Two Games Remain

• The Habs will finish no worse than 2nd in the Eastern Conference.

How important is it to reach 1st in the Conference?

Do you rest your men, knowing that the real battle begins April 9th?

Or, do you go all out to win the regular season Conference title? Guaranteed home ice being the only real spoils it comes with, other than meaningless bragging rights.

The Sabres will be ready to play, their playoff hopes depending on it. The Habs, coast through or go after the crown?

1. #1 Ice Man says:
    April 4, 2008 at 8:42 am

2. #2 habby says:
    April 4, 2008 at 11:38 am

awesome video STUO11!!

3. Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

4. #4 Christopher says:
    April 4, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Is anyone else a little worried now that the Capitals have a playoff spot?

Not sure if as many of you recall as i do how Ovechkin single handedly embarrased us is a four goal affair?

Or that Cristobal Huet would love nothing more than to steal a series from us?

It will be interesting to see who will grab that last seed in the East, I have a feeling that Washington will actually finsih with the third seed beating out the Canes for the win of their division, which would drop Carolina to eighth place and possibly missing the playoffs all together.

Obviously the best case scenario is to face Boston in the first round as we are undefeated against the Bruins all year long. However facing Carolina would be a well deserved pay back to them for stealing the series against us two years ago with their rookie phenom goalie Cam Ward. This time around we have our own young phenom goalie in Carey Price, whom looks like every much of a long term winner to me.

Alfredson is now done with the Sens which just cements their odds of either missing the playoffs or bowing out very early. Look for the Penguins and Devils (if Brodeur plays his best) to be other contenders in the East.

The unfortunate part of Montreal’s wonderful season is that even if they get all the way to the Stanley Cup Final (which in itself would be an amazing feat) it is going to be extremely difficult to be the West to win the cup. With teams like Detroit, San Jose, Minnesota, Anaheim, Dallas, Colorado and even Calgary…it goes to show how much stronger the West is than the East….and really the Eastern Conference is wide open…any team could reach the final, which makes Montreal’s odds that much better to be the fourth Canadian team in as many years to reach the Stanley Cup Final

5. #5 Ice Man says:
    April 4, 2008 at 1:21 pm

This song will be played in Montreal in June 2008.

6. I’m not really worried that the Caps are in. If we’d play them then the habs would win in 6 games, I t would just be a longer first round that’s all. Their best player is a rookie, yes he’s the man, but If montreal’s D plays really good on Ovechkin, the capitals won’t even end up scoring more than 1 goal a game.

7. #7 Joseph says:
    April 4, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Washington, Washington, Washington…

You cannot leave your fate in the hands of others. When Ottawa handles Boston, Carolina the Panthers, and Philadelphia the Devils and Penguins, you are going to be kicking yourselves for not playing better earlier on.

As to regular season series, I wouldn’t put all that much stock in them as history has shown that they are often meaningless in the playoffs. As I stated before, Ottawa owned the Leafs throughout the regular season for several years, only to lose miserably to them in the playoffs each of those years. On that note, I wouldn’t be begging for a first round match-up against Boston, based on the assumption that the Habs will just roll over them. Don’t get me wrong, the Habs might end up rolling over them, but nothing is guaranteed. After all, there is a lot of history there.

Anyway, they’ll play who they’ll play, and I, for one, will watch and enjoy! It’s been a great season!

8. #8 habsalltheway says:
    April 4, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Just looking at the standings and if OTT. lose tonight and WASH. wins then WASH will get a playoff spot over OTT because of the wins WASH has over OTT.
    (4-0 against OTT this year)And that will leave PHILY. to only need one win in there last two games and OTT is out of the playoffs…. :) A lot of ifs but the way the teams are playing that are involved it can very well happen….
    GO HABS GO :)

9. Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo…..Woooooooooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

10. #10 Joseph says:
    April 4, 2008 at 10:07 pm

So much for predictions, hey?

11. #11 hablifer says:
    April 4, 2008 at 10:07 pm

Ottawa is in the playoffs. They backed in, because they lost, and Florida beat Carolina. Looks like we’re playing the Sens. If Boston wins tomorrow at home vs the sabres, (and they will) at we win, it’s the sens. we can beat them, no problem. Without Alfreddson and Fisher they’re not the same, and they lost at home to the bruins. What does that tell you? I think Pitt plays Philly. that will be a blood bath. good! they’ll beat each other up for us.

12. #12 Senet 1 says:
    April 4, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Hey Joseph, I never said that Malkin didn’t make Pittsburgh a better offensive team who wouldn;t like to have either of them ontheir team. Their both great players and that is a fact. I also never said I wouldn’t like Malkin on my team what I said was I would take the Canadian over the European. As for either of them ending up in Washington, you are right Crobsy will never be any place else but Pittsburgh and if we had a chance at Malkin I would certainly take it. One thing you have to understand, I would never run down Malkin but then again it is not in my nature to run down any great player. YOu are right about one other thing this has been a good friendly discussion and I think we should have more of them where two guys can disagree without using deflamatory comments to ridicule the other person. Lets face it we disagree but that is what makes us both great hockey fans.
    Thanks for the discussion, sorry I could not get on the blog earlier.

13. #13 Senet 1 says:
    April 4, 2008 at 10:47 pm

correction I had Washington on the brain I met Montreal.

14. #14 Senet 1 says:
    April 4, 2008 at 11:07 pm

If I understand the tie breaker the team with the most wins is the first fie breaker.Lets assume that Boston, Ottawa and Philly end up tied.Ottawa would be the 6th place then Boston and Philly? If Philly beats Pitts then they would move to 6th if Boston also wins then Ottaw is eigth.

It looks like Carolina is out unless Washington cannot beat or tie/SO/OT Florida.

This means we would play any of the three teams Bos, Ott or Philly. If we beat the leafs, and Philly beats Pitts then we are # 1 which changes the mix again. So I guess we are not going to know until Sunday night regardless of who wins on Saturday.

April 4, 2008 at 11:07 pm

(4-0 against OTT this year)And that will leave PHILY. to only need one win in there last two games and OTT is out of the playoffs…. A lot of ifs but the way the teams are playing that are involved it can very well happen….
    GO HABS GO

Dude your way off here … Ott is in Canes are out …

16. #16 Senet 1 says:
    April 4, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Ottawa is already in by virtue of Carolina’s loss tonight

17. #17 Senet 1 says:
    April 4, 2008 at 11:14 pm

I was trying to understand the tie breaker. It looks like Carolina is out unless washington looses tomorrow night. If Washington looses then they are out.

18. #18 Senet 1 says:
    April 4, 2008 at 11:16 pm

I think the only way the Philly gets out of eigth is if they beat Pitts on Sunday.

19. #19 Senet 1 says:
    April 4, 2008 at 11:19 pm

If Boston loses the then they are 7th unless Philly loses. Bottom line is Ottawa has more wins and Boston and Philly cannot catch them in wins so they have to beat them in points.

20. #20 patrick says:
    April 5, 2008 at 1:04 am

the only way we don’t play ottawa is if philly beats pittsburgh, and then we lose to the leafs

21. who would you guys rather play against? The Sens,Flyers or Bruins? Just wondering.

22. #22 habs4life says:
    April 5, 2008 at 10:06 am

If D Alfredsson and M Fisher out for “Weeks” was true, Habs would have visible advantage against Ottawa. Without DA and MF, Ottawa just makes no Sense.

Anyway, whoever to meet, Go Habs Go!!!

23. First let’s finnaly blow out the Leaf’s and end the regular season on a perfact note”blow them the f@ck up,lol” and then a new season commeth”playoffs!”.The east has got to face our beast…GO HABS GO !!!!!!

April 5, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Agreed XTRA, time to put that joke of an organization behind us for good.

25. #25 Joseph says:
    April 5, 2008 at 1:11 pm

No problem, Senet 1. I realize that there’s life outside of the internet.

As to our discussions, they’ll always be healthy, just as long as we respect one another’s opinions. And I re-iterate that these are opinions because I certainly don’t know everything about hockey. (I could easily prove to be wrong about most of what I think I know.)

Random thoughts…

All of this talk of match-ups is making my head hurt. Is it any wonder that civilized human beings are by far the most stressed animals on the planet? Analyze this, analyze that. Understand this, understand that. Relax and enjoy! :-)

The word in Leafsland is that the Leafs are now losing intentionally to impove their draft positioning. If this is the case (unlikely), then perhaps we should thank them in advance for tonight’s victory?

26. #26 Joseph says:
    April 5, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Ya, evidently Ottawa didn’t beat them 8-2 two nights ago but rather the Leafs allowed Ottawa to beat them 8-2 two nights ago… for the sake of the draft all of a sudden.

27. #27 Joseph says:
    April 5, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Something’s rotten in Toronto (and I think it’s the Leafs):

28. #28 Senet 1 says:
    April 5, 2008 at 5:52 pm

Joseph I enjoyed out discussion and you are right about these match ups. It sort of looks like we play Ottawa because if Philly wins that puts us in 1st and Ottawa in 8th. If Philly loses that leaves them in 8th and Ottawa in 7th. This is all assuming that Boston beats Buffalo. If Boston looses i think that pust Boston in 7th and Ottawa in 6th unless of course Philly loses???? Wow!!!