Thrasher Alert

• So the Thrashers visit the Habs tonight in Montreal where Serge Savard’s #18 will get raised to the famous Montreal rafters.

The bad news about the Thrashers, they score a lot of goals. 75. Second only to Buffalo.

The good news, they allow a lot of goals. 5th worst in the League.

The key to the Thrashers has always been to contain their offense, take advantage of their weak defense. Easier said than done.

Cristobal Huet is getting the call as he has been the better of the two goalies in recent games.

Janne Niinimaa will watch from the press box again. Under what circumstances will he make a return to the starting roster? Dandenault is back, Bouillon is close. Janne may get an extended pass to the nosebleeds.

1. The Thrashers have lost 3 games in a row and are tired because they played Dallas friday night. The Canadiens, who lost their last game, have not yet lost 2 games in a row this season and will want to bounce back from that 5-1 loss in Florida. So, in paper, id say the Canadiens are favorite. But, as it so often happens in sports, the pregame favorite loses. It is really hard to predict the result of games. That’s why most people lose on sports-betting.

2. Bet on the Canadiens coming out strong….(if I was Carbonneau, I’d have them skating for a good portion of tomorrow’s AM). Huet has to play much better and I would expect for him to start shutting out teams. That is of course if the defense can do something and not just stand around and watch. I look for Kovalev to play with more uumph! and also for Ryder to implicate himself more…Let’s see what happens. Go Habs Go!

3. #3 smiler2729 says:
    November 18, 2006 at 6:42 pm

Niinimaa? Who’s Niimimaa? Shows how badly Gainey wanted to get rid of Mike Ribeiro… it’s still a good trade!

4. #4 kazmojo says:
    November 18, 2006 at 7:45 pm

We all love to hate Ribeiro, and now it gets worse: 13 pts in 15 games with Dallas, and a +5 rating. I make myself feel better by thinking that it must be his teammates carrying him again…

5. Ribeiro would not be playing as well as he is if he was still in Montreal. I’m starting to wonder how bad Kovalev’s knee is bothering him or if he’s just using it as an excuse. He hasn’t had any jump all season and he can’t seem to skate that well. If his knee has become an irreversible problem than that’s terrible news for the Habs cause after this season they’ll still have 2 years left at 4.5 million a season. And if he’s not trying than his contract is still an albatross.

Huet and the defence better be ready to go tonight,especially in the first, for the Hossa/Kovalchuk chainsaw that might run through them. A team that played the night before generally come out like there’s no tommorow in the first cause they’ve only got the gas for one period. Don’t forget about Slava Kozlov though, he’s in a contract year and playing like it. Out of their 75 goals, 39 have been scored by those three.

Hopefully the first line has a much better game tonight and that Ryder finally breaks out of his slump.

And a final note about how crappy CBC’s hockey coverage is. They’re playing the T.O. vs. New Jersey game on every station across the country so I’m sitting here having to listin to the Savard Ceremony on the radio through the internet. They did the same thing with the Geoffrion jersey retiring. CBC sucks.

6. #6 Habbeisher says:
    November 18, 2006 at 8:46 pm

HaBs4EveR said: hey, just a reminder, have all of you signed the quebec nhl petition? I’m just saying it because the signatures don’t seem to be going in as much as they used to. So if you know people that haven’t signed it yet, well get them to go on Quebecnhl.com! Imagine the return of a Nordique-Habs rivalry!!!

Yeah he’s right, I mean, I’ve only seen it go up like 5k signatures since last summer, and they need 500k total for it to work. By the time Quebec ever gets another team, the habs might actually get another Cup lol…

7. #7 fanatic1 says:
    November 18, 2006 at 9:40 pm

guys, we were ROBBED! that was a goal in the 1st period, and we didn’t get credit for it. Their goaltender reached past the goal line to catch the puck. It was obvious.we’re still having difficulty clearing the puck from our zone. Is their any chance SAVARD will come out of retirement to play D for us?We need him!

8. fanatic, while Sammy was robbed he isn’t the first. The EXACT same thing happend to Alex Tanguay in a game against the Blues last week and Rick Nash in the Olympics last season. If you can’t clearly see the puck across the line it’s a no go. Even though you know it’s in, you can’t physically prove it.

Have I mentioned CBC sucks?

9. #9 HaBs4EveR says:
    November 18, 2006 at 10:26 pm

Haha thats what happens when you can’t speak or understand french and your stuck having to watch the maple laffs play on CBC or TSN… RDS Rocks baby!

10. Actuellement, je peut parler français. Juste parce que je vit dans Alberta ne veut dire pas que je suis juste un Anglophone ignorant. Ne fais pas les jugements des personnes avant que tu a tout les fait.

11. #11 HaBs4EveR says:
    November 18, 2006 at 10:53 pm

ah eh bien là le problème ce n’est pas seulement CBC… c’est que t’as pas RDS. Sinon tu pourrais voir le match. Mais par contre tu es originalement Québécois ou bien t’as appris le français là-bas? Parce que je suis présentement aux Études à Ottawa et je peux te garantir que la plupart des Canadiens-anglais ne savent pas parler français…

12. Mon père était né en Montréal et il a mettait moi dans l’immersion français quand j’était un enfant. Un demi de mon famille vit en Montréal. Moi et mon père vas essaiyait de acheter RDS sur notre Satellite en temps pur les séries d’élimination.

And juste for everyone, I’m most definitly young enough(not even 19 yet), were living with my parents isn’t sad or weird.

13. Another great game by the ‘Cristowall’. Clear cut #1. And it’s really good to get back on track after the blowout loss. Hopefully Ryder goes on a roll now.

Now get rested and ready for the Marian Gaborikless Minnesota Wild. TRAP,TRAP,TRAP,TRAP!

And congrats are due to Serge Savard for getting his jersey retired. One of the best.

14. Much credit due to Perezoghin. Worked his little socks off tonight, +10 now, great start to the year.

Huet showing why he is number one and Savage showing how much of a gentleman he is. Can’t wait for Dryden night (as i’m gunna be there!)

15. #15 HaBs4EveR says:
    November 18, 2006 at 11:26 pm

Good to see some of you learning french over there ;)

Yeah Huet deserves to be no.1 although aebisher can play good too, but hey, lets keep Cristowall in nets while he plays this good eh?

Glad to see Ryder get that goal. But he did seem to hog the puck afterwards, especially when he was on a 2-on-1 and he shot instead of passing to Koivu…

16. #16 fanatic1 says:
    November 18, 2006 at 11:29 pm

Here are my observations of the game: the habs played well defensively, but the score was closer than it should have been. How many breakaways did we have, and couldn’t score on any of them? That’s why we don’t do well in shootouts.we had so many chances to score in this game, and didn’t. Where was Kovalev? I could swear he was in the pressbox, because he couldn’t be more invisible than he was.As bad as our defence is, most of the time(excluding tonight), I can tell you Atlanta’s defence IS MUCH WORSE!Their defence is simply awful.When was the last time you saw the habs get so many chances to score, and so many breakaways?Atlanta is like the Indianapolis Colts of the NFL.All offence, and no defence.But they are an exciting team.So guys, what are we going to do about our 2nd line? It just doesn’t exist! You know, I don’t like the new NHL because of all the penalties. It’s a JOKE!the things they call are pathetic.I wish we could go back to the way it used to be.There just isn’t any flow to the game because of all those damn penalties.But we won, and that’s what counts. Huet was good; I wish our D could play this well every game. This is the style New Jersey and Calgary plays, and it is successful for them. Because of our lack of talent, I think we are going to have to play this defensive style of play to win.

17. I will NEVER watch the CBC laffs TV I watch RDS …Ordered it so I couldn’t bored and sick of the commentary on CBC LAFFS. I tried tonight to get the English Montreal Radio hockey station …but did not have any luck.Something I am doing wrong? Notice Ryder is playing on the power play and penalty kill.Nice improvement.

18. #18 HaBs4EveR says:
    November 18, 2006 at 11:36 pm

well Fanatic is right when he says we should be more accented on a defense-type play, but please don’t compare it to New Jersey. I watched them play against Ottawa the other day and boy was it BORING… they had a 3-0 lead and so, all of a sudden, they decide to play no offense in the third. As soon as they got the puck, they would go to the center lin and then just chip the puck in and change their lines… and you know what? ottawa made 2 goals and almost tied them when the Devils were playing like that. No wonder nobody wants to go see their games.. they might win but heck its not attractive to watch.

So lets just say that the habs have to get their forwards to help defensively alot. But forchecking is as important.

19. #19 HaBs4EveR says:
    November 18, 2006 at 11:38 pm

Hey phil, how about getting the english commentaries from the radio by the internet and watching the game on RDS on mute? you’d need your computer close to the t.v. though…

20. Stanley Cup here we come!

Well maybe a little bold but we played well tonight. AS for Kovy I think it is imperative we get him back on the wing. HE is not a natural center and the defensive responsibilities takes away from his game. That line needs a natural center and right now it is just three playmakers skating circles around the ice. Kost needs more time in Hamilton. Im sorry but he does.

There seems to be an element missing from this team but every team has weak spots. Even Buffalo as when have all seen recently. GO Habs and hopefully the Wild will not bore the heck out of all of us on Wednesday.

21. GO ALS.

22. Hi HaBs4EveR, I do have the Computer close to the TV.But for some reason I couldn’t connect to the radio station. In the past I find there is a time delay on the radio which sucks.But still the commentary is great even after the fact.Ex explanations and strategies throughout the game and between periods.

23. Phil, I listened to http://www.cjad.com/shows/canadiens with no problem at all! Perhaps you had a connection problem. It was “Serge” night, they interviewed him and then Kicked.
    GO HABS!!!!!!!!!

24. Habs#1, if you know someone who lives in Quebec then you could get something called a SlingBox (well actually the people in Quebec would have to get it.) I have one at home and it lets me watch my cable from home on my laptop anywhere in the world as long as I have internet connection (most importantly when I go away for school). It costs $250 but no monthly fees and worth every cent in my opinion.

25. #25 groundworking says:
    November 19, 2006 at 1:36 pm

From Alberta:

I absolutely cannot stand the CBC’s Hockey coverage. It’s insane. The commentators are old and senile. How many times do you see Harry Neal make an utterly incomprehensible comment on the air: [after another Canadiens' player has been penalized putting them down 5-3, in Toronto, and in a whinny voice]: “Yet another Leaf’s penalty, the crowd is upset, when we come back, a 5-3 for the Leafs…”

Short synopsis of Coach’s Corner nowadays: “DIDN”T I TELL YOU! DIDN’T I TELL YOU! ROLL THE TAPE! SEE I TOLD YOU! I SAID IT! CAN WE HOLD THE TAPE RIGHT THERE?! HOLD THE TAPE RIGHT THERE! DIDN’T I TELL YOU! LOOK AT HIM, LOOK AT HIM! DIDN’T I TELL YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN. WATCH WHAT I SAID. ROLL THE TAPE! SEE, I SAID THIS AND NOBODY LISTENED! EVERYONE SAID I WAS WRONG! DIDN’T I TELL YOU!…….GOD BLESS THE TROOPS, GOD BLESS THEM, FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN, GOD BLESS THEM”.

I’m an anglophone who is about level 2/3 bilingual, but I ordered RDS and I watch the French Station religiously. I love Jacques Demers, and the chemistry between the broadcasters is just excellent. It’s not just because they are Habs fans, but also because they know the game of hockey, they talk about hockey, and they don’t have on-air strokes.

The guys covering the Vancouver games are even worse, save for Kelly Hrudey who I actually think is pretty good. Remember when that knucklehead got going about the one-piece sticks? “USELESS! THESE STICKS ARE USELESS!” Spoken like somebody who has never taken a slap shot in a Men’s league, let alone the NHL.

Over to you guys. Great website. A lot of the fans here are streaky, but so is the team. Don’t blame you.

PS: Look at the CBC Power Rankings and see where Morrison has placed the Habs. Five or so positions below the Leafs at number 14! These guys simply don’t watch Habs games, and that’s why they have no idea what they’re talking about. Remember the comment from TSN’s Dredger that Huet would suck cause everyone knew how to beat him? What an idiot!

26. #26 fanatic1 says:
    November 19, 2006 at 2:43 pm

I too don’t like the commentators for CBC. Not only are they uneducated and on the verge of dementia, but they are so totally biased for Toronto. When the leafs lose, they say it’s because the leafs played badly, not because the other team played well. They will never give their opponent any credit. Also, if you watch TSN(Toronto sports network),they ONLY talk about the leafs, as tho they are the only team in the universe, and the only team in Canada!In their minds, no other city or team exists! When Higgins got hurt, all they talked about the leaf’s Sundin, also hurt, and how damaging that would be to the leaf’s chances. God forbid, a player as important as Higgins,(to his team) would be mentioned. I am so sick of coverage only focused on Toronto sports teams!And Don Cherry makes no bones about the fact, that he only wants Toronto to win. I thought commentators were supposed to be neutral!I only wish habs would demolish leafs in a game. Better still let’s meet them in the playoffs so we can show all Canada and CBC, TSN, which team rules!

27. #27 HabsInBlood says:
    November 19, 2006 at 3:00 pm

That was memorable when Saku and Serge stood arm in arm as his jersey was about to be raised. Definitely a “goose-bump” moment. What’s the deal with the Big Bird. When are they going to retire his #19? I heard there was some friction or discontent on Larry’s part re: his number being retired. Can’t remember the specifics, though.

Last night’s game was very entertaining. The 40 shots for Atlanta do not really reflect how well the Canadiens played defensively, in my opinion. Sure, Carbo has them playing defense first, but they still are exciting to watch. The Bonk line is turning into the biggest surprise this year – and is the greatest threat 5 on 5 – just look at +/-’s for the team – and the gap just keeps widening. As pierogi (his nickname – heard from Bonk in an interview during their last game vs. Ottawa) gets more comfortable at the NHL level, he’ll only make the Habs stronger. Huet is back and his GAA/SavePct stats are again bubbling up to the top of the league. Oh, but apparently Raycroft is on the all-star ballot for goalies, but not Huet – what the F?

After Savard’s ceremony I decided to do some NHL research last night. Since the expansion (in 1967), the Habs have won the cup 10 times to the Leafs 1 (in 1967). The Habs do in fact rule and the Leafs do in fact suck. I’m starting to feel sorry for any Leaf fan under the age of 50 – for they’ve never experienced the taste of victory – well, maybe if they’re 40-50 they were actually alive when the Leafs won, but probably too young at the time to remember.

Question: Do hockey fans across Canada really want to see the Leafs all the time? Or, is it just a bunch of (Ontario/Toronto native) loser execs at CBC with a chip on their shoulder because the Habs rule the Leafs, that they insist on inflicting pain on the entire Canadian population by making us all watch them. As for me, I’m a Montreal native living in Denver, Colorado – so I get all my Habs games on NHL center ice. Last night was great because I actually got the RDS feed.

28. #28 joshtm says:
    November 19, 2006 at 3:29 pm

The Habs though often went back to their old skoot the puck into center ice short of the intended receiver…what gives? Then Carbo is trying to steal a page out of his old Coach’s playbook from his Dallas days, who was that famous Hab who went on to coach the Stars? Jacques something. Anyway that works when you have untalented players. But when Ryder or Kovalev have to shoot the puck away when they are on a roll so Carbo can change a line that takes away from the momementum of the game.

29. In case someone is thinking, ‘What about RDS being bias?’ then I’ll be the first to say that they are indeed very bias. The big difference is that RDS is a Quebec station and therefore it is okay to be more biased towards the Quebec teams. TSN and CBC are suppose to be national networks which should show an unbiased representation of the game; especially when it comes to other Canadian teams.

30. #30 HaBs4EveR says:
    November 19, 2006 at 4:09 pm

Yeah I’m from quebec here. I am pretty much the closest to a perfect bilingual as can be. And the only sport that I find better in french is Hockey. The guys at RDS (Jacques Demers, Yvon, etc..) really know their hockey and although everyone knows they are Habs fans, they don’t talk that way when they are actually commentating. Freakin CBC yesterday showed Ottawa and Toronto games but certainly didn’t show the habs… You would think that since the habs have the biggest fan base in the World (only team that is equal to the Habs might be the Yankees)that they would show more of the games on TSN or CBC. But anyways when they do show the Habs games on those channels, its boring to hear about them.

I’m just glad that RDS is in the base t.v. package in Quebec! Also glad to see West Canada has so many guys that like RDS.

P.S.
    My biggest hopes this year is that we finish either 4-5 and Toronto gets the other one so we can kick them out and show Canada that the Habs are worth talking about!!!

31. #31 HaBs4EveR says:
    November 19, 2006 at 4:19 pm

Fan3: Of course RDS is biased, of course they talk alot about the habs and whats going well or not. But the difference with RDS and say, leafs T.V., is that RDS gives as much credit to other teams as it does to the habs. If the habs lose a game, they won’t say “ah the Canadiens should of worked harder on this and that” they will give credit to the other team, when they deserve it.

They also show games that don’t include the Habs in them. Last week RDS showed SEns vs Devils. You’ll never see that on CBC. The only times they show habs on it is when its playing another Canadian team.

So what if CBC and TSN are national? The other day TSN showed New Jersey vs New York. Haven’t seem them show a Habs game vs a non-canadian team yet. They rather show non-canadian teams play each other than show the habs. Isn’t that just pathetic?!?

On one side of the coin, it revolts me to see how unfair it is for the english-only habs fan that can’t really enjoy a game of habs hockey because either its not aired on CBC, TSN, or that they are stuck watching RDS and not understanding the comments.

On the other side, if I were to choose between CBC or RDS for a habs game, I would take RDS because commenting is SO much better. But again I speak french so I have that chance.

32. What annoys me the most is how people from Quebec would even CONSIDER watching it on CBC or TSN when they have RDS.

Not being Quebecois or even Canadian, i always listen to the game on the French station simply because that is the language it is supposed to be transmitted in. Its the same here – in Scoltand some of the football (oops, soccer) is shown with Gaelic instead of English. I love this as it helps me to become a more rounded individual who at least tries to understand rather than take the easy way!

je vraiment devrais avoir écrit cela en Français!

33. #33 Jack Tornton says:
    November 19, 2006 at 5:34 pm

So….in which jersey did Roy finally retired????

34. #34 HaBs4EveR says:
    November 19, 2006 at 5:39 pm

Wow… I would of never thought RDS played in Scotland… heck, I would of never thought the Habs had fans over there..!

35. We don’t got RDS (sadly) but i listen to the game in French. It always sounds better when there is a goal aswell

‘son et buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut!’

Can’t be beat

36. Ooops – we do occasioanlly get RDS feeds on NASN, a cable only subscription channel.

I wish it were free…

37. #37 HaBs4EveR says:
    November 19, 2006 at 6:39 pm

Oh so you get it in french from like the frog frenchies?? Ah now I guess you might find it better than english, but for a quebecois, most of us just can’t stand their accent hehe… I guess ppl in France are going crazy about Huet then!

38. um…probably

39. HERE HERE BOYS!

Hockey on RDS ROCKS! I’m a pur anglo but I speak french..The chemistry between Pierre and Yvon is awesome not to mention the amazing points of view by Jacques Demers!!! Gotta love’it…Plus that vixen with the nice cans ..Chantale something or other…

Go Habs Go!

40. Jacques Demaires doesn’t say anything new. But, at least it’s better than that military loving cherry-fruit they have on cbc.

41. Hey, one of the only good things Cherry does is support the troops. The canadian military is over there, sacrificing themselves in a war that a lot of people don’t support, but you have to support the men and women in the military doing that.

42. Did anyone else hear that last nights game was broadcasted in France? I thought i heard something about that during the game.

43. I am a anglophone that knows very little french and I still love watching RDS. I’ve been watching for so long I sometimes forget its in french until a commercial comes on. If you have enoufh hockey sense you know what they are saying. I wouldnt have it any other way. Cheers to RDS

P.S If you live outside Quebec like myself then there is a delay on CJAD. About 5-7 seconds.

44. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1064006154676780951&q=Montreal+Canadiens

Just found that classic gem of a video featuring everything good about 1989!

*Patrick Roy
    *Gainey and Carbonneau
    *John Kordic
    *Bad Synth Rock
    *Mats Naslund
    *The Forum

45. #45 HabsInBlood says:
    November 20, 2006 at 11:49 am

As I questioned in my previous post:

Martin Brodeur, New Jersey; Marc-Andre Fleury, Pittsburgh; Olaf Kolzig, Washington; Kari Lehtonen, Atlanta; Henrik Lundqvist, N.Y. Rangers; Ryan Miller, Buffalo; Andrew Raycroft, Toronto; Cam Ward, Carolina.

What the F is Raycroft doing there? Who decided on the ballots, JFJ’s relatives?

46. #46 smiler2729 says:
    November 20, 2006 at 1:59 pm

Did anyone else’s NHL Center Ice coverage of the ATL-MTL in french lose about 10 mins when suddenly Sportsnet poker was on? It was around 9:50 pm with MTL up 1-0 when poker came on in english and the RDS feed came back after 10 pm with MTL now up 2-1! WHAT THE FUCK?

47. #47 HabsInBlood says:
    November 20, 2006 at 5:10 pm

smiler2729 – I got the whole game w/ no interruption – including the 45 minute ceremony at the start on Center Ice (via comcast cable in Denver, CO). Maybe there was problem at your end due to it going longer than normal.

48. #48 Jack Tornton says:
    November 20, 2006 at 6:02 pm

A little bit off topic.

I visited this leafs site( a blog); someone made suggested some changes in the lines and you guys know, some silly and unthinkfull thoughts.

Forwards

Roberts – Nieuwendyk – Sundin
    Tucker – Reichel – Nolan

Penalty Kill
    Nieuwendyk – Sundin
    Fitzgerald – Reichel
    – Nolan

can you guys belive this was in 2003? Domi in 1st line???

Am I the only one thinking leafs did not change a bit for decades.
    A definiton for leafs fans: someone that only knows about the leafs and is isolated from the rest of the leaugue. Thats is why they do not know how mush they suck for deacaes

49. #49 Habs#1 says:
    November 20, 2006 at 6:17 pm

Kotstitsyn has been assigned to Hamilton and apparently Bouillon could be back for wednsday’s game for the Wild. Higgins isn’t close to returning and Perezhogin never clicked with Kovalev and Samsonov. So who’s going to play with them against the Wild. What do you guys think?

Or do you smell a trade(I don’t think Gainey will pull one this early in the season though.

50. Trading Niinimaa soon is imperative, if only due to the salary space he uses. Give him away even. And if possible, get Nedved.