Stormy Weather

• The Tampa Bay Lightning are moving into the Montreal area.

The Lightning are always dangerous in Montreal. Ever since the Lightning swept the Habs in the playoffs in 04, they get special attention no matter how bad their record is.

They have been a strange team this year, currently 13th in the East but boasting the fifth and sixth overall scorers in Vinny Lecavalier and Martin St Louis.

The game plan should be a simple one then, contain St Louis and Lecavalier and you win. Easier said than done. Lecavalier currently has a 7 game point streak.

Not only are they on fire, but in typical Quebecois style those two are always excited and ready to play back at home. They’ll have friends and family at the game and be ready to go.

The Canadiens got some unlikely scoring from Sergei Samsonov against the Bruins. His first goals in 19 games. The big question, will it take another 19 games for him to score again?

Still questionable for the game are Steve Begin and Sheldon Souray, both nursing sore ribs and sore wrist respectively.

Souray was noticeably absent from the Habs powerplay against Boston. The Canadiens had 6 powerplays and converted only 1.

Souray is lethal on the PP but not only when he shoots. Teams have started noticing and paying more attention to him and that opens up the ice for the rest of the Habs PP. Specifically Michael Ryder whose been allowed to freely roam the slot in recent games.

Special teams are the Canadiens strength right now and that’s been the difference in most of their games.

1. #1 smiler2729 says:
    December 14, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Another petition for the good of Montreal Canadiens hockey! The lack of Habs on CBC Hockey Night in Canada and too much Toronto Maple Shits! Please and spread it around.

2. i agree montreal should be on HNIC. the maple queefs suck

3. The Anglophone market in Montreal is just not big enough to justify the spending of ungodly amounts of $ by the CBC to get the rights to the Montreal Canadiens.

Different story in TO as the huge market is reaping in big profits for the CBC. In fact it is considered as a huge cash cow for them.

4. #4 smiler2729 says:
    December 14, 2006 at 12:55 pm

Another petition, to STOP BETTMAN and the NHL from the new jersey redesign for ALL TEAMS! Yes, even the Habs. http://www.PetitionOnline.com/nhl66/

5. Even when the games are on CBC I still watch the RDS feed.
    If they’re going to start advertising Habs games then they need to get some new announcers as well.

6. #6 stevejur says:
    December 14, 2006 at 3:14 pm

HABS BLOG,

I think you should make this petition part of your main headline.
    Some fans start typing before reading other posts.
    The petition info gets lost down the page.

We need to have this petition posted for a few days.
    Everone needs to get aboard.

7. Who cares about the anglo market in Montreal? I am sure the Habs have just as many fans across the country as the Maple Sleeves….

8. I live in Winnipeg and I can assure you that there are more Habs fans here then Leafs. ALthough I did notice when the Jets left alot of those fans turned to the Leafs mainly because they were broadcasted all the time.

9. Vinny and Marty, Then Sid the Kid and Malkin, this could be a rough couple of games if the goaltending isn’t perfect.

10. #10 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 14, 2006 at 7:28 pm

Hey guys, being a Québécois, I like complaining to get what could seem as my fair share, or even a little more. I used to complain alot about CBC not showing habs games and feeling like if the anglo-teams of Canada were getting a ibgger peice of the pie when it came to the CBC broadcasting. Even on NHL network there isn’t even once when they will broadcast the Habs!

But then I thought about it… Would I watch a habs game on CBC or RDS? Its quite clear that mostly everyone would opt for RDS. So maybe thats why CBC doesn’t show the Habs.

By the way. We really need to stop our jerseys from being changed. That’s a way more important thing to keep than to get CBC habs. All the history behind that jersey and Bettman wants to smash it in his palm… That should be a title on this blog

11. #11 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 14, 2006 at 7:45 pm

Souray is back in the lineup :D

12. #12 Habs#1 says:
    December 14, 2006 at 9:09 pm

The Habs may be the most undiciplined team in the NHL right now. Taking all those penalties already in the first have finally caught up to them when Richard’s tied it. It’s been all Vinny and Huet so far.

13. #13 Habs#1 says:
    December 14, 2006 at 9:34 pm

Talk about a slow start, outshot 18-4 in the first period. They’ve got to get their feet moving if they want to survive.

14. #14 fanatic1 says:
    December 14, 2006 at 10:17 pm

Habs are being oushot 33-10 after 2 periods!!!!! DISGRACEFUL!!!! They should be ashamed of themselves!! taking all those PENALTIES! NO DISCIPLINE!! and NO SKATING!! I knew 5 minutez into the game, we would lose! I could see how they were standing still. Nothing lights a fire under this team! DISGRACEFUL!!!! I’m so disappointed in this team. To play in such a manner, and not show up. too many times they have done this. IT CAN”T KEEP ON HAPPENING!! Where is our leader, Koivu? What the hell is going on?

15. #15 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 14, 2006 at 10:38 pm

You guys see that?!? Lapierre is AWESOME!!! FLYING FRENCHMEN TIME!!!

16. #16 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 14, 2006 at 10:56 pm

AH man what a great 3rd period! Saku gets a goal in his 600th game… Watching the habs play is the best :)

17. #17 fanatic1 says:
    December 14, 2006 at 11:13 pm

Boy are we lucky! we certainly didn’t deserve to win it. we were outshot 43-20, and won. But guys, we can’t keep taking all those penalties, and not skate for 40 minutes, and expect to win . on occasion it works,but rarely. I hope they play for 60 minutes on Saturday or Crosby and Malkin will burn us!

18. #18 rhozack says:
    December 14, 2006 at 11:14 pm

Still wondering where Koivu is? Never doubt Saku.

19. This is a game you think they shouldn’t have won but that’s why we have Huet in net (not Aebischer)…This game if it takes a natural course, is over after the first period. They were outshot and outworked. The penalties are simply not acceptable…these will be their undoing if they continue with this bad habit. Oh by the way only 19 more games and Samsonov scores another two. Let’s take these 2 points and give Huet a pat on the shoulders…(remember Roy back when stealing the game…) Go Habs Go!

20. #20 fanatic1 says:
    December 14, 2006 at 11:20 pm

Huet stole the game for the habs. if it weren’t for him, we don’t win.now I know why Tampa is below 500. True, we didn’t have a pp goal, but we scored 2 shorthanded goals. amazing! are we leading the league in shorthanded goals?
    Saturday, it’s HIGGINS TIME! yeah! He’s really going to give our offence a lift.

21. #21 fanatic1 says:
    December 14, 2006 at 11:37 pm

I think Carbo should keep Lapierre with the big team. looks like he belongs in the NHL, and we could use his offensive punch!

22. #22 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 14, 2006 at 11:50 pm

Guys, it isn’t really luck. yes tampa got 43 shots on goal and we got alot less. They don’t count shot blocked by defense neither, don’t forget that. ALSO, the main reason huet is getting so many shots on him is because our defense knows they can rely on huet to stop the shots so they tend to go more on the offense.

Lapierre has won his spot with the habs. Downey and Murray combined don’t even have a point so one of them can be dropped.

As for those two short-handed goals, that makes us the team with the most in the league, even without our super short-hander: Higgins.

And how about streit? Is he not incredible lately?

Seriously, I think that we have a good all-around team. And the chemistry binding the team together makes them able to make HUGe comebacks at the end of games to steal the show.

From what other teams are saying, Montreal is becoming a pretty imposing team. Heck, one journalist for Buffalo said that if there is a team that will stop the Sabres from getting to the Cup finals, it would be the Canadiens. I know its premature to say too much, but if we keep it up, not only will we be a playoff contender, but thinking about making it to the cup might not be so far-fetched!

23. #23 rhozack says:
    December 14, 2006 at 11:51 pm

Who do you think we should cut then? Especially with Higgins coming back.

Tough call, Downey or Murray?

24. I’m signed up on that more Habs on CBC petition. The sweater petition is a great idea as well. I am so sick and tired of the Laffs on tv. The CBC has LOOONGGGG made a Laff hater out of me!! GO HABS GO!!!

25. #25 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 14, 2006 at 11:55 pm

Well, I don’t know why, but we haven’t seen downey lately. Is it because he still has problems from when he had a concussion or is it that Carbonneau beleives Murray is better. If thats the case, then Downey should be the one replaced by Lapierre

26. #26 fanatic1 says:
    December 14, 2006 at 11:58 pm

both of them! neither one of them contributes significantly to help the team. why do you think 1 of them is scratched from every game? I would rather see Lapierre and another body from Hamilton, than Murray and Downey. Bring up the kids! Also trade Aebischer,and bring up danis or that other goalie.( I can’t spell his name, Jarsvlak or something like that).

27. #27 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 15, 2006 at 12:02 am

haha well yeah I guess we could get Kotstystin or whatever it is his name and take ou murray. We all know that Murray will not get any better whereas Kostitstin has potential. As for Aebisher, I say we wait a bit more. He is still useful as a backup because Huet can’t play non-stop and so its good to know that we have a backup that can still help us win games you know.

Of course I think that the best possible trade assets we have is Abby and Souray. I’m only saying Souray because its his last year of contract. I would like to keep him here but we won’t have enough money for it… :(

28. …as posted

But where is the offense…are you implying the wishful thinking offense because they sure lose that puck if they aren’t defending/helping Huet. Besides someone should straighten their thinking caps if that’s what they’re doing…it’s not working! Stop and finish they play. Worry about the offense when you have the puck…Still too many giveaways.

getting only 20 shots means we’re pathetic and very fortunate to bring home two points.

I am all for bringing up Kostitsyn and keeping Lappiere especially if they are an impact…(as a result trading Samsonov and/or Kovalev and Aebischer) is more palatable. My 2 cents…let’s keep the focus and eliminate those darned penalties and play a full 60 minutes. Go Habs Go!

29. #29 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 15, 2006 at 12:17 am

Yeah a big reason we got no offense going is because of penalties.

But one way to look at things is with the little amount of shots we do on net that must mean we have a pretty good scoring percentage for the amount of shot on goal hehe… Best in save percentage is Huet and best for scoring percentage is Montreal? hehe…

30. #30 TonyMuerte says:
    December 15, 2006 at 12:23 am

Streit was awesome tonight. He is the canadiens’ joker this season. And he said that he never played offense in all his career lol. He had 3 of the 4 shots for the canadiens in the 1rst period. Oh, and… is it me or our canadiens seems to be more energetic during the PK if you compare it with the 5vs5?

31. #31 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 15, 2006 at 12:34 am

I think Streit played center during the olympics with the Swiss team… I was over there and I don’t recall seeing him play defense.

Streit and Bonk are truly the two biggest surprises of the year compared to what they did last year.

Being swiss/canadian, glad to see Streit was signed for two years and that hes really doing well!

32. #32 stevejur says:
    December 15, 2006 at 3:21 am

Oh man we can’t keep doing this, 40+ shots.
    Why, Why, Why do we keep taking these stupid penalty’s?
    Rivet almost cost us the game at the end, taking that stupid trip.

We have not been able to prevent these penalty’s since the pre-season.
    It has still continued.

Rivet will be the one cut, we don’t need that crap anymore.
    Markov and Souray will be here to stay.

33. #33 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 15, 2006 at 4:29 am

Rivet would probably keep the same salary to stay here. They are gonna keep him. He’s – whether you like it or not – a guy that is loyal to the habs. I find it a good value to have, but unfortunately Souray is not like that and he will want a higher salary or else will leave if we can’t get him one…

34. One big reason we struggled in the defensive zone last night was because Komi had a rare game off. HE played like s*** last night. I dont think he clared the puck once, I counted at least 12 turnovers in the 2nd period alone from him. ANyways just thought I would mention it. ALthough everyone can have a game off here and there.

Streit played exceptional nad Koivu played like the leader he is. ANd well Huet, I think it goes without saying.

35. Remember Game three of the series vs Tampa in 04. We dominated that game and really took the game to them. A couple of weird goals including the ot winner by Richards from behind the net and we lost. I kinda feel like we deserved a little fortune against them for once adn last night we got it.

36. Hey Habman;

I have probably called CBC over a hundred times complaining about the Laffs on CBC every sat. THey always tell me the same crap. Apparently they get thousands of complaints every year about this. Why is nothing done???

37. #37 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 15, 2006 at 6:16 am

Hey Snake:

What do they tell you when you call them? It would be amusing to know what kind of bogus story they got to tell hehe…

38. #38 Jack Tornton says:
    December 15, 2006 at 8:49 am

where was bonk by then end of the period?? I think he got injured

39. #39 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 15, 2006 at 8:53 am

yeah he was bleeding from a hit he got in his zone… somewhere around the eye? hopefully its not like what saku got before and all it will need are some stitches…

It would hurt to lose him but then again we seem to be able to go through pretty much any obstacle at the moment…

40. #40 fanatic1 says:
    December 15, 2006 at 10:03 am

the problem is, Huet is facing too many shots every game. What kind of shape do you think he will be in by the end of the season? EXHAUSTED AND TOTALLY FATIGUED, WITH NOTHING LEFT!! He was brought he to be a backup, because physically he doesn’t have the capacity to play that many games. he needs help, and he’s not getting it. Carbo is going to run him into the ground, and then watch all the soft goals he lets in. As good as he is,he’s not Brodeur! also, he doesn’t have the same stamina that Brodeur has. Aebischer isn’t an adequate backup. I’m not concerned about now; I am concerned about our goalie situation come playoff time!In April, come back to this post to see, I TOLD YOU SO!

41. #1.

If you had WATCHED the game you would have seen that Rivet didnt even touch the guy with his stick and Yvon and Pierre were yelling for a diving call.Nothing stupid about that other than a blown call by the ref.

#2.

You’re right….Huet IS no Brodeur. He has a better record, better save percentage and better goals against….um…I guess you’re right, unless of course you’re saying that because he is from France he will get tired faster than Martin?, or not be able to concentrate like Martin?

#3

Guys…..really, ya gotta start thinking before you type

#4

Streit wore #7 and played only defense for the Swiss team and was the captain as well.

#5

I feel incredibly sorry for Kovalev. He was so embarrased last night when on his mini break he absolutely whiffed and missed the puck, he couldnt even raise his head. He’s not trying to do this folks. He has a lot of pride and he knows he was one of if not the premiere player in the league in his time, but he also knows it is slippling away. I know he is hurting inside. I hope his flu clears up soon and hopefully the fans wont get on him before he snaps out of his slump.

#6.

The CBC doesnt piss me off half as much as the toronto sports network ( tsn).They are just too stupid to know any better. TSN however is blatant and ignorant in the manner in which they portray the events of games which occured the day before. I have actually seen them discuss Pat Quinn ( when he was coach)having a headache the night before and was considering going to have some tests done making this the number one story. Following this was some footage of a leafs practice with a few interviews to see how the leafs were feeling collectively.This was followed by highlights of all other games held the night before.No mention of the habs!….at the end of the show ( sportsdesk), they mentioned all scores in closing and mentioned in passing that the habs hab beaten florida 4-1…no footage, no highlights….on a game I watched on rds, so I know there was footage available.
    I wrote several letters to them ( insenced! ). I did get a reply, telling me they were too busy to acknowledge my letter but appreciated the fact that I was a TSN fan!….BULLPUCKY!!

42. #42 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    December 15, 2006 at 11:24 am

Izzy,
    Comment #5 – Kovalev was a surprise start last night. He did not practice Wednesday suffering from the Flu. He may not be scoring, but sure looked good setting up Koivu in the thrid. It’s possible he was exhausted from fatigue. I agree he is not 100% some games, but I would cut him some slack last night. Maybe he’s disgruntaled about making about 1/2 of money that players like St. Louis, Lecavalier, or Richards.HA HA

Comment #2 – Huet, when he’s on is arguably the best guy in the NHL in Net. Fantastic1 has a point that he usually he may get tired after a big game and can not start everynight, but Brodeur is not facing over 40 shots a winning games either. I think Huet is the man that could bring home the Cup if the Habs can keep healthy and rested.

Undisputed that Montreal is the most exciting team to watch in Hockey!

As for TSN and CBC – who needs um! The Habs will prevail even if there not in the spotlight!

43. Hey Snake, I to have e-mailed and called CBC and complained VERY LOUDLY about the fact that they always show the Laffs,BUT we as Hab fans have got to keep up the pressure on them or they will think that we want to see the Laffs. It may very well be futile but it is better than throwing in the towel. Keep it up Snake!! Don’t lose faith. GO HABS GO!!!

44. Dont worry I wont. Last time I called I actually got transferred to Some guy in Toronto and we talked for about 30 minutes. Finally he admitted to me he cant stand the Leafs either and that all the propaganda around the Toronto area reagarding the LEafs was driving him insane. But bottom line he told me that even if I sent in a petition with 10000 names they would just laugh it off.