Rebound

• How will the Habs respond to a demoralizing late 3rd period loss against their most hated rivals?

Cristobal Huet is playing again, a vote of confidence from Guy Carbonneau after Huet had a less than stellar game against Toronto.

Huet has played well this season except in his two starts against Toronto. There’s nothing to suggest he won’t come back and play his normal game tonight against the Sabres.

This is the last Habs home game before a 4 game road trip against all 4 of their Division rivals.

1. #1 coutNY says:
    November 5, 2007 at 5:12 pm

Very important to collect as many points possible with divisional play. Especially the ones that are struggling. Let’s not make the same mistake with Buff-at-an-all-time-low as we did with Atlanta or the laffs. Its danagerous facing a team with a losing trend. You never know when they’re going to catch fire… Teams are playing us tough because it no secret that we’re playing well. It a big boost for struggling team’s confidence to pi$$ on our parade, so we need to come out blazing as we did against phili. Altanta playing better, but I suspect the laffs will continue to dwindle. They always put everything they have against the habs and usually come up empty in the immediate games following.

2. #2 iceberg14 says:
    November 5, 2007 at 6:51 pm

very smart move by carbo to show the people who write ignorant comments about Huet that he is our #1 because he earned it…and letting a bad goal or 2 once in awhile after being a huge factor in our wins this year, is not reason to bench him
    if u do that, u create more pressure on him and a goalie controversy and the team will fall apart like last year greatjob carbo and huet~! go habs

3. #3 habs fanatic says:
    November 5, 2007 at 7:20 pm

I believe this month’s schedule, will tell the story for this year’s habs. Do bad, and the season is gone. Do well, and maybe finish i 8th place, if lucky. but lok out, here come the leafs. let’s face it: they played on Saturday minus 4 regulars, and still beat us. what does that say about our team? we are in desperate need of another goal scorer. Each line is incomplete. Ryder and Latendresse simply fill out their uniforms, that’s all. neither one will be around come the end of the season. Mark my words. Ryder will be traded, or lose him for nothing, because he’s unrestricted at the end of the season, and Latendresse, is simply NOT an NHL calibre player. He belongs in Hamilton.
    The depth everyone talks about, obviously does not include goal scorers, which we are very short of.

4. I’m listening to the game right now. I can’t hear anything cuz mtl’s fans are too loud. lol GO HABS!!!

5. I don’t agree with Kostitsyn with Kovalev. they never do anything together. I think Smolinski or Latendresse would be better.

6. #6 habs fanatic says:
    November 5, 2007 at 11:03 pm

Latendresse: in the 1st period, he had a breakaway, and never got a shot away.
    In the 2nd period: he tripped over the blue line, TWICE! Ha Ha Ha HA Ha. This guy should be playing in the MIDGET LEAGUE! He is just simply awful!
    and whatever line he’s on, he’s killing that line with his horrible play! he can’t skate! can’t shoot! can’t check! totally useless!

7. habs win! 2-0 huet gets shutout! great game huet!
    GO HABS GO!

8. #8 Jeff Poulin says:
    November 5, 2007 at 11:16 pm

We won, but if it was literally any other team in the East I think it would have been a loss. Huet, Plekanec, Smolinski, and Kostopoulos were the only players that I was impressed with tonite. Ryder was horrible as usual, and seems to be pulling a Val Bure. The guy has become terrible and is unapologetic about it. He is fit to be traded at this point. He’s filling a jersey and little more.

What was with Gaustad attacking Smolinski at the end? Horrible and bad sportsmanship. I live in Buffalo, and the team’s horrible attitude accurately reflects a team with uneducated fans who thought that the Sabres were going to the cup again. Don’t they know that Lindy Ruff is not reliable?

9. Good result & effort-mind you not from all players. So the players to trade, I’ve said that I think Tampa might have a look at what Montreal can provide for the services of Lecavalier. He hasn’t carried the team and so maybe with the right bait. Also I mentioned Sharks Patrick Marleau either directly or through a block buster trade…Looks like Ryder is playing to be moved….I see Jalak being shipped too. Just my 2 cents. Good results and not too panicky near the end. Also, stellar backstopping by Huet. That’s more like it. Even vs the Leafs, as pissed as I was on seeing those three goals go in, I have to give Huet the benefit of the doubt and allow for a bad or 2 games…he’s earned it!

He’s carried the team by far the most over the last 3 – 4 years. The talk of back up goalie should subside and you know giving both goalies ample opportunities is a good thing. So lay off and root for positives. I know I throw and rant too but do it with the likes of Kovalev (who’s being paid too much to not be heard from)…was he there tonight? I saw little glimpses of him during the Leaf game. Does he actually take a spot on the bench? If we would have the extra 1 or 2 goals (those ones that get through would not sour so much!!)

Go Habs Go….if they continue like this….wait a minute…where did all the talk of what’s his name…which guy is it again. Sour…Sour….pus…Souray. Oh yeah, too bad he’s recovering from something…Let’s see how long it takes him to dawn the jersey again. Last I saw Edmonton is still hurting. Look back I said they should have made a move for Cammalleri….too bad! Keep it up!

10. Hey where are the Huet bashers??? Can’t seem to find any….strange..

11. #11 iceberg14 says:
    November 6, 2007 at 10:38 am

I’ve been one of the only defenders of huet. LEt the shutout speak for itself..We are 8-3-3…He lets in 3 goals 2 which weren’t his fault and you want to crucify him….lay off!!! it doesn’t help….we are doing awesome this year largely because of him..our one and only superstar..don;t believe me? go check out his stats? they are all star calibre once again you people wanted to make him a back up////what about toronto’s goalies? roloson? kiprosoff…pulled last 2 games..luongo…I think I would be very happy with our goaltending and record not to mention brodeur
    I am sure next time we lose 3-2 Huet willl be blamed again because you weren’t perfect and single handlely win the game like you did last night, but no matter what happens, I respect your talent and realize you are our #1 and should be all season
    when you sign on with someone else next year for a huge contract, you’ll be missed…

12. #12 joburg says:
    November 6, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Good job Huet !!!!!!
    however…once again a poor effort by the offense…..only one goal for us,
    the empty netter is a “gimmee”, so in effect they scored one goal, that is
    not going to win many hockey games, Thanks to Huet for winning with such a
    performance, once again HUET saved the day……

13. #13 Jaker1 says:
    November 6, 2007 at 4:30 pm

Good point habsblog.yesterday Huet was being shipped to Siberia. This guy is a good steady goalie who will buy time for Carey Price. I hope Carboneau plays him against the Maple Leafs the next time they play Toronto.He will shut them out as well.

14. #14 habs fanatic says:
    November 6, 2007 at 5:44 pm

jaker: Huet NEVER beats Toronto. Look at his record vs leafs. Price will without a doubt be playing ALL games vs leafs! Maybe it’s a mental thing, but Huet saves his worst games for the leafs!

15. #15 slyburger says:
    November 6, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Dont forget about our recent blowouts. Our team knows how to score goals. Some people see one bad game and think this team is doomed. You say 1 goal doesn’t win hockey games. pfff it sure did last night, and after games like 6-1 and 7-4, i wont complain.

burger out

16. I actually have a feeling that the habs will hand Ottawa their second loss of the season.

17. #17 Shut UP says:
    November 7, 2007 at 6:36 am

All HUet doubters need to shut their mouths.

18. #18 joburg says:
    November 7, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Slyburger—– make you a deal
    every game Habs win when scoring one goal I owe you $5 every game they lose when only scoring 1 goal you owe me $5. Deal ???

Lets face it, that one goal is not going to win many hockey games
    do we agree

19. #19 habs fanatic says:
    November 7, 2007 at 3:26 pm

Garth Murray on waivers. If he clears, he goes down to Hamilton. It will probably open up a spot for Lapierre. Maybe Latendresse will be demoted also. I hope so.

20. I think Huet is a great goalie. Price is good too. but I think that Huet can play like this until he’s 38 yrs old.
    he’s gotta long ways to go.

21. u dumbasses. Latendreese obviously won’t go down to the minors. He’s a very good young player and the second the habs send him to hamilton he will be picked up by another team and there goes another part of our young core.

22. #22 habs fanatic says:
    November 7, 2007 at 10:26 pm

Hey Stuart dumbass: Latendresse a good player? Ha Ha . Another team would pick him up? even bigger laugh Ha Ha Ha HA Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Would do you think he’s being benched? Because he’s playing so well? Figure it out. It’s because he’s crapping all over this team! he can’t skate! he can’t score! and can’t even check! even tho he’s big, he does nothing with his size! Almost every habs fan(except you) wants him off this team!
    He never should have been put on this team! he’s not ready for the NHL. The only reason he’s still on this team, is because of his size, but not for much longer! You’ll see. Hope he like the cuisine in Hamilton, because it’s going to be a long stay there!

November 7, 2007 at 10:51 pm

I hate to say it guys but latendresse is doing more harm than good on this team.Like the previous post said he could very well be the poorest skater in the league,i think even antropov is a better skater than him and thats no joke.He doesnt use his size nearly enough and well his points speak for themselves.I know alot of people love him because they think he is going to be the next big french star for the habs but i dont think he will pan out to be much.Dont get me wrong i know he is young and has alot to learn but intill his skating improves i think he is destined for an AHL career. GO HABS GO

24. Hey , give the young guy a brake ,would you guys,Lats will get better…now Ryder….??????another story????what the f@ck happend to him????

25. and the story about Ryder. I never see him battle for the puck. He’s starting to play like kovalev-without the good moves.He looks kinda lazy, and he should use his weight to his advantage cuz he’s not the smallest guy out there. Higgins looks small eh? well still see him battling

26. Latendress has to be the guy who plants himself in front of the other team’s net ‘a la Esposito’ and check and hit anybody around him (with the puck). Now if he can take this and work to excel at it then he can stay up and be productive. (Chris Nilan type of player). Otherwise Lapierre should be promoted. As for Ryder I suspect he got exchangemetoawinningteamitis. He must of got it watching Roy replays (I suspect he broke into the video room when no one was looking and got infected!). We should accomodate with a trade to both San Jose – Patrick Marleau or Tampa Bay – Lecavalier or perhaps call on Teemu and see if we can encourage him to dawn the red, white and blue.

The Habs have been playing over their heads and the goalies have been a huge part of this. Give credit where its due and Huet has earned it and Price will continue the trend. There’s a great deal of time for both to share the spotlight. Just got to get that big centreman and finishing off player (that’s what Ryder used to do now I don’t know what his problem is – other than that disease thing). Oh well continue on…I see great things from Higgins, Grabovski, Kostitsyn and Pleks…I think Kovi has got to go in large because he doesn’t help on a constant basis. I think he’s catching that illness too! Go Habs Go!