Who cares about Mats Sundin?

• I don’t.

With a little over one month until the Canadiens 100th season begins, it’s time to forget about the indecisive Swede and focus on the team and the season ahead.

Over two months since the Free Agent signing period began and Sundin is not any closer now to making a decision then he was then. Is Sundin THAT big of an addition to carry on this ridiculous
    pursuit?

Who cares?

Are the Canadiens not ready to compete with the current roster?

1. I saw an article today that quoted Bob Gainey saying that the team could add “another player” but that he considered the team to be “99.9%” ready.

He also said that he doubted a rookie would make the team this year, unless that rookie put in a Sergei Kostitsyn-like performance.

September 3, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Well it looks like he will not be a hab so lets move on.

3. A few years back, Sundin would have been a great addition to the team. Sundin, though very talented, is an injury risk and not worth the kind of cash his name used to be worth.

4. #4 habsfreak says:
    September 3, 2008 at 10:13 pm

injury risk?

5. #5 hab faithful says:
    September 3, 2008 at 11:24 pm

it’s easy to say he’s an injury risk when you know you’re not getting him.
    he’s no more an injury risk than any other player in the NHL. In fact, he’s much more durable than most NHL players! check how many games he’s missed the last few years-VERY FEW!

6. I would love to see Sundin in the Canadiens jersey, but I don’t think we need him. I think Gainey made two very nice acquisitions in Tanguay and Laraque.

7. #7 jack hab says:
    September 4, 2008 at 8:01 am

His heart just isn’t in it right now, and that’s fine. He’s unrestricted and is calling his own
    shots. I’d rather move on, than have a high priced passenger on the team.

I hope his career as a PokerStars ambassador works out for him. If not, he can take his
    out of shape body and drain the ‘nucks for 20 large. lol

September 4, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Wow great job HABSBLOG the new site look great.

9. looks sick I’d like to see on of my vids on the main page.type up Stuo11 n youtube. And yeh, just give up on fucking Sundin.

10. #11 superfan says:
    September 4, 2008 at 9:54 pm

one large sweed to the habs = coupe stanley
    i care

11. wow thanks, and ummm… yeh I really hope montreal has the outdoor game, we deserve soo much more than Detroit and Chicago!!!!

12. #13 jack hab says:
    September 5, 2008 at 10:26 am

Lovin’ the new look of this site.

13. Like the new site!
    Mats is not what we need he should just stay w/ Toronto

14. Mats is what we need for sure! But he’s likely not going to sign here. In Mats perspective of Montreal: Outdoor game,All-Star Game, part of the greatest franchise of hckey! I would choose it easily!

15. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=248521&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

“Sources say Sundin is also expected to meet, or speak with the Montreal Canadiens before returning to Europe on Monday.”

16. It’s a rumor. Sundin will be a Hab. According to a Swedish source who is close to Sundin, his mind is set on the Canadiens.

17. #18 Radical says:
    September 5, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Who is behind “HabsBlog?? There should be an “About Me” or a “FAQ” section somewhere so we know who is in charge, and what your policies/procedures are for this web site. Please identify yourself.

18. I am.

I dont have any “policies/procedures.”

Just discuss the Habs…..

19. #20 Radical says:
    September 5, 2008 at 4:55 pm

So who are you??

20. #21 hab faithful says:
    September 5, 2008 at 8:19 pm

where did you get this rumour from? sorry, but I disagree with you. After all if Sundin doesn’r even know what he wants to do, how could someone else?

September 5, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Does it really matter who HB is? I heard she was a one armed prostitute from alabama that could do things to you with her one good arm that would make you forget about that thing on her neck lol ……just kiddin HB YOU ROCK

22. #23 Radical says:
    September 5, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Well, since the one armed prostitute has editorial authority over what is published on this site, she should identify herself. It’s standard procedure on most blogs and websites that the webmaster does this. I don’t want some nameless, unidentified person dictating what can or can’t be said. I have written some posts that were deleted here because Mr/Mrs “Moderator” decided they were of no value.

September 5, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Just relax and enjoy the blog. There are bigger issues in the world then trying to figure out who runs the Habs Blog . He does a great job and gives us a place to talk about the habs and thats all that really matters. We have all had a post or two deleted at some point i am sure. No big deal, relax and have fun .

24. Stanley – unless you’re going to provide a link to a reputable publication with stories like that don’t post them….and if you do post speculation don’t use words like “Sundin will be a Hab”

Here’s a rumour for ya….my brother’s best friends dad’s uncle knows a guy in Botswana whose Japanese friend has ties with the drug cartel in Russia. They sell to some Swedish dude who claims to be Sundin’s gay lover. When he was high as a kite he said that he and Sundin went 5 pin bowling and Sundin confided that he had already signed with Montreal for $78 million per game.

Both stories are just as credible.

September 5, 2008 at 11:51 pm

Oh and if your still not happy just go post on another site,its just as easy as that. Cheers

26. #27 habs4life says:
    September 6, 2008 at 7:37 am

Nice, well done, Habsblog!

Well, Sundin, again. Sundin and his agent J.P. Barry will be meeting with Leafs management team; then Habs team before he head home.

27. “some posts that were deleted here because Mr/Mrs “Moderator” decided they were of no value”

Never…posts get caught in spam filter if they contain excessive links, come from a first timeo or phony address or in your case probably full of profanity..:)

and my true identity is revealed….I am none other than habs legend Craig Ludwig

28. #29 alex marks says:
    September 6, 2008 at 1:04 pm

site looks great!!!!!
    lookinf forward to the new hockey season ,
    habs rule

29. My latest video CANADIENS 100 YRS IS NOW UP ON YOUTUBE!

30. btw, create an avatar at gravatar.com if you want it to show up in the comments.

31. #32 Dancan81 says:
    September 6, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Sites looks awesome HB, been awhile since I’ve been back.

PS. Craig, love the shin pads.

32. #33 habknot says:
    September 7, 2008 at 9:11 am

Great site, Craig. Maybe not surprisingly, you’re out of the mold that BG is using for his defense. Physical at your end, but quick with the first breakout pass, then able to get into the play at the other end. I can’t wait for the Gazette to run one of those ‘where are they now’ series ….. “currently residing in cyberspace with some of the craziest habs’ fans ….” ;-)

I still care about MS, he makes us even bigger and better. Laraque and Tanguay are great additions. We can compete [and win] without Mats, and no one player guarantees a Cup, but he makes the coaches job much simpler in so many situations, and would give us the best second line center in the league [actually better than our first line center].

Late in ‘FreeAgentFrenzy’, I mentioned the ‘Selanne, Niedemeyer move’ and Mats may feel better about a long cup run if he misses 20-40 games of regular season action [even though it goes against what he said at last trade deadline]. We could match Van’s 10M/yr for 1/2 year.

Chemistry concerns would be a challenge, but Carbo seems to be doing a good job of keeping everyone performing no matter what role they are given. So, I’m holding out hope. Either way MS goes, we have cap space for a major move this year. Next year its about locking up Komisarek.

33. If Sundin waitsd to see the standings and see the best team he’s obiously going to Montreal lol

34. #35 groundworking says:
    September 10, 2008 at 8:34 am

The Fourth Period is reporting that Gaigney may well have caught Sundin–Sundin’s agent is quoted as indicating that Gaigney laid out in detail an “excellent case” for coming to Montreal. Sundin is said to have been asked to make his decision soon, as Gaigney has other “plans in the works”.

Beautiful site! Nice work. The redesign of your weblog is a fitting tribute to the Canadiens 25th Stanley Cup Season.

35. I wonder what Gainey’s back-up plans are. I doubt he goes after any available FA’s as he has mentioned multiple times he would look to “help” a team that is over the cap. That would include Anaheim $1.3mil(Schneider), Washinton $2.25mil(Nylander), Philly $4.5mil (Carter), San Jose $.2mil(Marleau) Chicago 2.5 mil, Calgary 1.5mil, & Detroit.7mil. I could see those first 3 happening, especially Philly since they are over the cap by the most.

36. ooooh! maybe briere changed his mind about montreal….not sure the reception he would get after the big snub last year

37. Firstly, I like the new site though at first it took time to find everything. I will be disappointed in MS does not come to Montreal after all this waiting, especially if he goes elsewhere. I agree we can still win with the team we have but my main concern has always been our defense. I would still like to see another good defensive defenceman. To me we can live wihout it during the regular season but come playoff time we need that steadying force behind the blueline when the pressure is on.

38. I think Montreal would love having Mats holding the cup above his head in 2009, just like mats would love the city himself and to celebrate in Montreal would be a great ending to his fantastic career. good luck habs

39. please so NO to briere his heart doen’t seem to always be in the game

40. why not ?

41. #42 habsfanforlife says:
    September 12, 2008 at 12:21 pm

because he sucks!!!

42. Rumour: Lang to Montreal

haven’t found an english article yet….will post once I do. rumour is a couple of prospects going the other way

43. lang for a 2nd round pick in 2010….is 4 mil too much for lang who will play 3rd, MAYBE 2nd line center?

44. actually lang could play line 1 since he had such great chemistry with AK27 in Pittsburgh….Pleks could see a demotion here

45. #47 habsfanforlife says:
    September 13, 2008 at 8:42 am

Plecks will not see a demotion. In my opinion, if he was demoted it would hurt his development.

46. i wouldnt call it a demotion. those top 3 lines can be roled out against any opposing line. think of it as lines 1a, 1b, 1c as opposed to lines 1, 2, 3. Other than PP time, they should all see equal ice time.

47. I agree, obviously the line that shows the best chemistry will get he most ice time as the season progresses but going in I have to like Tanguay, Lang and Kovalev as my #1 line.
    I think Koivu is showing that he still belongs but not as a top scorer. In fact he has never been a top scorer. Seldom has he scored more than 20 goals a season. He is still a good playmaker though and his hustle is still there. I think he makes a good third line centre as well as a good point man for the power play.

48. Plekanec to me is still our #2 centreman, he is good but it is doubtful if he will ever be a #1 centremen due to his size like Koivu he may be put in that position but I think we have all agreed that Koivu never was a #1 centreman we just never had anyone else better.

To me a number one centre consistently has 80+ points and 35+ goals per season. I am not sure if Plekanec will ever reach those kind of stats, but here is hoping.