Samsonov Clears Waivers

• To nobody’s surprise, Sergei Samsonov has cleared waivers today.

The Russian winger, a major disappointment this season, says he’s looking forward to staying on with the Montreal Canadiens after meeting with head coach Guy Carbonneau and GM Bob Gainey.

If you were GM Bob Gainey what would you do to solve this problem?

How quickly his attitude changes after realizng his market value is worthless.

Options? Samsonov can be sent to Hamilton. Is this another Alex Mogilny situation? Former Russian star washes up in the minor leagues?

Samsonov can be re inserted into the lineup.

Samsonov can sit.

Nobody knows what was said behind closed doors, but Samsonov embarrassed Gainey and the Habs by repeatedly complaining to the media and most recenetly demanding a trade.

Samsonov demanding a trade when nobody wants him, puts him in between a rock and a hard place. In my humble opinion, deservedly so.

1. Let the bum sit in the press box for a bit then send him to Hamilton. Break the Bas**** completly. Make him an example, you never speek out publicly against your employer. Buy his contract out in the summer and let him sign with a team for a million somewhere else. No one is bigger than the team.

February 7, 2007 at 3:11 pm

WOW How weird is this.I would of loved to be a fly on the wall during that meeting

3. I want to thank Downey for his heart when he plays, maybe Samsonov gets the example and the reality of how he’s got to perform to be a member of the greatest team of all times, for the team ,for himself and FOR THE FANS!!! Show us some SAMSONov.

4. #4 riser8 says:
    February 7, 2007 at 3:18 pm

This whole situation reminds me of a bad soap opera. I am not surprised that Sammy wasnt picked up on waivers….and I am not surprised that he is back with the team…for the time being anyways. What I am glad to see is that he, Gainey and Carbo had a nice meeting (probably with tea and crumpets) to clear the air. Say what you want about Sammy….(and god knows he has underachieved)
    he is only one of a half dozen reasons why this team is struggling at this time. I hope that Carbo puts him back with Bonk as the two seemed to have good chemistry along with Johnson for that two or three game spread, and if things do work out maybe the little smurf will be an asset to this team down the stretch. Remember 5 on 5 Samsonov is second on the team with 18 points….he is not the only so called skilled forward that has struggled this year, and lets hope he can keep his mouth shut and get on with being a well paid hockey player!

5. #5 smiler2729 says:
    February 7, 2007 at 3:24 pm

Does this mean Sergei’s gonna play well?

6. #6 Gui-Unit says:
    February 7, 2007 at 3:33 pm

I don’t think we should be pointing are fingers at him for every lose… it’s a team game and the team is struggling..espically on the Penelty kill, their penelty kill is not what it used to be, we need someone who can block shots just like Steve Begin, i miss that guy :(

7. no you can’t blame him for a loss, this happend because he demanded a trade. let the bum rot.

8. #8 stevejur says:
    February 7, 2007 at 3:41 pm

Try Sammy on the top line with Koivu.

9. Exactly, put Ryder on the 3rd line and play Sami with Koivu tomorrow. He’ll show up!

10. #10 HABMAN says:
    February 7, 2007 at 4:05 pm

You know what I’d do?? I would give him exactly what he wants just to shut him up!I would put him with Koivu and Ryder or Higgins, give him lots of ice time, give him some PP time, try it out for a few games, THEN if and only IF he succeeds or stumbles he would have absolutely NO reason to bitch and moan or demand a trade through his agent. It would fall completely on his shoulders, it’s called being RESPONSIBLE for ones self. GO HABS GO!!!

11. #11 joshtm says:
    February 7, 2007 at 4:07 pm

I think Gainey promised Samsonov that he would play Youpie instead of sitting in the bleachers, so next game ask Youpie for an autograph and see if Youpie signs it as Samsonov! HAHAHAHAHAAAA

12. #12 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    February 7, 2007 at 4:08 pm

Stevejur – Yeah that will send a great message. Piss-On your management to get your chance to play on the top line… I doubt that would happen. If it did not work Carbo and Gainey would never recover! Not sure two of our smallest forwards on the same line would be the solution.

13. #13 stevejur says:
    February 7, 2007 at 4:28 pm

At 3.5 million a year, you better get this guy going.
    Time to put your pride a side, we’re slipping faster than the titanic.
    There’s no time to punish players, we have to make the playoffs.
    Put him up with Koivu and Latendresse (or Higgins).
    Latendresse should give him some more room on the ice.

Either way boys we’re screwed gotta try something.

14. Hi guy’s,I thought I’d apologize for my comments of late conserning my boy toy friend Sidney CROSBY. I just havn’t been the same Guy since my fling with N.A.S.A’S Lisa Nowak last year,that bitch really messed with my head,now I’m sooo spaced out man.I also would like to apologize to all the little boy’s”yumies” and girls of my home province of Nova Scotia who are Hab fans,for my personal longing for Sid the KID,AGAIN I BLAME N.A.S.A. No hard feelings”well some”,and I’m glad that Samsonov going to remain a Hab”he’s got a cute butt too” he should score now”something I havn’t done in years!!!” SINNERsearly ROB.

15. #15 HabsFan says:
    February 7, 2007 at 4:47 pm

No surprise, but it would’ve been nice if someone took him. He is costing the Habs about 3 million, and by freeing up that room they can get a trade-deadline guy. Samsonov is useless right now…

He shouldn’t talk about his team like that to the media as well…

GO HABS GO

16. #16 Newby says:
    February 7, 2007 at 5:12 pm

Habs have no intention of making a run this year. BG has 2009 as his target year so Sammy and the rest of the useless tits can go you no where. By the end of next year this team will have a whole new look. Young, spirited and ready to make a go of it!
    Relax

17. Look, Habs Blog, I am sorry for some of my comments on this site and I see that you erase some of my thoughts here because they are too vulgar. I am just very upset with the way the Canadiens have been playing recently over the last 2 months and I just taking out my frustrations on some players that I feel can do much more than they are like Samsonov, Kovalev, Rivet and people who are showing no heart. I did make a post earlier today and it had a lot of profanity on there but I am sorry and will try not to have too much of it here in the future. Give me some feedback because I am sure you know where I am coming from on this. I am frustrated and want the Canadiens to win some games.

Ziman

18. #18 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    February 7, 2007 at 5:26 pm

TSN has released tomorrow’s line-up:

Sammy has a chance so he better prove himself quick! Johnson might be hurt and out of the Line-up!

Higgins – Koivu – Ryder
    Samsonov – Bonk – Latendresse
    Perezhogin – Plekanec – Kovalev
    Murray – Lapierre – Downey

Defence
    Souray – Rivet
    Bouillon – Dandenault
    Streit – Komisarek

19. #19 kazmojo says:
    February 7, 2007 at 5:40 pm

If those are the actual lines, that’s a good fit for Samsonov. He’s a puck hog, and the other two crash the net and work the boards. Sammy had success with Bonk and Johnson, bringing his +/- back to even, after an entire year in the red. Of course, maybe anyone could skate with those two and be on the plus side.

In any case, he should play, regardless of injury status to other players. He has to improve his trade value — cuz if he can’t even be given away for free, something is definitely wrong.

20. #20 Gui-Unit says:
    February 7, 2007 at 5:40 pm

A record from (21-8-5) to a record of (29-20-6).

21. #21 joshtm says:
    February 7, 2007 at 5:42 pm

I think it is fantastic that the Habs will give Samsonov another chance. Bob Gainey has great character and leadership qualities. ALthough we have struggled as of late the overall team quite often brings a tear to my eye. I love them all and I just want them to suceed. I also love all the other bloggers on here especially ROB, Pactum and Habs#1. YOu guys are great and I hope we can see past our differences and just be great friends.

22. #22 stevejur says:
    February 7, 2007 at 5:43 pm

How the mighty have fallen

23. Yes I too want to apologize to Joshtm his posts are great. Way to go and at the same time I too want to apologize for my serious butt kissing of Sid the Kid.

24. #24 Pactum says:
    February 7, 2007 at 5:54 pm

Yes while we are at it, I too want to apologize to Joshtm.

25. #25 Habs#1 says:
    February 7, 2007 at 5:54 pm

Yes I also want to apologize to Joshtm…

26. #26 Habs#1 says:
    February 7, 2007 at 5:55 pm

I think Bob Gainey has found the cure for cancer and way to save the whales, next we will wait and see if Bob can part the St.Lawrence…oh yes….if only he can cure the Habs of their play though. Youpie is Samsonov, didn’t you know?

27. #27 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    February 7, 2007 at 5:56 pm

Huet is also back in Net.

28. #28 Iceberg14 says:
    February 7, 2007 at 5:57 pm

here’s the solution..of course he didnt clear waivers…sso they will send him to hamilton or scratch him..i hope that’s not the case…let’s do what we should have done all along…play samsonov on the top line and not just for one game…let him play the season out..even a bad samsonov is better than downey’s and murrays and begins’s etc etc…and give him pp time…he is 2nd on the team in even strength points..and everyone knows all the top scorers including souray and kovy get half their points on the pp….let’s ride him out end of season…and give him a fair chance to show what he can do…it will be at least as much as the rest of the bums have given us…you don’t like him after the season..then trade him….now only if we could do the same with huet and put him in nets and let him play the rest of the season..he earned that position and i don’t care how well abby played in a few games..u don’t fuck over your all star #1 who carried you last and this season

29. #29 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    February 7, 2007 at 6:04 pm

Iceberg14 – Not sure if it is definate but TSN reporting that Carbo has Sammy in the lineup Thrusday. Blog entry #18

30. As for tomorro’s game vs the Sens, Murray&Downey earn your keep,”YOU OWE THE FANS” and take out NEIL!!!NOOOO MERCYYYY!

31. #31 kazmojo says:
    February 7, 2007 at 6:22 pm

If those are the lines, Samsonov bumped Streit from the forward lines, who then bumped Niinimaa as Komisarek’s partner. I was hoping Niinimaa would play more: in two games he didn’t royally screw up (as he used to), is a +2, and has improved his trade value.

32. #32 HabsFan says:
    February 7, 2007 at 7:05 pm

Does anybody know what happened to Markov? He is injured, but does anybody know how bad and where?

February 7, 2007 at 7:07 pm

I think its his knee and its not that bad.He might play tomorrow

34. #34 stevejur says:
    February 7, 2007 at 7:13 pm

how the mighty has indeed fallen, I agree with joshtm, bob gainey is god, and carbo is wrong for not allowing Samsonov to play as much as he wants with whoever he wants and also help with the line changes…..

February 7, 2007 at 7:20 pm

Who has the last laugh now MEAT BALL LOL

36. #36 Iceberg14 says:
    February 7, 2007 at 7:24 pm

yes! sammy and carbo worked it out…i didn’t want to see him traded or sit out or sent to the minors..i hope both apologized talked about the issues and what is best for the team…the habs don’t have a good team or much offense and samsonov is one of the fw who could provide it..who knows with the right attiutude support from fans the coaches pp time and the right line maybe we can pull this together for a playoff run…only one thing though huet has to be our #1

37. #37 joshtm says:
    February 7, 2007 at 8:25 pm

You know the rant about carbo not being responsible is funny. Actually he is on the ice, just like le journal and the hab hooligan fans and the quebec tax man are also on the ice, oh yes we can’t forget the fans on this blog are also on the ice, yes how dare they complain about carboneau…

And Bob Gainey is not responsible for bringing players here to Montreal either, they come uninvited like some in-law and eat up the budget.

What the heck is happening here? Is there no one in control of the habs? Honestly, and the players its their fault too that the team is losing? It’s all Gary Bettman’s conspiracy, he has stuffed the rest of the NHL with superior hockey players leaving the habs no better than some triple aaa team…

Honestly, what’s next, what other excuse are we going to use, oh ya we can’t forget the English Language CBC HNIC commentators, they too are on the ice outshooting the habs…..

Oh yes, let’s not forget the refs are on the payroll of the rest of the NHL all on a conspiracy to make the habs lose?

Honestly.

Its time to call it as it is, it begins at the top, Gainey has drafted and made this team, Carboneau has coached it to a few wins, better than last place, the millionaires some of them actually contribute, maybe not all, but hey, how can we in turn say Gainey did a good job overall? Obviously the team imploding on itself and the Toronto Media Mafia all but smelling blood like the Piranhas they are, who can blame them? Actually they do deserve some blame, we can’t let TSN and HNIC off the hook that easily, but honestly, it is sad that we go to their level.

The sad fact, is Gainey has squandered a huge budget on players who are not fitted or can play together, you can’t be mixing and matching metric to standard, the tools just won’t fit. Its no wonder the defense falls apart, its no wonder the offense gets shut down at the blue line…..you build a team, you don’t build a team with players who can’t play with each other.

And you can see Carboneau mixing the line trying to make it work. Its not gonna work. Only the rookies who are used to playing with anyone and everyone can make it work. Johnson is gonna keep rushing all by himself, Souray will think he’s a big star and worst of all Samsonov will always hog the puck. At least Bonk and Pleks are clicking….

And the goaltending, it is shocking that we have great goalies who still end up losing the game, sometimes by huge leaps and bounds and sometimes only by a goal. It only takes one goal to win the game, its time Abby and Huet learn the lesson Dryden learned quickly, to win you have to stop all the shots, not just enough to win. you can’t win by thinking you only have to stop so many shots…

38. WEIRD, Something went wrong with the “Samsonov clears waivers” blog,hummm,virus perhaps??? Well,I’m sure it will be fixed for the Sens games.With the Sabers beating the Sens3-2 tonite,the Sens should be nice and tired,”thank-goodness”for tomorro’s game. This was quite the day on the old Habs Blog. It started with the news of the passing of a long time Habs fan,a strange Red Fisher story about Crosbey getting traded to the Habs,Samsonov making up with Gainey and Carbo, brother Hab fans slugging with each other and Big H.B. himself getting upset with his bloggers…WOW,not bad for a game off day,lots going on…ON THE BESTEST BLOG SITE IN TOWN!!!good-nite..lol

39. Oh yeah,Habs7-2 winners tomorro with Neil getting K Oed,yea baby!!!

40. #40 smiler2729 says:
    February 8, 2007 at 2:26 am

What does TSN know about Carbo’s lines for the Ottawa game? They employ Tie Domi and Glenn Healy… The Stupid Network.
    Ever notice the Maple Leafs have M-T-L on their uniforms on the shoulders, now THAT’S RESPECT!
    Are the Habs showcasing David Aebischer or what? Are we really gonna miss Andrei Markov? When is Steve Begin coming back?? And when is Kyle Chipchura gonna get a call-up? And who the hell is Sergei Samsonov anyway??

41. #41 stevejur says:
    February 8, 2007 at 2:28 am

HEY POST #34 STOP USING MY NAME LOSER!

42. #42 habs phan says:
    February 8, 2007 at 3:18 am

WOW!!! H.B. HIMSELF SHOWS UP TO SHARE HIS OPINION. I LOVE IT, AND IT’S ABOUT TIME. THIS SITE HAS BEEN GETTING OUT OF CONTROL FOR A WHILE NOW. LET’S GET BACK TO HOCKEY TALK AND RELEVEANT ISSUES SURROUNDING OUR TEAM. IT SURE WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE SAMSONOV PLAY TOMORROW NIGHT. I HOPE HE GOES INTO THE GAME WITH A GOOD ATTITUDE AND HE’S WELL RESTED. LORD KNOWS THE SENS WILL BE TRYING THEIR HARDEST TO STEAL OUR SPOT IN THE STANDINGS. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW BOYS, HOPE WE CAN GAIN SOME GROUND ON ATALNTA. GO HABS GO!!!!!
    P.S. I STILL THINK BRINGING GRABOVSKI BACK IS A GOOD IDEA!!! WHAT DO YOU SAY??

February 8, 2007 at 8:35 am

Let go of Samsonov aaaaaand Kovalev next year. YEAH BABY.

44. #44 stevejur says:
    February 8, 2007 at 8:36 am

I get so upset when they use my name.

45. #45 Rubberman says:
    February 8, 2007 at 10:20 am

IS Carbo’s job on the line? How about Gainey?

46. #46 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    February 8, 2007 at 10:31 am

Xhabsfan #38 – I agree it was a weird day yesterday. I had to jump off the blog when people started clowning on each other. As for the Sammy deal, I think everyone thought this shake-up with Samsonov was going to kick things into a higher gear for trades, AHL call-ups, or some sort of transaction, but when nothing paned out, the uncertainty caused a bit of chaos.

The Red Fisher thing was a little off the wall… and as a faithful reader of his, I was amused and surprised with his Hab fan satire! Wasn’t use to him publishing that sort of fiction and apologize to anyone who thought I was disrespecting him. They have since taken it off the site at this point but as a recap the story went something like this:
    ["Habs acquire Pittsburgh superstar 'Sid the Kid' for three Russian stiffs (Pleks,Sammy, & Kolvalev), Gillettes first born son, and the bell center zamboni. Reports say that the deal sealer was Gillettes first born son!"] It was pretty funny…

I think Sammy will be noticeable in tonight’s game. Why? Because well, he has too! Carbo and Gainey might have let him off the hook, but the Bell Center Mob on Saturday will lynch him if he shows up with anything less than excellents! If people thought he is set up for failure before he has put the onus on himself 10 fold. The problem is Hockey is a team sport… will a supporting cast pitch in to bail poor little Sammy out? Will a newly inspired team arise from the depths to show us the excitement of it’s 2006 offered? We’ll have tune in to tonight at the same Hab time; same Hab channel to find out!!!

Go Habs Go

47. #47 HAB-DAB-A-DO says:
    February 8, 2007 at 11:44 am

SAMSONOV 3 GOALS TONIGHT- BELIEVE IT

48. If imitation is the highest form of praise, I would like to thank the authors of post #14 and #23 for the compliment.

I am pleased to say that as of noon today, I have also cleared waivers. After a closed door meeting with Habs blog today, I am pleased to say that I will be staying with the blog.

I agree never to say anything about how badly Montreal fans blew it last week when they booed and jeered Sidney Crosby. How badly they looked across the nation when their players speared and high sticked or how silly Aaron Downey looked telling Crosby how to play hockey.

I also agree that Samsanov is entirely the problem. There are no systemic problems in Montreal. The important thing is that there are 21 000+ fans in the seats and 100+ daily hits on the blog. I will no longer create disention (Did I spell that right, Habs blog?) I will definitely not mention that the usage of waivers as a disciplinary measure is a sign of a mangement that has lost control of the team. I will not point out that Daniel Briere had the same thing done to him a few years ago.

In exchange for my cooperation, Habs Blog agrees he will not post my private cell phone number on line.

How did I do, Habs Blog? I forgot to mention in our meeting that I don’t kill penalties. Can I play on the first line now?

49. #49 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    February 8, 2007 at 12:17 pm

Funny Rob… LOL
    You & Samsonov have risen to martyr status!

Is Montreal still the new Babylon??? Doomed forever by the Hockey Gods for the undeserving tanting of the chosen one?

50. Hahah…not bad.

Actually the site does over 1200 unique people a day on average.
    Many more lurkers than posters. And just wait until playoffs (if we make it). Then the fairweather flock flies in.