The Final Stretch

• The Habs have just six games remaining in their regular season schedule. The battle for the playoffs is fierce and involving several teams rather than just a couple.

The Canadiens take on the Rangers tonight and once more before the season’s end. Needless to say the team that does better in those meetings is going to have a better chance at the post-season.

Both teams are coming in hot, the Rangers with the NHL’s hottest goalie are riding a 5 game winning streak. The Habs accomplished their job of beating the non-contending teams and will face a stiffer challenge in the last stretch.

6-0 to finish the year would be ideal, but improbable. A record of 4-2 might be what the Habs need to slide into one of the remaining spots. As long as those victories include the games against the Rangers and Leafs. As always, the extra point can and will continue to haunt the Canadiens who without that rule, would currently be above Carolina in the standings.

If the Habs do lose, the Ottawa and Buffalo games would be the place to do it without giving up too much ground. Although the Habs have challenged against Buffalo in nearly every game this year.

There’s simply too many options, too many potential results and outcomes involving too many teams. The season will probably come down to the last game of the year in Toronto. Maybe even the day after as the Islanders will play their final game on the following Sunday.

Bottom line, the playoffs are attainable. If the Canadiens focus and win their important games, the rest will take care of itself. It’s for them to earn and prove they belong.

Three teams will be in, and three will miss by a hair. Victory, and bitter bitter defeat.

Either way, this is exciting. This is what hockey’s all about. The best time of year for hockey starts tonight and the Bell Centre will be jumping.

1. #1 Alestar says:
    March 27, 2007 at 11:10 am

If only they had shown the same grit and determination they have over the past few games back in January and February.

C’mon Habs, 6-0!!!

2. #2 The Truth says:
    March 27, 2007 at 11:14 am

It will be tough. The most important games are the ones against the other teams in the race.

April 7th in TO might decide things. My stomach is in knots at the thought.

3. #3 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 27, 2007 at 11:28 am

IF this, IF that.

Carbo should have stayed with Halak in every game since he started his first & not played Abbyshit. IF, IF, IF Carbo had done this we, The Habs would be in 6th spot right now.

BUT what is done is done. It is too late to close the gate after the horse gets out.

The Habs just have to bring it from now on. A full 60 mins. a game.

Come on boys. Lets GO MAD ON EVERYONE’S ASSES.

4. #4 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 27, 2007 at 11:48 am

I was at the last meeting in NY and along with man Habs fans the team was flat and could not put anything together. Things are different now… The way we’ve played, energy of for the playoff race, and the negative pressure experienced at the trade deadline and slumps have diminshed.

Back then the atmosphere, was one of dispare, how to stop the bleeding, and how t overcome a dim future.

New days have opened the door for people to see the light and possibilities. It is time the habs to stand among the contenders and let be known that they are not going to go down the ‘path of of the Laff’! Beating NYR, from what I see as the 2nd toughest bubble team, will instill fear to the East, dash the hopes of the weak, and establish us in a favorable position to make the playoffs.

True champions are those who overcome impossible odds. No one remembers a team that is suppose to lose until they win!

Go Habs Go

5. #5 Alestar says:
    March 27, 2007 at 12:15 pm

Saw this on TSN’s web-site:

Islanders’ DiPietro out indefinitely

TSN.ca Staff

3/27/2007 11:10:44 AM

The New York Islanders’ playoff hopes have suffered a significant blow.

Netminder Rick DiPietro is out indefinitely, suffering from post-concussion syndrome. Sources tell TSN DiPietro is not feeling well and did not pass a neuro-psychological exam and will be out of the lineup until he feels better and can pass the test.

DiPietro suffered the initial injury in a collision with Steve Begin of the Montreal Canadiens on March 13. He missed the next two games and the Islanders lost both, giving up 13 goals in the process. He returned to action on March 20 and played in four games, posting two wins and two overtime losses. Now, though, he’s affected by symptoms from post-concussion syndrome and there’s no telling when he’ll be back in the lineup.

6. CANADIENS-DAWG, another one of those “If-I-were-coach-we-would-be-number-one” poster. Godda love those. Halak won the first 3 games without really doing much and then played some horrible games. He’s been playing very well the last few ones and he’s the right goalie to use now for sure. But it was not always like this.

7. #7 R habs 4 real says:
    March 27, 2007 at 12:26 pm

Tonight, is a MUST WIN, or it’s all over. If we win tonight, we should play Halak on Friday, and Huet on Saturday. After all, what’s the point of having a healthy goalie, and not letting him play? I have stated my views on Souray. Resigning him, is a total waste of cap money, which I would rather see going towards getting a power scoring center, which we are STILL DESPERATELY IN NEED OF! Back on D, we need someone who will STOP the opposition, NOT a player who gives the other team goals! Souray gives away the puck, MORE than he can score. My prediction for next year? he won’t score more than 14 goals! So put that prediction in a safe place, and bring me up on that next year, same time, so I can tell you� I TOLD YOU SO�! 1 good offensive year, and everyone thinks he’s a superstar! Give me a break! He will be making you eat those words next year. He will be next year’s version, of this year’s Samsonov, you’ll see!
    Back to the playoffs, should we hope leafs beat Carolina? That could mean leafs get into the playoffs, and we don’t. Remember, they, too, have thst almight GAME IN HAND, which they will use on Sunday, when they play RANGERS in NY. So who should we root for? I guess it depends on how the habs do. If we win tonight, go leafs go!

8. #8 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 27, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Can you read TOM? Can you eh? Did I say IF “I” were Coach? NO I did not. So hook the shit out of your eyes ok.

All the games that Halak played, most of the goals were not his fault. He would have bounced back as he is doing now.

Some People in here can’t friggin read……….

9. #9 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 27, 2007 at 12:32 pm

R habs 4 real:

I disagree with your comments about Huet. You go with who is hot. If Halak keeps on winning you go with him. Huet is not healthy he still needs to rest.

10. #10 R habs 4 real says:
    March 27, 2007 at 12:41 pm

HUET IS READY! Do you watch Montreal local sports on tv? They said, he’s almost ready, and could play this weekend. And before we start saying how fantastic Halak is, remember who he beat. Boston twice, and Washington. Teams with no offence, and in the bottom of the league! If he beats NYR, Ottawa, and Buffalo, then I’ll agree with you. If he gets shellacked by NYR or Ottawa, Huet is in! 1 bad outing and they’ll put Huet in. But we need to win at least 5 out of 6 games, so Halak must perform very well! the other contending teams, like NYR are getting superlative efforts from their goalie. I think it’s going to be a low scoring game tonight, and the score maybe 2-1, or 3-1 in our favor. If we come out strong and play 60 minutes, we’ll win. It’s just that simple.

11. #11 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 27, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Halak will be OK if our D-men will help him out by clearing the rebounds, taking the man and getting out of his way.

12. #12 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 27, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Remember Huet was not so great before his injury.

13. #13 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 27, 2007 at 1:05 pm

Huet is another Theodore. Good one year not so great the next and then useless the 3rd year.

Bash me if you want, it is the truth.

14. #14 R habs 4 real says:
    March 27, 2007 at 1:14 pm

Huet may not be that great, but still better than Theodore or Abbyshit!
    And it gives the habs a bit more security, knowing that if Halak gets injured, Huet can step in. Remember, it was about 6 weeks ago, that everyone on this blog was so upset at the thought of Huet being lost for the rest of the season. It was doom and gloom. Remember? It’s hard to say just how good Halak is, but he will definitely get his chance against the best teams, NYR, Ottawa, and maybe Buffalo. It’s these teams that will determine our fate. we’ll see what Halak and the habs are made of.

15. #15 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 27, 2007 at 1:16 pm

Can Halak do it this year. Lets hope so.

16. @CANADIENS-DAWG:
    I agree with you on Huet. He is way overrated. I’ve seen him play in Europe and here and he’s solid, but I think he’s not the Star-goalie people want to see in him.

About the other comment: You wrote that “IF Carbo played Halak, the Habs would be in 6th spot right now.” So I assumed that’s what you would have done IF you were coach. I know that you didn’t write “IF I were coach…”, and that’s not the point. It’s always easy to criticize the coach’s decision and claim that we know better and that our ideas would take the team to the playoffs. No one can prove the opposite, right? ;-)

17. #17 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 27, 2007 at 1:24 pm

R habs 4 real:

You have a strong point. Don’t get me wrong I don’t want it to look like I am arguing with you.

I’m just wishing that we have maybe found another Dominik Hasex….

18. #18 fan4066 says:
    March 27, 2007 at 1:33 pm

6-0. I guess this is a test to see how bad they really want it. Trust me, they are going to have to want it REALLY BAD

19. #19 The Truth says:
    March 27, 2007 at 1:38 pm

‘The Carolina Hurricanes rode Cam Ward, who was also the same age last season (as Halak is today), straight into the Stanley Cup Final, eventually winning it all.’

The Hurricanes were also miles better than this incarnation of the Habs. One game at a time boys!

20. #20 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 27, 2007 at 1:44 pm

The Truth:

Not this year……….

21. #21 R habs 4 real says:
    March 27, 2007 at 1:48 pm

I’m afraid we’re going to have to root for a leafs win tonight. Even tho the thought of wanting leafs to win turns my stomach, we need their help.It’s important for Carolina to lose 2 games, mostly because they have an easier schedule, and 1 GAME IN HAND! But after tonight, we can go back to wishing bad luck for the laffs, and hopes we get in, and they don’t! We also need to beat them in our final game. But we might need their help again on Sunday, when they play NYR in NY. That will depend on how the habs fare tonight and their weekend games.

22. #22 fan4066 says:
    March 27, 2007 at 1:48 pm

Cam Ward is a great goaltender….I wish we had em

23. #23 fan4066 says:
    March 27, 2007 at 1:55 pm

this is it: its not easy either

Mar. 27 N.Y. Rangers
    Mar. 30 at Ottawa
    Mar. 31 Buffalo
    Apr. 3 Boston
    Apr. 5 at N.Y. Rangers
    Apr. 7 at Toronto

24. This don’t sign Souray bullshit is so embarrassing for me on this blog site,what a crazy bunch of statments about our only superstar.I just thought I’d remind you,when the Hab fowards are scoring ,then Souray’s D game gets huge,he doesn’t have to do every body’s job.Yeah ,I don’t think I would want the Habs to have to play against him till he’s in his 40′s,lol.YOU THOUGHT JOHN LECLAIR WAS HARD ON US????Stay with Halak till things go bad,screw Huet,the defence plays much better around the kid,can’t believe Halak was drafted in the 9th round,someboby deserves a hug and a kiss,man. Oh yeah,let’s replace Souray with….Niimimaa..lol crazy,crazy,crazy,crazy………

25. #25 fan4066 says:
    March 27, 2007 at 2:05 pm

Your right with that thought. I think they should leave Halak in….this will force the defence to play a larger game, and also force the offence to try harder as well. Not that Halak is aweful, but he needs all the confidnece he can get with Montreal’s offensive frenzy of late

26. #26 R habs 4 real says:
    March 27, 2007 at 2:43 pm

Souray a superstar? what a joke! How many superstars have a -21 rating?
    Name one player! And how many goals did he score last year? He gives up more goals than he scores. If I was a goal scorer, I would be licking my chops knowing Souray is the only player I had to get by, in order to score.
    Next year he will be horrible, you’ll see. HUGE, HUGE, MISTAKE FOR GAINEY TO RESIGN HIM! As it is, Gainey made a huge mistake by not letting go at the trade deadline. We couild have gotten at least 2, #1 picks for him. And no way is he worth 5 million! It kills me to think we didn’t trade him, for a future of young talent. You guys think, 1 great offensive year, and he’s a stsr. Well, in his career, he’s NEVER had a rating better than -21, and you think that is good? Souray is NOT a defenceman; he’s an offenceman!
    Well, if we keep him, enjoy it when opposing players are deking him out of his skates, as they whiz by to score, or when he puts the winning goal on opposing players sticks! Even all the broadcasters around the league know he is brutal as a D man.

27. #27 fan4066 says:
    March 27, 2007 at 2:47 pm

my son is a defencemen…maybe I should ask Gainey if he want to bring em up for the playoffs!

28. #28 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 27, 2007 at 3:08 pm

I say lets leave the Souray trade talk until the seasons over because nothing is going to happen at this point and we should be worring about the TEAM getting in the playoffs which includes Souray as a part of this year’s team.

Let the Laffs talk about the Offseason crap!

29. It wouldn’t be realistic to think the Canadiens can win all 6 games from now until the end of the season but if they can win at least 4, that might get them in. Remember Tampa Bay had 92 points last year and they got in. Maybe we might be able to as well, however we need some help from some of the other teams too. If we can split those two games against the Senators and Sabres, then we might have an even better chance. If say we can somehow beat the Senators on the road, then it will give us some extra confidence for the game against the Sabres the next night! Anyways, as for who should be in net for the rest of the season, Carbonneau should alternate the goalies like he did earlier in the season with Abbyshit and Huet. Speaking of Abbyshit, he should never play another game for the Canadiens again, he sucks!!! He is not as bad as Theodore and I think Montreal won the trade with Colorado, but he is one of the players Montreal should not bring back, like Samsoshit!! Those two players are turds who should be flushed down the toilet. They DO NOT deserve to wear the CH, case closed!! Talk later!

Ziman

30. Thanks,R habs 4 real,you just the stage for a great game from SOURAY. I don’t know how this works lately but as soon as someone picks on a Hab player they go and have a great game ie.,Kovalev,Niinimaa,Ryder,Higgens,Halak etc.The only players it doesn’t work on is Abbishit and Samsonov !!!lol
    The Habs have got to be physical for 60 minutes and pepper Lot’s of shots at their goalie, don’t get distracted by the likes of Avery,and for Gods sake don’t let Jagger out of your sights ,send Lapierre and Bonk after him.No penalties tonite boys and skate like you can.Make the Rangers look like the little girls they really are,GO HABS !!!

31. #31 R habs 4 real says:
    March 27, 2007 at 6:06 pm

Hey, whatever it takes to make the habs win, it’s fine with me. If Souray has a great game, I’ll be happy.
    TRICOLOR: Do you honestly believe I don’t want Souray to do well? Nothing would make me happier, than for him to score 2 goals, and the habs to win. I only stated what I think is going to happen next year, that’s all. My heart is always with the habs, and I dearly hope we make the playoffs. It’s a time to concentrate on the wins, right?

32. #32 R habs 4 real says:
    March 27, 2007 at 6:10 pm

the habs need to stay focused for 60 minutes. They can’t relax no matter what the score is, and they can’t take any stupid penalties. If we have to play the neutral zone trap, then do it, but we also need to score enough goals.
    So guys play hard,good D, and no stupid penalties. That should do it!
    Koivu is long overdue, and hasen’t scored for a while. Maybe tonight is the night!

33. Koivu has to have a big game tonite,he has been such the non factor as of late,his team needs him to crank up the volume. So if your listening little fella, the time is now,we are all going to be watching your performance Captain Koivu,and if you blow it ,I guarantee the BIG C goes to Souray next year and that will cause a aneurysm in R habs 4REAL; and you’ll be responsible for taking out a Habs fan too!

34. #34 OncEaHaB says:
    March 27, 2007 at 7:00 pm

Re: Post 26

R Habs, Souray has only had two seasons at -21 or worse, counting this one.

Also, it would a huge mistake to let Souray go. We all know that he isn’t the most defensive D-man, but that’s not what we want from him. What we need to do is find another defenceman or two that has a defensive style to compliment his play. It makes way more sense to keep the offensive assets that Souray brings and find some defensive assets to go with it. That’s the beautiful thing about hockey, it takes more than one superstar to have a great team. Look at Ovechkin and Crosby this year. One is surrounded by good players to compliment him, and his team is going to the playoffs. Keep Souray and get him some help.

Tricolour, lets hope we get a big game from every player tonight. Think of how good we could be if every player stepped it up when it mattered.

GO HABS GO!

35. #35 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 27, 2007 at 7:40 pm

GO HABS GO.

Lets go boys we are playing playoff hockey now. It is do or die for us. Lets kick some Newyork Ass…Yeah Baby Yeah….

36. #36 OncEaHaB says:
    March 27, 2007 at 7:57 pm

Man!!! Was that a PK! They were on fire, they lost it though back on 5 on 5… Need to step it up boys!

GO HABS GO!

37. #37 Joshtm says:
    March 27, 2007 at 8:02 pm

I agree, when we waste money on Samsonov, Niinima and the two idiots Dandy and Bouilly, it would be stupid to lose Souray because we used up what little money there is.

What a stupid penalty for Komisarek to get, especially when we are short handed. Let’s hope Carbo doesn’t play Dandy and Bouilly….that would be really screwed up thing to do.

38. #38 OncEaHaB says:
    March 27, 2007 at 8:03 pm

You’ve got to be kidding me… These f_cking blind refs just gave NY its first goal. Those were horrible calls. So much for good refs this game

39. F u *k,FU@K,FUK ,PHOQUE ..PENALITIES!!!

40. #40 Joshtm says:
    March 27, 2007 at 8:04 pm

Damn! Boully just tripped Halak, typical Carbo, play friggen Bouilly on a short handed…you would think Carbo would realize Bouilly is crap!

41. #41 OncEaHaB says:
    March 27, 2007 at 8:08 pm

He’s been playing Johnson on the PK too… This is quickly devolving into a choke… It definately looks like something is becoming lodged in the teams throat…. They’re gasping for air…. Turning purple… They need to wake up

42. The Habs have got to keep hitting hard ,Rangers have big controlling Dmen,keep slaming them against the boards and skate skate skate !!!

43. O H NO MR BILL !

44. #44 OncEaHaB says:
    March 27, 2007 at 8:16 pm

Wow, this is going from bad to worse

45. #45 Joshtm says:
    March 27, 2007 at 8:16 pm

As soon as they can knock little Koivu over they know they own the habs!

You would think Friggen Gainey would have brought up Milroy or Grabby if only to keep someone like Straka down!

There is still hope, You just know Ryder is trying hard, the same with Kovalev, but I think knocking Kosty down was the biggest mistake Rangers could ame cause that’s gonna piss Lapierre and Lat off!

46. #46 Dan Im Fed UP says:
    March 27, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Nice job dmen! Screen Halak some more.

47. #47 R habs 4 real says:
    March 27, 2007 at 8:17 pm

I T’S O V E R ! I T ‘S O V E R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THE HABS DID NOT SHOW UP IN THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PATHETIC ! NO SKATING! NO OFFENCE! NO DEFENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NO PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THIS TEAM DOESN’T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NO HEART! NO DESIRE! NO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’M FED UP WITH LOSERS!
    THEY DIDN’T EVEN TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. AVERY ,that bastard is a habs killer,fuk I HATE HIM!!

49. #49 OncEaHaB says:
    March 27, 2007 at 8:22 pm

I think R habs is having a mental breakdown… Hopefully someone steps up in the dressing room and motivates these guys. They could use the rookies as an example of how to play.. The young guys are playing well, but they’re getting no help.

50. #50 CANADIENS-DAWG says:
    March 27, 2007 at 8:23 pm

Well, Well, Well. What else is new. Montreal taking penalities again. Down 2 goals again in the first period. They did not show up again tonight. They don’t deserve to make the playoffs. The leafs are leading 3-1. They won’t come back to win this one. NewYork is not one of the bottom feeders that the Habs beat. The habs can’t beat a good team. That’s it. Bottom line. All of the Habs games are against good teams.

Again Halak no chance on the 2 goals. They can’t beat the teams ahead of them.

IT’S OVER BOYS. IT’S OVER.

I was sick in the head to think that Montreal could make the playoffs.