Souray Trade Rumors

• If you’ve followed this site for awhile, you know I filter/ignore almost all of the BS trade rumors that float around the Internet. I’ll only post trade rumors when there is a reliable source or reliable information available.

Everyone and their dog can make up a rumor, and it just pollutes the reality. That being said, trades DO happen, and sometimes they don’t. Either way there is discussion involved, there are after all how many pro scouts in the league?

Apparently the Los Angeles Kings have being scouting around our Canadiens. In fact there were four Kings scouts including General Manager Dave Taylor at the Montreal/Ottawa game.

Their main focus, Sheldon Souray.

Souray is leading the entire league in goals and points for Defensemen. His stock has never been higher.

Not to mention that Souray is a free agent at the end of the year.

Combine that with the fact he’d like to be on the West coast to be close to his young daughter – and this seems quite plausible.

Who would Souray go for? It’s hard to say at this point, but if something does happen it may involve more than two teams and more than two players.

The league is taking notice of the Canadiens. Five other NHL teams had scouts in Montreal and although Souray is gathering most interest, there are a number of desirable players teams may have interest in.

So let the speculation run wild.

One thing is sure, the high demand puts Bob Gainey in a favorable position.

How do you feel about Souray leaving?

It’s tough to say, Souray is arguably the best powerplay defenseman in the league. He’d already be a candidate for the All Star team, and although it’s early a front runner for the Norris. Who wants to give that up?

On the other hand, Souray is also known for momentary lapses and his ability to magically change into a pylon in certain situations.

Who said General Managers had easy jobs?

Habs look for revenge against the Canes tonight. Expect Koivu to ‘show up’ against the team that nearly blinded him.

Cristobal Huet gets the call tonight. The Canes played last night and the Habs are fresh which always makes for an interesting third period.

1. I’ve always liked the guy, seemed like a team leader and a top D scorer to boot. But in the end, it could come down to a personal decision, as you say, with his daughter.

The problem we get when he leaves is that we are left with a big gap in experience. Souray seems to me to be a rock in the D and removing him would require someone of equal calliber to be put straight in.

Hope to see both Koivu and Huet play blinders tonight and w00p the ‘Canes. God willing someone will really, really, really hurt Cam Ward.

2. It would be a shame to see Souray leave since he’s been our best d-man so far but frankly it’s almost a given he would leave this offseason to go there anyway.

If you could get Vishnovski(about the same talent level as Souray) and one of their young forwards(Camillari, Kopitar, Frolov) or Brent Sopel with Jack Johnson, those seem like fair trades(in the end Gainey will have fleeced them) to me with Souray’s stock at were it’s at.

He’s going to go to L.A. anyway so why not trade him was his stock has never been higher.

3. #3 habzman says:
    November 2, 2006 at 12:39 pm

Send him, you know you can count on atleast once a game saying, “C’mon Souray, what the hell were you thinking?” turnovers, taking the wrong man in front of the net. His shot from the point would be missed though.
    Gainey has done a fantastic job building the team to the talent blend it is now so I have complete faith in him.

4. Habs fans are way too tough on Souray. A leader in almost every sense, certainly to start this year. I cannot think of another top-4 defenseman that the Habs have a chance of either keeping or getting.

In other words, I disagree with those who are bringing some kind of ‘fate’ into the discussion. I say sign Souray for an extension with bonuses for performance. Keep him in Montreal, maintain the integrity of the team.

We know how he plays, his strengths and, yes, his weaknesses. Instead of pummelling him for a defensive lapse, applaud him as possibly the most dangerous point-man in the game today. If the Habs are going to go far this year, Shelly is a big piece of the puzzle. I can think of a few players, highly paid at that, who don’t come close to his value.

So, NO, don’t trade Souray for someone who has no idea of what it is to play in the Montreal cauldron in a season where the Habs have a chance to go somewhere… sign him up for another 3 years!!!

As for his daughter, I don’t think he’d see much of her during the season anyway, with practices and away games (never mind that wanting a trade to specifically LA and achieving it is another matter). Also, isn’t she with her mother … his ex!!! (i.e. he wouldn’t see her at home). Off-season, he can spend the whole time with her. I have a young daughter as well and travel frequently — it’s tough, but you work it out and make the times when you’re together that much more special.

Bob: Sign him up!

5. #5 johnnyhab says:
    November 2, 2006 at 1:00 pm

souray has always been one of my favorate Hab players sure there are times when he gets skated around but name 1 nhl d-man who has not. It would be very hard to replace his canon on the powerplay. I hope Bob can sign sheldon long term. with holes needed to be filled on the defence they cant trade away a piece of the puzzle

6. Nice comments, Jack. Few think before they write, eh? Souray is a huge asset to this team. Bob will make the right decision, that is to say, the right decision for the team…not necessarily the fanbase.

7. Sourray is gone after this season either way. So, if we’re not gonna trade him now when his stock is probably the highest it’ll be all season long and numerous teams may be interested then we shouldn’t trade him at all and get what we can out of him in the mean time.

8. #8 Habs#1 says:
    November 2, 2006 at 1:27 pm

Jack, I see your points but I going to have to disagree with them. He’d see his daughter a lot more in L.A. then he would in Montreal. What about all that time that he’s not at practice or on the road during the season? He would be able to see her all the time AND have joint custidy with his wife if he lived there.

So all indicators point to him not re-signing(he did ask for a trade last season, a guy I know who’s freinds with Souray told me so, to California to be closer to his daughter), so trade him for one of the two packages I said earlier.

9. #9 habs#1fan says:
    November 2, 2006 at 1:44 pm

If Souray does go now or later it is obviously a huge loss for the Habs. He is a big time reason why they (and the PP) is doing so well. If they do lose him they need to find someone else to be the PP quarterback. His big booming slapper will be sorely missed. Hopefully everything will work out for the best. GO HABS GO!!!

10. #10 habs hearland 1 says:
    November 2, 2006 at 3:01 pm

I say trade him if you can get good players in return. after all, he will be leaving for good in the offseason, which means we would get NOTHING IN RETURN!So, try and get a D man, and possibly a 2nd line centerman, which we desperately need. also, any chance of returning Huet to LA? Guess not, only wishful thinking. But I would make it a multi player deal. If we’re going to trade him, we might as well address other issues, at the same time.His stock is at his highest now, so take advantage of it. as good as his shot is, before long teams will key on him, and prevent him from taking his shot. The same thing that happened to Bryan McCabe will happen to Souray. last year, if you recall, McCabe scored a ton of goals on the PP.This year, he’s not the same, because the league now pays attention to him, and blocks his shot!The same thing will happen to Souray!And he is a defensive liability; hopefully Bouillion will be back soon, and fill some of that void.Our defence, either way, won’t be better or worse with Souray’s departure. But our offence could improve, with additions. So, GO AHEAD! TRADE HIM!

11. #11 SaskHab says:
    November 2, 2006 at 3:04 pm

This rumor is a real nuisance because I like what’s going on with this team right now. I’ve been as hard on Souray as anybody for his defensive lapses, but faced with the prospect of losing him really forces a person to think seriously for a minute. The man really does seem irreplaceable, he’s played the vast majority of games since his injury and has shown tremendous leadership. Besides forcing PKs to respect his shot and opening up down low for the forwards he does not shy away from the body. Chemistry is a delicate thing and it seems Souray is a big part of our team’s formula. I believe Gainey understands this and, like most Habs fans, there’s no reason to think Bob won’t do the right thing.

12. #12 habs hearland 1 says:
    November 2, 2006 at 3:12 pm

I read where Conroy(big centerman), with the Kings is available. do I see trade bait?

13. #13 aurel1 says:
    November 2, 2006 at 3:40 pm

I would suggest that Craig Conroy is on the downside of his career and I would not be trading for him. Souray is at best an average defenseman (who can forget his imitation of a pylon on numerous occasions in the past). However, he does have the “shot” which makes him marketable. If we can get some young players with an upside I would trade him in a heartbeat especially with Komisarek coming around.

14. I heard the scouts from L.A. were there to look at thats right, Daniel Alfredsson… please let those rumours about Souray be true…

15. #15 smiler2729 says:
    November 2, 2006 at 4:28 pm

I never believe these rumours and besides Dave Taylor is NOT the Kings GM anymore, it’s Dean Lombardi. As for his impending free agent status, keep him here while the team’s going good for the year and try to re-sign him, if he flies, he flies, oh well, maybe he’ll have a Stanley Cup ring to remember his Montreal days by, who knows? Whatever happens, Bob Gainey will do what’s best for the team so I’m not worried.

16. I just heard on the team 990 that there is speculation of a three way trade between Ottawa Montreal and CA,could alfredson be coming to the habs and sourray to CA?

17. #17 Habs suk says:
    November 2, 2006 at 5:45 pm

pusssssssssssyyyyy canadiens fans. mccabe is a great dman and better than your (SOFTY) souray—————-way better!

18. #18 Habs#1 says:
    November 2, 2006 at 6:12 pm

Hey Habs suk, McCabe is a minus player with what, 2 goals? He can’t skate and he’s terrible in his own end. He’s one of the most overpayed players in the league. Ask anyone outside of T.O. and Don Cherry and they’ll tell you the exsact same thing. So take your simple minded comments and stick them up your ass.

19. #19 johnnyhab says:
    November 2, 2006 at 6:13 pm

Hey Habs s** McCabe is a piece of S*&^ compared to Souray just because the laffs won 3 in a row dont place a hold on those playoff tickets and go back to the hole in the ground u came from!

20. #20 johnnyhab says:
    November 2, 2006 at 6:16 pm

On another note could we possibly get selanne or o’donnell for souray?

21. #21 Habs#1 says:
    November 2, 2006 at 6:44 pm

johnny, why would you want two players who are in their late thirty’s? If you ask for anything from the Ducks it would be for Andy McDonald, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Dustin Penner, Ryan Shannon, Chris Kunitz or François Beauchemin(the Habs already had him and gave him up, stupid Savard).

22. #22 johnnyhab says:
    November 2, 2006 at 7:59 pm

Habs#1 so true show me the way

23. #23 habs hearland 1 says:
    November 2, 2006 at 10:45 pm

good game for us ,the habs tonight. lucky to get thru the 1st period without being scored on; and then we started to skate, and took over. Why do we always play such rotten 1st periods? we look like we’re standing still, and the other team is skating rings around us. We should be ready to go from the beginning.Are we 1st in the league in shorthanded goals?I wonder , is Latendresse is ever going to score a goal this year?The only thing that bothers me, is the fact that we continually take twice the number of penalties as our opponent. Is that lack of discipline, or poor coaching?

November 2, 2006 at 11:06 pm

Let it go and just enjoy the win dude.

25. #25 rhozack says:
    November 2, 2006 at 11:17 pm

I think as of right now we have 6 Powerplay Goals against and 6 shorthanded goals for.

Thats pretty much 100% of the powerplay as far as I’m concerned.

I guess we can afford to take a few penalties.

26. #26 Jack Tornton says:
    November 2, 2006 at 11:58 pm

That was a god revenge. I loved that pleckanek goal. et le buttttttttttttttttt!

27. Norris trophy, NOrris trophy, Norris trophy.

WHen was the last time a habs d man won teh Norris. I think Chelios won it in 88-89 but I could be wrong. Souray resembles what a tru hab should be. A class act and a heck of a player. IF Im Gainey I would play the field but until a Patrick Marleau type player is mentioned there will be not deal. The trade has to make sense to the team and getting a player like Visnevski is a joke. Souray is a top 10 defender in the league right not, no doubt. ITs really too bad that fans are soo eager to get him out, but hey we have beeen through thise before with Pierre Turgoen. Im starting to thin ksome “so called fans” want him traded to there will be something to talk about for years. “oh my g*d I cant beleive we traded the Norris trophy winner!!!!!!!

Habs #1 your posts are starting to get repetitive. Why not mention his last three games have been flawless in the defensive Zone. The scouts must be drooling. Against Carolina he was superb in the D zone and won every battle. EVERY SINGLE BATTLE ALONG THE BOARDS, I have never seen him so strong and precise. AMazing, NOrris trophy.

AS for Habs Sux: McCabe???????? Cmon I have some leaf friends who cant stand him. TO LOST TO FLORIDA, PATHETIC!!!

28. #28 johnnyhab says:
    November 3, 2006 at 8:36 am

the fourth period web site is reporting changes could be made in tampa. rumors around st louis and the NY post talks about lecavalier being moved last month maybe a three team trade with anahiem or LA

29. One last comment about the Souray rumour: teams trade for UFAs from weak teams at the end of the season to improve their chances in the playoffs or simply to get into the playoffs. Why trade an excellent performer for what would (at best) be an unproven entity in Montreal? Stupid trade talk! If he`s gone at the end of the season (I hope not!!!), then the Habs have his salary to get someone else… it all comes out in the business.

But I digress: right you are PS… enjoy the sweet win last night!!!

30. #30 Habs#1 says:
    November 3, 2006 at 11:14 am

Snake: It’s not that I want him gone, I don’t, it’s that he’s basically a lock to leave at the end of the season. He asked for a trade last year and he’s going out west to be with his daughter at the end of the year. You trade a player when his value at it’s highest peak.

Try thinking with your head instead of your heart for once.

The Habs have the best PK in the league. 6 shorty’s already. That’s pretty damn impressive.

31. #31 Habs#1 says:
    November 3, 2006 at 11:24 am

But hey, this is one case were I hope I’m wrong. I want Souray to stay here long term, I love his play, I think he’s a great player and the best d-man we’ve had in years. If Gainey can sign him to a long term deal, say four years(he’ll be 34 by then and you don’t want a guy signed to a long term deal much longer than that, it’s one and two year deals all the way as of 35), I’d be absolutly thrilled.

32. #32 Habs#1 says:
    November 3, 2006 at 11:38 am

And as for me getting repetitive, you’re not exactly the peak of originality yourself. You jump all over Rivet every chance you get(who had a pretty good game last night), I don’t like Kovalev. You trash people for talking about possible trades, saying it’s stupid and blah, blah, blah, well guess what, that’s one of the fun parts about blogging. You get to put stuff out there and talk about it regardless of whether there’s a chance or no chance in hell. So have a little fun for once.

33. I always liked Souray, he’s a pure leader. Rivet on the other hand is just aweful.
    As of right now we only need a true 2nd line centre.
    Souray would be surely missed.
    If Souray wants to go for family reasons, there’s nothing we can do.

Vishnovski, Kopitar, Conroy and Frolov would be the only 4 players of interest in L.A
    St. Loius and Boyle in Tampa and
    Marleau in San Jose

Other than that I don’t know if there’s anyone else? That’s my opinion.

Great win last night, Hip, Hip Huet

Go Habs Go!

34. I don’t agree there’s nothing “we” (i.e. Gainey) can do if a player wants to leave. First of all, Souray cannot be too unhappy here (he ain’t doing too badly these days and I recently spoke with his Dad who said he’s happy in the city), secondly, trading him ‘where he wants’ is not exactly the wisest way to build a team (the business question is what can you get in return, unproven draft picks???) and third, how can anyone guarantee being traded anywhere in this world? If he’s actually on the block, which I’m fairly certain he isn’t if we want a competitive team through this year, who’s to say he won’t end up in Edmonton? He might not have much say in the matter, my friends.

I still say sign him up!

Let’s just enjoy the Habs coming together through the year and competing for the Cup!!!!! If Shelly leaves after that, he’ll be sadly missed, but at least he’ll have won a Cup!

35. #35 snake says:
    November 3, 2006 at 2:06 pm

Good point Jack;

Souray ain’t leaving until he has won a cup here. End of story!

36. #36 groundworking says:
    November 3, 2006 at 2:38 pm

I would put money on Souray staying in Montreal this year so long as they remain a playoff team–which is looking pretty good, despite the incredibly poor predictions of the TSN crowd (who had neither the Leafs nor Canadians making the playoffs, and the Flames finishing atop the league, I believe). I also think they’ll keep both goalies as it’s an absolutely huge advantage; well worth the 1.9 million for Aebischer in this goalie market. I can’t see Montreal making changes when they’re 7-2-3, and it would take a considerable losing streak or an injury for Montreal to give up Souray or one of their goalies.

My only sniff of trouble in Montreal this year seems to involve the dressing room. Kovalev and Samsonov don’t seem that happy; neither is really celebrating with the team when they score, and it’s possible that the team is getting a bit clique. Kovalev is playing very well the past few games, but Samsonov hasn’t been threatening all year–he’s not as smart with the puck as a veteran of his calibre should be. And blasting the coach in public for your ice time–as if it’s the coach’s faulth, and not yours–is hardly something that the Canadiens will tolerate.

Souray is a team player and quite obviously a team-first leader: that’s what the Canadiens need, lest they descend into the Leafs under Quinn.

37. Interesting points, groundw.

Carbo has been surprisingly mature for a rookie coach. He’ll deal with last week’s Sammy/Kovy tempest — Koivu can also help to keep locker room morale on the up. Fact is they’ve been winning since Carbo shook things up and caused the outburst to begin with…

Hopefully after the next bad game (sadly, they’ll have a bad game, probably against the Laffs), the situation is more stable.

38. #38 Jack Tornton says:
    November 3, 2006 at 10:21 pm

So how much should offer him?
    -3 million?
    -3.5 million?
    -4 million?
    -4.5 million?
    -5 million and over?
    *And how many years should we lock him up?

39. #39 Jack Tornton says:
    November 3, 2006 at 10:22 pm

In my opinion Bob should offer him a 2.9 million and afetr some negotiation he should sign him between-3.5 and 4 million for 4 years

November 3, 2006 at 11:02 pm

Not a penny over 3 million.

41. #41 habs hearland 1 says:
    November 3, 2006 at 11:49 pm

It doesn’t matter what we offer him, if he wants out! try to understand: HE WANTS TO GO TO LA! Get it?So, since he will be leaving by the end of the season, why let him go and get nothing for him? If we have a chance for a bonafide good young defenceman, or a power center, the choice is clear! Make the trade! Souray is only useful on the powerplay. He’s a detriment on defence, and it’s only a matter of time, before he embarrasses us and make the highlight reel, as a pylon for the opposition. He’s an offensive defenceman, but he will never stop the rush. Remember Sandis Ozilinsh? same type of player. Don’t confuse Souray with the likes of Nichlas Lindstrom! Please, not in the same breath! Lindstrom never embarrasses his team, and honestly, when Souray’s on the ice in a defensive role,I hold my breath! he makes me nervous, because of the amount of time he turns over the puck!Norris defenseman? That’s the best laugh I’ve had in a long time!Last year NOBODY thought of him in that way! because his shot wasn’t effective. And when they start blocking his shot, then nobody will be commenting on how good he is! offensive defenceman only, NEVER WIN THE NORRIS! Larry Robinson, Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey, NEVER embarrassed their team! Souray is good for only 1 thing-HIS SHOT! And when that is stopped, he’s out of here!I would rather have Markov, any day of the week, because he’s MUCH BETTER defensively! And that’s why they are called “DEFENCEMEN”!So people, try and make sound, and rational statements! Understand what it is to stop the opposition!

42. #42 joshtm says:
    November 4, 2006 at 12:26 am

Some good points for Souray to stay and when he was hurt we definitely noticed his absence.

But hey most games it does make you wonder whether he is playing a certain way to piss the coach off enough to get traded but playing good enough to scouts perhaps….all those giveaways and pushing the wrong player away from the net so the shooter gets a good shot, hmmm…the eye does not lie.

And then its Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Souray all of a sudden changes to a Habs player on the power play only…..or when he gets pissed off which is not too often….

Definitely Souray’s heart is not in Montreal which ever way you break it.

If he stays we should trade with a support player for Sheldon to cover those times when he gives the puck away….cause Ninny sure isn’t doing it, nor Rivet, nor any of the others….there is a big hole next to Souray when he decides to play against his own team….

Markov is just as guilty for giving the puck away, if there is anyone to trade it is not Souray. Maybe Markov, as he only hits the mark maybe two times out of five, the other three times he gets scored on….Markov is good enough though for any other team that plays physical and big, which is not Montreal…hmm…maybe the Kings are interested in Markov and not Souray.

43. #43 Habs#1 says:
    November 4, 2006 at 1:41 pm

The rumor is that in reality, the Kings have zero interest in Alfredson, but they do want a defenceman, and since habs heartland 1 and I seem to be the only one’s not in denial and the only one’s thinking with our heads instead of our hearts, Souray to L.A. seems more and more plausible.

44. #44 I love the habs says:
    November 4, 2006 at 4:42 pm

hello habs fans, im just like you. i love the habs! michael ryder and christobal huet are my favorite players! do u like them? im 11 years old and i really want to see a habs game, you see my family dosent have alot of money, so the tickets are too expensive but its all i want is to go to the bell center and see a canadiens game! i watch hockey night in canada every saturday, since cbc is the only channel i get on my TV. You guys sure do know alot about hockey, can anyone please could you help me and tell me how I mite be able to get a cheap ticket? thx alot Adam

45. #45 Habs suk says:
    November 4, 2006 at 7:33 pm

I love the habs:

Go to downtown Montreal and suck some cocks, and im pretty sure they’ll give you some money. In conlusion your tickets would be cheap hahahhahaha fuck head

46. #46 smiler2729 says:
    November 5, 2006 at 9:40 am

“Habs suk”.
    You sure have a lot of class, baby brain.

47. I’m totally happy about Souray’s trade rumors. I really hope it’s going to happen. The resaon is so obvious to me and I will explain it here: A defenseman must have speed. Souray is too slow to be a good defenseman in this league. The first job of a defenseman is to be good in defense, then, if he’s doing it right, we can look at his offensive talent. But Souray is too slow to be good on defense. Against a good hockey club, in a speedy game, Souray can’t play. For instance look at the last game against the devils: It was clear to me that Souray could’t not compete in that game. The reason why a defenseman must have speed is that there will always be a speedy offensive player on the other team that will beat him. This will always happen in important games. in playoffs, etc…This is not the case for an offensive player; he can be slower then average and be very good if he has talent. The best example is Wayne Gretky. For me, there is no choices for the habs, if they want to win the cup, they will exchange Souray now. The fact that Souray scores many goals reflects the fact that he has a very good shot. I agree with that. But as soon as the other teams will adjust to Souray’s shot , his slowness will impede him to readjust and Souray will become totally unusual to the team. Anyways we can always put a guy like Kovalev at his place on the power play. Kovalev has a very good shot too…

48. Souray played well on Saturday. You comments are off base.

49. #49 In_Gainey_We_Trust says:
    November 14, 2006 at 10:13 pm

I can’t believe people are even discussing Souray leaving the Montreal Canadiens. The guy is having a career year. And Rivet (who some took shots at as well) is one of the most underrated hockey players in the league. If anyone truly understands the game of hockey they would realize how important someone like Craig Rivet is to a hockey team. People like Souray, Rivet, Begin, Koivu are the heart of the team. They bring a lot more to the team than what you see on the ice. Letting Souray or Rivet go would be a grave mistake. I think the team has a serious problem with the 2nd line and will not go deep into the playoffs without fixing that problem, however, getting rid of Souray halfway through a career year may not even let us see the playoffs. We have solid rookies (kostsis-icantspellyourname and latendresse) and eventually, I think we’ll solve our second line woes. Why not trade Kovalev or Samsonov for a quality prospect and maybe a draft pick and that would give us enough money to keep the big 3 defensemen(Souray, Rivet and Markov). As for SOuray wanting to go to California- to me that’s old news. Gainey convinced him to stay with a winner a year ago and I think Gainey could persuade him to stay until the habs bring a cup to Montreal. We are close, but we can’t risk breaking up the core of the team.

50. #50 Susan # 1Souray fan says:
    November 28, 2006 at 1:37 pm

It was classy of The Montreal Canadiens Club to support Mr Souray last year when he was under great family stress. I appreciate that my favourite team stood by him. Too bad much of the Montreal press maligned Mr Souray last season.

For Les Canadiens success next season and in the next few seasons, my greatest wish is:

Sheldon Souray signed to a long-term contract right now so he does not become an unrestricted free agent!

I really enjoy watching him — he is exciting, exacting, a team player and considerate of fans — what more can one want in a Hab?

Please let Mr Souray know I am one of his legion of fans.

Susan