Pray for the Gainey Family

• HALIFAX (CP) – The Montreal Canadiens hockey club is confirming that the woman swept off a Nova Scotia tall ship is the daughter of the club’s executive vice president, Bob Gainey.

Laura Gainey, 25, was washed off a deck at the back of the vessel in a storm at 9:30 p.m. Friday.

A search is continuing this morning.

Dan Moreland, the senior captain of the Picton Castle, says she is a volunteer on the vessel who is known to be very fit, and is “a well loved crew member.”

Meanwhile, the U.S. coast guard says the search for the woman is in a crucial stage this morning.

Spokeswoman Faith Wisinski says aircraft resumed searching at first light and a U.S. coast guard vessel has searched through the night for Gainey.

However, she says that as of 9 a.m. this morning, Gainey has been in the water 30 hours.

Wisinski says the water is warm in the area, but it’s expected hypothermia would normally take a person’s life after 36 hours.

Gainey isn’t wearing a life-jacket.

1. As a parent myself; this is absolutely the worst new’s that you could hear. To have a child missing and possibly presumed dead it does not get any worse than that. My heart goes out to Bob and his family. First his wife succumb’s to cancer and now this; my prayer’s are with you Bob.

2. #2 stevejur says:
    December 10, 2006 at 12:32 pm

Some things are more important than anything in life (including hockey)
    and family is one of those things.
    I’m shocked I don’t know what to say
    God bless Bob and his family.

3. Losing anyone you care about is terrible but after losing his wife and now this, I can’t imagine what he’s going through, I just hope he can pull through it and by a miracle of miracle’s his daughter is found alive.

4. #4 fanatic1 says:
    December 10, 2006 at 1:06 pm

I think that nothing is more important, than your health, and your life.We can only hope and pray, that his daughter will be found alive. nothing is more tragic and devastating, to lose a loved one, especially if the child dies before the parent does. Our hearts are with you Bob.God be with you!

December 10, 2006 at 1:16 pm

In a situation like this hockey doesnt really matter.Wishing all the best to the gainey family.All of our prayers are with you.God bless

6. I know I speak for all montrealers when I say our hearts thought and prayers are with you!

God Bless you and your family M.GAINEY

7. Very sad news for Bob Gainey and his family. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

8. OUr prayers are with the Gainey family.

God bless.

9. #9 rhozack says:
    December 10, 2006 at 2:08 pm

God Bless and Good luck Mr. Gainey

10. What a sad and discouraging piece of news. Bob Gainey is and has always been a fine gentlemen on and off the ice and our prayers are with him in British Columbia.

Michael Morgan

11. I’m speechless.As a parent when you hear of such news your mind tries to put you in their shoes, but its not possible. Your immediate reaction is to give your head a shake and try to think of something else.Nothing we can say will help.In Fredericton our thoughts and prayers are with you Bob, and your family.

Marc True

12. My thoughts are with all of you in the Gainey family. I hope for a positive outcome and that the gulf current stays warm as can be.

13. #13 Jim Arklay says:
    December 10, 2006 at 3:42 pm

I still remember when Bob Gainey arrived in Montreal from Peterborough, Ontario.He became the heart and soul of so many excellent teams, and Montrealers have always appreciated the quiet way in which he has always comported himself, both as a player, and even when he was an executive with other teams. That such a classy individual should have to suffer so much through the loss of his wife and now the possibility that his daughter is lost at sea seems unfair. We can only pray to by some great fortune she is found, and if not, that he will find the strength to carry on his life. He is an example to so many, and the community needs him.

14. #14 johnnyhab says:
    December 10, 2006 at 5:39 pm

God Bless Mr. Gainey and his family our prayers are with you and your loved ones.

15. #15 TonyMuerte says:
    December 10, 2006 at 7:04 pm

Bad news.

Le dimanche 10 décembre 2006
    Agrandir l’image

PIERRE GAUTHIER VA REMPLACER LE DG DU CANADIEN

La fille de Bob Gainey se serait noyée

Presse Canadienne

Halifax

La fille du directeur-général du Canadien de Montréal, Bob Gainey, se serait vraisemblement noyée dans l’océan atlantique, au large de Cape Cod, aux États-Unis.

Laura Gainey, 25 ans, est tombée d’un bateau, vendredi soir, lors d’une tempête. Les autorités l’ont portée disparue depuis.

Elle était bénévole à bord du «Picton Castle», un bateau qui avait quitté la Nouvelle-Ecosse en direction de La Grenade.

Mentionnons que Bob Gainey a perdu son épouse en 1993, victime d’un cancer.

La garde-côtière américaine, qui poursuit les recherches, a fait savoir que le moment était crucial puisque Laura Gainey est tombée à l’eau depuis une trentaine d’heures.

Pierre Gauthier va remplacer temporairement Bob Gainey, comme directeur général du Canadien de Montréal.

Bob Gainey est actuellement en compagnie de ses trois autres enfants, Hanna, Colleen et Steve, en attendant d’obtenir plus d’informations en provenance de la garde-cotière américaine.

Sorry, i can’t find the source in english. But this source is on Cyberpresse

Fast traduction : Pierre Gauthier will replace Bob Gainey for a while. They didn’t find her ( Laura Gainey) but she is virtually dead :( Poor guy.

16. #16 smiler2729 says:
    December 10, 2006 at 7:33 pm

I’ve always believed in miracles.

17. yup….me too smiler

18. Bob and his family are in our thoughts. All the best wishes through this difficult time.

19. #19 Jack Tornton says:
    December 10, 2006 at 9:03 pm

Al the best wishes to you Bob Gainey. Hope she’s found, or if not let’s pray she gets found. I wished it would’ve been a april fool. Best luck.

20. #20 HaBs4EveR says:
    December 10, 2006 at 9:37 pm

Who would of thought this could happen? All my prayers goes to the Gainey family.

21. #21 koivufan says:
    December 11, 2006 at 6:38 am

my thoughts and prayers go out to mr. gainey and his family

22. #22 Gumper says:
    December 11, 2006 at 9:32 am

I’m totally shocked!!! I just read it on cbc.ca. WOW! I’m really chocked up right now. He’s been tested enough in his life. Keep hope alive…

23. #23 habmanj says:
    December 11, 2006 at 10:09 am

To the Gainey family, you are in our hearts and prayers.

24. Let us pray for a christmas miracle.

25. #25 smiler2729 says:
    December 11, 2006 at 1:25 pm

I think I’m going to give the blogging about possible trades and bad games a rest for awhile… seems so insignificant now. Still believing in miracles though!

26. Laura was a dear friend to my son and daughter in Dallas. We are so worried and heart broken. Bob and Colleen, we are praying.

27. #27 jfk0202 says:
    December 11, 2006 at 4:45 pm

Thoughts and prayers are with you from all of us in Alberta. Keep your head up Bob…We all believe in miracles…

28. #28 Habs#1 says:
    December 11, 2006 at 7:59 pm

At TSN.ca they say that the search is winding down and that it’s looking bleaker and bleaker. This is a very sad day and situation. We can only pray.

29. you have given us so many wonderful memories in the hockey rink–we all wish you and your family all the best at this time-you are in our thoughts and prayers tonight

30. #30 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 12, 2006 at 12:55 am

Everyone except the Picton Castle – the ship she was on – has given up the search… They say her life expectancy in the waters were up to 36 hours and it has been past 70 now… This is terrible, really terrible. No parent deserves to have to bury his own child. He might not even have the body to bury… How awful can that be?

Everyone is still praying for miracles Bob. All our thoughts are with you.

31. When I was a child, I fondly remember Bob Gainey’s bravery as the Captain of the Canadiens during the 1970s and 1980s. He always seemed to battle through everything with honor, dignity and humility. Now that I am a parent myself, I cannot even begin to imagine how painful this experience will be for him and the rest of his family.

In the big picture, hockey really doesn’t matter one whit. Mr. Gainey, you have been an inspiration to me and alot of fans of the game. For everything that is wrong with professional sports right now, you represent what is right! My deepest thoughts and prayers are with you in Nova Scotia during these dark hours.

32. We can only hope that if she is not found that she will be re-united with her mother, Cathy, in heaven.

33. Mr Gainey & Family,
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones, as are , I’m sure, all of Winnipeg.

34. How classy are the Gaineys?:

We wish to sincerely thank all the people who have been involved in the search for our darling Laura,” the Gainey family said in a statement on Tuesday.

“Their extensive efforts and their tremendous support throughout this ordeal will never be forgotten. We would particularly like to thank the United States Coast Guard and the Canadian Forces’ Joint Rescue Coordination Center in Halifax for their extraordinary efforts. We are also very grateful to the entire crew of the Picton Castle and the merchant ships that graciously volunteered their time and resources. Our family would like to express our deep appreciation for the overwhelming support and prayers from our family, friends and the general public. Thank you

35. #35 John AuCoin says:
    December 17, 2006 at 8:59 pm

Mr Gainey & Family,
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones, as are , I’m sure, all of Ottawa. We can only hope that if she is not found that she will be re-united with her mother, Cathy, in heaven. When I was a child, I fondly remember Bob Gainey’s bravery as the Captain of the Canadiens during the 1970s and 1980s. He always seemed to battle through everything with honor, dignity and humility. Now that I am a parent myself, I cannot even begin to imagine how painful this experience will be for him and the rest of his family.

In the big picture, hockey really doesn’t matter one bit. Mr. Gainey, you have been an inspiration to me and alot of fans of the game. For everything that is wrong with professional sports right now, you represent what is right! My deepest thoughts and prayers are with you in Ontario during these dark hours.

36. Bob – Our prayers are with you Bob. As a past team mate of yours, I always looked up to you. You are an inspiration for all sports, not just hockey. You are always classy. Our thoughts are with you and your family. As a life long fan of the Habs, I am going to my first game in Montreal in early January. I wanted to let you know Bob, that we are with you at this time and so is all of Peterborough.

Bill Epping & Family