Revenge of the Barf

• If the Habs lose one more game I think I’ll get the flu. I may not get the flu but I’ll definitely puke.

Blame it on the flu or blame it on playing badly, either way the results are the same. The Canadiens are hurting bad and they need to stop the bleeding.

The Habs are in serious need of a win to end their streak and get things back on track before sliding down the slippery slope that is the Eastern Conference.

How will they come out? Slow, sick, tired, weak……or vengeful of their most horrid showings of the season and ready to punish Atlanta?

Tonight won’t be an easy start against the Thrashers. The Thrashers traditionally never did that well in Montreal but they are an all together different beast these days. The Habs are 7-2-0-1 in their last 10 against Atlanta.

Radek Bonk was injured in the Rangers game and will miss his second consecutive game, which breaks up the Canadiens best defensive line and will force Chris Higgins to play with Mike Johnson and Tomas Plekanec. Even Higgins is struggling lately seemingly not being able to find the right fit.

Will it work? No one knows but at this point but Carbonneau has to mash up the roster to get something going. There are far too many underachievers and idle players.

Carbo used 19 different line combos in Sunday’s loss, perhaps tonight we’ll see 20+.

1. #1 joshtm says:
    January 9, 2007 at 5:04 pm

Its bad enough that Carbo can’t seem to keep on line on the ice long enough to actually form a play when the habs are healthy….talk about making a major rookie mistake….

2. verbal seepage….kind of reminds me of Bob McKenzie..

nuff said..

Izzy out

3. #3 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 9, 2007 at 5:26 pm

I suspect a slow start with the new lines that are trying to conjeal with new mates. They haven’t practice together again today, timing may be off, but I think things step-up after a few shifts. GO HABS GO

4. #4 anonymous says:
    January 9, 2007 at 5:28 pm

Where is the defense?
    Huet is getting no help out there

5. #5 joshtm says:
    January 9, 2007 at 5:37 pm

What a joke, four defensemen on and they couldn’t stop a rush into their own zone….oh wait, cause Carbo only had them on for five seconds and then he had to change the lines…..no wonder Montreal can’t score…..

6. #6 high 4 habs says:
    January 9, 2007 at 6:09 pm

I don’t understand why Higgins needs to play on the 3rd line. Yes, Bonk isn’t playing, but there are enough defensive players to be put on the 3rd line. Carbo, DON’T BREAK UP THE 1ST LINE! It’s the only offensive line you have! Knowing this info, the habs will lose tonight! there won’t be ANY OFFENSE!

7. #7 Jack Tornton says:
    January 9, 2007 at 7:01 pm

I read several comments in the previous window. I got an idea and I would like to share it with you guys.

Next year why don’t we leave all the broken down players such as Kovalev, Samsonov, rivet, downey, niinimma go away from the team. We will replace these players with our yougsters: Grabvosky, Kostystin, Latendresse, Cote…. What I am trying to say is that we will save some money to aquire a star that might be available as a free agent or even two.

That would be amazing!

Lines:

Ryder-koivu-higgins
    Latendresse-Datsyuk-Kostistyn( or maybe grabvosky)
    Johnson-Pleckanek-Perezoghin
    Grabvosky(Murray)-Lapierre-Begin

D-men
    (thers too much confusion in this area, let’s leave it to Bob!)

8. Just heard via RDS that four of the habs …Souray, Koivu, Ryder and Markov didnt make it to the rink on time for the pre game warm up.
    Ryder was driving……and missed the exit.

9. #9 Habs#1 says:
    January 9, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Those are four huge pieces to the Habs puzzle that will hopefully be able to go at full stride tonight. Maybe Ryder will take a cap or a map this time?

10. #10 high 4 habs says:
    January 9, 2007 at 7:57 pm

Maybe ryder should put one of those navigation systems in his car. it would give him directions on how to get to the Bell center. Though it doesn’t seem to matter, because he doesn’t seem to know what to do there, once he arrives.
    Better still he should put a magnet on his stick to keep the puck there, because it’s normally doesn’t stay there. Is it possible he drinks before each game? because he can’t shoot or skate straight!

11. #11 high 4 habs says:
    January 9, 2007 at 8:06 pm

I just read in the Montreal Gazette that, on Wednesday Murray comes back, and as a result the habs will send Lapierre and Grabovsky back to Hamilton. I hope that’s not the case. Sending those players down again, would be a huge, huge, HUGE MISTAKE! And the fans will be very angry if Carbo does that! the player going down should be Murray. too bad he didn’t break his hand!

12. The Habs have a young kid down with the Bulldogs by the name of Duncan , Milroy plays right wing. He’s played 37 games and here’s his record. 16 goals, 18 assist for 34 points. why don’t the Habs bring this kid up.they have to send a message to the players who are not putting any points on the board and the way to do this bring this kid up and set up the lines like this and see how things go for a game or two if it works stay this way. too bad for the one’s that were not contributing. Here we go

Samsonov..koivu..kovalev
    Latenddresse..Lapierre..milroy
    Higgins..Plekanec..Ryder
    Perezhogin.. Grabouski..johnson

Look man when you’re losing try anything til something works, too late to be trying line combinations come march. if you don’t have your lines set by the end of Feburary it’s over…….

13. #13 Habs#1 says:
    January 9, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Congrats are in order for Saku Koivu! 500th carrer point. Great job by the captain. And he saved a goal!

Olé, Olé, Olé, Olé. Ryder finally breaks out, Latendresse ends his slump, Huet setteled down, Koivu had a good game and Souray was named a starter to the All-Star team. Great night. What a third period comeback!

It still burns me that Andrew ‘fluke’ Raycroft got more votes then Huet for the All-Star team.

Now with Philly up next it’s time to get on a role. The believers knew they had it in them.

14. #14 stevejur says:
    January 9, 2007 at 11:23 pm

Plekanecccccccc. Good job buddy, always gives 110%.
    Koivu “the great” what a leader. Congrats on 500
    Finally the bleeding stops and Michael Ryder finally scores.

15. #15 HABMAN says:
    January 9, 2007 at 11:38 pm

Good to be back on the winning track again. The Habs played with alot more jump tonight. Great to see Saku get his 500th point tonight. CONGRATS SAKU! Grabowski reminds me of Pavel Bure he’s so fast. GO HABS GO!!!

16. #16 Jack Tornton says:
    January 9, 2007 at 11:43 pm

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah baby! Now we’ re talking. Bring on the leaf fans.
    Hey leafs fans, it’s pretty logical and simple to understand that when winter hits leafs fall.

Congrats koivu 500 points

17. #17 high 4 habs says:
    January 9, 2007 at 11:46 pm

the drought is finally over. maybe this game will now jump start Ryder. Good job coming back in the 3rd period. Boy, did we need this win. Hrabovski reminds me of Petrov, with lots of speed. now he just needs to learn how to finish, and put the puck in the net. Ok guys, time to get on a roll again.
    Hey Ottawa is coming on strong. look out for them, because we play them Saturday in Ottawa.

18. #18 Snake says:
    January 10, 2007 at 1:01 am

Whew! What a big win!

Biggest win of the season no doubt. I was a little worried when it was 2-0 but still had faith. Good game start to finish. And more then one PP.

HOwever Rivet continues to hurt our team. Has he had the flu all year? WE should unload him right now and free up some cap space. The biggest joke is He and SOuray both make the same amount of money this year. HAHA

19. #19 habs phan says:
    January 10, 2007 at 1:07 am

i’m in a great mood again!!!! weird.

20. Eeerrriieeee! It seems to me that everytime someone shoots off their mouths on this website about a Habs’ player before a game that player goes on to make them look like a know nothing idiots. Great game, Michael Ryder.

Nice posts, Izzy, Habs#1, high 4 habs. Habs #1, I thought you might have learned this lesson a few weeks ago when you spouted off about Plekanac before a game in which he ended up scoring two, and being the number #1 star of the game.

Just an observation…

21. #21 Snake says:
    January 10, 2007 at 2:06 am

I think Pleks deserves alot of credit for his play in the last 5 or so games. NOt only is he beginning to produce he is making plays all over the ice. A real solid all around player. Keep it up.

Habs1: No lny if you could get Rivet going, but I have a feeling it wont be as easy as Ryder or Pleaks to prduce after your criticism. Worth a shot though.

22. #22 Snake says:
    January 10, 2007 at 2:11 am

COngrats to SOuray for being nominated as a starter. Its been awhile since we had a player voted in let alone a defenseman.

Reasons why Sheldon deserves this:
    1)PP monster
    2)His much improved defensive play
    3)Paired up with possibly the worst defender this year.
    4)Leadership
    5)Toughness

23. #23 smiler2729 says:
    January 10, 2007 at 2:14 am

I never doubt this team, unlike a lot of you babies.

24. Sorry guys, but I have to say this!!
    Has anyone else knows that NHL.com blackballs the habs ALL THE TIME. For example just tonight, against Atlanta, Ryder’s 3 point were the pivotal points that WON US THE GAME. And yet, first star of the night is given to Ovechkin for his 2 goals and 1 assist against PHILLY in a 6-2 game!! Does anyone else not see the injustice in this Bullshit!
    Not to mention, ive noticed on other night thats they dont award stars to our players.
    I wanted to write to some1 over at nhl.com, but those sly bastards dont leave you a way to contact them, and when u click the little feedback link at the bottom, it brings to the FAQ. Garbage website.

25. #25 Snake says:
    January 10, 2007 at 8:02 am

ITs a pretty pathetic site in general.

26. #26 Snake says:
    January 10, 2007 at 8:03 am

Stars of the night:

3) Ovechkin
    2) Ryder
    1) Rivet :0

27. #27 HABMAN says:
    January 10, 2007 at 9:51 am

Faz, I wouldn’t waste my time on NHL.COM since it is primarily a US based site and we all know that Americans know absolutely F%&K ALL about hockey. I would be more concerned about HNIC, TSN, Glenn Healy, Greg Millen and the anti-Hab negative commentary from all of them. I have written to HNIC a few times and they give me the same crap, that they are not biased in any way shape or form, BUT whenever they show a Hab game in english (VERY RARELY) the commentary is SO one-sided against the Habs that I get so disgusted I turn it to RDS. Even some Leaf fans I know (some aren’t that bad guy’s) think it is getting out of hand. The Habs will just have to go out and win that 25th cup to shut those stupid bastards up I guess. GO HABS GO!!!

28. #28 joshtm says:
    January 10, 2007 at 10:55 am

It was a great game, a lot of give and go, classic Gainey style, I wonder if Bob was remotely ordering Carbo when to change the lines…no wonder Carbo had his finger to his ear most of the time or Jarvis was and then speaking into Carbo’s ear….kinda makes you wonder if the Coaching staff is on Gainey’s hit list…..

If it wasn’t for Kovalev and Koivu, Ryder wouldn’t have had half the chances and Sheldon was playing more as an offensive winger instead of defense.

Again, the Habs goalie saved the night, as the defense was not there. Why do you think the NHL.com doesn’t like the Habs? Cause they are not an allaround team.

29. #29 smiler2729 says:
    January 10, 2007 at 11:21 am

NHL.com sucks. Try thn.com.

30. #30 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 10, 2007 at 12:40 pm

28 joshtm – not trying to call you out, but I disagree…

Montreal is not an all around team??? We have a good goalie, Good D (contrary to what others thing), Phenominal Special teams and Average Offense. The reason why we do not get the recongition is for that reason exactly… We have no individual standouts, the we spread the scoring and shutdown scoring powerhouses to keep the games close. There are no individual stars because they play as a team. Its hard to put a name with the organization because someone new emerges on every night as a contributor. I’ll probably take some knocks calling our offense average, but there are not too many games where they have not scored. The NJ game was the first shutout in nearly 2 years.

anyway,I am glad Ryder broke out of his funk… Lets hope he does catch Samsonitis, where if we remeber in Boston, he broke out of his funk with a pair of goals and continued to struggle to find the net ever since. Not trying to be negative or jinx his play, because we need his offense. It intrical piece of Koivu’s and the teams production when playing on the first line (the scoring line).

Phili is next, we need to keep the ball rolling to gain some momentum going the later part of month facing some of the NHL’s toughest teams. it be nice to gain on Buffalo while putting some distance from the surging Senators.

31. ROB…..

#1 I have never posted anything about Plekanics on this site.

#2 I absolutely love Ryder and have said so many times on this site. I also said I was making fun of him missing the net a lot lately and was trying to laugh & smile my way through it. Those who understand what they read know this…..
    and

#3 I’m not sure how my joking about Ryder and trying to get a laugh all the while telling everyone I was doing so makes me look like a “know nothing idiot”. After reading and looking at the grammar in your post, I believe it is possible you do not know any better.If this is correct I am truly sorry.

#4. I have never yet arrived on this site with the sole intention of being negative or picking people apart for sport ( see joshtm ). I believe you DONT want to be my first.

Izzy…aka know nothing idiot

out

32. Good win,the lines were clicking,was happy to see Johnson playing good without Bonk. Loved the intensity in the eye’s of Lapierre and Plecanec,shades of the Rocket.Still say we need more size on the D. Philly should be a rout,better be!Keep it F&#@ING rolling boy’s,GO HABS GO.

33. Right HABMAN, it’s just i’d like to see some Habs players earn some points towards winning the trophy at the end of yr based on Star points.

34. #34 hab-dab-a-do says:
    January 10, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Hi guys it me Mike Ryder along with Alex and Sammy can’t you all just get along and get behind us as a team, Sammy says it would really help him out,anyway so long for now gotta catch the plane to philly

35. Grabovski sent down to Hamilton today.

36. #36 joshtm says:
    January 10, 2007 at 4:07 pm

Anyone notice how the team picked up when Sammy was sidelined?

37. #37 joshtm says:
    January 10, 2007 at 4:20 pm

Usually an all around team means a defense that stops shots on net, stops rushes into its own zone and keeps players from the blue hash marks of the crease….unfortunately Montreal’s defense does none of that. A typical Montreal game has all five of the other team in Montreal’s zone, did I say five, oh yes, on some nights the other team’s goalie shoots on the net, that is how bad Montreal’s D is right now. If it wasn’t for the linesmen, heck the other team would basically spend all night in the Montreal zone….thank god Kovalev, Koivu and Grabosvki save the day. Of course now that Grabby is sent down who knows….what is with this hate/love relationship Gainey has with his rookies that he had nothing to do with in their drafts….

38. #38 Mark LOVES the Habs says:
    January 10, 2007 at 4:22 pm

Habs looked very sharp last night so maybe that virus was the main reason for the 3 losses in a row. I think they enjoy playing the free wheeling teams like Atlanta moreso than the trap happy teams like the Devils or Minnesota Wild. I’m a Ryder fan and said so in a couple previous blogs. Someone took issue with my claim that Ryder has soft hands but the guy is a goal scorer. He has that knack for getting open and creating scoring opportunities. He may have been gripping the stick a little tighter in recent games but I said he would turn it around(although one game does not make a season).
    Kovalev and Sammy still trying to do it all on their own(even on the PP).
    Congrats to Sheldon for making the all-star team. Huet should be there too!!
    Go Habs GO!!!!

39. #39 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 10, 2007 at 5:05 pm

The D has it rough joshtm… I believe they’re being encouraged to join the rushes to try to spark some offense, which worked last night, 3 defenseman had points last night. Bigger guys playing alot of minutes like Souray, Markov, and Komi will sometimes get caught up ice and out of position. Leading to penalties or positional mistakes putting more pressure on net-minder. Combine that with the NO TOUCH or you’ll get 2:00 new NHL… and I can see why D-men do what they do (for the most part). The key to a good D is to put the pressure on with offense!

I believe once the offense sparks, the pressure on the D will lighten and a happy balance will result.

40. #40 Jack Tornton says:
    January 10, 2007 at 5:12 pm

Joshtm:

Have you ever been satisfied with the Canadiens. Since the season started, you keep on complaining about everything about Habs: players, coaching staff, GM…
    Usually, I’m not complaining about what people say in this blog, but seriously you, you make me feel bad about the team. Whenever I’m happy, and sit down to read a couple of articles, and ther goes your articles. Nothing but complaining. I’m not saying you’re a bad person: i’m trying to say stay cool and reduce your negative comments. Try to focus more on the good sides of the team because no team is perfect. Well let’s take Anaheim as an example: They lost their fourth consecutive game yesterday.

Montreal is a great team, and enjoy the good moments they make us live.

41. Quick ,some-one please take out Murray’s other hand and get Grabovski back dam -it.I was going to say ” take out downey in the back of his head” but you would only break the 2+4 . We’ll see Grab real soon,U can bet on it!

42. #42 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 10, 2007 at 5:41 pm

Oh yeah joshtm, I do agree with the comment “a sidelined Sammy things picked up”. I do not think SAmmys style of hockey is on the same page as the rest of the team. He has to carry-in and stick handle style while it seems the rest of the team plays a dump and fore-check trap. He usually ends up holding on too long to the puck with nobody in position because they’re taught to go to the boards for the fore-check instead of to the net.

43. #43 high 4 habs says:
    January 10, 2007 at 6:06 pm

Samsonov, in no way shape or form, fits this team. he must go! he is a cancer here, and his frustration is starting to affect his teammates. At this point he has to be traded irregardless of what we get in return, be it draft picks or minor leaguers. I don’t care. get rid and replace him with Grabovsky. I’m not saying Grabovsky is the answer, but Samsonov is definitely the PROBLEM!

44. NOW THAT’S A TUFF TRADE TO MAKE!!!

45. #45 snake says:
    January 10, 2007 at 6:50 pm

The only team that would have any interest in Samsonov right now would be Detroit. To get that 2nd center we need we will have to give up one of our young players. I for one would do it mainly because I want to be cup contenders thsi year. Im not too worried about 2013 right now.

46. #46 Jack Tornton says:
    January 10, 2007 at 9:49 pm

…………and this 2ND centre would be………DATSYUK?????????

We’re addind some spices to our trades, aren’t we?

47. #47 Jack Tornton says:
    January 10, 2007 at 9:50 pm

I don’t mean trades, I meant rumours!

48. #48 Habs#1 says:
    January 10, 2007 at 10:09 pm

Detroit will not trade Datsyuk unless Souray is involved. That’s who they’re interested in. I for one believe that the PP would be abysmal without the cannon on the point.

Chicago is another team however that is rumored to be interested in Sammy.

49. #49 Kazmojo says:
    January 10, 2007 at 10:56 pm

coutNY_HabsFan, I loved all your posts. Your first post esp was right on, although it took more than a few shifts. The Habs scored all 4 goals in the last 25 mins of the game.

What was also impressive was the lack of reliance on special teams. First three goals were of the 5-on-5 variety.

Saw on RIS that Grabovski was sent to Hamilton, and Lapierre practicing with Kovalev and Samsonov. Does that mean Plekanec is now on the third line, where his talents are better used (esp faceoffs)?

50. #50 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 11, 2007 at 12:05 am

I fear Lapierre might be lost next, sent down when Bonk returns against the Senators. I think has been a great fit for the Habs. He’s not afraid to dig and cause havic front of net. We were missing a gritty Center. It’s sad to lose Grabby, he had a few eye opening shots on net. I do not quite remember him saving the defense vs. Altanta?? But I can see how he can develop into an offensive force.

Let’s kick the Flyers while they’re down. Piss on Forsberg’s triumphet return. Lets make regret not calling it quits while he had the chance.