Puck Storm

• The Carolina Hurricanes stormed the Canadiens with over 40 shots en route to a 4-2 win.

Even with the league’s best goaltender, when you allow over 40 shots a game it is very difficult to win.

The Habs got the early jump and Michael Ryder broke out of his scoring slump thanks to a great pass from Guillaume Latendresse.

When the Habs score first they win 80% of their games.

Alex Kovalev hits the cross bar and nearly makes it 2-0 but nearly doesn’t count on the scoreboard and on the same play Hab Killer Erik Cole tied the game.

The Canes then started their rubber barrage and eventually found the net again to seal it late in the third.

The Habs were out shot but were still ‘in’ this game until the end.

Ryder and Plekanec on the scoresheet is a positive sign and hopefully Ryder can get back on track.

The Habs have still not lost consecutive games this season and the always difficult Leafs are in town Saturday to try to make sure they do.

The Canadiens hold a one point lead over the Leafs despite playing 3 games less. A win Saturday would allow them to start pulling away which is crucial now that Ottawa and even the Bruins are starting to win. Everyone in the Northeast Division is over .500 and it is beginning to tighten up.

1. “…rubber barrage…”

Ewwww!

December 1, 2006 at 9:50 am

Leafs will be tough as always but i think we can win if we show up but thats a big “IF” some reason we never play to our ability against them but if we do it will be a blow out

3. #3 aurel1 says:
    December 1, 2006 at 9:58 am

The Habs played well in the first and I thought with a little luck they could have been up by a couple of goals. Latendresse continues to show that he belongs. What was Souray thinking in the third with the three cross checks when your a man down? Also Bonk looked slow last night.The goals against were a direct result of flagrent coverage mistakes. Lets beat the Leafs saturday.

4. #4 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    December 1, 2006 at 11:35 am

The Habs need some consistency! If they would just play for the whole 60 minutes… Easy for me say i guess, but they seem to snooze through a period; (Usually 2nd period last night the 3rd) then shift into gear trying to play catch up only to give up stupid goals with rush hockey, which takes the wind out of their sails.

Maybe some line shuffling? I would like to see line with Koivu and Kovalev together. (I know you may think I’m crazy, but every goal scorer needs someone to feed them) Add a little Latendresse for size and rebounds in front… who knows? Not that they’re not getting looks they need to put the Net, and there is a lot of different people producing, just on different nights!

Also, Is the NHL experimenting with Bouncy Ball material in the Puck?

In all, they can’t win them all, but there have not been too many games that they have not been in at the End… (Excluding the past few Aebischer games, which I think if he gets back to fundamentals and stay on his feet a little longer; he will turn things around!)

Saturday looks to be a good match-up. Both Toronto and the Habs coming off a tough loss, and jockeying for supremacy rights

Go Habs!

5. Yup, the Canes were all over us like a cheap whore last night. But that still didn’t stop Kovalev from his usual “hog the puck” clinic. I hate bashing the guys but his habit for doing this is really starting to tick me off bigtime.

6. #6 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    December 1, 2006 at 12:17 pm

I hear you Gumper… but I want to believe Kovalev’s just needs an outlet to feed the puck and someone that can handle it or maybe it’s just my pipe dream! Maybe he should take up figure skating on the side so he can get all the spins out of his system. But I still can help to think that with Denis Savard type moves and quick “one timer” set-ups, that his play is complementing the team. His stats aren’t so bad until looking at a +/- of -4; Maybe I should rethink my position?!?! But Latendresse is at -7… and he’s still in fan favor.

I do habor some of the same feelings on Kovalev, especially earlier in the season. But just when I think I going to give up hope for him, he goes and does some magic to change my mind!

AS for bashing the guys, it’s the only way to get the Fans opinion across. I prefer to call it constructive criticism.

7. The problem with Kovalev is that he’s not 100% percent present on every shift. And when he turns on the magic, the others aren’t good enough to follow him. So he ends up hogging the puck.

8. #8 HabsInBlood says:
    December 1, 2006 at 1:02 pm

Up until the 3rd we were being outshot, but we were playing a pretty good road game. Our shots on goal up to that point were of higher quality, in my opinion. The penalties just put us back on our heels too much. But then penalties come from pressure from the other team – so you have to give Carolina credit as they came out hungrier than us in the 3rd.

I used to live in Raleigh, and next to the Leafs, the Canes are the team I hate losing to the most. Last night was very difficult to take, but hey the sun came up today – we can’t win all of our games.

It seems that opposing teams are always pumped when they play the Habs – no game is ever easy for us. I figure Saturday will be no different. Having said that, I still hope we can wilt the Leafs and send them back to T.O. with their collective tails between their legs. That would be sweet. We haven’t lost 2 straight all year – so I’m hoping that trend continues.

9. #9 hab-dab-a-do says:
    December 1, 2006 at 1:31 pm

The habs just didn’t seem to want it bad enough last nite, It’s like that every game they get a couple shots that don’t go their way either off a post or just wide of the net and they seem to just give up, Carbo probley gave them hell afer that showing so I predict guns a blazing Saturday nite with the leafs. Did anyone notice the fans last nite, Looked like there was only 2500 or so, We get more than here in Halifax for our Quebec league games.

10. #10 Snake says:
    December 1, 2006 at 3:02 pm

THe penalty that SOuray got for roughing Williams of all people is a complete joke. A couple of little tabs and they put us down 2 men. SOuray should of just bi*ch slapped Williams after he got the penalty.

11. #11 Gumper says:
    December 1, 2006 at 3:34 pm

To coutNY_HabsFan & sedu:

I totally concur with the idea that he needs someone to be there on the same page. I also think that, to be a great player (like him), one has to be aware of his line mates and gel with them in a complimentary way regardless of the talent gap between them at this point in the season. I see the same attributes in Samsanov. Both styles are similar. I want to believe the reason is that they’re trying too hard to make things happen but they’re play strikes me as more selfish than co-operative.

There were two instances where Kovalev looked terrible. In third, on a powerplay, he cruised down the right boards and Souray was wide open in front of the net. He should’ve passed for the better scoring chance but instead, brought the puck to the side of the net and attempted to jam it in. He also looked absolutely brutal on the play which led to Carolina’s final tally.

12. #12 smiler2729 says:
    December 1, 2006 at 4:19 pm

SIDEBAR: John LeClair cleared waivers… can he still be useful? Should Gainey have picked him for the year as insurance, 3rd-4th liner, Powerplay… I dunno. Makes me go hmmmm. He is North American (translated: NOT European) and Montreal is kinda like home for him (okay an hour or so from St. Alban’s, VT) but it’d be a nice way to end a career with the team you began with and maybe a good playoff run (or Cup)… It’s snowing here, it looks like winter, it feels like hockey… there’s nothing better.

13. #13 kazmojo says:
    December 1, 2006 at 4:56 pm

The Canes seem to think that the way to beat Huet is to intimidate him. Maybe that’s the way they play in general? They won 4 straight in the playoffs after roughing him up incessantly (esp Brind’amour and his garbage goals). The refs swallowed their whistles in general last night, so Huet wasn’t going to get any help, even with guys lying on top of him, kneeing him in the back, etc. So if they’re not going to call that crap, they can’t call Souray’s little love taps (even if there were three of them).

14. #14 Habs#1 says:
    December 1, 2006 at 5:23 pm

smiler, John LeClair is absolutly terrible now. If he’s a healthy scratch on a young Penguins squad then there’s no way he’d be any good in Montreal.

Just for cryin out loud don’t let Toronto beat you in your own barn again.

And everyone who said I was crazy for Souray leaving may have a point. One of my teachers is a personal friend of his and when he was walking by I asked his what the chances were that Souray would come back. He lauphed and said one thing ‘money talks’. So if Gainey offers him a big enough deal he’ll probably come back. But if he dosen’t, he already owns a house in L.A. to.

So to eveyone who said I was wrong, you may just have a point.

AND I HATE ERIC COLE!!!!!!!!!

15. Just My Point Of View!!

What the habs need desperately is a real superstar! A go to guy that grinds,puts pucks in the net, and shows up every night no questions asked! The type of player that makes the others feel almost ashamed if they don’t put in their 100%. A $5 million a year brand name superstar,like Vinny Lecavalier , Ollie Jokinen or even Jaromir Jagr. I do believe that Chris Higgins could be our man, but only in a few years! We need someone whom is proven to be a winner (like shannahan) and whom would love to play here (unlike shannahan) Our problem is that our supposed superstar is super-gifted, self centered, mostly lazy and super egocentric…that represents close to 10% of our entire Salary cap! As much as I love the progress that M.Gainey and now M.Carbonneau have done with the team I believe that it is time for a change! We need to find our superstar and sacrafice the one that is taking his place and perhaps another player or two including one of his “countrymen� that can’t find the net and flutters around all over the ice like he’s going to do something but never does anything!

We had a problem a while ago which was taking stupid penalties. well I believe that if you take notice, the seem to have fixed the problem, last night I believe it even cost the a goal because bonk didn’t want to check the guy in front of the net. the officiating was the problem in the third not the lack of discipline! I ask you where was our “STAR� to light the fire after killing off 3 penalties in a row! Maybe we should try playing Huet as a center!!!

-Just a thought!

GO HABS GO !

16. #16 Snake says:
    December 1, 2006 at 6:58 pm

Has Brind’Amour always been soo ugly? MAybe thats why he has no fear IFO the net cause he cant get disfigured anymore then he already is!

17. #17 HabsInBlood says:
    December 1, 2006 at 8:08 pm

Interesting stat http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/tott.cgi?Tor&oppTeam=Mtl in last 2 rows under trends (3rd section). When outshot by the other team, the Habs are 10-3-3 – when outshooting the other team, the Habs are 3-4-0.

Remember, not all shots are equal.

18. #18 !Habs! says:
    December 1, 2006 at 11:34 pm

¡Hola y buenos días a todos ventiladores de Habs! ¡Venga únanos para diversión de bizcocho y partido!

19. #19 TonyMuerte says:
    December 2, 2006 at 2:00 am

So, what about Markus Naslund as a second center with Alex Kovalev?

20. Naslund is a natural left winger not a center

21. #21 smiler2729 says:
    December 2, 2006 at 10:35 am

I just read and saw the NHL jerseys that are coming out for every team! New designs included, and yes, they are fucking with the classic historical look of the Habs. Bettman is an idiot. Would he fuck with the Yankees’ pinstripes?? What is wrong with the jersey style worn now??? Sign me up for any petition.

December 2, 2006 at 11:03 am

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. This is unbelievable and the fans should boycott and not buy another jersey with some other logo-design. I’m hoping this is some kind of ruse….

Let’s beat the Leafs…at least make it an interesting game. Go Habs Go!