Rebound

• The Canadiens are coming off a lopsided loss against Ottawa followed by a night which saw two of their players arrested and put in jail overnight.

Time to forget all that completely and get two wins in Florida.

Will they be able to put it aside and get back on track? Continue chasing Ottawa for first while maintaining themselves in the middle of the playoff pack?

1. Well, if theres gonna be a rebound its gotta start tonight and carry on to Thurs night. If we don’t get points from TB and Flo, our 4 game stint next week against better teams is gonna be rough. Get the confidence back is number one…but Bob gotta hurry up and get a deal done soon or whoever this potential help is gonna be is gonna get there too late. After playing this well all year, are we really gonna die in the final stretch again and end up fighting for the bottom spot? And IF we get it…Ottawa is gonna bounce us out on our arses in the first round. Lets keep it rolling with a higher seed boys. GO HABS GO !!!

2. #2 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 12, 2008 at 3:08 pm

I agree that Gainey has got to try to get something done as soon as possible. It would be a shame to wait for the deadline to make a deal only to find the team fighting for even a playoff spot.

3. #3 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 12, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Despite what happened at the nighclub, I’d like to see O’Byrne put back in the lineup and have Brisebois sit. I’m not as opposed to using Brisebois as most, but I like the play of O’Byrne. Hopefully the Hammer is back in the lineup as well.

4. Hamrlik is out and Breezer is in. Can you spell loss?

5. Brisebois’ gotta sit…too many other good D-men to justify playing him.

Gotta get secondary scoring from somewhere without a doubt.

Carbo’s “linematching” has gotta be better. Our 4th line can’t play with stars

Sit Begin too…remember our grand winning streak was happening during injuries to Both him and Brisebois. Been average since their returns.

Gotta get some toughness in the lineup to look after our stars.

Koivu’s gotta start playing hockey or get moved. Is it worth having such a weak link on the ice, hurting the team, just because he’s liked?

Did I leave anything out guys? Feel free to add on to the teams priority list.

6. Montreal has to win tonight and I am very confident. Go Habs Go!! By the way, whos starting in goal?

7. No idea. Should be Price, though :)

8. It’s Huet tonight from what I heard on Radio.

9. yes, it’s Huet-the fastest goal in the west goalie!

10. #10 Ice Man says:
    February 12, 2008 at 7:56 pm

Montreal chasing Ottawa is like a Dog chasing it’s tail. You know what will happen right.

11. OMG Huet! can’t stop a beachball.

12. #12 Ice Man says:
    February 12, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Huet is picking up where he left off on Saturday.

It is time to ride Price for a while. Sit Huet on the bench for a few games to brighten him up.

13. habs have now lost 4 of their last 5. Thats what happens when: a) you don’t show up! 2) Huet can’t stop a shot! Welcome to the habs of last year!
    No playoffs guys!

14. #15 groundworking says:
    February 12, 2008 at 10:19 pm

A good hard well-played hockey game by the Habs against, clearly, one of the best teams in the league.

Oh wait a minute?! This was an NHL game?!

Ba-roooo-tle! Yet another embarassment. In their last three games, they’ve not only lost, but they’ve lost two of them to the two worst teams in the Conference.

Why is Smolinski not playing in a Men’s league?

15. #16 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 12, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Absolutely horrible effort.

16. #17 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 12, 2008 at 10:27 pm

And again, Koivu contributed absolutey nothing. I think it would be in the teams best interest to have him sit a few games to get his sh** together and have Higgins play center. I actually felt sorry for Higgins and Ryder tonight as they looked like they actually wanted to play hockey for a change and they had an invisible center.

17. #18 habsalltheway says:
    February 12, 2008 at 10:27 pm

People were saying earlier in the week that it is not a time to worry and that this is a different team then last year… well after tonight I think that is is definitely time to worry …we keep going like this then you can kiss the playoffs good bye…..4 out last 5 are losses and we are only 6 points out of 9th spot…TIME TO WORRY AND TIME FOR CHANGES ON THIS TEAM…

18. I am absolutely disgusted with this team. Is there any game this year that the habs have put in a 60 minute effort? Carbo is never able to motivate his players. he has to go!

19. Like Pactum said “the wheels have fallen off the bus”.Ome thing I noticed was the scrum after Komasarik’s hit in the first and how late Lapiere and Latenderness got there to help him out !This team has two balls :Komasarik and Kovalev! and then there’s Bull,after that …soooo soft.

February 12, 2008 at 10:29 pm

Well we had to hit a low at one point and here it is… let’s hope it does not last too long we cant afford a 6 game skid, good news was buddy from Atlanta is still hanging around the Habs games, could be a deal with Atlanta is not out of the question yet.

21. #22 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 12, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Xtra, you’re absolutely right. I know that trading Latendresse would probably come back to bite the habs in the butt, however he is one guy who in my opinion puts in as little effort as possible. And I would not be sad to see him move. He is still young and could have great potential, but someone needs to whip him to get him up to speed. And for his size, has absolutely non toughness.

22. #23 Ice Man says:
    February 12, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Some one said that:

“Carbo’s system will flop. Well it has happened. The time is here. Price should get the call down the stretch. Huet made some good saves because he was out of position but he cost the Habs the game when he let in 3 bad/soft goals. Huet has broken down. He was a backup in L.A. for a reason. Huet can’t handle a full season. That is for sure. Thanks to the Rangers the Habs can’t beat a beer league team now. They lost to Tampa & Toronto the two worse teams in the league. Come on boys want a joke. Carbo “The wonder Coach” changing lines in the 3rd again. It is what he does best “JUGGLE”. He should be in the Circus. Well then again this is a FREAK SHOW….”

The Guy who said that is a very smart Dude.

23. #24 the Rocket says:
    February 12, 2008 at 11:14 pm

Hes got to juggle his lines now..hes looking for the “koivu solution”..he cant put Kovalev and Saku together..he needs Kovalev to be with Kostitsyn…young S.kostitsyn looked good with Markov and Koivu against Ottawa…I think lapierre and Dandenault with Liovu is good to me…S.K with Kovalev..need Hamrlik and Komisarek with the Kiovu line..then its killer!..put Plakanek with Kovalev…Carbo is the coach!..respect that or go cheer for another team!
    You whiners wouldnt last one game if you played for me!..if you get a chance to hear any locker room discussion..let me know…theres reasons these guys play where they are appointed, because players bitch too!

24. Wow, what a friggin’ sloppy game! I hate that I’m limited to only a few televised Habs games a year and they all seem to be garbage. On the bright side, thank God we’re not as bad as last season (so far).

Did you see Kovy’s lip? Holy cow!

25. Lebeau: give them time. you know they say: give them enough rope and they’ll hang themselves! But I’d love to hang Huet and Carbo by the you know whats.

26. Everyone seems to be ragging on Huet for this one, and to be honest, I’m more than a bit confused. Yeah, he should have had the first goal, but he was great for the rest of the game: the second and third ones were a screen shot and a point-blank shot from the hash marks, respectively. Everyone complaining seems to have forgotten the many unbelievable saves he made to keep them in the game (10:08 of the first; 14:44, 17:56 of the second; 1:40, 16:10, 16:58 of the third). For all of which, I might add, he was in perfect position (not out of position, as Ice Man would have it – watch them for yourself). I’m not saying he’s been playing his best hockey recently, but anyone blaming this one on him has fallen quite a ways out of touch with reality. It may come as a news flash to some, but when the shot total in the last two periods is 27-12, you’re not going to win many hockey games. To be honest, I think we were lucky to lose by only a goal.

The only thing I’m more amazed by than the Huet lynch mob is the number of people clamoring for Carey “One-Mediocre-Game-Out-of-the-AHL” Price to take over. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great prospect, but let’s face it – if you want to talk about recent performances, Price’s .883 save % over his last five AHL games isn’t exactly scintillating. If Huet puts together another string of a few bad games then yes, maybe it’s time to worry. For the moment, though, it doesn’t look to me like anything more than a goalie going through a bit of a slump, which anyone who knows hockey realizes happens to all goalies. If you think Price is this season’s saviour, you’re delusional. I think we should look at our strengths, and realize that on far more occasions than not, Huet has been one of them.

27. p.s. “Riding Price for a while” would seem to imply that he’s on some kind of hot streak at the moment, which he patently isn’t…

28. hey rocket,
    Why do we split komi and marky, huh??????????????????

29. #30 habsofthefuture says:
    February 13, 2008 at 9:04 am

You guys must have been leaf fans in your previous life because that wasnt Huets fault last night he actually kept the game close with 33 saves on 36 shots.
    If you want to blame anyone blame that piece off poo Brisebois he gives up the puck in our end everytime and since Roman Hamerlik got sick our D went to shit with carbos best buddy.
    Oh and hello has any body seen the werabouts of the real Saku Koivu?

30. when Huet let in a soft goal at the end of the 1st period, totally demotivated the habs, and stopped skating after that. Huet is at best, a backup. he’s NOT a #1 goalie, and NEVER WILL BE! he’s never played more than 42 games. what the hell is Carbo doing playing him? he’s totally fatigued and out of gas. He can’t stop a beachball!

31. Geez, talk about traces of last year. Is this what we really got waiting for us again at seasons end? Get everyones hopes up cuz we can play great hockey for 5/8 of a season. Funny thing is…..this is the same lineup that got us this far, that won all of those games. Theres no injuries to crucial players, so no excuses there. Fact is, Kovys line, like any teams top lines can’t keep up that pace all year….theres gonna be games when they can’t score 3 goals a game….and when it happens, the harsh outcome of no secondary scoring shines through.
    If theres a move coming and Gainey waits til the last minute, it could be too late….in 2 weeks time we could very well be in 8th or lower.

Anyways, I will keep cheering for my team….Im not saying they’re in or out…how can you speculate on a Jeckyl and Hyde team like this. Bottom line is there no more grand hopes from me…Im all out. Up to the team where they wanna finish…..they win, thats great, they lose, oh well…Just let the chips fall where they may and see what unfolds. Nothing we can do here with a team who are , so far, undetermined to be a contender or a flash in the pan again. Have we only been seeing a mirage of a team who can play above expectations for 40 games again this year…the next 6 weeks will tell the story. So, if you feel like playing hockey the way you were a week and a half ago…GO HABS GO !!!

32. Man HJ is the biggest hater I’ve ever seen, it’s starting to get painful to read his posts. Every game you see him posting the same old comments, sounds like a broken record.
    Huet is one of the only players who showed up to the game yesterday. The game should have really been 5-2 or 6-2, he made some really big saves. When you’re looking to blame a loss on the goalie when the team generated so few shots on the worst team in the S-E conference, then you aren’t paying attention.
    Also, lay off with the playoff comments. Ottawa had maybe a 12 game bad sprint, but did you ever count them out of the playoff run?

33. All I know is we are losing …losing…losing and to good and not so good teams “which has given me a f#@king really bad case of turrets” I do not blame Carbo or the other coaches…I blame BOB GAINEY !!! He’s is way to laid back to be in charge of a pro sports team and would make a better scout!I’m not going to go into a tirade trying to explain myself,besides I’m way to pissed!Besides,whats to explain ,we are getting smoked every game ,plain and simple.Gainey stop sitting on you hands or step down!And trade for talent with size and toughness and heart.

34. #35 habsofthefuture says:
    February 13, 2008 at 12:47 pm

HJ what about the three huge saves he had in the second if your theory is correct those huge stops should have got 3 goals cuz that should have motivated the habs to light it up.Its the teams fault for losing and we do this every year we find a scapegoat to blame our losses on.Weve chased every goalie with talent out of town cuz of fans like you.Its funny cuz we only get two goals and 21 shots on net and its the goalies fault we lost.
    Plus the huet hatters allways mention his soft goals but what about all the huge saves he has made with the habS?
    Ps iam not saying huet has been great more like mediocre but neither has our team as a whole lately.

35. true the team isn’t playing well, but The goalie has to play much better. has to stand on his head and can’t allow ANY soft goals. we’re not the greatest scoring machine with only 1 line scoring. There’s just NO ROOM FOR ERROR.

36. #37 habsofthefuture says:
    February 13, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Yes Hj i completly agree with you,now lets get hamerlik back and bench the no shows/slowmos.

37. #38 Jaker1 says:
    February 13, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Has anyone noticed that since they called up Price for the Toronto game that Huet stellar performances have not been there. I think he has played well but not exceptional. Why would Gainey call Price up, I like to think it was to give Huet a rest not just for the Toronto game I hope. In one move they killed the confidence of two and maybe three gaolies. First off Huet knows Carey Price is the future #1 goalie in Montreal but Gainey not this year.If Huet needs a rest then rest him against any number of teams and put Halak in nets but don’t show him you have no confidence in him when it comes to Toronto and tell Halak you think he is a good backup as long as we don’t have to play you. After this goaltending move,I think our biggest problem going down the stretch will be our goaltending which was one of our strongest positions. Should have left Price in Hamilton to finish the year and let Halak have the odd game to give Huet a rest. As much as I like Price,he is not quite ready. Can you say Marc Andre Fleury (too early).

38. Internet speculation is rampant today as it was announced that Ryder will not play tonight in conjunction with Hossa and Waddell nowhere to be found for Atlanta team practice today. Seems even the coach didn’t know he ( Hossa ) was going to be absent.

source is CKAC this afternoon.

let the rumors fly….lol

39. Now its Ryder to SJ with a pick for Bernier…..sigh…

same source….CKAC

40. Make a trde!!PLEASE do SOMETHING get rid of SOMEONE for the sake of getting rid of SOMEONE … DAMN WE NEED SOME SHAKING UP!

I’m getiing TIRED OF BEING A HABS FAN!!!

Jesus thank god I’m not a leaf’s fan!

Go HAB….. Whatever!!!

41. last week the whole group of you so called HAB FANS were planing a victory route for the Cup. Now your all jumping back off of the Bandwagon. If they win tinite will you Fans(lol) be jumping back on? I think so eh.

42. #43 LeBeau says:
    February 13, 2008 at 8:23 pm

I too agree that Huet is not to blame here. So what if he’s never played more than 42 games? You’ve gotta start somewhere, don’t you? I think Huet is one of the calmest goalies I’ve ever seen, and he’s almost always in position. Yeah, he’s let in a few soft goals, but soft goals go in because the goalie was expecting something else and got caught off-guard. It happens.

I blame the Tampa Bay loss on sloppy-ass plays. How many give-aways were there in that game? The pass attempts were absolutely horrid.

As far as Price, I said it before the season started. I’m happier than a pig in mud that he’s our future goalie, but he should have started and finished in Hamilton this season. We’ve got no reason to rush him. Just like Jaker1 said…rushing him can ruin him.

43. #44 LeBeau says:
    February 13, 2008 at 8:26 pm

BTW…slightly off topic, but Komisarek gets my vote for MVP this season. Man, he puts everything into his game every night. I get fired up when I see him make a hit.

44. #45 groundworking says:
    February 13, 2008 at 8:30 pm

I agree on Komisarek. Komisarek, Markov and Kovalev are in my view the best players on the team–Plekanac is close and probably the nicest surprise.

The whipping mule, obviously, is Ryder. His career is over–he doesn’t work hard enough.

February 13, 2008 at 8:31 pm

LOL Ryder over ? One bad season and its over ? get a clue he will be back if not here somewhere else …

46. #48 Ice Man says:
    February 13, 2008 at 9:27 pm

groundworking.

Go back down to Mommy’s basement.

Ryder can wip your ass.

47. #49 groundworking says:
    February 13, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Ryder can’t, and never could, skate, pass, check or defend. The book is out on his shot. I wouldn’t bet on him coming back to his glory. Neither would Bob Gaigney. He gets 30 goals and a one-year contract.

He’ll stay in the NHL. Brian Smolinski is occupying ice in a Canadiens jersey and Ryder is getting scratched. This isn’t just a “bad” year. I’m Samsonovian.