Sheldon Souray Contract Offer

• The Canadiens made their first official contract offer to Sheldon Souray.

By the comments of Sheldon’s agent it doesn’t look like it was anything that shocked them.

“We got the offer,” he told the paper. “It’s May, late May, but it’s still early, and we’re just going to sit here and evaluate Sheldon’s free-agent options over the next couple of weeks.”

By the sounds of it, it seems they intend to test the market as most everyone expected.

If that’s the case then Sheldon Souray will have been lost for nothing, in a year the Habs didn’t even qualify for the playoffs.

1. Agreed Josh, I was trying to calm it down for the boys ,you know they can’t handle Dandy and Bully both not making the cut at the same time with out loosing their marbles.lol

2. I would like it if Habs blog opened a forum on the first 3 years of Bob Gainey’s tenure as G.M. You know ,the pros’s and con’s; good moves and bad moves ;room for improvement’s and repairing past mistakes . As-well , has he read the new N.H.L. right and are the Habs going in the direction as the Sabers to be going ?”Build the team like the Ducks”. Myself personally, though I ‘ve always liked Mr Selkie”bob”,I think he has misjudged a thing or two! What do you say?

June 10, 2007 at 3:29 pm

Yep no question bob has made some mistakes but overall i think he has made the team better over the past few years “NOT” great but better.If we are still here in a couple of years still talking about how bob is going to make the playoffs than i would agree that he was a bust in montreal but lets give him atleast 2 more years to see if he can build something here.As for carbo i am not a big fan of his, he did misuse players on this team and handled some issues very poorly. Having said that he was a rookie coach and will learn hopefully but if the circus continues with carbo and all the BS that surronded him it would not break my heart to see him leave.Off topic here but come draft day i dont think gainey will be useing those two first round picks i think he will flip them both in some kind of a trade but we will have to wait and see

4. #4 Joshtm says:
    June 10, 2007 at 6:44 pm

Well, if we were going the way of the Ducks, then size would be a key component. More like we are going the way of the AHL….and not the Ducks.

We are going into a nasty slide, just like the Laffs 100 year slide. Oh ya, let’s give the coach another two years….meanwhile a hundred years into not getting cup…honestly, like as if we can afford to wait a hundred years like the Laffs! It’ll probably be hundred years before they do get a cup, the Laffs, granted they are going what, sixty years on?

No I say, we need to keep up with our winning ways. If Gainey can’t do it in three years that he’s had, then obviously he doesn’t have it.

Unless we put faith on the junior habs. But honestly, they don’t have the size or weight to pull a Ducks dynasty move…that is if the Ducks keep it up.

Neither is Gainey going the way he did in Dallas.

Or maybe, that was Gainey’s agenda, get the Calder Cup for the first time in Hamilton’s franchise history, next on the agenda is a Stanley Cup maybe. If it is, then we should see some great moves this summer then. Coming soon to the Belle Centre…great moves by Gainey….ya right, he’s not unloading anyone to free up salary cap, and he’s eaten it up with signing Markov, who was not so hot last year like most habs.

So what gives?

5. One other conversation that we could have is ,after last year, which Hab veteran is expendable and which is not,and can any of them be put in a trade package or is there an untouchable?I would keep Price and after that anything goes.

6. #6 Joshtm says:
    June 11, 2007 at 12:39 am

The question is, can we get a big goon forward like Getzlaf who can protect little Koivu? If we can, then Koivu could be the superstar he deserves to be. I am still amazed that Gainey doesn’t recognize Koivu’s talents, but instead leaves him high and dry and forces him to fend for himself.

That is why I have been ragging on Koivu’s butt all this past year, cause Koivu can’t look after himself very well, his only response is a hooking penalty!

Anway, I agree, build the team for Price and not for Koivu. Right now Gainey is building to match Koivu’s small size, but not his talent. That just sucks big time.

7. #7 habs4ever says:
    June 11, 2007 at 7:54 am

To be honest, i’m not a big gainey fan, and for all those over evaluating our prospects. They’re nowheres as good as you people think. Were more than 3 years away still. I almost agree woth joshtm, other than he gotta pipe it down a tad. Debate in a civilized manner. We are way to small. One thing we disagree on is Souray, no way is he more value then markov IMO, that being said, we over paid Markov bigtime, 4.5-4.75 was all he is. Souray will handcuff us bigtime, he will demand markov money plus, it won’t be from us, but somewheres, 30goal defencemen don’t grow on trees. One of Gainey’s biggest mistakees was not moving him at the deadline, anyone who says he wouldnt have netted much or noone wanted him are wrong. River= Gorges and 1st rounder, Souray doubles that. I’m not sold on our goaltending either, sure price will prolly be great. Huet and Halak don’t impress me at all.

Not a big pleks fan, to small, seems more like a utility guy to me, kovalev well no need to say nething, our d is one of the worst in the NHL, boullion and dandy cmon, theyre shitty.

I know noone likes ribs, but trading him for ninamaa was a disaster, not to mention we gained his way overpriced salary.

Carbs def 1st style is terrible coaching for this team, our players are mostly liabilities in theyre own end as shown by the poor plus minus on a team preaching defence 1st.

Fire carbs, let this young team be creative. Cant have 12 carbs on forward it won’t work.

All in all, Bob has been mediocre at best, getting rid of rivet and theodore only moves he’s made I liked. I don’t know why everyone thinks he’s god like, like raptors BC, he is’nt. I base my judgement on on ice production not reputation.

This team has been in a funk since 93, basically has been s-h-i-t, we damn well better have a few decent prospects. Any team who has been this bad in the standings is gonna have some spects. Shanny or a hardnosed forward we need to get this youth going and provide some insurance for koivu. I like smyth, but not for 6mill at this stage of his career. Anyways bob once again has his work cut out. Unfortunately I think we will be going into 2008 with the same small weak team.

8. Joshtm, it’s really nice to hear you say something positive and constructive. Thanks.

9. #9 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    June 11, 2007 at 10:12 am

Yashin / Samsonov delema :(

I would like to bring up a discussion that has been pushed into the spotlight by the Yashin experience last week.

We have a player facing the same fate (rumors have it happening this week) to Samsonov. I question the buyout option because of his short-term liability of his contract. I say we put him on waivers and send him to Hamilton. Before everyone jumps on the defensive I like to put my arguement to the test.

What does buying him out do for the team and for him for that matter?

1) Buying him out will cost us a cap hit around $2.35 million which I think the CBA rules state that because he is under 28yrs old will apply one time hit this year.

2) Buying him out gives him the opportunity to be pick up by another team at a very cheap option because we have given $2.35 to suppliment his income.

3) Not that I care, but even Samsonov would have to wonder if this buyout option is a good dea for himself. Yashin career in the NHL may have ended because of his stigma. Would Sammy want this for himself at such a young age?

Sending him down on Waivers.

1) The biggest savings this obviously is the Salary hit would not count toward the Cap.

2) Downside is we lose a prospect spot in Hamilton and the owner would have to live with not benefitting with the extra million the buyout option provides.

3) People might say the biggest risk is he would be a cancer to the Hamilton system. I do not believe it, and I truely believe Sammy would not report to Hamilton because of the “Pride factor”. But lets say he did and no one picked him up (because that case, we’d only be on the hook for 1/2 his Salary if someone pick him up $1.7625 mil),but anyway, he is young and I beleave wants to play, so I think would make every effort to make himself an attractive comodity for the next years free agency.

I think Gainey wants to put the mess behind him, so the buyout probably be the route he will take, but I am not sure it will be the best for the team. Maybe it will be awake up call for others if it happens.

Food for thought…

Go Habs GO

10. #10 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    June 11, 2007 at 10:36 am

I correct myself, in arguement #1. I stated it would be a full cap hit in the up-in-coming year, when it being reported on the site FourPeriod that it would be split into 2 years around $1.2 mil a year. So it might be worth the money to start on a clean slate… I guess I should read the fine print in those dam CBA rules… LOL

11. Accept the offer the money its huge and if you stay with the montreal canadiens your the best in the team. Everyone loves you so PLEASE STAY WITH THE MONTREAL CANADIENS Thanku.

12. Upon reflecting the outcome and results of the playoffs and finals,I sure I’m not the only one thinking the Habs were headed in the wrong direction. Bob Gainey ,I do believe it’s time to turn the Habs ship from against the wind to a position of going with the wind to a proven coarse. And an almost total refit will be necessary to accomplish that goal,something in the order of the size and talent of the Ducks and the youth ,speed and potential of the Pens;and the sooner the better!!!!That being said there are consaquences,another succession of rebuilding years,but on the upside to it,watching the team truly flower to a contender. This is the job of the Owner and G.M.,ESPECILLY WHEN YOU TAKE THE REINS OF THE STORIED SHIP CANADIENS !!!

13. #13 Pepto says:
    June 11, 2007 at 3:57 pm

Are you saying a team full of Latendresse’s is the answer. A team that cant skate but will hit repeatedly. That is until the get too full of them selfs and start thinking they are superstars and then bring nothing to the table.

14. #14 habs4ever says:
    June 11, 2007 at 5:20 pm

I like skill players like the koivu’s and the Brieres, but we need guys to krind it out with skill, so Koivu can better showcase his skills. Shanny be a great 1 year pickup, to help players develop. Providing the price is right.

Although I believe our biggest weakness is our D, Markov is a great skating, 1st pass defencemen, reminds me alot of Kaberle. After that our 2-6 guys are quite weak. Aside from Komi, with little to no offensive upside which I don’t mind. Bully, Dandy, Janne, Gorges, and Souray who were losing. Janne were losing too thank god, so IMO we need two steady defencemen, not a pronger, although it would make us a playoff contender almost immediately. Preissing be a good pickup. I’m not sold on Schneider, I think his weaknesses would standout on this D which fails in comparison to Detroits. I hear Scott Hannan’s name, I’m a Hannan fan, I would love that.

Then if we do that, we need a big number 1 centre. Patrick Marleau, perhaps. Not a big Marleau fan, but he would definately do the trick. Maybe a shanny or a lower priced power forward, Arnott type to play with Saku. Sounds like alot. Keep Bonk at a much reduced salary, and renogotiate Johnson for a cheap deal. It can be done. With the money saved in the Rivet deal, losing Janne, buying out Sammy, letting Souray go, Letting Abby go, Bonk for .75million less or even 1mill less, can’t see him being paid more than 1.5, a nice 1.2-1.5 I would think of keeping him.

Basically the money we saved by dropping these bums more then pays for Markov, Although Markov at 5.75 is quite steep IMO although we had to sign him.

Cap Limit is expected to rise to 48Million, I also heard rumours it was rising all the way to 52, although I can’t confirm.

Point is we have 2 1st rders this draft in a relatively weak draft. Gainey has a real good opportunity of making some moves here to get us back on track. Its the most optimistic offseason I’ve had in a fwew years. I just hope he has the guts to make some deals.

Were not good enough as we stand right now, and not good enough to go just within our system, we need a little outside help to get us there, with the wiggle room in cap room we should have. The future may be bright. Imagine what we could do if we could somehow dump Kovalev, holy yikes!!!!

15. #15 Pepto says:

Rivet Souray
    7th: Markov

PRice
    Souray

16. #16 habs4ever says:
    June 11, 2007 at 5:57 pm

Ok I have montreal cap hit at roughly 38million if we give raises to, Higgins, Plecs, Ryder, Komi, let Souray walk and sign bonk and johnson to 1.5-1.8 respectively. Only leaving us with 10mill to spend roughly, with some wiggle room and I may have over priced ryder and Komi, If we sign souray for 5-6 mill puts us at 43-44 mill which gives us barely any room, this also includes the sammy buyout. 1.2 for 2 years.

If someone has different numbers let me know.

I really like to know the expected range if Gainey plans to offer deals to everyone we expect, i through bonk and johnson in there, cuz i dunno for sure his plans.

17. #17 habs4ever says:
    June 11, 2007 at 6:02 pm

*Threw

18. Habs4ever,I do believe a lot of moneys and cap room saved by inserting 7 Bulldogs into Habs lineup,you know rookie minimum,while Niinamaa,Bonk,Jonston,etc… could finish there careers in Europe ,which is more there style and probably safer for them being that there accidents waiting to happen.Darren Dregger writes something to that as well at T.S.N.,HAVEN’T READ IT YET.

19. #19 Pepto says:
    June 11, 2007 at 7:19 pm

Darren Dreger? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Getting your opinions from that hack explains alot!

20. #20 habs4ever says:
    June 11, 2007 at 7:43 pm

Niinamaa wont be back for sure, which is what i been saying, but bonk and johnson will not be in Europe. I think johnson or bonk for the right price, paycut is well worth it. Other teams will sign either one for 1.5, give your head a shake. 7bulldogs. Name them plz.

Darren Dreger.. lol.. you ever write any of your own thoughts.
    I’m trying for serious discussion and you come on with Dreger. LMAO
    Desperate when you come on here quoting Dreger and you havnt even read it yet.

Any realistic people care to comment.

21. W H A T ?

June 11, 2007 at 9:21 pm

“It’s amazing when you consider all he’s accomplished this year,� added Melanson. “Think about it, over the past six months Carey has led Canada to gold at the World Juniors where he was named tournament MVP, been named the CHL’s top goalie, and won the Calder Cup and AHL playoff MVP. I mean, he hasn’t left the ice since August! The next assignment for Carey is to finally get some rest.�

I think it is a safe bet that with the Habs this guy is gonna bring it home.

23. #23 Pepto says:
    June 11, 2007 at 9:24 pm

Joshtm = Xhabsfan = Darren Dreger

Worse then I thought!

24. Price ,Halack g
    Jancevkki,Benoit,O’byrne,Biron..big D

KOSTISYN,CHIPCHURA,MILROY,LOCKE,GRABOVSKI,MANLOW..FOWARDS
    lAST YEARS ADD ONS;lAPIERRE…LATENDRESSE
    With the exception of Lats …all big savings,new faces ,new blood ,new direction and plenty of cap space with more size.All are winners !!! Eat that Pepito AND MENSTRAL4EVER

25. #25 Rubberman says:
    June 12, 2007 at 12:08 am

Bob, don’t sign anyone just for the sake of signing a name. Smith yes, Briere yes but that’s it.

Save the cash for next year and go after LEcavalier…

26. #26 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    June 12, 2007 at 9:09 am

Tampa’s in financial crunch, my fear is some team will make an offer they cannot refuse this year for Lecavier. He is their best option offering them building block to by gaining players and prospects for the teams improvment: he has the shortest terms left on his contract, he has no “NO-trade” clause in place, his contract is worth his value two-fold as far as contract, and the bolts Owner has stated the Salary for them will be around $40-$42 million only leaving $8-$10 million for signing 10 players at this point. The Bolts already have $34 million committed to 12 players.

Meaning, it is possible a team make a deal to get players for Vinny and re-negotiate a long-term contract to lock him up, which could render him unavailable next year if we wait?

I say Montreal would be in the running with the depth with our prospects and goalies, so if a deal arises I would seriously think about it (excluding a certain few). Would YOU?

27. This may be the only chance we have to get our paws on vinny. We certainly have what tampa is looking for, goalies, prospects, and draft picks, so I would certainly sell the farm, excluding price, obviously.

28. #28 Joshtm says:
    June 12, 2007 at 1:59 pm

Price/Kostisyn bros/Grabovski/Fischer/ 1st rounder for Vinny

29. Joshtm, you sure? that’s all? I’m sure we could get them to take the bell center as well, maybe all our equipment and pucks while they’re at it.

30. #30 Rubberman says:
    June 12, 2007 at 4:16 pm

“Price/Kostisyn bros/Grabovski/Fischer/ 1st rounder for Vinny”, I think that’s a good trade. Price is good, could be great but …. Lecavalier is great….

31. #31 Joshtm says:
    June 12, 2007 at 4:59 pm

WE need Vinny because Koivu cost us too many games with his hooking penalties.

32. #32 Habs#1 says:
    June 12, 2007 at 5:22 pm

You don’t trade goalies like Price. He is a once in the generation goalie prospect. If you trade him that will come back to haunt you for years.

Goaltending beats scoring every day of the week.

33. Habs#1, I totally agree. What prospect in recent memory (aside from crosby), goalie or not, has accomplished what Price has?

34. #34 Joshtm says:
    June 12, 2007 at 6:51 pm

JP you suck big time you know that? I bet you are the one putting all the potholes around Montreal cause you are such a real grouch! You make Oscar on Sesame Street look tame!

My favourite line: Souray, Souray, Souray, Souray and Souray, with Souray as GM and Souray as the coach. Oh yes, we’ll get Souray to also do color commentary. We’ll also repeat Souray as Souray, Souray, Souray and Souray and finally Souray for the Dogs as well.

Sure beats some of the little pricks here who propose paying big bucks for small fries who are just gonna get knocked around like little Koivu!

35. #35 Joshtm says:
    June 12, 2007 at 8:44 pm

I propose we get Grimace and Hamburgler to play on defence. THey will be an improvement on Dandy and Bou. I lvoe Grimace. HE is soo cute. Sometimes I pretend he tickles me to sleep.

36. #36 koivufan says:
    June 12, 2007 at 9:29 pm

37. #37 koivufan says:
    June 12, 2007 at 9:30 pm

wow joshtm and xhabsfan really need to get a life. how many times have they wrote on here and look at the times they did it. (can u say livin in mommy’s basement at age 30)!!!!!

38. #38 pepto says:
    June 12, 2007 at 10:06 pm

Now Now, Just because they live in the momma’s basement does not mean they are not some kind of computer wizard. THey could be those really smart guys who have a problem socializing because they get do nervous and narotic. Then again they probably are just losers.

39. #39 Mike says:
    June 13, 2007 at 12:00 am

Carey Price is the youngest player to be named MVP in AHL’s history!!

Another accomplish which wasn’t revealed.

June 13, 2007 at 12:07 am

You need your head examined if you think Price is exchanable , for gods sake he is the future , everyone knows you build from the Goalie up … ok so the word is Yashin in Montreal . My thoughts if he is not too expensive good take him as a stepover he is a hard working , gritty tough hard to get off the puck center .

June 13, 2007 at 12:09 am

If the Canadiens haven’t thought about pursuing center Alexei Yashin this summer, the three-time All-Star hopes to change their mind.
    Yashin’s agent, Mark Gandler, told RDS.ca that his client would like to play for the Habs next season and the two sides would be perfect for each other.

“Alexei knows Andrei Markov and Alex Kovalev very well and I am convinced that he would be able to rejuvenate Sergei Samsonov, if he had the chance,” Gandler said. “He also has a good relationship with Saku Koivu, as Alexei often trains in Turku, Finland in the off-season.”

In an article in today’s Le Journal de Montreal, the paper wonders if the Canadiens should try to sign Yashin.
    Yashin, 33, had $26.45 million left on a 10-year, $87.5 million contract he signed after the New York Islanders acquired him from the Ottawa Senators in 2001.

The Islanders will now pay two-thirds of that amount ($17.63 million) over the next eight years, making Yashin an unrestricted free agent.

Le Journal indicates the Habs would finally get their hands on a big center, if they pursue Yashin, who is 6-foot-3 and 225-pounds.

Meanwhile, there doesn’t appear to be any progress being made between the Canadiens and impending UFA Sheldon Souray. The two sides, however, continue to talk.

42. #42 Joshtm says:
    June 13, 2007 at 1:23 am

Carey Price is almost 20. Which means in 4 years he will be 24 and will just delay the progrees of younger prospects at that point. ITs all about the youngster and Carey Price plays like a 10 year vet already. Get rid of him. Trade him a Koivu for a top 10 pick in teh draft. FOr someone that has youth and can play a role with teh Bulldogs next year. Im tired of these Price fanatics, he is jsut another Racicot.

43. #43 Joshtm says:
    June 13, 2007 at 1:25 am

Give Lapierre the “C”. He is the future of the team. IF he was not sent down in December the habs would of won the cup. I guarantee it. The Bulldogs and habs should switch leagues and Gainey should step down. Koivu takes too many hooking penalties.

44. Joshtm, you are a waste of my time.

45. #45 nigelski says:
    June 13, 2007 at 11:38 am

“…he is a hard working, gritty hard to get off the puck center.” Don Carnage on Yashin.

What planet do you live on? This clown is invisible in the playoffs, and his size is only a factor when it comes to how much space he takes up on the bench. He’s about as physical as a ballerina. And he’s a cancer to boot. He represents the very worst of the, “Me first” russian attitude that is prevalent in the NHL. The only thing bigger than this guy’s ego is the gap between his offensive and defensive game.

Why not sign Kovalev and Samsonov to extensions while you’re at it?

46. #46 Joshtm says:
    June 13, 2007 at 12:32 pm

Yashin is too old. Just like Price. Price looked very weak in Game 2 on the 2nd round playoffs. I have no time for price. In 4 years he will be a detriment to our younger prospects. We need to build through the draft starting this year. Trade Price and Koivu for a 1st round pick and a 3rd in 08.

47. #47 habsfan_for_life1212 says:
    June 13, 2007 at 12:45 pm

Price is 20 years old! you’re very good in math JOsh! your 1000% right when you say Price will be 24 in four years. BUt Spuray will be 36! Lats will also be 24. We better get rid of all our young players because they will grow up one day! What are you on? ok Price was bad in game two of the second round. What about every other game. Brodeur has bad games too.

48. #48 Joshtm says:
    June 13, 2007 at 3:56 pm

You jerks, posting under my name, kinda shows I got you jerks by your short and curlies…..Price will do okay but if Gainey doesn’t improve the defense and continues to sign mini-mite defense and forwards, Price will go the way of Huet, burnt out in his first NHL game……at least Dryden had the big bird Larry to protect him, and Dryden had size, which Price doesn’t exactly have.

49. Price is 6’3″, 225lbs. How big do you want him to be?