The Boston 3

• The Canadiens take on Boston tonight, the first of three remaining games against the Bruins this year.

Needless to say, the Canadiens playoff chances rest on their ability to defeat teams like the Bruins.

Three games remain against Boston and one against the Capitals. The rest are against teams battling for a spot, or Ottawa and Buffalo who are never easy.

Traditionally at this time of year the Habs have done well against the Bruins. The key perhaps is a win tonight to really damage the hopes of the Bruins who would then fall 7 points behind the Canadiens. A gap that is virtually impossible to overcome this late on.

A Bruins team with damaged confidence knowing they are out of the race, might then be easier to then beat in the remaining games. That’s purely speculation but after watching the Canadiens confidence collapse this season – we’re familiar with what can happen.

Jaroslav Halak is the man once again. The Candiens for the first time in many many games, had a solid goaltending performance and took that crucial extra point against the Leafs.

A no-brainer to go with him again. Halak rebounded well after getting his first NHL beating in Atlanta not long ago, maybe he can keep it up for the remainder of the year.

If Halak outplays Thomas, the Habs have a good chance of putting the Bruins to bed for good with a win tonight.

1. #1 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 20, 2007 at 11:27 am

Yes. Put them into hibernating with their little Teddy Bears.

But seriously.

The Habs need help from teams like Ottawa, Buffalo, Pittsburg to beat the teams that we are battling for the last playoff spot. Pitts. did not help us last night.

It does not look good. BUT wee will see.

2. #2 sallygreene says:
    March 20, 2007 at 11:35 am

Hate to beat a dead horse here, but what do we think about playing Samsonov tonight? Despite his general ostracization, his rare gleams of talent of late seem to have come while playing his old team. And, given the fact that he’s been scratched so long, he may actually come back with some conviction. But, knowing the results of the disasterous habit that the coaching staff seems to have of mixing the lines up when the habs are actually winning, we might just want to hold on to what we have. I agree that the Higgins/Kostistyn/Plecanec line looks dangerous. Either way, tonight might just turn out to be a solid goaltender’s duel. In which case: In Halak we trust.

3. #3 Dalley1 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 12:18 pm

Don’t even think about that.

Kovalev & Samsonov should not play ever again for Montreal.

Carbo has to stick with the same game plan as last Sat. when they beat the Laffs. And Damnit D-men, “DON’T SCREEN HALAK”. Let him see the puck. If you are going to get in front of him block the Damn shot, if not get the hell out of the way…………..

4. #4 Dalley1 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 12:21 pm

OOOOOP’s I broke my silence……….Damn.

I wanted to leave, I really did, but did not have the heart to yet. I’m just a sucker for punnishment…………

5. #5 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 1:11 pm

PLAY SAMSONOV?!?!? Are you retarded Sallygreene?

6. #6 Dalley1 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 1:16 pm

ARE WE READY TO “RUMBLE” ??????

I love Bear Meat. It tastes a lot like Beef.

7. #7 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 1:21 pm

Sorry every one. I don’t normally freak out like that unless I’ve heard something incredibly stupid. The idea of playing Samsonstiff the quitter certainly qualifies.

8. #8 smiler2729 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 1:29 pm

The Boston Bruins:

My last trip to the Forum was a Saturday night in March ‘96 against the Bruins (the Forum closed about 10 days later vs. Dallas)… Boston won 2-1 but there were, as usual, a lot of Bruin fans up from New England that night and my buddy and I ended partying in the local watering holes with some of them til the wee hours (as is the Montreal way). They were pretty cool about the rivalry and had nothing but respect for the Habs as foes and I pretty much feel the same way: I hate the Bruins but at least I respect them where I hate the Leafs and have no respect for any of their moronic obnoxious know-nothing fans.

Samsonov? Carbo wouldn’t, would he? Aebischer? Carbo wouldn’t, would he? I don’t care who plays where for the Canadiens as long as they play hard and fucking WIN baby! Habs 4, Bruins 3

9. #9 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 1:31 pm

I’ve had it with those who think Samsonov has been treated unfairly, or deserves another chance. We are all entitled to our own opinions and all, but the line should be drawn somewhere. Samsonov is done here, he quit on the team before he even griped about his ice-time the frist time, last calendar year. Everything he has done since has been to get the team to buy him out.

Yeah, I said it, have been saying it, and will continue to say it, whether or not anyone else agrees. Scorn me if you like, I do not care. Samsonov quit on the team and has been angling to get bought out for a while now. That piece of shit should be down in the minors, getting used to his new home. Under NO circumstances should the team buy this guy out. NONE!

The way I see it, the demotion will only make his deplorable attitude worse. Fine, I don’t care, cause if it were up to me, he’ll never wear a habs jersey that doesn’t have a Bulldog on it, EVER AGAIN. No one will take him in a trade at his salary, and even recallable waiver method will still see the habs pay half his freight. Gilette has deep pockets: let the lazy, heartless cancer ride some buses for a while. If he turns his cancerous crap on the farm team, I say loan him to some ECHL bottom feeder for a year.

Play Samsonov? They’d better not.

10. #10 Dalley1 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 1:41 pm

I miss my little Buddy I’s do.

11. #11 sallygreene says:
    March 20, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Yup. I was beating a dead horse. By no means was I suggesting that the lineup be fiddled with. Just keep your heads up, that’s all; I’m not sure we’ve seen the last of the freeloading 15, for better or for worse. Most likely for worse.

12. nigelsky,the last blog,post# 131,love’s it!Your other post at to shabby too.Smiler,don’t think that Boston has forgot we beat them when they had SANDERSON, Orr,Esposito,Cashman,Mackenzie,Chevers,AND more! We were the underdogs then and Dryden and co. nailed them to the ice,so from that point on,wars on dude for the next hundred years!

13. #13 Dalley1 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Did I mention that I liked Bear Meat?????????

It’s very good………..

14. #14 Dalley1 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 2:38 pm

Moose meat is very good also………….

15. #15 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Thanks Tricolour. It’s good to see I’m not just a waste of oxygen, like my leaf fan brother always said…

16. #16 Dalley1 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair…….

17. #17 Dalley1 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 2:50 pm

We are a Huntin Bear tonight Byes…………..I hope to have a feed of Bear tomorrow……..

By the way, What kind of bear are the Bruins? Grizzly?

18. #18 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 2:56 pm

They are the worst form of bear—a care bear.

19. #19 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 3:11 pm

Just read the online gazette articles (I’m running behind sked today,) and Radek Bonk says he has lost 5 or 6 pounds battling the flu. Apparently, chicken Boullion was all he could keep down…And Halak is starting tonight, which is far better than David “Swiss Cheese” Aebisieve and Mike “Revolving Door” Leighton. Rumour has it that Melanson will be suited up tonight, while Abisieve and luggage Leighton will be playing with a beachball in the parking lot…

20. #20 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 20, 2007 at 3:32 pm

F
    Begin-Koivu-Ryder
    Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
    Kovalev-Lapierre-Latendresse
    Johnson-Bonk-Streit
    D
    Souray-Niinamaa
    Bouillion-Dandeneault
    Komisarek-Markov
    G
    Halak

These were the projected lines for tonight according to the practice line ups – ~Gazette, TSN

Interesting move putting Begin on the Top line… maybe he can get in front of the net and cause some disturbance… Dandy back to D thought he was more productive on Offense (or at least less destructive than his defense).. Kovy playing with the kids on 3rd line. we’ll see how things progress during the tonights game!

21. #21 Dalley1 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 3:51 pm

What should I drink with me feed of Bear, Red or White wine?

22. #22 Dalley1 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 3:51 pm

Maybe just old fashion Beer…………

23. #23 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 20, 2007 at 4:02 pm

Labatts 50′s Dalley!… I heading to FL and will not be able to see the games tonight. I will be checking updates on Layovers… Go luck to the HaBS and NOT to the teams in the race with us!
    I am outta here!
    GO HABS GO…

24. The Canadiens need to come out and play hard tonight so that they can put some distance between themselves and the Bruins. Come on Montreal, they normally play well in big games against the Bruins, hopefully they can play well again tonight. Go Habs Go!!

Ziman

25. #25 LeBeau says:
    March 20, 2007 at 5:04 pm

nigelski…I’m with you buddy. If you buy Samsonov out, he’ll find another team and will then be making WAY too much money with his new contract + the buyout. Put him in the minors, that’s where he belongs.

Our discussions about Samsanov should end. There’s no need to talk about him anymore. We all hate his attitude and I think we all agree that he belongs with the Bulldogs next season. He needs to be fed a dose of reality.

I love how Halak played Saturday night against the Leafs. How confident did he look, eh?

Go Habs Go!!!

26. #26 Joshtm says:
    March 20, 2007 at 5:37 pm

Never mind Sammy, I am sure he’ll contribute if he decides to actually shoot the puck instead of hogging it to show he’s the world’s best stick handler, the only problem is he doesn’t have size enough to keep the damn puck…so much of being a great stickhandler…

The problem is: Dandenault and Bouillon, I can’t say it enough. They are the one two knockout punch to the sad forward line, just pick em: Koivu, Johnson, or hey Kovalev and Ryder, any combination, and Dandenault and Bouillon will make sure the Bruins get quality shots on Halak, heck they’ll go out of their way to trip Halak, screen him, no I am not talking about the Bruins, I am talking about the great Anti-Habs, Dandenault and Bouillon….!!!!

27. #27 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 6:16 pm

So I take it you won’t be bidding on any Dandy/Chicken soup boy jerseys on e-bay then, eh Joshtm? They’ll still sell, somehow…to someone. Not me either though, trust. I’ll take an autographed Kostitsyn though, it’s the Baskin Robin’s flavor of the week.

28. #28 Joshtm says:
    March 20, 2007 at 6:23 pm

I just don’t see what Carbo or Gainey see the mystical duo of Dandy and Bouilly, what are they? Same sex marriage on ice or what? What we can’t crap on those flaming queers? Just because one of them is from Quebec?

29. #29 HABMAN says:
    March 20, 2007 at 6:24 pm

Yeah, I agree with the comments above about having respect for the Bruins and hatred also BUT I always respected the Boston Bruins as a franchise and I actually feel sorry for their fans with the way the ownership puts money and profits over and above icing a competitive team. The Toronto Maple Laffs on the other hand, have conspired and cajoled throughout the NHL’s history to hurt the Habs at every opportunity from Conn Smythe meddling in League affairs with respect to the Rocket Richard suspension in 1955 to the complete control of the media in this country that never has anything good to say about the Canadiens.

I WILL NEVER HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR A FRANCHISE FROM TORONTO.

30. Hey Habsblog, why aren’t you stopping copying other sources??? That is like the 10th time I see you doing this.

You can do better than that. Imagine seeing this website on the headlines of Gazette. Article son Habsblog are directly copies from other sites???????

31. #31 Joshtm says:
    March 20, 2007 at 6:41 pm

Hey Jack in all fairness, this site has a lot of original thoughts, many of which have been plaguerized by the media, heck even Kovalev himself I think, but if you look at the time Habsblog posted theirs to hockeybuzz, it seems with a bit of rudimentary logic and deductions, elementary my Dear Watson! You will see 10:59 for hockeybuzz and 10:53 for the Habsblog. So it too hockeybuzz six minutes of reading our posts to cut and paste….you are so busted Jack Tornton, with you and your blog the hockeybuzz! Good try though!

32. #32 Joshtm says:
    March 20, 2007 at 6:54 pm

In a way, this is like watching the ebbing waters on a dam just before the flood!

The Sabres have always been a tough nut to crack! They are way down the road, just far enough down where Montreal if it plays its cards right could snatch a spot only to have Buffalo make Montreal lose it! That is how close the race is….unless Gainey plans by bringing up the Sabre killers Grabby and Milroy, we are doomed to watch hopelessly as they knock all of our stars down in successive order, beginning with Welcome Mat Johnson, who has spent more time on the ice crawling as he has done skating…honestly, and he gets paid over a million for that! and then little Koivu, and then checking the crap outta Kovalev, and Markov, and Ninnima, and then pushing over the wallflowers Dandy and Bouilly….and finally making Sheldon knock our own goalie over in disgust! I amazed at the skill the Sabres have in turning the Habs inside out! That is unless we plan by bringing up some rookies to kill the Sabres! And secure a playoff spot!

33. #33 habsfan_for_life1212 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 6:57 pm

that was a nice piece of detective work Joshtm.
    who else noticed the times for habsblog and hockeybuzz? honestly?

34. #34 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 6:57 pm

Is it possible they are the same person, and he just posts the same blogs to several sites? I don’t know myself, but it’s pretty cheap if it is plagiarism. I know that I put some of the ideas i post here into my myspace blog, which is usually about the habs, but even then I word it differently. ( I don’t even know how to cut and paste)

35. #35 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 6:59 pm

You have to learn how to crawl before you can skate. Or do you?

36. #36 Joshtm says:
    March 20, 2007 at 7:09 pm

I guess Muller musta taught Johnson the finer points of being a wuss, you know, how to crumple and fall apart at the slightest brush, next time like tonite, just watch Johnson, and hey if you have a stopwatch, you’ll see he spends more time falling down, and getting up as he does actually playing….what, Johnson doesn’t know how to skate or what? Honestly, what Gainey saw in him, who knows, maybe its all part of some NHLPA payola scheme, where players give the GM a kickback as long as they get a million dollar salary, that would place Johnson as the biggest payola suspect…how else does this explain the really shitty roster we presently have?

37. #37 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 7:27 pm

I got center ice, and man are these Boston commentators rough…Just sais what a great chance chistov had–it would have been, had the net been 20 feet off the ice surface. just got ripped off a too many men penalty, after the Boston player getting off the bench touched the puck, with 5 other guys out there. GRR

I always have wondered why teams don’t lay a bead on the line changes, you know, throw the puck @ the extra guy before he can stop himself from touching it, and garner a pile of penalties that way. A well disciplined team could feast on those kind of mistakes.

38. #38 Oil Country Habs Fan says:
    March 20, 2007 at 7:29 pm

AK, Pleky and Higgins are looking good. Lets see if that line can score 5 on 5. Everybody seems to forget we suck at even strength. I’m sure everybody knows our secret is the PP and if the Bruins are smart they’ll watch their penalties and win. Sorry to be a downer, but that’s the way it is and the way it will go.

39. #39 Iceberg14 says:
    March 20, 2007 at 7:31 pm

i hope they play samsonov…i stopped watching the habs after carbo started benching him..he would have the most points on the team if he got all the powerplay time that koivu souray ryder higgins and kovalev got…which wouldn’t be many cause we have no stars, just a bunch of mediocre hockey players…i couldn’t care less if we win another game this season…i’ll wait till this disaster of a season blows over…feel free to bitch me out..i can back it up

40. I’m liking what I’m seeing so far ,the lines are looking good ,what’s up with Kovalev falling down all over the place?And who ‘s been teaching Niinamaa defence lately?Lapierre needs to introduce himself to Tim Tomas,heh heh!

41. #41 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 7:37 pm

Another Samsonov supporter…they need their own support group. Sadly, that place is not here…

42. Samsonov who?????????????

43. #43 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Lots of shots thus far, but mostly weak ones from the perimeter. that with the 1st all but over, still 0-0

44. #44 nigelski says:
    March 20, 2007 at 7:48 pm

Have to watch Attack of the Show on tech tv during weak boston intermission… That Olivia Munn is one smokin hot sweetheart. If you haven’t seen her, you are missing out, trust.

45. #45 Joshtm says:
    March 20, 2007 at 7:51 pm

“be patient” is what Kirk Muller says, hey Kirk, its into your second year of rebuilding for God’s Sake! Its not like as if spending two years to show how Dandy and Bouilly can be pretty crappy, and showing Johnson the finer points of being a wuss, honestly Kirk, ya gots to be kidding me…Kirk me son, this is the end of the season almost, patience is not the key now sonny boy, this is the NHL, you don’t have a lifetime to tinker, these bastards ain’t got what it takes, Johnson was always a door mat, always will be a door mat, you can’t make a cadillac outta a friggen traffic cop moped for God’s sake! Honestly.

But I must say the boys are playing like they wanna win for once, even Ninny…

46. #46 R habs 4 real says:
    March 20, 2007 at 7:56 pm

why exactly is Begin(a 4th line defensive player), doing on the 1st line?
    Guess Carbo doesn’t want any offence from the habs, and it shows!
    Do you know any weaker 1st lines in hockey than the hab’s?
    Pathetic! Come to think of it, every line is a defensive line! There is simply NO OFFENCE! BORING!

47. #47 Dan Im Fed UP says:
    March 20, 2007 at 8:17 pm

If we really had 4 defensive lines we wouldn’t be -20 something.

48. What’s weird about this game is the fact that even though the Habs are carrying the play ,they can’t pass or shoot or play together so far.They are controlling their end for the most part and Halaks doing great so we’ll see,eh.

49. What’s called for here is the mitey Souray blastshot,a whole bunch of those missiles will get the needed results!!!

50. #50 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 20, 2007 at 8:36 pm

The Habs power play is on fire tonight.

Oh the Habs just scored……………..