG! we do need to get 2 points, because NYI have 2 games left to play. If the habs only get 1 point, they eliminate the leafs only. 1 point gives the habs 91 points, but the NYI can finish with 92 points, if they win their 2 remaining games. If the Islanders win both games, coupled with a leaf win in OT, both leafs and habs are out of it, and NYI are in.
    So, the only way the habs get in, is if they win the game, either in regulation or OT, or if the NYI lose 1 of their games, or only takes 3 of a possible 4 points.
    But, I really dn’t put much into the habs winning. Why should they try?
    They never win on the road, and they certainly don’t show up in 1st periods. You know the leafs will go all out in the 1st period(with the habs invisible), and if the y take a 1 or 2 goal lead on us, it’s curtains. Leafs are at home, and well, you know our road record. It’s horrendous, so don’t hold your breath!
    I’ll say this, tho. If we don’t get in, I hope the ISLANDERS. If the leafs win, they can’t celebrate, because they won’t know their fate until Sunday afternoon, when NYI plays in NJ, and I’m willing to bet, Brodeur, and other devils will be rested, and not playing. If I was a betting person, THE ISLANDERS WILL GET IN! I have no confidence in thew habs winning. they proved that tonight, with their NO SHOW, NO HEART, and NO DESIRE attitude!

48. Well ,that’s it , I’m going back to my old name, ok ,no show with everything on the line , NO SHOW? No matter what,in the off season ,Gainey …your freeking job is to make this team a contender. If it’s to much ,step down Bro,we all love U anyway,but ,enough.This is the Montreal Canadiens,so handle with care ,just like the Yankies,end of discussion. And for all the fans that want to argue,do it with your spouses,I’m pissed ,back off!!!

49. #49 nigelski says:
    April 6, 2007 at 6:25 am

What a lacklustre performance. I get bitter every time I see such a pathetic effort. Why this team struggles like this, I’ll never know. FCS, they’re playing in the NHL, every kid’s (in Canada) dream, and they can’t get up for key games. In rating their NY belly flop, I’ll give them a 10.

Souray sets single season ppgoal for a defenceman total last night. Don’t dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back Sheldon, because I find it virtually meaningless without a playoff berth. In recent years, the leafs have owned us @ the ACC. So I’m kinda dejected right now…

The fight is still there, however, and my will to persevere has never been stronger! All that happened before Raycroft became their goalie. The worst starter to play so many games, and we can thank Paul Maurice for that: he has NO confidence in Aubin. So hope springs eternal…

50. #50 nigelski says:
    April 6, 2007 at 6:37 am

Wow, and I thought I was bitter…Reading some of the above comments, which I didn’t do until just now, I am, like, WHAT?!?!?! Give up? Abandon the team? For all the talk by leaf players about how they control their own destiny, it is the HABS who control everyone else’s. We win, we’re in. That simple. We win every tie-break scenario with the leafs and isles.

For those of you giving up and packing it in, stop emulating a leaf fan. I thought we hab fans were made of sterner stuff. I am. I won’t be getting my habs logo tattoo removed because of this, and I’ll be back next year, regardless of Saturday’s outcome.

In closing: if I wanted to hang around a bunch of quitters, I’d go to an AA meeting.