Round 2: Habs & Flyers

• Initial thoughts?

First thing that comes to mind….regular season record.

The Canadiens 4-0. Undefeated against the Flyers.

Deja vu?

1. #1 Senet 1 says:
    April 23, 2008 at 8:05 pm

DieHard Habs Fan:

Well I guess I would have to ask this question who in the top two lines would you have sat out? the Kost brothers played really well and Kov, Koivu and Higgins were great. He would not fit on the checking line so those three are out. That only leave Lappierre, Dandy and Striet. He could have taken Dandy’s place but then we are giving up the defensiveness of that line and besides that line is not there to score goals but we will take any we get and then all he is going to get is 6-8 minutes again????

2. #2 Senet 1 says:
    April 23, 2008 at 8:12 pm

DieHard Habs Fan:

Breezer has sucked and sucked. He gives the puck away 10 times every game but he scores one goal and a couple of assist and he he great all of a sudden.

People in here need to wake up.

Again I have to disagree, now I am not a Brisebois fan but there are very few that will agree that he cost us any games in this series, the only bad game he had in my opinion was game seven where he DID give up the puck in some key situations. Personally I do not like him and would bring Obryne back in early in the playoff, but he cannot say Brisebois had a bad series. He had five points, a game winning goal and play pretty consistent defense for the most part, If you check back on one of my earlier blogs last week I mentioned as much as it pained me to say it Brisebois was one of our best defenseman when Markov played poorly, Komy was still playing hurt and out of shape and Striet also was having a bad game coming back from his injury too soon.

Sorry but you just cannot make a case for Ryder, I hope he gets another shot in the next series because I believe he can play if he wants to but he has to show the coach that he deserves to be there before he gets anymore ice time. In other words he has to be a team player.

3. #3 groundworking says:
    April 23, 2008 at 8:20 pm

I don’t think the Kostitsyn brothers handle an intense physical game too well. They don’t shy away from a few bumps here and there, but they were absent in games 2-6 of the Boston series. They didn’t turn it around until Game 7, when they came out flying like they did in Game 1.

Lapierre in my view has solidified his spot on the Habs lineup with his work ethic. This guy wants to win, and that’s the end of it. Every shift he’s out there giving 100%. As for Ryder… and I don’t know what the problem is with Latendresse. I get the sense that he has yet to find “his game” literally–he thinks he’s one kind of hockey player and yet his skill set is built for a different game. I think he needs to hit the gym and prepare himself mentally for a power game rather than a finesse game.

Habs in 5.

Go Habs!

4. #4 groundworking says:
    April 23, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Also nice to see fans of other team’s posting on the site. Looking outside of one’s team is a good way for them, and us, to get a better sense of the league. I mean, that’s the problem with Toronto. They appear to have no sense in Toronto of anything other than their own team, and thus Toscala is considered a “great goalie” because he is better than Raycroft, and Tucker is considered a “great hockey player” because he is better than Carlo Colliacovo.

5. #5 Senet 1 says:
    April 23, 2008 at 8:27 pm

25 Adriana Fagano
    Posted on April 23rd, 2008 at 1:41 pm. About ‘Round 2: Habs & Flyers’.

I was hoping we would lose to Boston so Gainey would address our needs for a dominant center and power foward. Now, if we lose to Philly we still may obtain whats needed to be a legit contender.

O Adriana, I agree that we need that dominant centerman, by the way so does Gainey, however, where do you suggest we get him from, there are only so many in the league and right now none of them are available. If you are going to get a Dominate centreman, he has to be able to do the following, be a tream leader, score 25 or more goals and 70 points, win 60% faceoffs and be able to hit when required to hit. There are not many of those centreman out there, Vinny comes to mind but he is not available and I am not sure we can handle his 7.5 M salary. Any if we were able to trade for him who are we going to give up? It would have to either be one of our top defenseman or two of our top forwards or a good chuck of our youth. Not sure we can afford to pay the price, what we can do is trade up in the draft, or look for a free agent that can help. But I am sure of one thing we can better afford to pay him if we can find him the farther we go in the playoffs, the playoff gate receipt are the gravy the more nights you have the more financially you can afford things the following year. So getting by Boston probably was worth another 3-4 Million in money we will have to spend next year on players. That is why some teams in the states can afford to pay big salaries because they get the playoff gates that we have not had for the last few years. Fortunately we have an owner who does not mind spending a little of that extra money.

6. My name is mud
    Not to be confused with bill or jack or pete or dennis
    My name is mud and its always been
    cause Im the most boring sons-a-bitch youve ever seen
    I dress in blue-yes navy blue
    From head to toe Im rather drab except my patent shoes
    I make em shine, well most the time
    cept today my feet are troddin on by this friend of mine
    Six foort two and rude as hell
    I got to get him in the ground before he starts to smell
    My name is mud

My name is mud, but call me alowishus devadander abercrombie
    Thats long for mud so Ive been told
    Told that by this sonsabitch that lies before me bloated blue and cold
    Ive got my pride, I drink my wine
    Id drink the finest except I havent earned a dime in several months
    Or were it years
    The breath on that fat bastard could bring any man to tears
    We had our words, a common spat
    So I kissed him upside the cranium with an aluminum baseball bat
    My name is mud

7. #7 Senet 1 says:
    April 23, 2008 at 8:52 pm

groundworking

I agree what you said about Lats and Lappierre, The Kost brothers I think maybe you are being a little too hard on them, Andre is a goal scorer and he would be better if he had a linemate that played with an edge so that other players would not take liberties, as for Sergie he likes the rough going and he showed it every chance he got, he played that way with the London Knight in Junior too and you also have to remember they did not bring him up to later in the season, so he still is getting his feet wet. However, when the brother play on the same line it seems to motive Andrea more and big brother tend to play more agressive with littel brother there to compliment each other, in fact I like that line with Plex, lets see how they handle the heavy going in the philly series.

I think there was a reason why both did not play up to their potential in the earlier going, lets deal with Sergie first, he played on a line with Higgins and Ryder, Higgins seemed lost a centre and Ryder did not respond either so it was hard for Sergie being the junior player on the line to get anything going either, one thing though he did not shy away for the corners or the heavy hitting. When Koivu came back the first the line seemed to be better but Koivu still was to ready to play up to his potential and that has to hurt the rest of the line.

As for Andre, I believe that both he and PLex were waiting for their leader to show up and Kovy seemed to disappear, I think both of them counted on Kovy too much and did not perform because of that. When Sergie was moved to that line now they had to perform or be non existent and Andrea was motivated because Sergie was on this line too.

That is how I see it anyway.

8. Sometimes bored and sometimes lonely
    Pimple faced and rather homely
    He wasn’t much for socializin’
    The TV kept a mesmerizin’

In one ear and out the other
    Picked up a trick from his older brother
    Got him a can of sniffin’ sauce
    Pinned his mind up on a cross

Lacquer head knows but one desire
    Lacquer head sets his skull on fire
    Lacquer head knows no in betweens
    Huffin’ on bags of gasoline

Sniffin’ paint since the seventh grade
    She was high on gin and gatorade
    On turpentine she lost her luck
    Fell in front of a speeding pick-up truck

He was a boy of soft demeanor
    And he loved his carburetor cleaner
    The vapor made a sweet aroma
    He sniffed himself into a coma

Lacquer head feeds his one desire
    Lacquer head sets his brain on fire
    Lacquer head knows no in betweens
    Huffin’ on bags of gasoline

9. #9 habs4life says:
    April 23, 2008 at 9:17 pm

We have to respect the fact that English is not their native language. Speaking before microphones is totally different from daily chatting. So, that could be the reason (as Habs fans) we see less “blablabla…” from the Euro players than from local players.

How many times you see Markov talking on TV? How many times you DON’T see Higgins talking on TV??? But the Euro players rather communicate with Fans with their actions on the ICE.

(like Daisuke Matsuzaka first coming to Red Sox, I don’t think his English was good enough to manage to communicate, but SPORT language the same)

10. #10 Senet 1 says:
    April 23, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Frog, I think you are on the wrong blog site, I hear the leafs are looking for a poet. Maybe we can trade you for a big dominate centreman???????????????

11. #11 Joseph says:
    April 23, 2008 at 11:10 pm

Whatever happens, it’s going to be fun watching this team play deeper in to the playoffs. And while I believe that they’ve got a great chance at playing in the ECF, and perhaps even in the SCF, I also believe that this team still requires some physical punch and the proper leadership to win a championship. A couple of logical off-season acquisitions should do the trick.

12. #12 Joseph says:
    April 23, 2008 at 11:12 pm

The Leafs would be looking for a poet with his own material.

Frog:

Les Claypool told me to tell you that life would be more rewarding if you tried coming up with your own material from time to time. He also added that you might even consider using the stuff that you do come up with within the context of the conversation surrounding you.

13. #13 duckdoc says:
    April 23, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Frog,
    Sure hope you’re not getting your stuff from that SOB dealer that slipped me the bad acid in the 70′s. From your “poetry”, I would advise you to cancel your next order and look elsewhere for enlightenment.
    I got some bad news/good news for you. The BAD,your brain damage is PERMANENT; the GOOD,you can now safely move back to Toronto.

14. #14 duckdoc says:
    April 24, 2008 at 12:14 am

Just in case anyone cares, I am not really a night owl. I just live in the PST zone, which is 3 hours earlier than MTL, so it’s really 9 pm where I am, not midnight (that’s for the benefit of those who might be trapped in a cave. By the way, WW2 is over. WE WON).

15. Who let the frog out,lol…..

16. Les Canadiens are the last Canadian team in the BIG SHOW and needs the support of every cunuck from coast to coast….LETS BRING THE CUP HOME….GO HABS GO…….

17. #17 xtrahabsfan says:
    April 24, 2008 at 2:48 am

We know Gainey messed up not drafting Kopitar, Perry and Getzlaf, my problem is that he continues ti be too conservative, and drafts these small players, even Subban and Weber are small by NHL standards. PSS aDRIANO pAGANO THAT WROTE THE ARTICLE LAST WEEK TITLED ” hABS NEEDA BIG CENTER”, IS REALLY tHE tEACHER at Habs inside/out, and is the boyfriend of The Frogg.

18. u guys know whats great, Next year the habs are going to be soooo much better. So even if we don’t win it this year, theres a 90% chance we could win next year. Next year I can see Price getting the vezina and the kostitsyns getting 70 pts each. The only problem is that montreal has alot of little guys. But I still think montreal can do it this year!

19. #19 Frog says:
    April 24, 2008 at 6:56 am

Joseph, why the anger? I’never claimed it to be my “poetry”. As for Hockey, I’m afraid if the HABS could not put away the Bruins until 7, They are in for a bit of a rude awakening with the flyers. I’ still think theu could pull it off though. As I had said previously, Although not a Habs Fan, seeing an old adams division team win would be somewhat nice.

Anyone for john the fisherman lyrics?Check the primus video out on you tube. It’s kicking!

20. #20 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 24, 2008 at 7:40 am

Senet 1:

I love My Habs. But I will be cheering for Ryder when he Plays against Montreal.

Carbo better put in Halak because I don’t want Price to be embarrased when Ryder breaks loose……..

LETS GO TOHIGHT HABS………….

21. #21 habby says:
    April 24, 2008 at 8:44 am

To hell with Ryder and his little girl playing style. He’s 6 feet tall almost 200 pounds; scared to hit and get his nose dirty in the corners. I’ll be glad to see him gone in the offseason. He may pull a John LeClair but it will be with a team lacking any type of offense( he’ll be their leading scorer with 20 goals)

22. #22 habby says:
    April 24, 2008 at 8:45 am

Oh by the way, Habs will crush the Flyers tonight.

23. #23 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 24, 2008 at 9:28 am

I see habby that you are another Member of the Blind selects in here.

Ryder plays like a little girl, scared to hit and get his nose dirty in the corners.

You have not whatched many games that Ryder has played in have you.

Don’t post such stupid comments………

24. #24 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 24, 2008 at 9:30 am

Oh habby! Did Ryder play like a little girl when he scored 25, 30 & 30 goals for the Habs???

I can’t hear U………

25. #25 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 24, 2008 at 9:30 am

I thought So…………

26. Again ,I did not post #66,but that’s ok cause I like a bigger or smaller hockey player that plays big,no denial there. I will be contacting Habs Blog though and putt the blog name of the individual who is mimicking me ,rest assured I don’t want this to snowball to my other Hab Blog sis and bro’s…..

27. Frogs will come and frogs will go
    ours is messed up fromm all the snow
    he’s a bruins fan if you don’t know
    two bad problems and him nothing to show
    if I was frog I’d just say no
    and put down that crack pipe full of blow
    GO HABS GO …GO HABS GO…GO HABS GO….

28. #28 Joseph says:
    April 24, 2008 at 11:17 am

Frog:

If you interpreted my comment as anger, then you’re not very astute.

This place is a bit of a virtual insane asylum.

29. #29 duckdoc says:
    April 24, 2008 at 11:38 am

Yo,Habby, nice touch on Little Red RYDing Hood.
    As for DieHard Habs Fan, I hope ?she wears a dress because her/?his fascination for Ryder goes way beyond hockey.
    Hey,Die Hard Habs Fan, is it true that a “hard man is good to find”?

30. #30 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 24, 2008 at 11:44 am

duckdoc! IS THAT THE BEST U GOT BITCH!!!

31. #31 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 24, 2008 at 11:49 am

Ryder Should just Tell Carbo to GO F _ _ K himself and go back to God’s Country and wait for a Team that will let him play hockey and won’t give up on him when he hits a slump.

32. #32 duckdoc says:
    April 24, 2008 at 1:11 pm

DieHardHabsFan,
    Why don’t you step outside, Alice!
    I promise not to bring my Boa if you agree to forego your purse.
    And, please, no blows!

33. #33 habby says:
    April 24, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Diehard #74

I haven’t missed a game all year. Ryder scored those 25,30 and 30 goal seasons on the pp. He doesn’t work on the ice. Sure maybe he’ll blossom when he goes but, oh well.

34. #34 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 24, 2008 at 2:05 pm

habby;

Ryder scored maybe Half of his goals on the PP if you really were watching Montreal. Or watching what you want to see rather than the Facts.

It is nice to see how the Habs throw out some players like the trash and ohter players can do no wrong……….

35. #35 Frog says:
    April 24, 2008 at 4:47 pm

come Xtrahabs, I’m not a Bruins fan but an avalanche fan. Come on now! I’m not a drggy either. be nice.

Joseph- This place is insane in the membraine… your right!

36. #36 Senet 1 says:
    April 24, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Here are the facts on Ryder.
    2007-2008 Canadiens 70 14 17 31 -4 30 1 0 2 134 10.4

He scored 14 goals this year and 1 was on the powerplay. Had he earned the right to play on the power play he may have scored more goals, he was certain given his chance in the fall and again in the months of February and March. NO goals.

No one would argue with you about his previous years production on the power play but with the other skilled guys we had this year he had to earn his right to play on the PP and the just didn’t. I thought he played a lot better at the end of the season but hey the power play goals just did not come and he was given the chance to produce on Koivu’s line off and on the last two months of the season. You cannot play based on past years performances and there were other players that deserved the change more than he did.

37. #37 rcbhotrod says:
    April 26, 2008 at 9:16 am

what has latandress do so all year and in the playoffs he is a bum ,get a real and proven hockey player back in the line up ,like ryder oh right he isnt french.

38. #38 hockeyGuyg5 says:
    April 29, 2008 at 12:39 pm

As for Ryder: How can you say that you can’t put a guy into the lineup based on past performance? Alex Kovalev went into a slump, but instead of benching him, they gave him the playing time to snap out of it because the coaching staff knew he was a great player.

Ryder’s bread and butter is the PP – that what he does. He’s not going to have the same numbers as last year if he’s not given the chance to perform on the PP. Sure, he may have been slumping but he can’t break out of a slump if he’s not given any playing time.

And anyone who has any idea about the montreal organization knows Carboneau is stubborn. He was the same way when he played – it’s no secret to those who know him that his ego does him mroe harm then good. In his mind, he now has reservations about inserting Ryder because if Ryder lights it up (as he did in the past after being benched) then it could look bad on Carbo – which is insane. People want the habs to win, period….Carbo wants his ego fed first, and the habs to win second.
    When reporters asked Carbo why Lattendresse was going in for Game 3 and not Ryder – everything in his response about Ryder was negative. Nothing positive whatsoever. Even if he thinks it, why tell the media about it.

And in regards to his numbers last year, no one complained when Ryder lead the team for 2 seasons. Habs fans are so fickle…it has to be one of the worst hockey towns in the league. You guys are so quick to turn on players who go into a slump, despite what they’ve done. The best example of this would be Mr. Roy. He brought cups and pride back to Montreal, and yet how quick you turned on him.