Two Games Remain

• The Habs will finish no worse than 2nd in the Eastern Conference.

How important is it to reach 1st in the Conference?

Do you rest your men, knowing that the real battle begins April 9th?

Or, do you go all out to win the regular season Conference title? Guaranteed home ice being the only real spoils it comes with, other than meaningless bragging rights.

The Sabres will be ready to play, their playoff hopes depending on it. The Habs, coast through or go after the crown?

1. #1 coutNY says:
    April 3, 2008 at 2:30 pm

As of today were going for it stated Carbo… Straight out loss makes the game against the laffs is insubstantial… other than bragging rights, it’s Big only to those playing they’re last game of the season trying to find a roster spot next year… mostly for our opponent and could equal avoidable injuries or an exclaimation point to a brilliant season for the Habs. Take your pick…

2. #3 Ice Man says:
    April 3, 2008 at 3:07 pm
  3. Hey Ice man, the second video is mine. MONTREAL CANADIENS 2007-2008 PREVIEW. I actually thought I did a bad job on the video, but I made someone cry and I made someone get shivers that it was so good.

4. #5 habs4life says:
    April 3, 2008 at 3:35 pm

STUO11, your video is excellent. Since you introduced us in this blog, I watched many times. You chose the magic background music: Fix You !!!

Good job!!!

5. #6 Joseph says:
    April 3, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Laying back with second overall secure seems a logical thing to do with several players being beat up and the playoffs just around the corner. On the other hand…

You don’t want to sit back and lose your focus and/or your motivation with the playoffs just around the corner. After all, no one can predict injuries. They are part of the game, and they could occur in Game 1 of the first round just as easily as they could in games 81 or 82 of the regular season. And wouldn’t it just suck to rest key players now only to come out flat in Round 1 as a result?

So I say go for it. And the Habs appear to agree according to what I’ve been reading.

6. #7 Joseph says:
    April 3, 2008 at 4:28 pm

And I’d add that it doesn’t even matter if they come up short in their effort to catch Pittsburgh for first overall. What matters is the effort, the focus, the motivation, the hunger.

7. #8 hablifer says:
    April 3, 2008 at 4:39 pm

I really liked the video. makes me proud to be a habs fan. It’s been a while since this team was considered as 1 of the elite teams, at the top of the heap. I hope we go beyond the 1st round. just not ready for an early exit. I can wait till June 1st!

8. #9 hablifer says:
    April 3, 2008 at 4:47 pm

If we win tonight, the game on Saturday would be huge, and I read that Raycroft will be in nets on Saturday. Leafs are excited about eliminating sens from the playoffs. I guess they think of it as their stanley cup. what a bunch of losers!

9. They should try and win the conference title to the best of their abilities. The reason is the #1 seed in the east will have home-ice advantage through to the Cup final, granted that they get there. If Montreal wins the conference title, they will have home-ice advantage through to the final. They should try and win it. Go Habs Go!!

Ziman

10. #11 Donnie says:
    April 3, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Well boys here it is………Pit wins their last game the race is over, if they don’t have us with points, they got us with wins.

Pit loses in regulation, 3 points in our last 2 games will give us the conference crown.

Pit loses in OT, we need 2 wins in the last 2.

So it really depends on what Pit does Sun night with Philly, but it would be good to take the 4 points the next 2 games are offering anyways…we lose tonight, the race is also over. GO HABS GO !!!

11. #12 Warren says:
    April 3, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Can`t believe the Sens face elimination!! Wow!!!!
    The Buf/Toronto shootout was cool……Raycroft had an easy time compared to Miller,but still blew it…..
    Leafs will be up for Saturday night….they always play their best against the Habs and the Leaf nation of losers will hit the streets with a pre-cup parade if they win!!!(It is truly a joke to be around Leaf fans)
    Who will the Habs face after this weekend???
    GO HABS GO!!

12. #13 hablifer says:
    April 3, 2008 at 5:54 pm

actually, if the sens lose tonight in regulation, there’s still a chance they could get in, but would need help from other teams. so, for tonight,because I really want to see the sens blow up, go laffs go!

13. #14 Joseph says:
    April 3, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Unlike many Sens fans, I want the Sens in the playoffs. It’s bad for hockey when only one or two of the Canadian franchises actually compete in the playoffs.

I have a feeling that Philly will take Pittsburgh in their final game. It’s just a feeling though.

14. #15 Habman says:
    April 3, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Ice man…don’t scare me like that..i thought it was going to say..HABMAN predicts Stanley cup!…if we stay off the injury board..it will come true!

Not like my pathetic ‘big mouth’ last game calling for an Ottawa win….I need to get it from you guyz for that…Im coasting in from here..lets enjoy this and have fun..we have waited long enough…I have my Hieniken mini keg, yes im drinking it now..and im not gonna get all,
    mushy any more!..lol

15. #16 Habman says:
    April 3, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Oh yes..i hope my Washington prediction come true…PLEASE!

16. #17 Habman says:
    April 3, 2008 at 6:23 pm

ICE MAN..thats one hell of a video you turned me on to there..GOOd..f–ck it “GREAT CALL!!!!!!

17. #18 Habman says:
    April 3, 2008 at 6:36 pm

Thank guyz, for making me watch that video and shed a tear!..yes i did !, don’t even go there with that!…Just one request…PLEASE MR.KOIVU, freeze your foot, and just “sit’ on the bench..we all will “ALL” be there for you…you made the team, you won our hearts..don’t walk away on us now!!!!

Captains sink with the ship!..and we aint sinking anywhere!

18. #19 Habman says:
    April 3, 2008 at 6:39 pm

All my Hab friends, ive met , weather trough animosity or arrogance(like mine..lol) ..bless all and their families, we are in a free country..and we are lucky to be HAB FANS!!!!!

19. #20 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 7:05 pm

Well as much as I hate to see anyone get injuried in the last two games, I think we have to at least try to win the last two games. We have brought up a couple of guys from Hamilton and the injured guys are staying out of the game, so I say lets go for it tonight, if we loose then give a few of the boys a rest on Saturday.

I do think it is important to be playing well going into the playoffs. Losing two in a row is not a good confidence boaster. That’s what I think anyway and does it really matter, they are going to do what they are going to do regardless of what I or anyone else thinks.

20. #21 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 7:08 pm

I still say that I would rather see Ottawa in the playoff than Washington especially if Washington ends up in 7th or 8th place. I am telling you guys theres a team I do not want to play in the first round at least not until we are healthy. Besides as much as I am a habs fan I am also a Canadian and I like to see as many Canadian teams in the playoff as possible. I am tired of seeing the cup go south of the border every year.

21. #22 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 7:37 pm

In the last Blog a lot of you guys were running down sid the kid, well I for one would take him on my team anytime. I guess many of you do not remember Gretzky in his younger days, he wined too and he had someone looking after him whereas Crosby takes a lot of abuse because of his talent and no enforcer to stop the other team from taking runs at him. Malkin is starting to get that same abuse the only difference is he is a little tougher than Crosby. I for one would take Crosby on my team any day. The problem with these yound guys like Crosby is they come into the league on the weakest team and they have no mentors to take them under their wing and say listen if you wine everytime someone touches you the Refs are going to let a lot more go because of the wining. Unfortunately for Crobsy, that has been his problem, and Malkin has had a easy ride coming on the team where all the other teams concentrate on checking Crosby. When Crosby went down to the injury Malkin had to step up and he did but initially the other teams were caught off guard with Malkin. In the last 10 games or so Malkin has had more to deal with. Now he is tougher than Crosby but in the long run I will take Crosby over Malkin to build a team around. One knows what the Cup means and the other still has to learn what it means because he is not Canadian.

22. #23 Dancan81 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 7:42 pm

Stuo11, great job on that video.

23. #24 Habman says:
    April 3, 2008 at 8:12 pm

Im gonna puke watching MSG do a game on Montreal…Harry Neil, who ,in my opinion, hates Mont. and the bias reporting on the two makes me PUKE!!!
    I cant believe that a turn coat like Harry Niel would cheer for Buffalo, not that I don’t like the Sabres, but its a mistake when MONT scores!..f–in JOKE!!!!

24. #25 Habman says:
    April 3, 2008 at 8:21 pm

Sid the who?// and who ran him down??/,,im OVECHKIN

25. #26 Joseph says:
    April 3, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Neale doesn’t have a bias toward Toronto. He has both good and bad things to say about all teams. And to his credit, he said that Montreal is the best hockey city, the best hockey environment in the world.

No, I can think of a lot worse than Harry Neale when it comes to CBC coverage.

On another note, Miller and McGuire were talking about the Leafs-Sens match-up during last night’s Pens-Flyers games, and McGuire said how that game would be Toronto’s ‘Stanley Cup’. To which Miller replied, ‘Well, they’re certainly not going to get the other one.’ They laughed, I laughed, everyone laughed. It was fun.

26. #27 Joseph says:
    April 3, 2008 at 8:36 pm

I respect your analysis of the Crosby situation, Senet 1, but I still can’t stand him. He’s a prima donna, an absolute pussy. Malkin has taken his fair share of abuse as well. Believe me, I’ve watched. The only difference is that Malkin doesn’t cry or scream foul when it happens to him. He gets up, skates it off and plays… like a man.

27. #28 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:11 pm

I am not saying Malkin doesn’t do what he does he is great, and I can respect the fact the you dislike Crobsy because of his temperment but if I am going to pick a player to build a team around it is going to be a Canadian Super star because he understands what the Stanley Cup means, there are very few superstars from Europe who really understand this. Malkin and OVECHKIN are both great players with great skill but I will take the canadian boy every time. If the habs don’t win the conference playoffs and Pittsburgh does my money is on Crosby leading the way.

28. #29 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:16 pm

Sometimes because we overlook ones personallity trates as being prima dona, but you get Crobsy off the ice and it is not I, I, I, it is we we we. He is a team player and he is pastionate about his team and the game. Most superstars take a lot of abuse and Crosby has been taking it every since he was a kid in minor hockey much like Gretzky did. So he may wine a little because he gets roughed up but it does not affect his game that is what makes him great.

29. Crosby’s got the wrong coaches,the Habs would make a true superstar out of him!

30. #31 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Harry Neil has never been a favourite of mine, he does show a lot of bias against Montreal when they are playing Toronto mainly because he coached in Detroit back when Montreal always cleaned their clock. I only agree with about 40% of what he says, however, I will admit once in a while he will say something nice about Montreal in order to appease us habs fans.

31. #32 Joseph says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Riddle me this:

Why does Pittsburgh with Crosby out of the line-up and Malkin leading them?

And why is Pittsburgh’s goals for average 2.58 with Crosby in the line-up and 3.5 with him out of it and Malkin leading the charge?

That being said, I do understant the ‘Canadian Factor’ as it is always required to win a championship.

Anyway, the Sens are destroying Toronto right now, 5-1, but Alfredsson and Fisher have left the game with injuries. I didn’t see the Fisher injury as I was watching the Blue Jays blow another lead when it happened, but the Alfredsson injury was a result of a shoulder to head shot by Bell. A nasty one too.

32. #33 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Xtrahabsfan you are correct there and that was exactly my point, he came into the league without any mentors and the Pittsburgh coaches never took him aside and expressed their disatisfaction with his wining. Had he been in Montreal one of the coaches or the team captain would have tuned him in when he first broke into the league. What did Pittsburgh do they made him their captain too early in his career.

33. #34 Joseph says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:27 pm

The first part of the riddle should have read…

Why does Pittsburgh have a better winning percentage when Crosy is out and Malkin is leading?

34. #35 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:29 pm

Well the goals against average is rather obvious, then crosby was in the lineup the team did not have to play as defensive.

35. #36 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:32 pm

I don’t think it had anything to do with Malkin leading the coaching staff forced them to play a better defensive game, this was something that had to do and mose team always start to playing a more defensive game in the second half than the do in the first. The successful ones usually improve in the standings and start winning more games. I think you are attempting to analyze something that has nothing to do with either Crobsy or Malkin leading the team.

36. #37 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:35 pm

You have to remember one other thing, one player does not a team make, and it does not matter whether it is Crobsy or Malkin. Pittsburgh would have had to tighten up their defensive play eventually anyway.

37. #38 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Our habs are a prime example, when we started playing a better defensive game we started winning more consistently. Our goals against average has improved, our penalty killing has improved and our team has improved.

38. #39 Joseph says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:48 pm

Goals for average, Senet 1.

8-2, Ottawa.

39. #40 Joseph says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Meaning that they’ve been a better offensive team, by nearly a goal per game, with Malkin leading and Crosby out altogether.

40. #41 Joseph says:
    April 3, 2008 at 9:52 pm

Speaking of our Habs, Wooooooooooooooo-hoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Buh-bye, Buffalo.

41. WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

42. #43 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 10:05 pm

Well look at Montreal since we tighten our defense we have actually improved our offense and lead the league in goals for, one last comment, Malkin was raised in Russia where it is not exactly the place where you express your opinion. I don’t think you are going to convince anyone the Pittsburgh is a better offensive team without Crobsy. Lets just face it you do not like him, but you can put him on my team anytime. Good topic though while we were wait for our habs to finish off the sabres.

43. #44 Senet 1 says:
    April 3, 2008 at 10:09 pm

Well it looks like we will have to try and beat the leafs on sat. I thought the sabres played a pretty chippy game tonight. Poor Hamrlik was getting cross checking in the back all night. And was that our friend brisecrap that took the penalty that put us down 5-3 on the sabre power play and cost Price his shutout.

44. #45 Joseph says:
    April 3, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Just know that this is all meant as healthy discussion, Senet 1.

Havind said that, just about everyone I talk to in Pittsburgh feels that Malkin has made them a better offensive club thsi season. And the numbers I posted don’t lie. In fact, they voted Malkin team MVP before their last game.

As to THIS Habs team, I think that Malkin would be a better fit than Crosby. And it’s somehting that might–I emphasize ‘might’–actually be possible, whereas the Penguins have locked up Crosby, likely for his career. Ask Lemieux. So it’s best to concentrate on the maybes rather than the nevergoingtohappens.

Wanna hear something hilarious? Now, the talk in Toronto is that the Leafs are playing to lose for draft positioning. What a mind-boggling train wreck that organization is.

45. #46 Joseph says:
    April 3, 2008 at 10:37 pm

The Habs have either lead the league in goals for or have been right up there for most of the season. Even before they tightened up defensively.

46. #47 hablifer says:
    April 3, 2008 at 11:35 pm

Ottawa’s win was costly. Alfreddson injured, out at least 1 week or more, and Fisher also injured. life is good!

April 3, 2008 at 11:57 pm

Bad Karma …

48. ..great video

49. yea guys that MONTREAL CANADIENS 2007-2008 PREVIEW is my video lol.(STUO11)