Sergei Samsonov

• How would you handle the Sergei Samsonov situation?

What would you do this year and/or the off season to remedy the problems he has created?

Lack of production is one thing, but his repeated public whining and complaining to the media has tarnished his reputation forever. It’s also put Bob Gainey in a very difficult position.

What do you do?

1. You’re the man, joshtm.

You sure showed me! Latendresse is tied for 243rd in scoring in the NHL, and it sounds like you are ready to hand him the Calder Trophy!

Did you notice who is numero uno on that list? He was number 6 in scoring as a rookie last year, and even he did not win the Calder, dude.

That’s part of the problem these days. Guys like you are so misguided on what actually consitutes a decent hockey player these days that you are ready to excuse anyone’s lack lustre/mediocre play if their last name starts with “La.” What ever happened to just trying to have the best players on the Habs regardless of what language they spoke first. Ken Dryden, Bob Gainey, Larry Robinson, Steve Shutt, etc., etc. during the dynasty years were all anglophones.

Of course, you are already acutely aware that Gainey is an anglophone, eh?

The rookies (Latendresse and Lapierre) have been marginally adequate… neither of them have been great!

2. The Habs need a real goon next year! This wimpy style is for the birds. Souray should not have to risk his wrist on those who take pot shots at the Habs. Small players like Koivu and Higgins need to be protected.

At the very least, a goon to fight once in a awhile would make these games a little bit more interesting. That is, if it doesn’t offend your overly sensitive, feminine disposition, joshtm.

3. Rob,Bulldogs have got some big bastards some with N.H.L. experience” Biron”,who checked a Marlie through the glass yesterday.So if Gainey can’t get rid of the prima donna’s , I’m sure we’ll see a lot of Bulldogs next year.

4. #4 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 7:15 am

Why do you people waste time typing this shit? All you have to do is copy & paste.

Why do you people insist on beating a dead horse?

Why talk about the same shit in every post?

Some of you people in here have some serious issues.

To make a long repetative bull shit story short, “Not one player, not one, should get more than $250,000.00 per year”. Not one player in any professional sport deserves over $250,000.00 per year.

5. Xhabsfan:

Biron is not really who I had in mind. I don’t think that he has ever had more than 100 penalty minutes in a season. I am talking about the kind of guy that other players really wouldn’t want to tangle with a la George Laraque because of fear for their lives.

All these guys that say the Habs don’t really need a goon should consider that they have never won a cup without one (and usually two.) They have continually got walked over by the opposition since they decided that fighting is not the Canadiens way. Despite some skilled players on previous teams, it always used to be that the Habs could handle themselves before 1995.

1992-93 We had both Todd Ewan and Lyle Odelein (who started off as a fighter before he became a good defenseman)

1985-86 and before: We had Chris Nilan and John Kordic on the same team.

6. #6 nigelski says:
    March 13, 2007 at 8:35 am

Believe me, Joshtm, Kovalev doesn’t, nor did he ever, require lessons in laziness. Not from Koivu, Samsonov, or anyone else. The book on Kovalev has always included his lack of desire. Another Malakov: 2 guys with all the tools, who don’t care enough to put it all together. He’s always been a me first guy. It’s truly a shame that a guy with so much potential doesn’t pair it with heart.

Like many of you, I had high hopes for the team this season, especially after how we began the year. We’re not completely dead in the water this season, but a winning streak would get us to the playoffs. No doubt we’d be 1st round cannon fodder for the likes of a Buffalo opponent in any event, but it could still happen.

I don’t expect that near miracle of a playoff berth to occur, and I’ve been semi-sure we’d miss the post season since early February. I can’t say what BG saw that made him so inactive at the deadline, but I know what I saw the night after: a team that, despite their protests to the contrary, were waiting for a trade day saviour deal that never materialized.(4-0 loss to NYR, a team we had owned for years at MSG)

7. #7 nigelski says:
    March 13, 2007 at 8:45 am

i agree, Rob, we need a decent goon who can play. Murray and Down(syndrome)ey are margial, even as enforcers go. Not certain who is available next season, other than Simon, but that Ivanans guy we used to have in our system is on the highlights often enough.

An enforcer alone will not fill the glaring holes in this lineup though. Think of where we’d be if we’d tried for Savard instead of Samsonov, or even Petr Sykora…Briere is an UFA this summer, but it’s hard to see buffalo not attempting a re-signing there. For all of the good moves Regier made there, signing tim Concussion Connely for $3.5 mil was a crapshoot that will see either Drury or Briere elsewhere.

I know you’re likely thinkin’ that we don’t need another smallish forward like a Savard or a Briere, but Briere, at least, would appease the French media and fan contingent, and would be a better deal at 5 – 6 mil than any other FA available this summer. And he would address our lack of a #1 center too.

8. #8 nigelski says:
    March 13, 2007 at 8:46 am

sp–that should say “marginal,” not margial

9. #9 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 8:47 am

The only Russian that I wanted to see play for Montreal was……
    “Vladislav Tretiak”. Now he was a Goalie and a half……….

10. #10 HAB-DAB-A-DO says:
    March 13, 2007 at 8:52 am

Saturday nites games the habs better win,Ime doing a 14 hour drive from Nova Scotia and I expect nothing less than a 5-4 win for the habs with the fifth goal being scored with 5 seconds left in overtime, Got great seats section 101.

11. #11 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 8:59 am

No Dude… We don’t want da leafs to get any points……….

I’d settle for 18 – 0 for the Habs though……..

12. #12 Sergei Samsonov says:
    March 13, 2007 at 9:21 am

Rob, I don’t know this Frank character you speak of. I just visited to see the support that our fans were giving us during our race to the playoffs and all we are getting is bashed in every post.

As for Latendresse, the kid is overrated because the French media has a hard-on for finding the next great French star to play in Montreal. At this rate they are going to scare away ALL of the possible UFAs instead of just little ones like me.

13. #13 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 13, 2007 at 9:24 am

#60 HAB-DAB-A-DO you better paint your face and be holding a Habsblog sign with HAB-DAB-A-DO on your chest; right below the CH of coarse… 14 hours is pretty die-hard considering the ride back.
    And I thought I was Die-hard driving 3.5 hrs North, now I feel like a one of our pre-Madonna’s Xhab talks about …LOL
    HAB-DAB-A-DO they’ve invented Planes for trips of that distance!

14. #14 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 9:28 am

Big game tonite Ladies. Low score I’d say. Abbyshit will shine tonite. (He has too) N.Y. has had our number the last two games. Now it is our turn.

Go HABS GO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

15. #15 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 13, 2007 at 9:52 am

What is the Latendresse bashing all about? The kids 19 and going to get better… We have half the fans bashing Carbo for having him up and the other half bashing Carbo because he has not called up enough youngsters. Of coarse he needs to play better but so does everyone else.

For those of you bashing Carbo for playing Lats on the top line; do you remember that we were winning games and our top line was scoring wit him playing there, and the only reason he was there is because Higgins was out? and Higgins another player in his 1st full year on the top line… Not saying Lats should be on the top line this year, but cut him some slack.

No, Lats is not a Crosby, Staal, Ovechkin, but he’s a solid prospect. What is with the singling out of players? First, it’s Euro and Russian bashing, than the reversal bashing of the French players.

Quit the isolation of players and address the truth that the team has played awful, which includes coaching staff. That happens with inexperience and egos…

With that said, there is a slight chance, we might squeak into post season festivities, and I with the HabsBlog in saying that we have a chance among the equally awful teams in the fight.

16. #16 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 10:05 am

I am very disapointed with my fellow Habbers (Habs Fans).

We all should be comming together as one big disfunctional family and love one another and pray for our beloved Habs………

Lets all get along people.

The Ozsbournes are disfunctional but they still love one another………

17. #17 Rubberman says:
    March 13, 2007 at 10:08 am

I imagine that the rest of the Habs must be glad that the media is after Sammi and Kovi. Let these guys get the blame while we (as a group) under perform (e.g. Rider, Koivu, Abbie, the defense, Carbo, Gainey, etc…).

This team had problems in December, the coaching staff knew it. By the end of Jan. nothing was done…

Carbo lost his team’s confidence in Jan, and no one wants to admit that.

18. #18 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 10:15 am

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH beating the dead horse again……………..

19. #19 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 13, 2007 at 10:23 am

I say we Send Lats to the Rod Brind’Amour school of toughness over the summer. Get him a “hot-Rod Roid pack” to add bulk and rage to his game… WE might have to extend his visor next year so his forehead would fit into the mask and beat him with a hockey stick to make him as scary as Rod, but if this is what it takes to have a “Bad Ass” forward; we might want to consider it!

20. ROB, There are other big tough guys on the bulldogs also, the reason I mention the Bulldogs alot is,. next season the Habs have to change things with no budget to speak of, no G.M. or coach wants Kovalev or Samsonov ,so I think were stuck with them , whether they play or not. Habs will try to resign SOURAY AND Markov and there goes the budget . Not enough talent up front to put a stricky goon type player,but with BULLDOGS CAN INCREASE SIZE AND TOUGHNESS, plus they stick up for each other.There a bigger team than the Habs, lots of 6’4′ 235 LBS GUYS, WHO CAN’T WAIT FOR A CHANCH IN THE BIGGS ! I can’t see Gainey changing his style next year so, reason for my thinking,plus no small superstar to protect.

21. #22 HAB-DAB-A-DO says:
    March 13, 2007 at 10:43 am

I checked out airfare prices, on short notice return from Halifax 1099.00 $$ we can drive a hell of alot cheaper than that and we can spend more money on the strippers this way as well.

22. #23 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 13, 2007 at 10:48 am

HAB-DAB-A-DO you’re a thinker buddy? I like your style… It is a no lose situation at this point!

Note: Bonk is also a game time decision for tonight…

23. HAB-DAB-A-DO ,Have a great time,drive careful in Montreal and always go faster than posted.

24. #25 habs phan says:
    March 13, 2007 at 10:57 am

BRING GRABOVSKI BACK!!!!!!!

25. #26 Bob Gainey says:
    March 13, 2007 at 11:02 am

Thank you for coming to today’s press conference –
    I’d like to announce a couple of trades I’ve made, first, I’ve sent joshtm and other ‘fans’ like him to the Toronto Maple Leafs for a chunk of shit and secondly, I’ve traded Sergei Samsonov to Los Angeles for Jenna Jameson.

Thank you for coming, merci beaucoup.

PS. In Smiler2729 I Trust.

26. #27 HAB-DAB-A-DO says:
    March 13, 2007 at 11:04 am

and from my past trips to Montreal what the hell is up with cross walks in that city? Its kind of like you take your chances and I have a feeling if someone hits you your just left there till the street sweeper comes the next morning.

27. #28 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 11:06 am

That RDS shit was hard to read……….

28. #29 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 13, 2007 at 11:11 am

Yeah I know… the translation tool for RDS makes things a bit choppy.
    You can also see an update in the Gazette – http://www.habsinsideout.com/

29. #30 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 11:12 am

Hey Bobby boy, now that’s more like it. That’s a good trade. Do ya think that we could get Pamela Anderson in trade for Kovalev? And maybe Elizabeth Hurley for Abby……………

30. #31 smiler2729 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 11:18 am

Sergei, Sergei, Sergei… hmmmm. So much freakin’ talent, such a big contract, hmmm, throw in your baby brain and your big mouth and that’s makes you so easy to deal… hmmm, let’s see, Boston grew tired of you… yup, Edmonton watched you float through the playoffs with zero contribution… nice, and now Montreal’s wasted all this time trying to see if you can function on any line at any time only to come up empty… cuz you’ve decided to cry and suck rather than play a game that comes so easy to ya, well, I guess your career is over, over, over. Nobody wanted you on the waiver wire and now no team will even touch you and your big mouth ever again except maybe the Dallas Cowboys.

Here’s the perfect solution for you! Yeah, you can join this blog and spout your whiny venom about how the Habs suck and suck and suck just like every other Hab fan here, me, I prefer to remember it’s just a game and I don’t need to spend every waking hour of my life typing and re-typing the same complaints over and over and over and over and over, the same thing, over and over and over, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah…. (fade to black)

31. #32 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 11:22 am

WE NEED ROY TO COACH US……………..he was asked by Montreal but Roy said that he was no ready fot the NHL………….TOO BAD…………..

Patrick Roy took his rivalry with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens up another level on Sunday, as the Hall of Fame goaltender-turned-junior coach was at the centre of another scuffle in the town’s Georges Vezina Centre.

With 15 seconds remaining in the game and the Sagueneens up 5-3, Roy lined up his three tougher Quebec forwards – Ruslan Bashkirov, Kenzie Sheppard and Brent Aubin – up against three younger players sent out by Chicoutimi coach Richard Martel.

The ensuing matchup led to an on-ice scuffle involving all 12 players on the ice, and the game was stopped. Martel openly accused Roy of putting enforcers out to settle things up physically, and the two coaches got into an anitmated shouting match from their respective benches.

Arena security was brought in to prevent fans from climbing over the glass and into the Quebec bench.

“I think that there was a lack of control on the other side,” Martel said after the meeting. “The match was practically finished. It’s the coach who decides who is sent out on the ice in this kind of situation. That surprised me. It’s a pity because (Chicoutimi forward Kirill) Tulupov has a serious concussion.”

Roy denied such tactics, saying his only concern was killing a penalty that was assessed to Remparts defenceman Joey Ryan 10 seconds earlier and added he was talking to a player on the bench when the brawl happened.

It’s not the first time Roy has had trouble in Chicoutimi. In January, he faced assault charges after allegedly getting into a shoving match following a game in town. Roy, who both owns and coaches the Remparts, was accused of hitting the opposing team’s owner. Police said about 50 fans of the Sagueneens prevented the Remparts players from boarding their team bus.

32. #33 habs#1fan says:
    March 13, 2007 at 11:28 am

I have no idea what you could do with Samsonov, trade him somewhere possibly but only IF they eat a big chunk of his salary and they would get very little in return (but then anything would be good, a 9th round pick, a bag of pucks, a half a dozen used jock straps or whatever)

33. #34 smiler2729 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 11:28 am

This blog is so much fun! We’re all apparently Montreal Canadiens fans but so far because of a bad season and the subsequent blame game I’ve been called everything from a 12 pack drinking rapist (by that guy who probably changed his handle in shame) to Dick Cheney to an egomaniac to a beer league goalie. Thank you my brothers! And all that for trying to lighten up the negative repetitive crap spewed here by those who can’t grip the fact that hockey is just a game and that the Habs dynasty years are almost 30 years gone.

Thank God I have thick skin and short term memory from making too many head saves without my mask on. I love you all my brothers!! Really, I’m misty eyed here… sniffle, sniffle, choke, choke… Kirk out!

34. Dalley 1 , ya ,I’D LIKE THAT,I’d like that very much!lol.ROY FOR COACH , OH YEAH!

35. #36 smiler2729 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 11:43 am

Bob Gainey as President, Patrick Roy as coach and GM and Mario Tremblay as stickboy, jockstrap specialist and resident idiot. Cool.

36. #37 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 12:05 pm

Smiler2729; Tis it not time for yer afternoon nap?

Seriously….Wha tis wrong wit dat der idea guys? What tis wrong wit Roy fer Coach.

He’s wood take he’s goalie out befer he’s get embarrased. Dat’s fer sure.

37. #38 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 12:07 pm

I’s bet me buddie Joshhytm poo wood agree wit me der eh…………….

38. #39 Kev_in_Dorval says:
    March 13, 2007 at 12:26 pm

Joshtm … joshtm … joshtm … why do I always have to read his name here? You guys know you’re just playing into his game and giving him the attention he so desperately craves. So here we are 12 games left, HUGE one against the Isles tonight, the Habs are still in control of their own destiny. Samsonov is such a little sucky whiner … guess what you’re being paid 3.5 mil to produce, to score! Combined with Kovalev’s underachieving, Sammy is a big reason why the Habs are on the outside looking in right now. He could have been a professional about this and kept his mouth shut and realized what everyone else has, that he’s been horrible and lucky to get any ice time but no he has to go whine to the media. If he doesn’t publicly apologize or make amends for his comments, why should Carbo dress him at all for the rest of the season?

39. #40 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 12:29 pm

I’s just like’s to get em going see. He’s a laff he is. We’s way 2 serious in yer. We’e need da laff right……….

40. #41 BarrieHabFan says:
    March 13, 2007 at 12:37 pm

Just a quick question here for everyone. In 92/93 when Montreal won the cup, how many non-Canadian players were on the team? I remember Oleg Petrov and Ed Ronan, were there others.
    And while I don’t mean this as a slight against non-Canadian players I do beleive that players of certain nationalities bring different “qualities” that can be both positive or negative. In the habs case this year I beleive it is definately negative. I’d like to see more emphasis on the tradition Canadian version of a hockey player on the habs, with more heart, teamwork, consistent skill and less self-centred attitude.
    On another note, I still beleive in Gainey. Samsonov was a huge mistake. and I beleive the problems with Samsonov are what has turned Kovalev against trying at all. But no one could have predicted the signing would have turned out so horrible and Gainey will learn from this.

41. #42 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Do u no wha guys?????

42. #43 Habs#1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 1:20 pm

Damn straight Gainey will learn from this, even the dumbest GM’s would(unless your name is Mike Milbury), and Gainey’s pretty smart. I just don’t think he’s over his daughter’s death yet. It’s been clinically proven that it takes a year minimum to get over a tragedy like that and I believe it.

Gainey’s going to take a very valuable lesson out of this: no more Russian UFA’s. More Canadians.

43. Dalley1, I like the idea of ROY as coach ,not kidding,I don’t know how long he would last,but holy shit,could you imagine Samsonov and Kovalev trying that crap around him,omg; or Neil trying a cheap shot ,lol, it might just work.This team needs a lions roar to wake up.Roy is a winner and take’s no prisoners !

44. #45 TaLoN says:
    March 13, 2007 at 1:29 pm

I dunno guys, I doubt it has much to do with “Russians” being bad players as much as the team doesn’t have chemistry period. Carbo has tried Sammy out on every possible combo, and no clik, Kovi is getting kinda old but would prob kick the crap out of teams sitting next to a Federov or that kinda of player. The pieces of the puzzle are good, its just they are all from different puzzles. That being said there are other problem players besides these guys, at least these guys stay out of the box “most” of the time.

45. #46 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 1:33 pm

Yes bye. In an interview Roy was asked did he talk with Montreal about an Assistant coach job (I think). Roy said that he was not ready for the NHL yet.

If Roy would Coach The Habs like his junior team well no one would get away with any of that shit I’ll tell ya. He is a no Bullshit guy and would have no trouble telling the media to go F_ck them selves……….

46. #47 Dalley1 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 1:36 pm

I said it before and I will say it again. Montreal needs a team with 100% Canadian players.

47. #48 Iceberg14 says:
    March 13, 2007 at 2:49 pm

I give up..I hope they lose and don’t make the play-offs..why would a fan of 30 years say that? Because if we manage to drag our sorry asses in to 8th place and make play-offs…Carbo and Gainey will be able to say they did ok and made the play-offs and we’ll all accept it and nothing will change..Keep Souray..give him the C. Keep Huet and play the hell out of him next year..meaning if he loses 2-3 in a row by letting in 4 goals..don;t pull him in favour of some shitty goalie.instill our confidence in him and let him play and get into a groove like the leafs flames and canucks did with their goalie this year..Huet did alot for us the last couple years with little help from the rest of the team. I love samsonov and yes he did underachieve and everyone hates him so if you have to get rid of him that’s fine..but if you do blame him, then you better gid rid of kovalev, koivu, ryder higgins and murray cause they weren’t much better this year…Plekanec is the only guy who had a good season..then clean house and start over..what do u think?

48. #49 LeBeau says:
    March 13, 2007 at 5:58 pm

Joshtm…WTF?

Dude, your posts are my favourite. You don’t make any sense. I’m not necessarily talking about your Habnalysis, I’m talking about your sad attempts at fighting with other bloggers. Just do yourself a favour and stop arguing. You’re making yourself look like a tard.

49. #50 Joshtm says:
    March 13, 2007 at 8:36 pm

LeBeau, why pick on me? After all I was just pointing out, what the phoque is this Gainey worship? What other GM in history pays mediocre crap and makes them millionaires when they don’t even post decent points?

When there are other quality players out there, as Burke’s public posting of the trade log shows, Gainey just doesn’t have it! People say he is smart, well what is so smart about paying someone like Johnson megabucks to produce and some rookie like Latendresse scores higher than he in a shorter time? Most of the rookies in the league are in the bottom 700 for God’s sake, some way down in the basement! Compared to how the rookies are doing as a group, Montreal has a good bunch. A bunch that actually produces and helps to win games with very few points!

That speaks more than say Koivu’s multimillion dollar paycheque and his high assist rate, but hey, guess what it’s Koivu’s time in the P-box that has cost Montreal most of the games we have lost, the core of the slump.

So point for point, the rookies do more, contribute more and are more of a champion naturally than Koivu!