Free Agent Frenzy?

1. #1 Senet 1 says:
    July 17, 2008 at 9:28 pm

The point really had nothing to do with Esposito the point is that garbage goals are a fact of life in hockey and we needed to score a few more last year. Lats got his share maybe a few other players should have contributed a few more as well.

July 17, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Time will tell.

3. #3 Senet 1 says:
    July 17, 2008 at 9:43 pm

Yes you are right and I think we have no choice but to give him that time. He has improved over his first year so lets see if he continues to improve. I still would like to see him down in Hamilton to start the season it would provide him with a wake up call that maybe he needs to take his game to the next level.

July 17, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Agreed. Hell i will even buy him the greyhound ticket to hamilton. lol

5. #5 Senet 1 says:
    July 17, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Guillaume Latendresse signed an entry-level contract in 2006 at age 19. He would have been exempt from waivers for 4 years; however, he played in 80 NHL games in 2006-07, meaning the exemption was shortened to 3 years. He is now exempt until either the end of the 2008-09 season or he plays in a total of 160 NHL games [whichever comes first].

Since he has played in 153 games we can still send him down to the minors this fall as long as he does not play 7 more games in the NHL before he is sent. Based on my understanding playoff games do not count.

6. #6 naslund19 says:
    July 17, 2008 at 10:49 pm

# 473 STUO11
    Posted on July 17th, 2008 at 12:10 pm. About ‘Free Agent Frenzy?’.

O’Byrne’s contract was like 2.875 Mill. so we have around 5.8 aMill or what ever! wtf is Gainey going to do now!?I think we could have gotten O’Byrne for much cheeper. he would have accepted 1.5 Mill, though I guess he deserves it though.

calm down it’s 2.825 over three years lol 700k the first, 725k the second and 1.4 mil the third.

this gives the habs just over 6.5 million left so if we want to sign sundin someone has to go and it will probably be dandenault since he’s in carbo’s dog house and is overpayed. I think either belle or valentenko will get the #7 D position.

7. I’m not worried, I messed up. I thought it was 2.875 Mill per year lol.

8. #8 habknot says:
    July 17, 2008 at 11:23 pm

Good work, Senet! That’s good news. We pretty much all seem to agree that Lat could use some seasoning, and it is easier to learn in Hamilton, because there’s less pressure. It seemed to do Lapierre a world of good last year, and GL could take that example to heart. That could mean he is fighting for an NHL job in training camp [just remember, it was his fantastic training camp(s) that kept him on the big team in the first place. Laraque [and Sundin] will make it easier to send him down as well, we’ll already be bigger.

Either way, all you ‘dump Lats’ guys, I remember Guy Lafleur took a few years to find his stride. The year he turned 23, he became the most exciting player in hockey. Now, I’m not saying Gui is another Guy [even Carbo], but Gainey sees something he likes, and I’ve said before, he kind of looks like he’s adding things to his game and hopefully it will all come together wearing a Habs jersey.

9. #9 KB 27 says:
    July 18, 2008 at 7:26 am

everybody who is cutting strips of Latendresse stop it the guy is 22 he’ll get better he,plekanec,the kostitsyns and komisarek are the future of the habs!

10. We’ll have approximetely 32 Mill after this season + the raise so around 35 Mill to lock up Alex Tanguay,Alex Kovalev,Saku Koivu, Mike Komisarek, Tom Kostopoulos, Francis Boullion, Mathieu Dandenault, Chris Higgins, Matt D’Agonstini, Greg Stewart, Kyle Chipchura and TOMAS PLEKANEC!!!! With my predictions, I actually tink the habs will do fine.Tanguay,Koivu and Kovalev all take 5 Mill for 2 years. Tanguay for 4 years. 15 Mill, Komisarek and Higgy 4 Mill each,Kostopoulos .900 Mill for 2 years, chipchura,D’Agostini, and Stewart for .700 M and then 4 Mill for Plekanec. though Komi and Plexs could want more, and then we could be in trouble.

11. #11 RadicalDude says:
    July 18, 2008 at 8:47 am

Latendresse is 6’2″, 222 lbs, and just turned 21 in May. He already has 2 years of NHL experience. Those of you cutting him to shreds must think you know more than Bob Gainey, Guy Carbonneau, and the entire Player Development team of the Montreal Canadiens. Nice try. You never, EVER, give up on a player that young with that kind of size and potential.

12. #12 RadicalDude says:
    July 18, 2008 at 8:54 am

If Carbo were to give him some PP time, maybe put him in front of the net on the 2nd unit, we would have the power forward all you girls have been clamoring for, to do some of the dirty work screening the goalie, getting some goals on rebounds and deflections. As I said, he could get 30 goals.

13. #13 RadicalDude says:
    July 18, 2008 at 12:24 pm

More on Pacioretty…Pat Hickey’s piece in the Montreal Gazette today:

14. #14 hab faithful says:
    July 18, 2008 at 12:24 pm

they tried putting Lats on the PP, dsxidn’t work. They tried him on the 1st line, didn’t work. They tried him on the 3rd line, dsidn’t work. tried on the 2nd line, didn’t work. Get the message? HE CAN’T SKATE, AND SLOWER THAN MOLASSES. He doesn’t hit, and unwilling to stand in front of the net.
    It’s no longer about age, or development. It’s about ATTITUDE!
    If a player is not motivated to do the things necessary to keep him in the NHL, then he doesn’t belong. On several times, he was either scratched or benched, because of his unwillingness to do what Carbo asked.
    He is a lazy,ignorant, overrated player who will never turn into an NHL player!
    And BTW, last year he didn’t improve. His playing actually declined. This kid seemed to think, now that he’s in the NHL, he can relax. Won’t work. Pacioretty will displace him, and send him to Hamilton where he belongs. I see Lats as a perennial AHL player.

15. #15 RadicalDude says:
    July 18, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Then you must be smarter than Gainey, Carbonneau, Timmins, Muller, all of them put together. By the way, how good are YOU on the ice? You sure have a big mouth. I’d say you better check your own attitude at the door before you go mouthing off about others.

16. #16 RadicalDude says:
    July 18, 2008 at 1:32 pm

You’re nothing but a big complainer on here. I haven’t seen one positive post from you all the time you’ve been here.

July 18, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Does anyone one here even watch any of the habs games? So let me get this straight RADICAL DUDE, Gainey,Carbo,Timmins,Muller never make mistakes? Can you say Samsonov? Even a blind man can see Lats does not fit the style of play of the habs. This team is built on speed which Lats has none of. I am not saying i know more about hockey then everyone else but its a no brainer that he belongs in hamilton. Just wait and see this comming season how brutal Lats really is, but i am sure the same people will be here next year saying to give him another chance. He is a waste of a roster spot if you ask me but thats just my opinion.

18. #18 hab faithful says:
    July 18, 2008 at 3:43 pm

RadicalDude
    Posted on July 18th, 2008 at 1:30 pm. About ‘Free Agent Frenzy?’.

518 RadicalDude
    Posted on July 18th, 2008 at 1:32 pm. About ‘Free Agent Frenzy?’.

YOU’RE ONLY GOOD AT INSULTING OTHERS!
    The fact that you don’t agree with me, does not give you the right to insult me or thers.
    Are you GOD????
    You sure act like it, M O R O N!

19. #19 hab faithful says:
    July 18, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Gee, I thought this was a website for free expression.
    tell thast to radical dude, or is his name redneck, or is it DUD?
    They allfit him and his CRASS ATTITUDE!
    And all because I don’t think Latalentless is an NHL player. Can you imagine what would happen if I called his mother a slut?

20. #20 hab faithful says:
    July 18, 2008 at 3:48 pm

OMG, RADICAL DUDE is such an Ahole! Please send him to the trash bin!

21. #21 hab faithful says:
    July 18, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Radical dude is in love with Latalentless. I think he’s gay!

22. #22 hab faithful says:
    July 18, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Anyone who dishes out insults, should be prepared to take them too!
    bring it on!

23. #23 RadicalDude says:
    July 18, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Pactum, at least you have the decency to say your opinion of latendresse is only an opinion.

24. I don’t think he’s that bad, I’m a little frustrated because he’s afraid to get into the dangerous place, but I wouldn’t worry too much about him struggling because he’s not supposed to make that much of a difference anyway. but I’m worried if Kovalev has a bad season because he’s very inconsistent.

25. #25 Pricey says:
    July 18, 2008 at 6:19 pm

Bwaaahhaaaaaa ! You guys are hillarious ! This blog is dark and chippy eh ? – The slutty mom comment takes the cake !

26. #26 RadicalDude says:
    July 18, 2008 at 6:58 pm

That’s kid stuff. Not even worth responding to.

27. #27 hab faithful says:
    July 18, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Radical dude you are too funny.

28. #28 RadicalDude says:
    July 18, 2008 at 7:05 pm

# 518 PACTUM SERVA
    Posted on July 18th, 2008 at 3:34 pm. About ‘Free Agent Frenzy?’.

–Pactum, not everyone can be the fastest and greatest skater. You’ve got the skaters and you need players with size. Isn’t that what everyone in here was complaining about earlier, that we had no-one to screen the goalie and we got pushed around? Obviously, Latendresse is not a policeman like Laraque, but he has the size. He hasn’t put it all together yet, but I think he can. Oh, and yes, I could be wrong LOL. If he doesn’t perform, we get rid of him, pretty simple if you ask me. There are a lot of young wingers in the organization coming up, Stewart, Wyman, Pac, maybe even Conboy. But it’s too early to dump Latendresse just yet in my opinion. He just turned 21. Patience, boys.

29. #29 RadicalDude says:
    July 18, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Yeah. I’m just a barrel of laughs.

30. I may be Johnny-come-lately to this discussion but the first comment caught my eye: Kolzig to TB moving them up to third? If that’s true it’s only because Florida and Atlanta are two of the worst managed franchises in all of professional sports, let alone the NHL. Kolzig was something like 42 of 45 goaltenders last year in save percentage…and Washington is a much better team, with a better defense than Tampa.

31. with all the guys they have now, Tampa will come 3rd. u can’t expect ovechkin to get 65 goals again

32. #32 naslund19 says:
    July 20, 2008 at 9:27 pm

why not? Ovechkin is a machine lol best player in the nhl hands down

You can’t expect tampa to do good without any defense. Unless of course they score 6 goals a game cuz that’s what they’ll need to win.

33. #33 BarrieHabFan says:
    July 20, 2008 at 10:37 pm

Just my two cents:

Lats deserves one, maybe two more years to see if he develops into his potential.
    Why the hell does everyone think Tampa is so improved?
    Ovechkin could easily get 65 goals again. Best player in the league by far.

34. #34 hab faithful says:
    July 21, 2008 at 9:14 am

Sundin isn’t coming here! Again we’re rebuffed by another top notch player.
    when a player decides to go to a bad team like Vancouver, what is that saying about the city of Montreal?
    Face it: NOBODY WANTS TO COME HERE, EVEN WHEN WE HAVE A GOOD TEAM!
    Sad, sad, very sad situation. What has happened to this city to provide so much negativity amongst NHL players?
    Well, back to the drawing board, or should I say drafting board.
    I will never ever again get excited when Gainey makes promises, because HE NEVER DELIVERS

35. Kolzig might not be the greatest, but He’s better than Marc Denis and Holmvist by a long shot. goaltending is the most important thing and Ovechkin was the only reason why they made, and also the fact that their division sucks ass. and either than Green who is pretty much a forward, who does Washington have on Defence? Tampa actually has alot of guys Carle gets arounjd 40 pts as an offensive defencemen which aint that bad and about 4 other guys. honestly I want to end this because I hate Tampa because of Malone, I like the caps but I just don’t see them winning their division. maybe 7th or 8th place though. Ovechkin was amazing last year and I have a feeling he’ll have like a 52 goals season and maybe like 102 pts. 65 is too much for the league now, It’s way too competative.

36. and no one wants to come to montreal because when ever he goes after players like Malone and Hossa he doesn’t feel MALONE IS WORTH 8 Mill lol. and Hossa doesn’t fit our needs at all. Sundin is like the biggest hab hater. and players like Rolston, I heard Bob didn’t even think about him, like wtf?! I like what bob is doing because he could have game Hossa like 8 Mill and there’s no chance he would turn that down, but then the habs would go downhill.

37. #37 hab faithful says:
    July 21, 2008 at 12:12 pm

what doen’t it bother hab fans to know Sundin would rather play for the lowly Canucks, than play for a good team in Montreal? It makes my stomach turn. Such a bitter pill to swallow. just so frustrated! not being able to attract a big name here.

38. #38 jack hab says:
    July 21, 2008 at 12:33 pm

As much as I love hockey, and namely The Habs – I’m done going nuts over every damn
    thing. It’s obvious as far as opportunity is concerned that those other two scrap teams
    can’t match what this team offers (if a cup is what he really is after).
    I see his decision like this. The Habs = Journey to Stanley, and ultimate glory.
    The Leafs = Familiarity, Back to Sweden in April. It’s also lucrative for him to retire a Laff.
    Vancouver = Cash. Back to Sweden in April. No real expectations of winning everything.
    I think in a way, this decision will pretty much define him as a competitor, as loyal,
    or as greedy.

39. #39 jack hab says:
    July 21, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Sorry… No real expectations of winning ANYTHING…

40. #40 hab faithful says:
    July 21, 2008 at 1:34 pm

actually I take it personal that he doesn’t want to come here. It’s a slap in the face to an franchise that has won more cups than any other team.
    In fact Vancouver, themselves, we’re having problems attracting players, so this really really hurts.

41. #41 habs4life says:
    July 21, 2008 at 2:02 pm

We are just fooled by Sundin and NHL. In this golfing season, only the Sundin “story” can drag Hockey fans to pay attention on the sports media.

I am fed up with the Sundin game. Whenever the hell you are going, I don’t care!

42. #42 jack hab says:
    July 21, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Hab Faithfull… Let brother jack set you straight.(LOL). The very first thing you need to
    do is get yourself a pint AND CHILL.The second is simply this: While you’re enjoying your
    drink, ask yourself this question – which free agent that didn’t sign here (under BG) went
    on to win The Stanley Cup on another team? I can’t think of any – can you?

Hey for what it’s worth – I’d like Sundin, or ANYBODY with any sort of status to come
    play here. But it’s got to come from them. Hamrlik, came because he wanted to stay in
    Canada, ‘where hockey means something’. Samsonov just came for the money. One is
    great, the other’s a goat.

43. #43 hab faithful says:
    July 21, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Jack hab;I know what you’re saying, but you know it does bother me that players don’t want to come here. I live in Montreal, and now we have that stigma attached to our team. Do you live in Montreal? Be3cause you kind of have to, to appreciate where I’m coming from. It’s alot easier when you live in another city. I guess I’m alittle bit too close to the action, with media and local tv reporters always hammering it into our heads. But I guess I’ll just have yo live with it, like it or not.

44. #44 Gimmeshelter27 says:
    July 21, 2008 at 3:13 pm

You play the cards you’re dealt.If some players dont want to go to Montreal maybe they dont have the passion and drive to live up to being a Hab.(its always the money right?)The team finished first in the conference with a rookie goalie and a young team.Sundin Schhmundin..stay in Sweden. I like the teams future just as it is as long as we sign key guys like Komisarek.

45. #45 jack hab says:
    July 21, 2008 at 3:38 pm

I live in Toronto – so all day everyday it’s everything Laff, and how they’re going to conquer
    the hockey world. F@#K’EM I SAY!

But I do admit I love Leaf Talk with Andy Frost! This is a radio show that comes on after
    every stinkin’ laff game. My favourite thing in the world is to record drunken fans that call
    in complaining after their dumb ass team loses and send the recording to my dumb ass
    Laff buddies. This particular hockey season should yield a very high amount and might
    lose me some friends.

Hey – CHE SARA, SARA

46. #46 Gimmeshelter27 says:
    July 21, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Sorry for yout plight jack hab but a lot of Leaf fans will be getting The Finger this year.Jeff that is….

47. Jeff Finger won’t even be playing all the time. He’s going to be their 3.5 Mill 7 or 8th defencemen lol!!! as for Sundin I want him to come or reitre, though everybody wants that lol. 6.5 Mill bye bye someone.

48. #48 jack hab says:
    July 21, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Let the games and complaints begin!

49. #49 Senet 1 says:
    July 22, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Well again I am back from a little R and R and I see the latendresse argument is still brewing more so than when I left.
    Sundin talk is still in the air but to be quite honest I am getting tired of it too and if he choses to go to Vancouver where they have no chance of winning then let him go and hope he finishes last in the conference. The rumour based on my research was a false rumour and just a zealous reporter trying to make a headline.

Now to stir the pot a little more with Latendresse. When I look at a hockey player I look to see if he is improving in his development. If everyone were honest they would have to see that he did improve his game this past year from the year before. That is what is important in his development. He has played 2 years as a 19-20 year old. He has scored 32 goals and in his second year he played less on the power play and less on the first line and still scored 16 goals. He improved his plus minus this past year. He still seems to be filling out into a mans body from a boys body. Now lets take a look at all this. How many other players on the top three lines scored more than 16 scores and how many other players on the third and fourth line scored 16 goals. How many players on the team score 32 goals in two years and carried a reasonable plus/minus record. Lets see four player scored more than 16 goals on the team this year. Those four all played consistently on the power play and on the first and second lines. Lats played mostly on the third and fourth lines with some duty on the first two lines when needed. 16 goals not bad. Let’s look at who didn’t score more than 16 goals, Koivu-16, S. Kost-9, Ryder -14,Lapierre-7, to name a few. the first three played most of the time on the first line when they played. Lats is not a slow as you guys say he is every big man looks like he is slower than the smaller guys. He has decent wheels, he will not win any races but he gets there just the same. If I had three guys on my third line who could all score 16 goals a year and play with an even plus/minus I would say I had a pretty good third line. Having said all that if you go back to my post #505 I would like to see him sent down to Hamilton. Get a good kick in the ass which should be a wake up call to let him know if he wants to stay in the NHL he better show he wants to be there. I think more than anything he has the talent, he just needs the motivation to show it. If in two years he has not improved to be the power forward or a good third/fourth line checker then he either stays in Hamilton or we trade him to Vancouver for Sundin?

50. #50 Dancan81 says:
    July 22, 2008 at 7:13 pm

BTW did I mention I hate Lats and his french poster boy image?