Free Agent Frenzy?

1. I will bet on Lats breaking out this year in scoring ,hits and fights…any takers?????

2. #2 Gimmeshelter27 says:
    July 23, 2008 at 9:48 am

I have this feeling that next Monday or so Sundin signs with Vancouver.Signs seem to point out west.

3. #3 Senet 1 says:
    July 23, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Just off the press, Sundin has got a no trade contract to coach an over 20 girls hockey team in Jamica and he has hired McCabe and Tucker as his assistants. Salary $100 a week. They all said they signed because they wanted to win the cup.

4. August 1st is the day. Mats has said August 1st will be the day he announces his future. An’t that far away folks!Anywhere but Toronto and I’ll be happy.

5. #5 Senet 1 says:
    July 23, 2008 at 9:02 pm

Poor joke I guess I am just getting tired of all this waiting. I hope Gainey is able to sign Sundin but if not lets get on with improving our team.

6. #6 RadicalDude says:
    July 24, 2008 at 1:00 am

Imagine the great Larry Robinson back in Montreal and coaching our immensely talented up-and-coming young defencemen like O’Byrne, Valentenko, McDonagh, Fischer, Subban, Weber, Belle, Henry, and Carle.

7. #7 Gimmeshelter27 says:
    July 25, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Dont you like Sundin’s latest. I cant decide now but August 1st I’ll know? Maybe

8. #8 Gimmeshelter27 says:
    July 25, 2008 at 2:52 pm

oops Maybe Habs can trade for Brett Favre instead

9. #9 KB 27 says:
    July 25, 2008 at 8:26 pm

If we don’t get sundin Offer Shanny 6 mill for 1 year . He’ll deffinetly take it!!!

July 26, 2008 at 10:53 am

Shanny wont bring anything we need … we have enough wingers

11. #11 alias says:
    July 26, 2008 at 11:54 am

What’s the deal with this Yanick Lehoux we signed yesterday? I know nothing of him….career AHLer or what?

12. #12 RadicalDude says:
    July 26, 2008 at 6:07 pm

26 yrs old, 6’1″, 200, good skater, puckhandler, and scorer. Not very physical. Has had some injuries but is a creative offensive player. Played in Russian Super League the 2nd half of last year. Could be a diamond in the rough. At the very least, he will solidify the center position down in Hamilton. Gainey’s signings this Summer bode well for the Bulldogs. Lots of good young new players will be on that team this coming Winter, including Mathieu Carle, Yanick Weber, Pavel Valentenko, Shawn Belle, Max Pacioretty, Ben Maxwell, Brock Trotter, Desharnais, and Stewart. The future looks good.

13. #13 alias says:
    July 26, 2008 at 11:10 pm

nice….always good to have some depth….thanks dude

14. I actually think this was a really good signing along with the other guys Mike Glumic or whatever and belle. I think that maybe Lehoux could take that spot away from Chippy. and I feel if we get Sundin Belle could fill in for the D men that get traded.but when Max Pacioretty has his first full season, which will probably be in a year or two he’ll be my fav player. I’ve liked him even before the draft.

15. #15 Lucky says:
    July 27, 2008 at 7:08 pm

I think Pacioretty is going to be a monster for us but I also like Wyman did you see his stats, not bad at all.
    I really like all our young guys it`s going to be an exciting to see these guys grow.
    As for Lehoux, I agree with you STUO11 he could be a diamond in the rough and will not be surprised me if he makes the big club but I really hope he doesn`t take Chippy job.

16. #16 RadicalDude says:
    July 27, 2008 at 8:38 pm

If Dandenault gets traded, I think Valentenko will be the one that takes his place. Valentenko is right on the cusp of making the big club, and may be the one that sits in the press box at the beginning of the year. The Canadiens’ web site lists him as 6’2″, 218. He has a mean streak, which is good to see in a defenseman. Shawn Belle and Mathieu Carle will fight it out to be the first ones called up in case of an injury. They will be 2 and 3 on the depth chart going into the season. Remember, Carle had a great training camp last year before he got injured. When he came back, he went to Hamilton and had a solid rookie season in the AHL.

17. #17 alias says:
    July 30, 2008 at 10:39 am

2 days….

18. #18 Gimmeshelter27 says:
    July 30, 2008 at 11:09 am

Yes 2 days until the white steam comes out of Mats sauna.I see him picking the left coast and the cash if he returns at all.That leaves Habs with 6 or so million.Sign big Komisarek now to an extension even if you must over pay.Will look like a bargain a year from now.

19. I’ll be happy no matter what happens. If he goes to T.O Toronto just gets 37 years older than they are now lol. If he goes to montreal we get the big Centremen we’ve been wanting, If He goes to Vancouver it doesn’t mean anything to us. If he retires no one gets him and then Montreal can look around for others.and ur right man, Komi needs to be re-signed!

20. Chris Chelios is leaving \Detroit unless he’ll take 0.601 Mil lol. Det needs to sign a couple of the young guys too like Quincey.

21. #21 Dancan81 says:
    July 30, 2008 at 5:33 pm

I still want Selanne if Sundin doesn’t sign with us. If not, save the extra cap space for the trade deadline and pick up whatever we’re missing for the playoffs then.

22. #22 jack hab says:
    July 30, 2008 at 9:06 pm

… and now Aug. 1st is a “soft deadline?”… I guess 3 and-a-half months wasn’t enough
    time… I could see myself really hating this guy if he doesn’t sign here.

Anyhow, here’s a joke I read on another site.

Q: Why won’t the NHL allow a team in Hamilton?

A: Because Toronto would want one too. BADA BING!!

23. listen too my joke. this is a LEAFS game i guess: Grabovski has the puck. he looks up he sees Hagman streaking on the left side. passes it too hagman. he has no room to shoot but Finger is wide open on the right side! Hagman passes to Finger…He winds up for the slaper,fakes,dekes,and scores! THE MARLIES WIN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! :D 8)

24. lol, that’s hilarious.

25. I don’t want to get anyone pissed off. but imagine if we still had Rebiero.

26. I’m not pissed at you but at Gainey for that. if we still had him and got sundin still somehow…

27. but gainey made up for that this year for sure,eh? I thought Price came here too early but really he didn’t. Gainey planned the Huet deal at the start of the season.price if this was he rookie year would struggle even as a back-up to HALAK imagine. but now price played better then expected this year and should be a superstar this year. he will get 35-42 wins this year and in his whole career I say he wins 475 or so wins.what do you guys think?(oh yeah, 475 wins including playoff games)

28. #28 alias says:
    July 31, 2008 at 10:16 am

Sundin may take longer to make a decision

what a douche

29. Price is really amazing. he doesn’t overreact on dekes. He’s actually really good on breakaways. I see him getting 4 Vezinas or more throughout his career.

30. That’s 1 mistake about ribeiro, but were still first, I don’t think any other GM could have pulled us out. But if he didn’t make 1 mistake we would have been cup winner last year. Ribeiro is really intense to and is perfect for the habs. He’s not strong but the habs need a dirty superstar like him. I think the habs can win the cup unless the wings go to the finals. but San Jose will kick them out.:)

31. #31 hab faithful says:
    July 31, 2008 at 11:46 am

yeah, Price is amazingly…..BAD! couldn’t stop a routine shot in the playoffs.

32. u know whats really funny though, Philedelphia is 5 Mill over the cap lol.

33. #33 habknot says:
    July 31, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Ribs was a cancer in the dressing room, seems to have matured in Dallas, good for him. He cost Julien his job here, and there isn’t a better tactician than Julien in the league – he just doesn’t scare anybody and the ‘three amigos’ needed to be scared. I loved his ability to rise to the ocaission in big moments, but didn’t like his disappearing act in the rough going. Too similar to the Kots [except they'll accept the punishment to make a play] to do us much good now. I was the only guy in my gang who moaned when we traded him. He still could go up a notch, two if he adds beef.

I think Price wore down a bit [calder cup, world juniors over last couple of years]. I’m glad Halak is such an able back-up [reminds me of McLean who played a few years ago for Van, big solid position, but quick when you think he's beat - maybe plays a bit too deep]. Price made some rookie mistakes; guess what, he was a rookie. I think he learns quickly, and the whole team will get to know his capabilities and quirks throughout the next season. I don’t think Umberger will score much on him over the next 10 years or so.

34. #35 habknot says:
    July 31, 2008 at 3:24 pm

salary cap info [not sure how up to date]

35. #36 jack hab says:
    July 31, 2008 at 3:47 pm

I could see Mats, going to Colorado so he could be with Tucker and Raycrap.

36. #37 alias says:
    July 31, 2008 at 7:34 pm

585 Pricefor#1job
    Posted on July 31st, 2008 at 3:00 pm. About ‘Free Agent Frenzy?’.

that is great…wow

Sorry but look up about 6 posts

37. #38 alias says:
    July 31, 2008 at 7:34 pm

586 habknot
    Posted on July 31st, 2008 at 3:24 pm. About ‘Free Agent Frenzy?’.

salary cap info [not sure how up to date]

http://www.nhlnumbers.com tends to be pretty accurate too.

38. #39 Gimmeshelter27 says:
    August 1, 2008 at 11:09 am

Well its August 1st and late afternoon in Sweden?………….Watch him sign a one year deal with Detroit for a miilion.

39. #40 Gimmeshelter27 says:
    August 1, 2008 at 11:12 am

From todays ESPN NHL Insider for what its worth:

Unrestricted free-agent center Mats Sundin is delaying his decision on whether to cotinue playing or retire, according to the Vancouver Sun.
    “There is no Aug. 1,” Sundin’s agent, J.P. Barry, told the Sun about the previously announced date for his client to announce his decision. “He set his own kind of deadline to make a decision in August but he’s not there yet. There’s not much more you can say. He needs more time.”

And forget about a renewed countdown to another date.

“Mats doesn’t want to get caught pinpointing dates or anything like that because it’s a reflection process he’s going through,” Barry told the Sun. “He is a guy who wants to be 100 per cent certain he wants to play.

“He is extremely flattered by the interest, and the ongoing interest in Vancouver and Montreal in particular, but the key is making that personal decision on playing.”

The Canucks, Canadiens and Maple Leafs have been open about their desire to get Sundin. Barry told Vancouver radio station Team 1040 that six teams are interested in Sundin and three of them do not want to be discussed publicly, according to TSN.ca.

According to TSN.ca, Barry told the radio station that Detroit is not one of the six teams. But what would you expect him to say if the Red Wings asked him not to reveal their interest?

Canucks GM Mike Gillis previously told the Vancouver Sun he believes it’s a two-team race to sign the unrestricted free agent.

“What I took from it was that it sounds like he is considering two teams, Toronto and us,” Gillis told the Sun.

Although the Canucks have made the richest offer [two years and $20M], Sundin told Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet that returning to the Maple Leafs is still a possibility.

“They made me a very good offer, even if it isn’t even close to what the Canucks have offered,” Sundin told Aftonbladet.

“But I have been in Toronto for 13 seasons and it is like home to me.

“Joe Nieuwendyk is back [in the front office] and he is a fantastic leader with a strong winning mentality. He will be a tremendous help in building a Stanley Cup contender.”

40. #41 hab faithful says:
    August 1, 2008 at 11:13 am

Actually I strongly believe Sundin will retire! and don’t expect any type of decision for another couple of weeks. He’s holding GM’s hostage again.
    Gainey should just forget about him because it’s not happening, and try to make a trade to acquire a center, and top 4th D man.

41. #42 habknot says:
    August 1, 2008 at 1:17 pm

What about Sakic. He and Koivu would end up fighting for the 2nd, 3rd center position [assuming Plek centers Kovi]; but the guy is absolutely one of the best [and under-rated superstar] centers in the league for the past decade. He’s a year older than Mats, but seems to be the next-best center out there. I like his personality more as well.

42. i agree with everything you have just said habknot

43. 588 alias
    Posted on July 31st, 2008 at 7:34 pm. About ‘Free Agent Frenzy?’.

585 Pricefor#1job
    Posted on July 31st, 2008 at 3:00 pm. About ‘Free Agent Frenzy?’.

that is great…wow

Sorry but look up about 6 posts

I was just putting my reply to your post.

44. #45 alias says:
    August 1, 2008 at 10:02 pm

ah okay then….my apologies

45. I guess Van,Wash and MTL are front runners for Maxim Afinogenov. Why won’t Bob Gainey just forget about Sundin?! Just tell Sundin he has like 3 days and then that’s it!

46. #47 habknot says:
    August 2, 2008 at 6:31 pm

STUO11, what’s this about Afinogenov [am I missing something here?] ; and give Mats the time he needs. If he just wants to play 82 games and retire rich[er], then let him go to Van or TO. If he wants to compete for the cup, he’ll listen to Bob ;-) . Otherwise we have money for rent-a-player come trade deadline.

47. #48 STUO11 says:
    August 3, 2008 at 11:09 am

It’s just one of those tingy’s from Eklund, I don’t really believe it. Plus Afinegenov is fast but we don’t need him.

August 3, 2008 at 1:57 pm

I as at the NASCAR race Saturday in the VIP tent,was a fantastic time rain or not in the VIP section we did not get wet !! I met Yvon Lambert and on the way out walked to the parking area shareing an umbrella with Patrice Brisbois,he did not have an umbrella I offered to share mine, he was very very down to earth and we had a nice chat on the way out … what a fantastic way to end a great day !

49. #50 Jaker1 says:
    August 3, 2008 at 2:45 pm

I think now is the time for Gainey to make his move. You have options like Shanahan (Great player and good guy to settle digruntled Russians down).I would not wait for the trade deadline as we saw this past spring when the only deal he made was Huet to Washington for a second round pick. That was not progress. Make your deals now. If you can”t get Sundin (which personally I don’t think he will Toronto or retire) then go after smaller players.